• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
You know, I came across this Twitter post today...

There was a problem fetching the tweet

I'm not saying it totally holds water, but I find it interesting to think about...
As someone using a Paper Mario profile pic on the Smash tag thingy, I hope it works :^)

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Here's a new question which is a spin-off from the one from yesterday:

Suppose Fighter Pass 2 consists entirely of characters originating from Fighter Pass 1 companies. That means you need characters from:
  • Sega/ATLUS
  • Square Enix
  • Microsoft
  • SNK
Who are your picks?
Sega: Kazuma Kiryu
Square Enix: Tossing up between Terra, Kefka or Sephiroth (to give FF a bit more love) or Sora, the Crossover King himself.
Microsoft: Master Chief or a Killer Instinct character like Jago, Spinal, Orchid or Fulgore.
SNK: Nakoruru.

I'm not saying it totally holds water, but I find it interesting to think about...
It would be interesting if Nintendo were curious in seeing what avatars were popular even if they weren't representing playable characters - Perhaps it'd be used as a gauge of popularity amongst Spirits who missed out Fighter Pass 1 (Rex & Pyra/Mythra, Geno) or even possible data on deconfirmed Assist Trophies still remaining popular as requests (Waluigi, Isaac, Shadow, Spring-Man)...

If it were true, then I'd be pretty surprised if they're using online profiles as a reference point to promote characters to playable (ISAAC GETS THE SECOND CHANCE, BABY! ...and Waluigi), but I doubt it. They'd probably get more worthwhile results looking at the Ballot results again and if there's still demand for said characters after the Fighter Pass 1.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Here's a new question which is a spin-off from the one from yesterday:

Suppose Fighter Pass 2 consists entirely of characters originating from Fighter Pass 1 companies. That means you need characters from:
  • Sega/ATLUS
  • Square Enix
  • Microsoft
  • SNK
Who are your picks?
  • Sega/ATLUS: Jack Frost?
  • Square Enix: Neku
  • Microsoft: Battletoads?
  • SNK: Goenitz/Goeniko

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Last edited:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
Hypothetical time! Suppose we're getting a new Smash game in the next console roughly 7 years from now. What kind of features would you like to see? Here are some of my own ideas:
- In Team battles, certain characters in winning teams will have an interactive victory together.
- A KOF-inspired color change mode that allows players to customize their favorite character's alts.
- Stamina-Stock Battle, making it so that you explode every time you reach 0% and respawn until all of your lives run out.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Hypothetical time! Suppose we're getting a new Smash game in the next console roughly 7 years from now. What kind of features would you like to see? Here are some of my own ideas:
- In Team battles, certain characters in winning teams will have an interactive victory together.
- A KOF-inspired color change mode that allows players to customize their favorite character's alts.
- Stamina-Stock Battle, making it so that you explode every time you reach 0% and respawn until all of your lives run out.
Melee physics but better (e,g., auto L-cancelling/reduced landing lag, less safe ledge, et cetera)

andree123

Smash Ace

I believe that we need a poll for people using portraits in online.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Hypothetical time! Suppose we're getting a new Smash game in the next console roughly 7 years from now. What kind of features would you like to see?
Ultimate Deluxe. Just Ultimate with more characters.

Character Changes
Give Ganondorf a completely unique moveset. Make Black Shadow Captain Falcon's echo and give him Ganondorf's old moveset.
Make each of Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon a separate character, give every Pokemon except Mewtwo a trainer.
Give Chrom a new unique moveset. Make Lucina his echo. Make Roy Marth's echo.
Give Young Link and Toon Link different subweapons so they aren't just using the same Bow/Bomb/Boomerang combo as Adult Link.
Give Falco the Sniper Rifle and Wolf the Machine Gun from StarFox Assault.
Make Dr. Mario and Pichu echoes.

Gameplay Features
Make Hazardless versions of stages selectable from stage select the same way Omega and Battlefield versions are.
Remember my last color selection for each character. Smash 3DS did this. No idea why Wii U and Ultimate don't.
Actually balance FS Meter FSes so that people will actually use them in competitive.
Boss Rush mode.

I believe that we need a poll for people using portraits in online.
I use King Hippo.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Hypothetical time! Suppose we're getting a new Smash game in the next console roughly 7 years from now. What kind of features would you like to see?
This already exists.
I want these.
Ultimate Deluxe. Just Ultimate with more characters...

...Make Hazardless versions of stages selectable from stage select the same way Omega and Battlefield versions are.
Remember my last color selection for each character. Smash 3DS did this. No idea why Wii U and Ultimate don't.
Actually balance FS Meter FSes so that people will actually use them in competitive.
Boss Rush mode.
And these.

And also...

-Smash Run: The normal Smash Run stuff, except there's more than one map and spirits are involved. You could do some pretty cool stuff with that.

I'll think of more later.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Hang on a minute. I don't recall there being a composite mode where you die at 0 and come back until you run out of stocks. Or am I thinking of Special Smash?
Stamina mode is no longer part of special smash. It's part of normal smash now and can be combined with time and stock modes.

Depending on how different the console is, I'd honestly expect a bunch of characters to be cut (mostly clones and third parties), but with more quality of life put into the ones that are still there and some new additions.

My wants:
1) More costumes. Give Fire Emblem characters their upgraded classes, give Toon Link the lobster pajamas, give Luigi Mr. L, give Samus different armor styles.
2) Balance final smashes properly.
3) Maybe some new mechanic. Perhaps do the Rivals of Aether thing and give tilts/smashes separate buttons. Give everyone air smashes. As we have it now, almost half of a controller's buttons are redundant. I'd be down with a dedicated final smash button, for example.
4) Change some characters up. Samus could use an overhaul. Ganondorf could be more faithful. Lucina would actually be really cool and different if she was given inspiration bevond "I'm pretending to be Marth."
5) Customizable stage hazards. I'd ideally want separate toggles for moving platforms, stage scrolling, bosses, and stuff that hurts you like spikes and lava. On a competitive level that would open up a lot of stages, at least in theory.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion

Regardless of whether it holds water or not, My most wanted has always been the online Icon I used. Ridley For Brawl and Wii U and Ashley for Ultimate.

Dark Bagel

Smash Ace
More costumes. Give Fire Emblem characters their upgraded classes, give Toon Link the lobster pajamas, give Luigi Mr. L, give Samus different armor styles.
This. I'm still baffled DLC costume packs for individual fighters are a non-feature. Nintendo is seriously sitting on a pretty sizable pile of money by omitting this, and if it were implemented at some point in either this Smash game or the next, I GUARANTEE you it would sell extremely well, probably moreso than any mii costume DLC before it (with Sans as the obvious exception).

krokotopia101

Smash Apprentice
If by some miracle we get every character in a new series (which is a pipe dream at most) there're many bosses from each of them to make as bosses in Smash. Brawl & Ultimate gave us Rayquaza, Porky, Dracula, Ganon, Marx and so on. Needs more bosses fights man. Not just stage bosses (though they are a good touch.) There's literally a total of 85 (more or less) franchises to choose from to make into bosses in Smash. I'm just salivating at the thought of like...dozens of bosses. But like I said, pipe dream.

KatKit

Smash Lord
This. I'm still baffled DLC costume packs for individual fighters are a non-feature. Nintendo is seriously sitting on a pretty sizable pile of money by omitting this, and if it were implemented at some point in either this Smash game or the next, I GUARANTEE you it would sell extremely well, probably moreso than any mii costume DLC before it (with Sans as the obvious exception).
Patience.

I think that's the reason we only have 8 costumes this time around.

Last edited:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
If by some miracle we get every character in a new series (which is a pipe dream at most) there're many bosses from each of them to make as bosses in Smash. Brawl & Ultimate gave us Rayquaza, Porky, Dracula, Ganon, Marx and so on. Needs more bosses fights man. Not just stage bosses (though they are a good touch.) There's literally a total of 85 (more or less) franchises to choose from to make into bosses in Smash. I'm just salivating at the thought of like...dozens of bosses. But like I said, pipe dream.
On that note, promote Marx and turn him into a base-roster newcomer. Just give him a regular form similar to how Bowser and Ganondorf already exist in weaker player forms.

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman
- Balance Final Smashes to make them competitively viable with the FS meter
- Rehaul the spirit system to make it competitively viable: when you battle, you can take 1 spirit. Effects can be +1 mid-air jump, etc.
- Alternatively, a "stance"-system? Pick 1 stance when you pick your char: decreased weight & increased speed / increased damage taken & received / etc
- A jump-out option at the ledge on top of the jump-in we already have (maybe make the other options except neutral get-up slightly less safe too as a result)
- Holding the jump button makes you full jump, even if you buffer an aerial
- Have a way to input a neutral aerial even if you hold a direction that isn't diagonal c-stick (maybe by pressing the right stick? sorry gc controller users)
- Fix that accursed C-stick!
- Make B-reversing and wavebouncing slightly more consistent
- Ability to shield during the turnaround dash animation
- Reintroduce the ability to crouch cancel jab, or make it so c-stick after jab 1 gives you a smash or tilt, not another jab
- Buffering then holding shield in mid-air always gives you a neutral airdodge (doing it once or spamming it still gives you the directional airdodge)
- Hitting your opponent as they are in attacking animation hitstuns them longer (the "just keep spamming quick aerials" meta is dumb)

I could find more but that's already a lot.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Does Corrin, Incineroar and Piranha Plant getting cut count as a feature?

Serious answer though: I'd like a return to the old style of Final Smashes. Less cutscenes and more FS where you actually do something beyond land an initial hit with arbitrary properties.

Also more bosses, a boss battles mode, and a single player campaign more heavy on those gorgeous character interaction cutscenes please thank you.

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman
The C-Stick is the right stick on most controllers so I highly doubt they will change it.
I just realised when I rephrased that to add the diagonal C-stick part, it wasn't really clear. I meant "N-air as you hold a direction with the left stick... which you can currently do if you tilt your C-stick diagonally, but it's usually not too practical with several controllers as they don't have nicks"

krokotopia101

Smash Apprentice
On that note, promote Marx and turn him into a base-roster newcomer. Just give him a regular form similar to how Bowser and Ganondorf already exist in weaker player forms.
I've had that idea of having Kirby character reps, we need more of them, Kirby's Sakurai's boi anyway. Still await for Adeleine, Magolor, Taranza, Susie, & the Mage Sisters to represent the series they first appeared in.....AND REPLACE BOSS MARX WITH NIGHTMARE.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
If they ported Ultimate, It'd be interesting if they added a unique character from each possible franchise. For example:
Super Mario: Waluigi
Donkey Kong: Dixie Kong
The Legend of Zelda: Skull Kid
Metroid: Metroid
Yoshi: Poochy
Pokémon: Arceus
Earthbound: Boney (A clearly unbiased pick that makes total sense)
F-0: Samurai Gorou
Fire Emblem: Lyn
Kid Icarus: Viridi
WarioWare: Ashley
Metal Gear: Raiden
Sonic The Hedgehog: Tails
Mega Man: Zero
Mii: Mii Caster
Xenoblade Chronicles: Team Elma
Street Fighter: Chun-Li
Final Fantasy VIII: Chocobo
Castlevania: Alucard
Dragon Quest: Slime

RWyvern

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RWyvern
- Rehaul the spirit system to make it competitively viable: when you battle, you can take 1 spirit. Effects can be +1 mid-air jump, etc.
- Alternatively, a "stance"-system? Pick 1 stance when you pick your char: decreased weight & increased speed / increased damage taken & received / etc
I’d like to see spirits get more use, but I’m pretty sure no matter what you do, competitively they’ll end up like Street Fighter x Tekken’s gem system — cumbersome, and ignored. Same sentiments towards stances.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
If they ported Ultimate, It'd be interesting if they added a unique character from each possible franchise. For example:
Super Mario: Waluigi
Donkey Kong: Dixie Kong
The Legend of Zelda: Skull Kid
Metroid: Metroid
Yoshi: Poochy
Pokémon: Arceus
Earthbound: Boney (A clearly unbiased pick that makes total sense)
F-0: Samurai Gorou
Fire Emblem: Lyn
Kid Icarus: Viridi
WarioWare: Ashley
Metal Gear: Raiden
Sonic The Hedgehog: Tails
Mega Man: Zero
Mii: Mii Caster
Xenoblade Chronicles: Team Elma
Street Fighter: Chun-Li
Final Fantasy VIII: Chocobo
Castlevania: Alucard