• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

krokotopia101

Smash Apprentice
If they ported Ultimate, It'd be interesting if they added a unique character from each possible franchise. For example:
Super Mario: Waluigi
Donkey Kong: Dixie Kong
The Legend of Zelda: Skull Kid
Metroid: Metroid
Yoshi: Poochy
Pokémon: Arceus
Earthbound: Boney (A clearly unbiased pick that makes total sense)
F-0: Samurai Gorou
Fire Emblem: Lyn
Kid Icarus: Viridi
WarioWare: Ashley
Metal Gear: Raiden
Sonic The Hedgehog: Tails
Mega Man: Zero
Mii: Mii Caster
Xenoblade Chronicles: Team Elma
Street Fighter: Chun-Li
Final Fantasy VIII: Chocobo
Castlevania: Alucard
Dragon Quest: Slime
Skull Kid ain't unique, it's bandwagoned to heck......MIDNA REQUESTS WHERE THEY AT?!
I agree about everyone except Arceus....although Arceus vs :ultpalutena: or :ultridley: or of course the most god of all men himself............
:ultkirby:
sounds like such a holy fight.....but still prefer Sceptile & Zoroark for a Unova & Hoenn rep. Since technically.....

:ultpikachu::ultmewtwo: :ultsquirtle::ultivysaur::ultcharizard::ultjigglypuff:Kanto
:ultpichu:Johto
:ultlucario:Sinnoh
:ultgreninja:Kalos
:ultincineroar:Alola

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Skull Kid ain't unique, it's bandwagoned to heck......MIDNA REQUESTS WHERE THEY AT?!
I agree about everyone except Arceus....although Arceus vs :ultpalutena: or :ultridley: or of course the most god of all men himself............
:ultkirby:
sounds like such a holy fight.....but still prefer Sceptile & Zoroark for a Unova & Hoenn rep. Since technically.....

:ultpikachu::ultmewtwo: :ultsquirtle::ultivysaur::ultcharizard::ultjigglypuff:Kanto
:ultpichu:Johto
:ultlucario:Sinnoh
:ultgreninja:Kalos
:ultincineroar:Alola
Gothitelle and Infernape would be cool, too! Though for the latter we already have two fire starters so I'll admit a third would be excessive.
Sceptile would've been a great DLC character during the Smash 4 days, he's super overdue.

krokotopia101

Smash Apprentice
Gothitelle and Infernape would be cool, too! Though for the latter we already have two fire starters so I'll admit a third would be excessive.
Sceptile would've been a great DLC character during the Smash 4 days, he's super overdue.
Plus keep in mind Lucario's a Sinnoh rep & Infernape's a Sinnoh starter. That being said, I welcome Sceptile to make that holy trinity to balance it out. Greninja's a Starter Water-Type, Incinceroar's a Starter Fire-Type, and Sceptile would finish the trinity by being a Starter Grass-Type. 3 starters from Kanto, and 3 from other regions.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
If they ported Ultimate, It'd be interesting if they added a unique character from each possible franchise. For example:
Super Mario: Waluigi
The Legend of Zelda: Skull Kid
Metroid: Metroid
Yoshi: Poochy
Pokémon: Arceus
Earthbound: Boney (A clearly unbiased pick that makes total sense)
F-0: Samurai Gorou
Fire Emblem: Lyn
Kid Icarus: Viridi
WarioWare: Ashley
Metal Gear: Raiden
Sonic The Hedgehog: Tails
Mega Man: Zero
Mii: Mii Caster
Xenoblade Chronicles: Team Elma
Final Fantasy VIII: Chocobo
Dragon Quest: Slime
I like this, here's my take:
Super Mario: Geno
Legend of Zelda: Skull Kid
Metroid: Sylux
Yoshi: Poochie
Kirby: Bandana Waddle Dee
Star Fox: Krystal
Pokemon: Lycanroc
Earthbound: Claus
F-Zero: Samurai Goroh
Ice Climber: Polar Bear
Fire Emblem: Byleth (assuming he's not DLC. If he is, Sigurd)
Game & Watch: Uhhh... Mrs. Game & Watch?
Kid Icarus: Medusa
Wario Ware: Mona
Metal Gear Solid: Raiden
Sonic: Tails
Pikmin: Louie
R.O.B: Professor Hector
Animal Crossing: Tom Nook
Mega Man: X
Wii Fit: Wii Balance Board
Punch-Out: King Hippo
Mii: Wii Mii (moveset based on Wii Sports, Wii Play, and Wii Sports Resort)
Pac-Man: Ms. Pac-Man
Xenoblade: Elma
Duck Hunt: Hogan's Alley Gangster
Final Fantasy: Tifa (if it has to be a FF7 character. If not, Terra)
Bayonetta: Jeanne
Splatoon: Octoling (armed with Splatoon 2 weapons)
Persona: Yu Narukami
Dragon Quest: Jessica
Banjo-Kazooie: Gruntilda
Fatal Fury: Mai Shiranui

krokotopia101

Smash Apprentice
I like this, here's my take:
Super Mario: Geno
Legend of Zelda: Skull Kid
Metroid: Sylux
Yoshi: Poochie
Kirby: Bandana Waddle Dee
Star Fox: Krystal
Pokemon: Lycanroc
Earthbound: Claus
F-Zero: Samurai Goroh
Ice Climber: Polar Bear
Fire Emblem: Byleth (assuming he's not DLC. If he is, Sigurd)
Game & Watch: Uhhh... Mrs. Game & Watch?
Kid Icarus: Medusa
Wario Ware: Mona
Metal Gear Solid: Raiden
Sonic: Tails
Pikmin: Louie
R.O.B: Professor Hector
Animal Crossing: Tom Nook
Mega Man: X
Wii Fit: Wii Balance Board
Punch-Out: King Hippo
Mii: Wii Mii (moveset based on Wii Sports, Wii Play, and Wii Sports Resort)
Pac-Man: Ms. Pac-Man
Xenoblade: Elma
Duck Hunt: Hogan's Alley Gangster
Final Fantasy: Tifa (if it has to be a FF7 character. If not, Terra)
Bayonetta: Jeanne
Splatoon: Octoling (armed with Splatoon 2 weapons)
Persona: Yu Narukami
Dragon Quest: Jessica
Banjo-Kazooie: Gruntilda
Fatal Fury: Mai Shiranui
I don't even think a Mrs. Game & Watch is a real thing........or well the fanart of her really makes me pray that she isn't.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
So what's most likely to be in Smash first, Resident Evil or Devil May Cry?
I would definitely say Resident Evil. It made a name for itself on Nintendo consoles and has remained on Nintendo since, it's horror reprrepresentation we don't have yet, it's Capcom's biggest seller, it has a lot of Capcom's most popular characters in it, the list goes on and on.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I don't even think a Mrs. Game & Watch is a real thing........or well the fanart of her really makes me pray that she isn't.
To be fair, neither was Mr. Game & Watch, he was an amalgamation of various Game & Watch characters.

Game & Watch was the one series I was absolutely stumped on though. I could think of something for Ice Climbers, R.O.B., and Duck Hunt, but I had zero ideas for Game & Watch.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Probably Devil May Cry

Resident Evil is gonna get shafted with Mii Costumes i bet. I Just don't think a Resident Evil Character would transition as well to Playable Character. They probably gonna make Jill, Wesker, and a Zombie as Mii Costumes and call it a day

Not to say a Resident Evil character wouldn't have a moveset...they most certainly will, but i don't think it's happening when i think Dante would transition better to a moveset

Don't care if Resident Evil has the Populairty and Sales, I Just not seeing it...If they do get in as playable, I Will Definitely EAT IT, Boulders and Sandwiches and all.

Yes for Capcom i'm betting Resident Evil Mii Costumes, Dante AND Vergil as playable... and yes

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I would definitely say Resident Evil. It made a name for itself on Nintendo consoles and has remained on Nintendo since, it's horror reprrepresentation we don't have yet, it's Capcom's biggest seller, it has a lot of Capcom's most popular characters in it, the list goes on and on.
Since when?

Resident Evil has always been a primarily Playstation series. The first Resident Evil was a Playstation exclusive, and both 2 and 3 came out on Playstation first before being later ported to Nintendo systems. Most side games were similar–Playstation first, other consoles later. Resident Evil 4 was a Gamecube exclusive for a bit, but got that exclusivity canned before it even released. Nintendo did get some titles like a remake of Resident Evil 1, Zero and some rail shooters, and I guess the 3DS got side-offerings in the form of the Mercenaries and Revelations, but those weren't much. Resident Evil 5 and 6 skipped out on Nintendo systems on release and are only now being ported to the Switch years later, and 7 and 2 Remake remain missing.

Resident Evil has plenty of reasons going for it's inclusion, but association with Nintendo is definitely not one of the first ones I'd cite.

Last edited:

Nquoid

Smash Ace
They both have strengths and weaknesses, Resident Evil has stronger Nintendo ties than Devil May Cry, in that the franchise had been on Nintendo platforms before Switch. It's easily the bigger franchise and between 1, 2, 4 and 7 has claims to some of the best horror/action games ever.

But Devil May Cry more easily offers up gameplay opportunities (I've seen the resource management go around for Resident Evil, which whilst fun, isn't as immediate as combo guy) even if that niche has been filled Bayonetta, who was literally created by the same person.

Right now? I say Resident Evil, but that's 100% my personal bias because I strongly weight that Nintendo pedigree (especially 4) over DMC.

Since when?

Resident Evil has always been a primarily Playstation series. The first Resident Evil was a Playstation exclusive, and both 2 and 3 came out on Playstation first before being later ported to Nintendo systems. Resident Evil 4 was a Gamecube exclusive for a bit, but got that exclusivity canned before it even released. I guess the 3DS got side-offerings in the form of the Mercenaries and Revelations, but those weren't much. Resident Evil 5 and 6 skipped out on Nintendo systems on release and are only now being ported to the Switch years later, and 7 and 2 Remake remain missing.

Resident Evil has plenty of reasons going for it's inclusion, but association with Nintendo is definitely not one of the first ones I'd cite.
It was definitely more associated with PlayStation in the early days, but I do think the Gamecube days of Resident Evil Remake, Resident Evil 0 and Resident Evil 4 all being exclusive to Nintendo platforms has stayed with a lot of people. Plus Capcom was always putting out exclusive Resident Evil games for 3DS and Wii (that were sometimes better than their main series counterparts...) And the Switch support is obviously a conscious effort on their part.

Since then they've done the standard Sony/Microsoft split of most big third parties for the mainline titles.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
If by some miracle we get every character in a new series (which is a pipe dream at most) there're many bosses from each of them to make as bosses in Smash. Brawl & Ultimate gave us Rayquaza, Porky, Dracula, Ganon, Marx and so on. Needs more bosses fights man. Not just stage bosses (though they are a good touch.) There's literally a total of 85 (more or less) franchises to choose from to make into bosses in Smash. I'm just salivating at the thought of like...dozens of bosses. But like I said, pipe dream.
Giga Bowser [Mario Bros.]
Ganon [Legend of Zelda]
Mother Brain [Metroid]
Marx [Kirby]
Andross(N64 version) [Star Fox]
Arceus [Pokemon]
Porky [Earthbound]
Dark Dragon Medeus [Fire Emblem]
Medusa [Kid Icarus]
Liquid Snake piloting Metal Gear REX [Metal Gear]
Eggman piloting Death Egg Robot [Sonic the Hedgehog]
Dr. Wily piloting Wily Machine [Mega Man]
Safer Sephiroth [Final Fantasy]
Dracula [Castlevania]
Rathalos [Monster Hunter]

Less cutscenes and more FS where you actually do something beyond land an initial hit with arbitrary properties.
All of those were awful...short and to the point is 10x better.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
It was definitely more associated with PlayStation in the early days, but I do think the Gamecube days of Resident Evil Remake, Resident Evil 0 and Resident Evil 4 all being exclusive to Nintendo platforms has stayed with a lot of people. Plus Capcom was always putting out exclusive Resident Evil games for 3DS and Wii (that were sometimes better than their main series counterparts...) And the Switch support is obviously a conscious effort on their part.

Since then they've done the standard Sony/Microsoft split of most big third parties for the mainline titles.
Except Resident Evil 4 famously wasn't a Nintendo exclusive. Spin-offs also mean less than main series entries, regardless of quality. When I advocate for Sora, I do mention Kingdom Heart's ties with Nintendo, but at the end of the day Kingdom Hearts is more associated with Playstation than Nintendo. It's the same thing with Resident Evil. It's got ties with Nintendo, but they historically haven't been that strong. One could point to the recent outpouring of support as something, but I wouldn't really point to the past in this case.

Not that this really matters, since my argument is purely semantic. I do agree that Resident Evil is likely, but I don't want to call a Capcom character since Resident Evil, Phoenix Wright, and even Devil May Cry all have valid points towards their inclusion.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
I really wouldn't use RE ports as evidence of anything. Capcom famously tries to port RE to anything that it'll sell on, that's why most RE titles skipped the Wii U.

Nquoid

Smash Ace
Except Resident Evil 4 famously wasn't a Nintendo exclusive. Spin-offs also mean less than main series entries, regardless of quality. When I advocate for Sora, I do mention Kingdom Heart's ties with Nintendo, but at the end of the day Kingdom Hearts is more associated with Playstation than Nintendo. It's the same thing with Resident Evil. It's got ties with Nintendo, but they historically haven't been that strong. One could point to the recent outpouring of support as something, but I wouldn't really point to the past in this case.

Not that this really matters, since my argument is purely semantic. I do agree that Resident Evil is likely, but I don't want to call a Capcom character since Resident Evil, Phoenix Wright, and even Devil May Cry all have valid points towards their inclusion.
Not disagreeing that the Playstation ties were stronger, but the Nintendo ties in the Gamecube days were there and they were very good. Gamecube was the only platform that you could play every main series entry up to that point, and they got three exclusive titles. Yes, the Resident Evil 4 port was announced before release, but the promotional cycle for that game focused on it as an exclusive, prominent showings at Nintendo E3 conferences and the game still came with that "only on Gamecube" triangle. Nine months at the end of a console cycle, especially a year where Nintendo delayed Twilight Princess, meant a lot.

It was brief, but for a few years there, Gamecube was THE Resident Evil console.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Doesn’t Phoenix Wright have strong ties with Nintendo?
Yeah, game series started on Nintendo and has stayed there for its entire lifespan, though the PS4, XBO, PC, and mobile have all gotten ports of the original trilogy I believe.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Since when?

Resident Evil has always been a primarily Playstation series. The first Resident Evil was a Playstation exclusive, and both 2 and 3 came out on Playstation first before being later ported to Nintendo systems. Most side games were similar–Playstation first, other consoles later. Resident Evil 4 was a Gamecube exclusive for a bit, but got that exclusivity canned before it even released. Nintendo did get some titles like a remake of Resident Evil 1, Zero and some rail shooters, and I guess the 3DS got side-offerings in the form of the Mercenaries and Revelations, but those weren't much. Resident Evil 5 and 6 skipped out on Nintendo systems on release and are only now being ported to the Switch years later, and 7 and 2 Remake remain missing.

I find it funny you list things that would make me consider it to have a strong Nintendo presence but use it to list reasons why it's not a strong presence.
Even if some of the exclusive titles get ported to its competitors, they were still once exlcusives. Some of which did remain exclusive for sometime.

Then of course, the PS/multiplat RE games get ported to Nintendo and the Nintendo RE games get ported to PS/multiplat. So with that porting going both ways, don't they kind of cancel out?

Even looking at mainline versus spin off, every mainline RE game is available on a Nintendo console in some form (yes, even RE7 thanks to a cloud based Switch release in Japan).

Then looking at history, RE's strongest Nintendo presence was probably the Gamecube-Wii era. Even with the infamous porting of RE4 to PS2 and 5 and 6 sticking to the more powerful consoles, both the GC and Wii got plenty of RE support. Heck, even the Wii U got a RE game. Fast forward to now with the Switch, Nintendo fans are being treated to plenty of RE again (despite Capcom not being the best with pricing or physical releases).

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Since when?

RE0 and REmake were both exclusive to Nintendo until VERY recently, Resident Evil 4 was planned and promoted as a Gamecube exclusive; Revelations (which was considered the best one since 4 when it released), Mercenaries 3D, Umbrella Chronicles, Darkside Chronicles, Resident Evil Gaiden (no one remembers this game), were all specifically developed for Nintendo consoles, and the fact that Resident Evil 2 Remake is the ONLY game in the entire mainline franchise to not appear on a Nintendo console yet is pretty telling.

If anything they're equally associated with Playstation as Nintendo but even then the modern popularity of Resident Evil didn't take off till the Nintendo era of games. Resident Evil 1 and 2 sold, yeah, but Resident Evil Remake sold well enough (1.35 Million) and was followed very closely by a completely original Gamecube exclusive a game and followed after that by RE4 which was intended as a Nintendo exclusive. There's a lot of Nintendo history there and you can't really pass off the first game being on Playstation as the reason it's associated with Playstation.

Edit: and if you want to get REAL technical. Resident Evil 1; alongside Dragon Quest VII, Final Fantasy VII, Metal Gear Solid, Symphony of the Night among others, was planned as a Nintendo "Ultra" 64 exclusive until Nintendo went with the decision to use Cartridges over CD's which not only limited game space and compression but also cost more to produce. So where'd they go? You guessed it.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
if we're gonna talk about capcom characters devoted to nintendo hoo boy do i have a lawyer for you

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I don't want either, put in Okami.

Amaterasu is a benevolent goddess and a good doggo.
Legit the only 3rd party that could make me excited at this point, now that we have Banjo of course.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
All I know is that if Resident Evil gets in Smash, it should be both Jill and Leon, like how Castlevania revealed both Simon and Richter.

Jill gets revealed, saving Luigi from a zombie in the Spencer Mansion: "Jill unlocks her way in!"

Cut to gameplay footage. Then, she gets in the room where the ceiling can fall on you, and someone pulls her out just in time to save her like how Barry Burton did, except this time:

"That was close, you almost became a Jill sandwich." "Leon says thanks, BRO!"

Cut to more gameplay footage, then a segment at the end showing the other fighters running away from Leon as he quips "Where's everyone going? Bingo?"

Basically if a Resident Evil character is revealed without any memes referenced I'll be sad.

Last edited:

Nquoid

Smash Ace
All I know is that if Resident Evil gets in Smash, it should be both Jill and Leon, like how Castlevania revealed both Simon and Richter.

Jill gets revealed, saving Luigi from a zombie in the Spencer Mansion: "Jill unlocks her way in!"

Cut to gameplay footage. Then, she gets in the room where the ceiling can fall on you, and someone pulls her out just in time to save her like how Barry Burton did, except this time:

"That was close, you almost became a Jill sandwich." "Leon says thanks, BRO!"

Cut to more gameplay footage, then a segment at the end showing the other fighters running away from Leon as he quips "Where's everyone going? Bingo?"

Basically if a Resident Evil character is revealed without any memes referenced I'll be sad.
I think that's the way a lot of people would want it to go. But there really is no reason why Leon and Jill would be the characters sadly.

Either you do Chris and Jill or Leon and Claire. Or you do all four. No matter how popular Jill and Leon are, I doubt they split the protagonists of the first two games up if they do alts.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I think that's the way a lot of people would want it to go. But there really is no reason why Leon and Jill would be the characters sadly.
For Fighter's Pass #5? Yes.

In general? No. I could see DLC Echoes being likely if they're paired with the progenitor, implying they're echoes of newcomers.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Ah yes! Everyone's talking about their favourite lawyer from the Nintendo DS line of games.

Apollo Justice!
CelJaded-Apollo-Justice-Ace-Attorney-Banner.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom