• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I wish people could stop pretending they don't want FE characters for some "greater good of Smash" when they really just don't personally like them.
Like, I don't care if you don't want Edelgard, that's your opinion, but at least admit it's because you like having bad taste and not because you care about "proper series representation" or whatever.

D

Deleted member

KOS-MOS supporters are just greedy because we already have Shulk who totally perfectly represents the entire Xeno series

**** outta here
Last time I checked Xenosaga is another Franchise owned by Namco, not Nintendo the gameplay is also very different. Also Shulk is the only "Xeno" character playable in Smash, FE has 7.
Also I can feel your salt over here, chill dude, don't know why you bring other KOS-MOS fans when I'm the only one here.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I'm just going to say that I'd rather not see another Fire Emblem character. Marth, Roy, Ike and Robin were fine but Lucina, Chrom and Corrin really made me sick of the series. Even then the series itself really doesn't impress me and Fire Emblem three houses did nothing to change that. It just had the feeling of being Persona 5 but in the medieval era with tactical rpg mechanics.

Byleth wouldn't make me excited as I'd imagine they would be Simon but with Hero's magic attacks. I'd pick Green Samus any day of the week.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I wish people could stop pretending they don't want FE characters for some "greater good of Smash" when they really just don't personally like them.
Like, I don't care if you don't want Edelgard, that's your opinion, but at least admit it's because you like having bad taste and not because you care about "proper series representation" or whatever.
Eh, I somehow still prefer that say they don't want Edelgard because something, something, she's pure evil, worst person ever created in fiction, and so on, and so forth.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Fire Piranha Plant is coming. He will be an echo fighter based on Marth.

Waddle Dee is also on the way. He is almost a 1:1 copy of Kirby, being an echo fighter also. However, his Down-Special is affected by the weight of Sakurai's Kirby bias, and therefor falls at 8 times the rate.

In the final Smash Direct, Sakurai will explain that Geno has always been in the game. He will spend 45 minutes encouraging fans to play as Mii Gunner and pretend they're playing as Geno dressed in a Mii Costume.

The DLC cycle will then conclude.

Remember this post. You will quote me.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Last time I checked Xenosaga is another Franchise owned by Namco, not Nintendo the gameplay is also very different. Also Shulk is the only "Xeno" character playable in Smash, FE has 7.
Also I can feel your salt over here, chill dude, don't know why you bring other KOS-MOS fans when I'm the only one here.
lol I can name three other KOS-MOS supporters who frequent this thread, myself included. I'm trying to put it into words you understand. If they added Rex, Pyra, Mythra, Addam, Lora, and Fiora would you consider that a win for Xenosaga fans and tell other KOS-MOS fans that we should be grateful for all the awesome Xeno rep and stop asking for her?

Last edited:

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
What happened now?

Also people want Byleth just because they're new, as soon a new FE lord comes out they'll want that instead.
For the record, I am an avid Rex & Pyra supporter. I have to deal with people constantly ****ting on those characters because of the loud and vocal Hatedom that Xenoblade Chronicles 2 comes with. They also got their share of, "You morons only want them because they're new" accusations. If a character's popularity comes from validated interactions with their source games, they've earned their right to playability status if their respective fandoms demand it.

Pardon me for quoting an old comment I made several months back regarding Three Houses, but I feel it's relevant to address in regards to the speculation cycle and the concept of "who deserves to be in Smash":

"As long as we get to familiarize with the characters in their home games, of course. That's my only gripe with the prospect of a gen 8 rep and a Three Houses rep. Aside from marketing, they need to grow on us first. Otherwise, it's like an arranged marriage, and that is no bueno."

Fast forward to now and the reception to Three Houses is positive enough that a new rep from the game has warranted placement for the fandom. When it comes to speculation, you need to open up your options and accept that there will be choices you may not like.

Though it's probably worth mentioning that the possibility of a Gen 8 rep won't sit all that well with the Smash fanbase unless Game Freak can Win Back the Crowd, lol.

D

Deleted member

lol I can name three other KOS-MOS supporters who frequent this thread, myself included. I'm trying to put it into words you understand. If they added Rex, Pyra, Mythra, Addam, Lora, and Fiora would you consider that a win for Xenosaga fans and tell other KOS-MOS fans that we should be grateful and stop asking for her?
Xenosaga isn't Xenoblade, where are you getting with this? Also those are terrible characters lol they're like the worst designed characters I've seen in a while

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Fire Piranha Plant is coming. He will be an echo fighter based on Marth.

Waddle Dee is also on the way. He is almost a 1:1 copy of Kirby, being an echo fighter also. However, his Down-Special is affected by the weight of Sakurai's Kirby bias, and therefor falls at 8 times the rate.

In the final Smash Direct, Sakurai will explain that Geno has always been in the game. He will spend 45 minutes encouraging fans to play as Mii Gunner and pretend they're playing as Geno dressed in a Mii Costume.

The DLC cycle will then conclude.

Remember this post. You will quote me.
I thought you were talking about VR plant for a second there. How about a picture I found on the internet?

vr_plant_by_south_chan_dd91hnx-pre.png

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Xenosaga isn't Xenoblade, where are you getting with this? Also those are terrible characters lol they're like the worst designed characters I've seen in a while
Xenoblade is considered part of the greater Xeno franchise.

You're so close to understanding my points, man! Just because you like one Xeno- series doesn't mean just any Xeno- rep will do! Do you get it yet? You can do it! I believe in you!

Last edited:

Ninjaed

Smash Journeyman
Here's an interesting question: If Super Smash Bros. Ultimate was the first game in the franchise, but all of the character choices were the same except for the Fire Emblem characters, which 5 normal characters and 2 echo fighters would be the best to add in order to represent the franchise to it's fullest? Here's my thinking:
  1. Marth
    • Lucina
  2. Caeda
  3. Ike
  4. Robin
  5. Lyn
    • Navarre (or some other myrmidon)
- Marth / echo: Lyn
- Ike
- Robin
- Corrin
- Hector

That's it. I wouldn't add another echo. Lyn would be more similar to Roy, without the reversed tipper. Tiki and Black Knight would remain trophies, Lyn's trophy would be replaced by Caeda on her pegasus as an assist trophy.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Aw yeah, it's page 666. Time to remind you all to show in support for our iconic white haired akimbo cowboy demon.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I'm not sure how you're missing the point this badly.

The point is that if someone wants a Three Houses character because they love that game, why should they be content with the seven we have if they don't like those characters as much? Especially for a franchise like Fire Emblem where different games garner different reactions from different Fire Emblem fans. Corrin is a character I really dislike, so why should I "count my blessings" that Corrin got in and be discouraged from supporting an addition that I would enjoy? It makes no sense.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
I am personally thinking of doing an avatar bet regarding getting a Three Houses rep in Smash Ultimate, if that's okay with the mods.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Aw yeah, it's page 666. Time to remind you all to show in support for our iconic white haired akimbo cowboy demon.
So we can have that Bayonetta vs Dante death battle reimagined? That was a pretty good fight to be honest so I hope Dante gets in.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Ah yes.
Our favourite foul mouthed antihero
Nero
Wanting Deadweight for Smash?

Foolishness.

I am personally thinking of doing an avatar bet regarding getting a Three Houses rep in Smash Ultimate, if that's okay with the mods.
I'm pretty sure you can talk about anything here so long as it tangentially relates to the concept of "involves a character getting into smash."

ze9

Smash Ace
Trolling
My bad taste, other than making me like both good games and 3d girls (thus excluding me from the FE fandom), leads me to believe that not having 235235 characters who all look the same and shout the same catchphrases works in the best interest of the "greater good of Smash".

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Honestly the fact that page 666 is mostly Fire Emblem discourse is way too fitting
And yet, I still find this debate more entertaining than another 20 pages about how some third-party characters that had 80% of their appearances on non-Nintendo consoles are going to make it into Smash for realsies, I swear, their games are getting Switch ports and everything.

My bad taste, other than making me like [...] 3d girls (thus excluding me from the FE fandom)
Ouh, sick burn there, lad. That's really gonna show them filthy FE fans.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Nico for Smash! Her final smash is running you over with her ****ty van.

My bad taste, other than making me like both good games and 3d girls (thus excluding me from the FE fandom), leads me to believe that not having 235235 characters who all look the same and shout the same catchphrases works in the best interest of the "greater good of Smash".
Damn bro you bragging about your sexual prowess on a board dedicated to talking about who is gonna get in Nintendo's wacky children's party game is definitely cool and makes you look like a real badass

Last edited:

ze9

Smash Ace
It's no page 666 if there's no reference to DOOM
Doom Slayer is coming to kick all the FE asses, and in his ravenous hatred he'll know no peace. Soon.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I never understood the aversion to Fire Emblem honestly, realistically its a franchise with a semi-clone and 2 actual clones. Stage selection for them is quite pitiful and they only have one item in the game. Of the non-clone additions, Marth is the posterboy, Ike was added due to being pretty much the only character with his archetype, Robin due to Awakening success and Corrin due to Sakurai wanting a recent character (only other option I could think is Elma, but she probably came a few months too late to be considered) and the team encouraging him.

Timing is what makes characters happen or not happen most of the time, and in the case of Xenoblade its something that has hurt their chances the most.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Let's get him in if only so we can meme this into Smash:

tumblr_inline_mtujtxu1jJ1rw38tc.jpg

For real though I would love to see Dante. I've been meaning to get into DMC and that'd give me the perfect excuse to play the games.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Fire Emblem is already overrepresented as it is. We don't need another character.

Mario and Pokemon is understandable being two of Nintendo's most popular and among recognizable franchises but Fire Emblem doesn't fit this bill. Its popular sure but nowhere close to those two especially Pokemon.

How about giving other franchises more represenation like Donkey Kong (Dixie Kong) or Kirby (Bandana Waddle Dee) for example?

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Here's an interesting question: If Super Smash Bros. Ultimate was the first game in the franchise, but all of the character choices were the same except for the Fire Emblem characters, which 5 normal characters and 2 echo fighters would be the best to add in order to represent the franchise to it's fullest? Here's my thinking:
  1. Marth
    • Lucina
  2. Caeda
  3. Ike
  4. Robin
  5. Lyn
    • Navarre (or some other myrmidon)
  • Ike (moveset more faithful to games)
  • Hector
    • Edelgard
  • Ephraim
  • Lucina
    • Roy
  • Lyn
Question variations:
Pick your favorite 5 & 2 echoes (wishlist).
The characters would have to have been available choices for their debut games:
  • Melee gets one unique character and a clone.
  • Brawl gets one unique character.
  • for Nintendo 3Ds/Wii U gets one unique character, and echo fighter and declones the clone.
  • Ultimate gets an echo fighter.
If Byleth is the only way to get a character with a moveset focused on a whipsword, including attacks that a real whip can't perform (e.g., long-distance stabbing), then I choose Byleth, and I don't care about the rest nearly as much.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I never understood the aversion to Fire Emblem honestly, realistically its a franchise with a semi-clone and 2 actual clones. Stage selection for them is quite pitiful and they only have one item in the game. Of the non-clone additions, Marth is the posterboy, Ike was added due to being pretty much the only character with his archetype, Robin due to Awakening success and Corrin due to Sakurai wanting a recent character (only other option I could think is Elma, but she probably came a few months too late to be considered) and the team encouraging him.

Timing is what makes characters happen or not happen most of the time, and in the case of Xenoblade its something that has hurt their chances the most.
Hardcore Smash fans hate RPGs that aren't related to Mario and they hate FE so much because it got lucky and had a few last minute characters that they are filled with seething rage. Kinda like at how some people are filled with rage at the mere sight of the pride and trans flags in Celeste

SKX31

Smash Master
"You called?"

#DiabloForSmash

Not gonna lie though, would also love to see Dante in Smash.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
(only other option I could think is Elma, but she probably came a few months too late to be considered)
Ackshually, the release dates of Xenoblade Chronicles X and Fire Emblem Fates were pretty close to each other, both in Japan and in the West. I think in both instances, X even came out before Fates. Personally, I think she was considered, but Corrin was eventually chosen for several reasons: They wouldn't need a stage to properly represent them (X just has too little in common with 1 for Bionis' Leg to really fit Elma), Fire Emblem was already more successful simply for being on the 3DS, and X being a Wii U game, which. . . yeah. So kinda the same reason why we didn't get Inkling back then, either.

Hardcore Smash fans hate RPGs that aren't related to Mario and they hate FE so much because it got lucky and had a few last minute characters that they are filled with seething rage. Kinda like at how some people are filled with rage at the mere sight of the pride and trans flags in Celeste
You forgot Pokémon. Pokémon also gets a pass.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
First of all, there are good fire emblem games. Second, this is not a threat you need to defend against as this game isn't going to become Super Fire Emblem Bros (featuring some other characters I guess) anytime soon (or really ever). Third, look at these characters and tell me they look the same.
1570297442745.png
1570297475270.png
1570297556196.png
1570297593566.png
1570297781827.png
Yeah Gerome and Caeda are standing very similarly sure but the point is that there are other looks in the series than what we have so far.

D

Deleted member

PULL MY DEVIL TRIGGER
Fire Emblem is already overrepresented as it is. We don't need another character.

Mario and Pokemon is understandable being two of Nintendo's most popular and among recognizable franchises but Fire Emblem doesn't fit this bill. Its popular sure but nowhere close to those two especially Pokemon.

How about giving other franchises more represenation like Donkey Kong (Dixie Kong) or Kirby (Bandana Waddle Dee) for example?
This feels more like a this kid has more toys than the other kid argument. Plus comparisons between franchises are always difficult due to the franchises not managing characters in the same way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom