• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

It seems to be more effective to get people to believe that a character has a good chance to happen in order to increase a characters interest over just telling them why they should be in, it would have a bit more of a longer lasting impact for the character. (Whenever it works at least)

At least, that's what I've observed when looking around the community. It's why characters like Chorus Kids and Mach Rider still remained somewhat popular beyond their initial rumours/leaks.
Good chances are still chances. It probably won't happen not unt the stars align, but that's about it. I personally just find this system so dumb and idiotic. You're giving support for a character in exchange for fake news. While this does not quite bother me personally, I'm starting to doubt how much more will it take just to make them shut up.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Good chances are still chances. It probably won't happen not unt the stars align, but that's about it. I personally just find this system so dumb and idiotic. You're giving support for a character in exchange for fake news. While this does not quite bother me personally, I'm starting to doubt how much more will it take just to make them shut up.
Yeah I agree, it skews things a bit and makes it harder to tell whether people actually genuinely want a certain character, or just expect them or just think their likely.
It might also make some fans feel that their character has no chance of making it in unless their a popular subject in some line of rumours and whatnot.
On the other hand, it might also bloat up expectations for other fans only to backfire heavily if the popularly rumoured character doesn't end up making it in after all.
Its a pretty dirty system to say the least, but that's more or less why you should always take rumours with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yeah I agree, it skews things a bit and makes it harder to tell whether people actually genuinely want a certain character, or just expect them or just think their likely.
It might also make some fans feel that their character has no chance of making it in unless their a popular subject in some line of rumours and whatnot. On the flipside, it might also bloat up expectations for other fans only to backfire heavily if the popularly rumoured character doesn't end up making it in after all.
Its a pretty dirty system to say the least.
I agree that this system degrades. Hands down.

I heavily believe in the idea of Birthday Luck. My birthday is on October 26th, around the same as the release window for a supposed Direct. If my most wanted character gets in or gets leaked I'm gonna lose it.

Dark Bagel

Smash Ace
That said, I do think Byleth would be the most interesting moveset-wise..I'm also extremely biased..and doubt my other fav, Bernadetta, would make it in lol
Maybe they'll all get into a Fire Emblem Warriors 2
I've heard Byleth getting talked about a fair amount, and I get the impression that they have decent moveset potential. One notable trait I can glean from them is their use of a whip-sword at some point in the game. As someone who isn't too familiar with Three Houses, can you tell me what other properties and mechanics they could bring to Smash? I'm genuinely curious.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I've heard Byleth getting talked about a fair amount, and I get the impression that they have decent moveset potential. One notable trait I can glean from them is their use of a whip-sword at some point in the game. As someone who isn't too familiar with Three Houses, can you tell me what other properties and mechanics they could bring to Smash? I'm genuinely curious.
The whipsword is enough but Byleth has Divine Pulse, which lets you turn back time a bit to undo actions, Battalions which let you do stuff with an army and pretty much anything that isn't exclusive to specific characters. Byleth even has the Crest of Flames which basically works like the Sol skill iirc, which can heal you a bit based on how hard you hit the enemy when it goes up

Calamitas

Smash Champion
The whipsword is enough but Byleth has Divine Pulse, which lets you turn back time a bit to undo actions, Battalions which let you do stuff with an army and pretty much anything that isn't exclusive to specific characters. Byleth even has the Crest of Flames which basically works like the Sol skill iirc, which can heal you a bit based on how hard you hit the enemy when it goes up
In addition to that, their personal class also lets them use various fire spells, the same life drain spell that Robin has, an offensive light spell, and it has a proficiency in gauntlets.
That is to say, punching people. Depending on the class/skills, an actual weapon is not even necessary.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
In addition to that, their personal class also lets them use various fire spells, the same life drain spell that Robin has, an offensive light spell, and it has a proficiency in gauntlets.
That is to say, punching people. Depending on the class/skills, an actual weapon is not even necessary.
True but Byleth's most marketed weapon is their sword and knowing the FE cast, signature weapons are prioritized. Robin has a generic bronze sword and Levin sword but Robin doesn't have any unique weapons, which probably helped convince Sakurai to add them over Chrom and his Falchion

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The whip sword is Byleth's personal weapon and available for about 75% of the game. It's pretty much their trademark weapon for the whole game. Outside of that, Byleth also has acces to brawling skills with gauntlets and healing / light magic. It's also reasonable for them to use regular magic. So that means they could be a very versatile character, ideal for a sort of mix up move set between up close brawling, disjointed sword attacks, disjointed sword zoning and projectile zoning.

D

Deleted member

The whip sword is Byleth's personal weapon and available for about 75% of the game. It's pretty much their trademark weapon for the whole game. Outside of that, Byleth also has acces to brawling skills with gauntlets and healing / light magic. It's also reasonable for them to use regular magic. So that means they could be a very versatile character, ideal for a sort of mix up move set between up close brawling, disjointed sword attacks, disjointed sword zoning and projectile zoning.
Imo good luck with frame data.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Imo good luck with frame data.
Brawling attack could have good frame data, and could be disjointed somewhat. Obviously the zoning based stuff wouldn't have the best frame data, but regular sword attacks and brawling attacks have no reason of being slow if the rest is already slow.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Adding onto the things everyone else has said, another interesting thing 3H introduced is the concept of gambits and battalions - commanding extra units and armies and the special attacks that come with.

I linked it before but I really like pizzadudemanguy's moveset concept. Whether you enjoy the durability gimmick or not, I think it really shows what the character can do when using the source game as inspiration and how varied the character can really be. Also the alts are sick as hell.

(Also, I know it's unlikely, but it'd be cool if they made the female alt the default because I love her.)

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
And need I remind you that Fighter's Pass characters all come with a new stage, new music, and new Spirits? At this point, what else is there really left to add for Earthbound? And not to be overly anti-Earthbound here, but I think the series has already enough content, if not more than enough. The most I could see would be Ninten making it in as an Echo Fighter, but even that's a stretch.
While I agree with most of your points, let’s bring up the hypothetical situation that Porky is Fighter 5 for the Pass. At this point I’d think if he’s coming, it’s not in the Pass (and thus he doesn’t need to have a stage, music, and Spirits), but let’s just go with it for example’s sake.

Stage Ideas:
Giygas’ Lair
Tazmily Village (since Lucas isn’t directly tied to New Pork City, this would essentially provide him a new “home stage” while Porky takes NPC as his)
Empire Porky Building (basically just fighting on/inside the building in the background of the NPC stage, could work like Tomodachi Life, New Donk City, or something completely new)

Music:
Porky Means Business
Twoson (because I said so)
Good Friends, Bad Friends
Any of the various battle tracks throughout the series, since we currently only have 1 (so let’s say 3-5 new ones)
DCMC Theme
Mind of a Thief
Monkey Delivery Service
16 Melodies

Spirits:
Porky (Fighter Spirit)
Giygas
Fassad
Pigmask Army
Porky Statue
Mecha Drago
Magypsies (or at least the main one, Ionia, since the full cast of them may cause controversy)
DCMC
Porky-Bot (horde battle)
Mani Mani Statue
Dr. Andonuts
Wess
Rope Snake (Lucas favoring grab)

Some of those Spirits that don’t really relate directly to Porky could also be swapped in favor of series bosses instead.

Now, does the series REALLY need this much representation? Probably not. All I’m trying to say is that IF Porky was Fighter #5, there’s still enough he could bring with him in terms of fulfilling the 3 requirements each fighter on the pass comes with.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Not going to lie, I really love how wide open speculation has become post-Terry Bogard reveal, I was incredibly surprised and pleased when he showed up (he's like my favorite FG character after all, but I had no thoughts that he was plausible).

I hope it continues that way, even if they eventually get leaked like has been happening near announcements.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Sakurai’s next troll:

After the last Ultimate DLC character he’s going to be like “well, 3 houses still has dlc coming out so the next fire emblem isn’t that soon. I’m going to make Fire Emblem: Smash. A smash brothers game with 75 fire emblem characters, and a story mode that plays like a fire emblem game except the fights work like smash battles so SRPG replaces “Strategy” with “Smash”.”

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So do we know what the Papagenos thing is all about now or...?

ze9

Smash Ace
View attachment 240873
Did someone say statistics?

Late to the party like always, but I do know about statistics. At least enough to have a reasonable belief that statistics, at least as you're using them, do not contribute to your argument.

You say that Fire Emblem "has more stuff (I'm assuming you mean characters, stages, items, music, Spirits, etc.) than other series," but the problem with this argument is that it assumes that every series in Smash Bros. is as important as the other. Furthermore, from a cursory glance of the roster, the average content a series gets is going to be pretty low given that a lot of series (especially third parties, which there are many) have only one character, one stage, and no items. In that regard, a lot of series are going to be "outliers," not just Fire Emblem.

I have and will argue that Fire Emblem has taken its spot among them as one of Nintendo's flagship series. The series brought itself from the brink of death, sells consistently well, Heroes has been Nintendo's highest grossing mobile game since it released 2 years ago, Three Houses sold like gangbusters and proved that Fire Emblem is popular, what with all the discussion going on around it. To put it into perspective, only two Nintendo series have gotten Warriors games. Those are the Legend of Zelda and Fire Emblem. The series Nintendo has on mobile right now are Mario (Kart, Dr., Run), Pokémon (Go, Masters), Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, and Dragalia Lost.

Fire Emblem is certainly large enough to warrant the amount of characters it has. Besides, 1 is a semi-clone, and 2 are literally clones. You can't really complain about additional characters that took little to no effort to make. You're free to not want Fire Emblem characters, but other people are free to want Fire Emblem characters and you ought to respect them and their opinions.
Yeah yeah, whatever you say. Fire Emblem is the best and most successful Nintendo series ever, it deserves 10000000 characters in Smash and everything else should bow before it.
Sorry if I interrupted your circlejerk, please continue on.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Yeah yeah, whatever you say. Fire Emblem is the best and most successful Nintendo series ever, it deserves 10000000 characters in Smash and everything else should bow before it.
Sorry if I interrupted your circlejerk, please continue on.
That’s not what he said but I’d be cranky too if I forgot what an opinion was, got called out for it and doubled down.
im still on the board that porky is #5 to the day

this may be insomnia talking but trying to counter the porky spirit theory with "he'll be back as a boss" is kind of stupid considering literally every other boss in the smash bros series except him has a spirit in one way or another :nifty: so that's my hot take
tbh I don’t think Porky is coming back in any form.

It’d be weird if the fighters pass consisted of 4 characters from new 3rd party series... and Porky of all characters.

ze9

Smash Ace
That’s not what he said but I’d be cranky too if I forgot what an opinion was, got called out for it and doubled down.
I mean, I can refute all his points (first off by precising that FE sells about as much as your average Nintendo series, there's data; then by pointing out at how it had way more characters than almost every other series even in Smash 4 before its resurgeance so that shouldn't count as an argument; or even how mobile sales are not a good gauge of anything since, you know, whales), but talking with Fire Emblem fanboys is useless.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Hypothetical question. If Sakurai had made the decision to make a moveset for Sandbag instead of Piranha Plant and released it as a free bonus character, how much better would that have gone over with the community?
The reception would have been much better. For one, Sandbag, as far as we know, is an individual and not a generic mook. Plus, there aren't dozens of characters from the Smash series that people wanted to be playable like with Mario. And hell, playable Sandbag wouldn't have been as left field considering he had quite the support and was playable in SSF2.

Still, being the last reveal means that a choice as wild as Sandbag would have still been pretty controversial anyway (it's almost like the last reveal should be a banger...)

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
What happened now?

Also people want Byleth just because they're new, as soon a new FE lord comes out they'll want that instead.
Or people just genuinely like Three Houses because it’s a great game and want representation in Smash. Or like Byleth, or like the concept of their moveset...

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Edelgard would be great in Smash.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Or people just genuinely like Three Houses because it’s a great game and want representation in Smash. Or like Byleth, or like he concept of his moveset...
Oh, but don't you know? Fire Emblem is clearly a creation of the devil, and should never be acknowledged as a good series, ever. And people only ever like it because it's something new. Clearly, we should all clamour for our lords and saviours, the entire DK Crew, instead.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
How many times do I have to hammer home that in a series as diverse as Fire Emblem not every game is going to have the same fanbase? The Pokemon comparison is pretty apt. I can't stand the D/P/P generation. Or even going more recent, I have no strong feelings about Xenoblade 1, can't stand Xenoblade 2, but thoroughly enjoyed Xenoblade X and appreciated Torna. Getting Rex and Pyra isn't a "win" for me as an Elma fan just because "they're also Xenoblade".

D

Deleted member

Oh, but don't you know? Fire Emblem is clearly a creation of the devil, and should never be acknowledged as a good series, ever. And people only ever like it because it's something new. Clearly, we should all clamour for our lords and saviours, the entire DK Crew, instead.
HE HAS NO STYLE, HE HAS NO GRACE

Lanky.png

FIRE EMBLEM WAS A MISTAKE

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I don’t care about new FE stuff, but it’s pretty selfish to act like FE fans are in the wrong or less deserving of characters they really like when it’s a frickin videogame and they can want and hope for whomever they please.

Admittedly I sometimes had thoughts like “please no, I want this other character...” (not just with a new FE character) when hoping for Banjo or Steve (pretty much not really caring if the other characters were in but just having disappointment in the end if none of my favorites got in, like everyone else, just with some dumb thoughts I didn’t have for long), but I didn’t let it get to me and I didn’t gatekeep them, + it could be said about any character and it’s still frickin selfish to act more entitled than other fans over a videogame (and people acting entitled generally look selfish anyway). A new FE character ain’t gonna rob your character’s slot, if your character isn’t in they likely weren’t planned to begin with especially since this is DLC we’re talking about; plus, you could pass the blame to any of the other new characters instead of putting it all on one character and their fans, so it’s just unfair.

This also goes for other series.

Last edited:

ze9

Smash Ace
How many times do I have to hammer home that in a series as diverse as Fire Emblem not every game is going to have the same fanbase? The Pokemon comparison is pretty apt. I can't stand the D/P/P generation. Or even going more recent, I have no strong feelings about Xenoblade 1, can't stand Xenoblade 2, but thoroughly enjoyed Xenoblade X and appreciated Torna. Getting Rex and Pyra isn't a "win" for me as an Elma fan just because "they're also Xenoblade".
I mean, that goes for every series. Just look at the Zelda debates with Midna VS Skull Kid VS Tingle VS Vaati VS the Champions VS Classic Ganon VS Zelda 1's Old Man etc. etc.
It would be nice to tap into some of that.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
I really don't get why it's so hard for yall to grasp the concept that people actually like Fire Emblem and that there's more you can do with a character besides "Marth 5." Literally none of the house leaders use swords and Byleth's sword is so functionally different from any of the other sword characters that you'd have to try pretty damn hard to make them redundant. The closest thing you could probably compare Byleth to is the Belmonts, but even then the Sword of the Creator functions differently from an actual whip. And that isn't even going into Divine Pulse, Gambits, and their weapon diversity. There's a ton of stuff to pull from to make Byleth unique, but god forbid anyone wants another Fire Emblem character because something something sword man bad platformer mascot and gun man good.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
The Pokemon comparison is pretty apt. I can't stand the D/P/P generation.
Hold on, before we proceed, you need to answer one question so that we may see if you still have any rights.
What about Cynthia?

Or even going more recent, I have no strong feelings about Xenoblade 1, can't stand Xenoblade 2, but thoroughly enjoyed Xenoblade X and appreciated Torna. Getting Rex and Pyra isn't a "win" for me as an Elma fan just because "they're also Xenoblade".
As someone for who Xenoblade is my favourite series in Smash, I'd honestly consider Rex & Pyra to be an outright loss, even. They embody just about everything that I hated about Xenoblade 2, and basically all the elements that I do not want to see in the series moving forward. I'd only really accept Elma.

HE HAS NO STYLE, HE HAS NO GRACE

View attachment 240904

FIRE EMBLEM WAS A MISTAKE
C'mon, at least keep the rhyme intact. You can't just disrespect such a heavenly choir like that. If anything, it'd need to be "He has no style / He has no grace / Fire Emblem / is a f***ing disgrace!", or something like that.

There's a ton of stuff to pull from to make Byleth unique, but god forbid anyone wants another Fire Emblem character because something something sword man bad platformer mascot and gun man good.
I'll have you know that Mr Shooty MacGunface has a very deep and important history, which automatically means that he should be in Smash! Even if that history only barely has anything to do with Nintendo!

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
I was never one to complain about having more FE reps (still waiting on Anna), but if/when we get a 3 Houses rep, I'm hoping God-shattering Star gets added to the playlist.

As for Xenoblade, I'm on that Elma train, but I'll take anything at this point.

Last edited:

ze9

Smash Ace
I really don't get why it's so hard for yall to grasp the concept that people actually like Fire Emblem and that there's more you can do with a character besides "Marth 5." Literally none of the house leaders use swords and Byleth's sword is so functionally different from any of the other sword characters that you'd have to try pretty damn hard to make them redundant. The closest thing you could probably compare Byleth to is the Belmonts, but even then the Sword of the Creator functions differently from an actual whip. And that isn't even going into Divine Pulse, Gambits, and their weapon diversity. There's a ton of stuff to pull from to make Byleth unique, but god forbid anyone wants another Fire Emblem character because something something sword man bad platformer mascot and gun man good.
Somebody who's not really into Fire Emblem preferring almost any other kind of character is not really that hard to grasp either.
This is a crossover series that thrives on variety, blue haired swordsman #8 this time with a whip, with the exact same kind of aesthetics as the other 7 is not really an exciting prospect to anyone but the most hardcore FE fans.
You jab at Doom, or Halo?, whatever, but at least they would bring something unique.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Somebody who's not really into Fire Emblem preferring almost any other kind of character is not really that hard to grasp either.
This is a crossover series that thrives on variety, blue haired swordsman #8 this time with a whip, with the exact same kind of aesthetics as the other 7 is not really an exciting prospect to anyone but the most hardcore FE fans.
Have you been paying any attention to how well Three Houses has been selling? The game has been extremely successful.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I guess I’m in the minority that while I’d squeal if Elma got in, I would be totally ok with Rex.

BUT!

I do believe his chances are 99% sunk if not 100%, as he was a DLC Mii costume. Base Mii Costumes and Spirits are safe imo, but the fact he was a downloadable costume, and Sakurai’s apologies for not being able to make him playable, suggests he’ll, as Chrom would say, “get (his) chance another day” as in the next game.

anyway, stan Mecha-Fiora

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
You jab at Doom, or Halo?, whatever, but at least they would bring something unique.
Byleth would be blue haired sword lord number five, not eight.

That and it ignores the other, less visually redundant option with Edelgard, who is just as important to the game as a whole and has a completely unique personality, aesthetic, and fighting style from what we currently have.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Sakurai’s next troll:

After the last Ultimate DLC character he’s going to be like “well, 3 houses still has dlc coming out so the next fire emblem isn’t that soon. I’m going to make Fire Emblem: Smash. A smash brothers game with 75 fire emblem characters, and a story mode that plays like a fire emblem game except the fights work like smash battles so SRPG replaces “Strategy” with “Smash”.”
I mean...I'd actually be quite up for this providing 60/75 of those characters weren't Marth's moveset but slightly tweaked.

Transforming Beast characters, and true blue manaketes alongside wyvern riders and mounted units...the variety that would be up for grabs if Sakurai didn't have to add the most default character each time for FE would be pretty fun, but obviously most of the protagonists are some variety of sword user since it's the most stock weapon and thus a fan favourite.

God damn do I want a Fire Emblem Warriors 2 already.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
It's funny you would bring up Doom or Halo, because Japan treats those franchises in the same manner you're treating Fire Emblem right now. Someone brings up Doom Marine or Master Chief and they're met with groans of "another western fighter with a gun". They're literally referred to as "Green Samus".

Point is, it's dumb to hold visual or slight thematic similarities as a reason to dislike a character. We're 80 characters deep, it's inevitable that we will see some visual similarities between basically every DLC candidate and another on the roster. I like both Doom Marine and Byleth, and I'd be really disappointed if they got the boot because "They look like Samus/Marth!" when they would play nothing like those respective characters.

Last edited:

ze9

Smash Ace
Have you been paying any attention to how well Three Houses has been selling? The game has been extremely successful.
From what I know it's in the same ballpark as Kirby Star Allies and Tropical Freeze. Nothing to scoff at, but nothing more than your typical Nintendo major release either.

It's funny you would bring up Doom or Halo, because Japan treats those franchises in the same manner you're treating Fire Emblem right now. Someone brings up Doom Marine or Master Chief and they're met with groans of "another western fighter with a gun". They're literally referred to as "Green Samus".

Point is, it's dumb to hold visual or slight thematic similarities as a reason to dislike a character. We're 80 characters deep, it's inevitable that we will see some visual similarities between basically every DLC candidate and another on the roster. I like both Doom Marine and Byleth, and I'd be really disappointed if they got the boot because "They look like Samus/Marth!" when they would play nothing like those respective characters.
"Another" western fighter with a gun? There's no western fighter with a gun in the roster.
Also the comparison doesn't really work.
-We only have 1 "Samus" (or 2 if you count Dark Samus) while the "Marths" are at 7.
-Doom and Halo are new series, which means a new stage, a new aesthetic, a new kind of music etc. etc.
Some visual similarities are going to be inevitable, but putting in yet another FE charater is actively doubling down on the visual similarities.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Hold on, before we proceed, you need to answer one question so that we may see if you still have any rights.
What about Cynthia?
Cynthia has never done anything wrong in her entire life outside of appear in a gen I didn't have any fun with and she and Guzma are two characters I would love in Smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom