• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I like Steve’s look, they could use the cleaner version of him from official artwork/merchandise but I’d like his ingame look just the same. I also want them to keep his stiff limbs; they can work if the emotes and fans’ Steve for Smash animations can work.

Forgot a few more official things that actually give Steve and Alex expressions as well:

-Some official action figures; includes Alex with a happy face and Steve gaining angry eyebrows with his eyes being a bit slanted. There is one where Steve has a sorta ugly mouth, though :S

-The Minecraft emoticons in the LIVE chat during the Minecon stream included a Creeper face...as well as Steve with heart eyes and Alex with her mouth open, showing two rows of teeth (a little weird for her but it wasn’t bad imo, the action figure seemed okay too but maybe a bit weirder).

-once again, while they haven’t appeared in the
trailers, Dungeons could still count...

They’re still official things, and Sakurai has said before he gets word on upcoming stuff.

I mean, y’all’s argument doesn’t really work either, since they officially do have at least a bit of personality and other characters don’t show personality in the way y’all are demanding Steve does. It’s just another fan rule, not to mention selfish gatekeeping pushing opinions as fact for the sake of somehow keeping others’ beloved character out of a dang videogame. They can give Steve expressions by making his eyes wide and stuff like in animations, why would Sakurai limit himself to a static PNG when Mojang doesn’t? Steve can even blink now with it clearly being planned for a while since it’s already in the Bedrock betas. He can express himself through body language anyway, and Sakurai and his team have made new animations for characters’ before. It’s not like Steve only being able to move in certain ways in certain situations is canon :/ What Steve has already shows he can move his limbs in any way he wants like everyone else.
If he's going to come looking exactly like he does in Minecraft itself then I don't want him. Comparatively to how kuch love and care was put into updating Mega Man, Banjo, Hero 3 & 4, Terry, Ken, Cloud, and then we get a character that looks like a 64 model character with a flat texture face and low poly 8-bit like textures throughout his design? The character would just look ugly next to his counterparts.

Let him keep his blocky look or not I don't care but if he comes in with textures that look like they were just slapped onto a cardboard box haphazardly with no real characterization I will be bummed the **** OUT.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
If he's going to come looking exactly like he does in Minecraft itself then I don't want him. Comparatively to how kuch love and care was put into updating Mega Man, Banjo, Hero 3 & 4, Terry, Ken, Cloud, and then we get a character that looks like a 64 model character with a flat texture face and low poly 8-bit like textures throughout his design? The character would just look ugly next to his counterparts.

Let him keep his blocky look or not I don't care but if he comes in with textures that look like they were just slapped onto a cardboard box haphazardly with no real characterization I will be bummed the **** OUT.
So would the box art/website/certain trailers look be alright? Rounded edges, including in the texture itself, should never happen imo; needs at least the same basic eyes, same beard, same hair. His clothing could have “realistic” detail I guess (like the EarthBound boys or Mario) but still keep the edges of the model as clean cut rectangles with his head keeping the squares for his facial features. They could still keep his noisy texture and give him expressions, anyway.

A redesign ain’t gonna fly.

Last edited:

Nquoid

Smash Ace
Wait why does Banjo fit with what he said? He wanted people who never played Smash before to get interested in Smash and the Venn diagram of Banjo fans and Smash fans is a tiny circle in a larger one
We get it, you don't like Banjo, but if anything Banjo is there to appeal to lapsed Nintendo fans who might not have Smash yet. The Smash community doesn't exactly correlate to the Banjo community, Yooka Laylee managed to earn £2 million on Kickstarter showing that there is still a want for this kind of game from the people who made them back in the 90s.

Hell, Banjo is the only character I can say that all of the people I know outside of Smash speculation actually bought. which whilst circumstantial, is probably still emblematic of people my age's tastes.

Don't let your disdain for the character cloud that if it wasn't a very savvy business decision, Nintendo wouldn't have gone through the trouble of trying to get him.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
We get it, you don't like Banjo, but if anything Banjo is there to appeal to lapsed Nintendo fans who might not have Smash yet. The Smash community doesn't exactly correlate to the Banjo community, Yooka Laylee managed to earn £2 million on Kickstarter showing that there is still a want for this kind of game from the people who made them back in the 90s.

Hell, Banjo is the only character I can say that all of the people I know outside of Smash speculation actually bought. which whilst circumstantial, is probably still emblematic of people my age's tastes.

Don't let your disdain for the character cloud that if it wasn't a very savvy business decision, Nintendo wouldn't have gone through the trouble of trying to get him.
No but the people who look back fondly of banjo are Nintendo fans. That's a fact, and Smash is something enough Nintendo fans are fans of to make 2 Smash games the best selling fighting games of all time.

NickoRaptor

Smash Cadet
I don't suppose you guys could see a Resident Evil character joining in the future? It's the biggest horror franchise in gaming as far as I know, so a rep would make sense. I've always imagined a Hero type of deal, with the alts being different main characters like Chris, Jill, Leon, and maybe Claire.

Only issue I can see is the music... Not the best fit for Smash honestly.

Nquoid

Smash Ace
No but the people who look back fondly of banjo are Nintendo fans. That's a fact, and Smash is something enough Nintendo fans are fans of to make 2 Smash games the best selling fighting games of all time.
Sure, but you're a Nintendo fan who doesn't look back fondly on Banjo Kazooie. Most of the anti-Banjo sentiments I've seen have come from people who were too young to experience Banjo during it's heyday. A lot can change in 20 years, including people growing up and maybe not having time for video games anymore. But nostalgia is a hell of a drug, and this is the kind of big get character that would appeal to lapsed players. Far more so than any other pick in the lineup.

ze9

Smash Ace
Banjo is the only DLC character I've talked about in real life, even with people who I thought were not really into Nintendo. It's kinda been a big deal. I guess Nintendo knew, since they appointed B&K as E3's big reveal only topped by ****ing Breath of the Wild 2.

The whole thing about using DLC to "expand the demographics" is still perplexing to me, though. Did Snake move that many copies, back then? Or even Ryu and Cloud in Smash 4... I'm not too sure.
Like, I don't think I'd buy Tekken just because they put Link or Donkey Kong in it as DLC. Somebody else would, but would those really be enough to center your entire DLC strategy around it? I have some doubts.

Nquoid

Smash Ace
The whole thing about using DLC to "expand the demographics" is still perplexing to me, though. Did Snake move that many copies, back then? Or even Ryu and Cloud in Smash 4... I'm not too sure.
Like, I don't think I'd buy Tekken just because they put Link or Donkey Kong in it as DLC. Somebody else would, but would those really be enough to center your entire DLC strategy around it? I have some doubts.
I think it's more demographics where people don't necessarily play Nintendo games? China is obviously a market Nintendo want to break into, so characters popular there is one step. Regions where arcades never died (hence the Terry inclusion) would be another. PC gaming is another market that I could see Nintendo trying to get a character from, be that Doom or Overwatch or whatever.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Guest characters can absolutely sell copies. There's a reason the GameCube version of Soulcalibur 2 is one of the most popular versions out there. And I know this is anecdotal but I and several others finally bought Soulcalibur 6 once the 2B announcement dropped.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
I don't think it's reasonable to expect a first party character as fighter number 5. Joker set the tone and so far all of them have been third-party reveals. no reason to expect a first party character at this point, and plenty of reason to doubt a first-party inclusion as I've already stated.
But wasn't the Smash 4 DLC just popular veterans and third parties right until Corrin surprisingly showed up right at the end, fittingly ordered in terms of general hype?

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
But wasn't the Smash 4 DLC just popular veterans and third parties right until Corrin surprisingly showed up right at the end, fittingly ordered in terms of general hype?
This is Smash Ultimate here, not Smash 4.
Comparing both dlc seasons is pretty stupid...Especially when put into context.

Slime Scholar

Smash Apprentice
I don't think the goal is as simple as "customer sees character they like --> they immediately go out and buy Smash." These big third party collaborations are a lot more valuable than just those sales (which undoubtedly happen as well).

Using Joker as an example, he really got people talking, even outside of the Smash sphere. That's a huge boon in itself. Maybe most Persona 5 fans didn't rush out and buy a Switch that day, but him appearing at all is Nintendo's way of sending the message "we have content that appeals to you." Maybe some of these P5 fans had always wanted to give Smash a try and Joker was their reason to bite the bullet, and maybe for some others he was enough to get people googling "best Nintendo Switch games." It really can lead to Nintendo pulling more players into its ecosystem.

It's hard to measure how effective any of this is, but it makes a lot of sense to me and I believe it's essential in making Smash an evergreen title.

Last edited:

Abade

Smash Apprentice
Oh, and while we're on the Steve emoting topic, I find it funny that Steve not having facial expressions is seen as a sticking point for some people when one of the most discussed characters here is Doomguy, a character whose face is always covered by a helmet. Unless they want to emulate the early Doom games and have his actual face as the character portrait (which, I'll admit, would be a very cool touch), we aren't gonna be seeing Doomguy's facial expressions in-game and a lot of his personality will have to be shown through body language. I get that comparing a character with a fleshed-out backstory to a blank-slate avatar is kind of a false equivalency, but the point that a character can still have personality despite not having visible facial expressions still stands.
Doomguy is stil capable of emoting more through facial expressions then :ultsamus: :troll:

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
I know Digmon fans don't want to hear this, but Digimon is ineligible for Smash. Tomodachi toys don't count as a video game. Some people try and compare it to G&W, but that's not a good comparison. For one G&W was Nintendo, and two, Game & Watch is considered a portable console. Unlike Tomogachi stuff.
But it's not a movie or a comic book... It's a virtual pet. If anything it's like Nintendo pet games or POU soooo

It's funny that of the two, Tamagotchi is the one that has crossed over into Nintendo games.

Either would be nice in the sense that it would not weigh the pass down so heavily with human/very humanoid characters, since other than Banjo, Crash is the only other plausible exception that comes to mind. No idea how a Tamagotchi (presumably Mametchi?) would work, though.
Spyro?

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Nintendo’s mobile plan when it comes to existing franchises is making supplementary experiences to the mainline games on Nintendo systems. FEH and PoGo don’t need Spirits because they’re just there to help out the FE and Pokemon franchises. The fact that FEH got a remix isn’t measly, it’s quite the accomplishment considering the Tellius games haven’t gotten remixes after Ike being in Smash for 3 games.

Also, writing off PC gaming is just bad speculation. There’s a first for everything, and if Sakurai really wants to make Ultimate represent gaming itself as much as possible then a PC gaming rep would definitely fall under that.
If there’s a character that’s meant to represent PC gaming, I imagine it’d be Doom Slayer. Doom is one of the games that put PC gaming on the map.

I don't suppose you guys could see a Resident Evil character joining in the future? It's the biggest horror franchise in gaming as far as I know, so a rep would make sense. I've always imagined a Hero type of deal, with the alts being different main characters like Chris, Jill, Leon, and maybe Claire.

Resident Evil has some music potential, if it’s worked in Marvel vs Capcom then it can work in Smash.

Off the top of my head there can be:
Nemesis theme
Birkin Theme

Sad But True (RE5 Jill Theme)
Winds of Madness (RE5 Wesker theme)
Mr X 2nd form (RE2make)
Hunk theme (RE2make)

I’m sure there’s some more too that I’m forgetting right now.

TheAJJohnson

Smash Journeyman
As a fellow fan, I would say I'm willing to compromise on the bloof and gore to get him in Smash, and moveset isn't an issue, but Mortal Kombat is very unpopular in Japan. As much as Sakurai claims he's doing a crossover for all games, Smash is clearly Japanese centric, so I think that more than anything might hurt his chances.

But I'd love for it to happen. Ryu vs. Scorpion is something that I need to see during my lifetime.
I've heard this argument and I think it's the most difficult obstacle of his to overcome. Not only is it unpopular in Japan, but the most recent game was banned there. And yes, as much as Sakurai and Co. like to claim its a massive crossover, we've only got 4 characters in a roster of 80+ that were created by western developers.

So here's my counter to this point: what if Scorpion was chosen as the western, or more specifically American, DLC rep? Now hear me out on this. People say that Banjo and Kazooie were the "western pick", but I say that's a bunch of baloney. The duo placed very high on Japanese fan polls conducted throughout the last several years. They've both been wanted across the whole world. Sure, they are owned by a western company, so that's an argument for being western. But as the west's pick like Terry is for South America and Hero is for Japan, I don't buy it. I think Banjo and Kazooie were for everyone.

If that is the case, then one could argue that no representative has been chosen for DLC to satiate American fans. (Keep in mind that I'm referring specially to DLC, so Ridley shouldn't even be part of the conversation.) When it comes to relevant games and characters, especially those in the competitive fighting scene, and when it comes to leaving a legacy and the overall appeal of the character and franchise in general, Scorpion's impact on western gaming is undeniable. I would argue that Scorpion is bigger over here than all the other main reps from other fighting, except for maybe Ryu. (Definitely Terry, Siegfreid, or anybody from Tekken and Virtua Fighter.) He is arguably the fighting game character over here in America. With his iconic look and instantly recognizable catch phrase, he could be Sakurai's way of truly throwing a bone to American audiences.

I'd throw in The Prince of All Cosmos as well (taunt cameo isn't stopping Heihachi speculation), along with an Idolm@ster rep.

Also thank you for mentioning Aiai, he'd make for a great second SEGA rep if the more popular options aren't chosen and he has a lot going for him!

In regards to Scorpion, even taking western catering into account how much would he actually sell in Japan as a DLC fighter. They could tone him down but still, he's essentially advertising a banned game series, which wouldn't make much sense. I know Nintendo takes the whole world into consideration but they do consider the Japanese market as they know it best, so even if it wasn't banned I don't see Scorpion selling too well as a character over there. Same goes for Doom Slayer and Tracer as they never caught on over there (I know there's a Japanese fan project but it's still very niche), though I don't want to beat a dead horse.
Like I mentioned in another comment, I think this point right here is the strongest one against him. The blood and gore thing can be overcome quickly, but this aspect of his existence is definitely a knock against him.

However, even though the game is banned, let's consider two other cases: Fire Emblem and Mother. In the former case, the game series hadn't even made it over to the states when Marth and Roy joined Melee. In fact, it's because of their presence in that game that the series was introduced into the west. And now look at Fire Emblem. 7 characters later...
As for Mother, Lucas is a character that has never even seen American soil. And how long ago was the game released? Yet he's in.

I understand not being localized and being banned are not the same thing, but the point I'm trying to make is that even though a character may not be very present in a country, like Japan or the US or wherever, doesn't mean that they can't be in the game. The conversation on the playground would be the same in any part of the world. "Who is that Scorpion/Lucas guy?" "Oh. He's just some American/Japanese-only game character." Besides, laws and regulations can change. Look at gaming now. Some of the profanity and nudity in games now would never had flown in America 20 or even 15 years ago. What's to say Japan couldn't change their minds?

The fact that Sakurai is catering more to Japan because it's easier and, well, he lives there...that makes it harder. But if you want to make the ultimate crossover for real, and really fulfill Iwata's last request, then your going to have to make some non-Japanese friends.

It's funny that of the two, Tamagotchi is the one that has crossed over into Nintendo games.

Either would be nice in the sense that it would not weigh the pass down so heavily with human/very humanoid characters, since other than Banjo, Crash is the only other plausible exception that comes to mind. No idea how a Tamagotchi (presumably Mametchi?) would work, though.
I've realized this too. I look at the fighter pass and think, "OK...person, person, bear and bird, person..."

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
Was talking it over with some friends and man, if Lloyd get's in this would probably be my top pick for a song inclusion. It's so good!
https://youtu.be/WG3QgQCXyUo
I can't accept Lloyd's inclusion without this song:
Even though I'd be ok with just the Mii costume returning, because how well it works, I can't deny how happy Lloyd as part of the FP would make me.
ToS soundtrack is absolutely amazing, and one of the best among all Tales games, if not the best.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Only barrier in Scorpion's way of getting into Smash is the fact Mortal Kombat is banned in Japan.

He'd be cool but I honestly can't see him due to that though Sakurai has pulled off the possible already so there's a small possibility.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
To be fair, it's probably not a bad idea to also toss a bone to your original target audience in case your new 'expanded audience' decides it's a one and done type of deal for them.

The Wii expanded Nintendo's customer base only for that brand new audience to have grown bored with the concept of gaming by the time the Wii U rolled in, having moved on to tablets and iPhones and things. More traditional Nintendo fans probably wouldn't count many Wii Nintendo series entries as their favourite of the franchise bar maybe Mario Galaxy or Warioware.

Keeping your core fanbase happy and not feeling ignored is probably a good thing to try and do whilst simultaneously bringing in new audience members to promote future success.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

I definitely say out of the Capcom reps. They, Dante and Phoenix Wright are the three most likely at this point.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Why'd you reply to my post from August? my thoughts on this have changed since then.
KatKit and I were doing it as jokes after that one guy did it. Wonder why this is still happening to this degree...

Oh, and on the subject of Steve not being expressive:
He has his looks. His blocky face. And don't underestimate the importance of body language!

Seriously though, a character's deadpan expression can easily be used to hilarious (or terrifying) effect.
EDIT: It's probably why Killager memes happened, though the Villager's always smiling instead of neutral.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I feel like Scorpion would be extremely likely if modern MK wasn’t banned in Japan. I can’t see Sakurai wanting to promote a “No-no” game in Smash; no matter how iconic/popular it is in the West.

What’s the reason for the ban anyway? Sure MK is gory but it’s really over the top & almost cartoony. Is it just because the violence is mainly towards humans unlike Resident Evil or Doom?

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I feel like Scorpion would be extremely likely if modern MK wasn’t banned in Japan. I can’t see Sakurai wanting to promote a “No-no” game in Smash; no matter how iconic/popular it is in the West.

What’s the reason for the ban anyway? Sure MK is gory but it’s really over the top & almost cartoony. Is it just because the violence is mainly towards humans unlike Resident Evil or Doom?
Current MK was released on steam in Japan. So it’s not banned. It just doesn’t sell well over there. Like the Xbox.

Nquoid

Smash Ace
Speaking of how different games consoles sell in different regions, I found this tweet thread from a few days ago super fascinating to see the break down in sales for XBox, PS4 and Switch.

Nintendo are the console manufacturer who don't have to be so readily reliant on the US market when making a console:

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Sure, but you're a Nintendo fan who doesn't look back fondly on Banjo Kazooie. Most of the anti-Banjo sentiments I've seen have come from people who were too young to experience Banjo during it's heyday. A lot can change in 20 years, including people growing up and maybe not having time for video games anymore. But nostalgia is a hell of a drug, and this is the kind of big get character that would appeal to lapsed players. Far more so than any other pick in the lineup.
To be fair, it's probably not a bad idea to also toss a bone to your original target audience in case your new 'expanded audience' decides it's a one and done type of deal for them.

The Wii expanded Nintendo's customer base only for that brand new audience to have grown bored with the concept of gaming by the time the Wii U rolled in, having moved on to tablets and iPhones and things. More traditional Nintendo fans probably wouldn't count many Wii Nintendo series entries as their favourite of the franchise bar maybe Mario Galaxy or Warioware.

Keeping your core fanbase happy and not feeling ignored is probably a good thing to try and do whilst simultaneously bringing in new audience members to promote future success.
That... That's my point. I didn't even say banjo was bad because of it. My point was he didn't bring a new audience as everyone who cared was already buying Smash. I even said this last week and I didn't recieve any pushback for it. Is this like me saying "Banjo has a gimmick" with people assuming I'm saying it with malice again? Good grief

SKX31

Smash Master

TBF, I do believe Nintendo has a better chance of keeping people now since they've begun pumping out mobile games in addition to console games. Something they didn't do during the Wii. Yes, there likely will be examples of Microtransaction Hell going forward (hopefully not too many), but as long as Nintendo keeps the general quality level I think it'll be manageable.

That's something Furukawa and other execs are aware of when they talk about expanding Nintendo's presence everywhere. Building a fanbase takes time, after all, and having a more constant presence (which the mobile games help) should help fill the stopgap in case the Switch's successor fails the same way the Wii U did.

That... That's my point. I didn't even say banjo was bad because of it. My point was he didn't bring a new audience as everyone who cared was already buying Smash. I even said this last week and I didn't recieve any pushback for it. Is this like me saying "Banjo has a gimmick" with people assuming I'm saying it with malice again? Good grief
While the audience itself might not be that large, Banjo's inclusion also built a very important bridge with Microsoft. If Microsoft gets a second character - and whoever that character is (likely a "new audience getter" like Steve or Chief) - Nintendo won't have to worry about Banjo fans screaming into their ear.

Of course, that's just one factor, but I believe that it's an important one.

Nquoid

Smash Ace
When you make a point of being anti-Banjo elsewhere how else are people supposed to read it?

And I do think you're underestimating that Banjo to Nintendo isn't 1:1.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Ah, sorry, I must have missed this part of the discussion. In that case I agree with you.

I do stand by what I said though even if it's just echoing your own thoughts. I really do think both going for new audiences and appeasing the old one to keep that loyalty are incredibly important and it boggles my mind not every company seems to be in touch with what that core userbase is interested in. Not saying Sakurai and Nintendo aren't, but there's plenty of other examples of companies who have missed the appeal of their own franchise to their initial fanbase to go chase a new one.

But yes, you do have a repuation of being the anti-Banjo user so err...I guess I can only apologise for misinterperating you here. Sorry Gwen.

Pallex

Smash Journeyman

That is what the remixes in Smash are for. Like a couple of Persona original tracks are in the game but went unused in favor of the remixes.

DoomJerk

Smash Rookie
NNID
DoomJerk
Switch FC
SW-7821-3739-0301

I'll accept a Resident Evil character, but only if they remix this

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
Ok, shifting gears in regards to potential upcoming DLC fighters; Dante from Devil May Cry. It got me thinking; back in February 7, 2019, NintendoLife published an article in regards to Dante's demand for Smash Bros. Ultimate, alongside with words from current Devil May Cry director, Hidaki Itsuno. Pretty much Itsuno said that before considering Dante for Smash, Capcom should bring Devil May Cry games to the Switch. Fast-forward to June 24, 2019; Devil May Cry (1) was released on the Nintendo Switch eShop, and most recently Devil May Cry 2 was shadow-dropped/announced during the September 4 Direct, and released on September 19, 2019. Now, with the announcement of more DLC fighters coming after the current fighters pass, and estimating somewhat of a release window pattern here; if by December 2019 we get Devil May Cry 3, and maybe Devil May Cry 4 around March 2020; I'd say Dante might be a likely addition within the DLC post-pass. It can't be mere coincidence that the Devil May Cry team acknowledges the demand for Dante in Smash, and a few months later the Devil May Cry games start popping up on the eShop.

KatKit

Smash Lord
Outside of Smash, I can tell you for certain that 2B sold copies of Soul Calibur 6 to people who wouldn't have bought it otherwise (and helped contribute to a second season of DLC that wasn't planned for), and Akuma brought Street Fighter players to Tekken (he's not DLC though). However, Geese Howard is, and he brought his fair share of 2D fighter fans, too.

As for Smash, Snake wasn't DLC. Unsurprisingly, its DLC has always sold well, and at the very least, it got people to purchase DLC who normally wouldn't. And the evidence is anecdotal, but on my old anime forum, Cloud got quite a few members to buy Wii U's lol. He's in the base roster in Ultimate so it almost seems mundane, but his inclusion in 4 was pretty huge. Same for Ryu and Bayonetta.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Ok, shifting gears in regards to potential upcoming DLC fighters; Dante from Devil May Cry. It got me thinking; back in February 7, 2019, NintendoLife published an article in regards to Dante's demand for Smash Bros. Ultimate, alongside with words from current Devil May Cry director, Hidaki Itsuno. Pretty much Itsuno said that before considering Dante for Smash, Capcom should bring Devil May Cry games to the Switch. Fast-forward to June 24, 2019; Devil May Cry (1) was released on the Nintendo Switch eShop, and most recently Devil May Cry 2 was shadow-dropped/announced during the September 4 Direct, and released on September 19, 2019. Now, with the announcement of more DLC fighters coming after the current fighters pass, and estimating somewhat of a release window pattern here; if by December 2019 we get Devil May Cry 3, and maybe Devil May Cry 4 around March 2020; I'd say Dante might be a likely addition within the DLC post-pass. It can't be mere coincidence that the Devil May Cry team acknowledges the demand for Dante in Smash, and a few months later the Devil May Cry games start popping up on the eShop.
I've actually been thinking the same way for Doom Slayer given Doom Eternal's release in November. I could very well see Dante maybe being the first post DLC fighter in that case.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

Yeah it's banned for excessive violence and gore, most likely due to fatalities involving realistic human dismemberment.
https://appuals.com/mortal-kombat-11-skips-japan-release-due-to-excessively-violent-content/

Current MK was released on steam in Japan. So it’s not banned. It just doesn’t sell well over there. Like the Xbox.
Steam doesn't count because Valve isn't bound to censorship rules unlike the three console manufacturers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom