• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
So would the box art/website/certain trailers look be alright? Rounded edges, including in the texture itself, should never happen imo; needs at least the same basic eyes, same beard, same hair. His clothing could have “realistic” detail I guess (like the EarthBound boys or Mario) but still keep the edges of the model as clean cut rectangles with his head keeping the squares for his facial features. They could still keep his noisy texture and give him expressions, anyway.

A redesign ain’t gonna fly.
Then you don't get in.

Everyone else gets a redesign(except, arguably, Game & Watch). You don't want one, find some other game to crash.

I don't suppose you guys could see a Resident Evil character joining in the future?
Easily.

Ok, shifting gears in regards to potential upcoming DLC fighters; Dante from Devil May Cry.
If Dante gets in, I want his reveal trailer to just be someone holding a physical copy of Smash Bros. and they stick a "Featuring Dante From The Devil May Cry Series" sticker on it.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
That... That's my point. I didn't even say banjo was bad because of it. My point was he didn't bring a new audience as everyone who cared was already buying Smash. I even said this last week and I didn't recieve any pushback for it. Is this like me saying "Banjo has a gimmick" with people assuming I'm saying it with malice again? Good grief
You called?

Flyboy

Smash Hero
As another example of DLC selling a game, Negan in Tekken. I even know people who didn't care for Tekken suddenly buy Tekken 7 after Negan was announced
Absolutely - my old boss loves the Walking Dead and when I told him Negan was DLC he pulled the trailer up on his work PC and was freaking out. He bought the game later that week, his first since Tekken 3.

Appealing to wide audiences and the core audience in equal measure is a positive. Tekken is actually a fantastic example - its DLC has included returning fan favorites like Julia or Zafina, crazy guests like Geese and Negan, and even brand new Tekken originals in Leroy, and all of them have been exciting to different fanbases and audiences. It's all thanks to character variety, which is a point I will beat to ****ing death if I have to.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Then you don't get in.

Everyone else gets a redesign(except, arguably, Game & Watch). You don't want one, find some other game to crash.
They don’t, actually, outside of cases like Ridley and K. Rool which are still heavily based on past looks. Unless you count “realistic” detail as redesigning a character (which I guess counts but eh, it’s literally just applying a new texture/some fur or hair stuffs), and I mentioned they could give his clothing such detail. Most characters stick to looking like how they do in their games minus the extra detail. This isn’t even a rule either, though. They can already make him fit in better according to other people’s opinions by using the website/box art look. It sounds like y’all want Sakurai to completely change his identity and what game he comes from.

I don’t get why it matters so much, anyway. It’s not like characters’ art styles blend in already. You’ve got Mario, Snake, and the FE characters, now tell me they look like they’re from the same universe. Or Mr. Game & Watch, and stages like Hanenbow...

And I really don’t get why some people are so stupid mad over people wanting a videogame character in a frickin videogame.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
They don’t, actually, outside of cases like Ridley and K. Rool which are still heavily based on past looks.
Based on, yes. But they don't look like they were actually lifted out of the game they came from. Unless you redesign Steve to some extent, that's how he'd look. Like he was lifted out of an N64/PS1 game. And Smash doesn't do that for it's playable characters(though it does for Assist Trophies).

Like, I really want Kunio to be in, and almost all of Kunio's identity and popularity are tied up in his 8-bit sprite. But I hold absolutely no illusions that they'd use that design for him if he got into Smash.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Based on, yes. But they don't look like they were actually lifted out of the game they came for. Unless you redesign Steve to some extent, that's how he'd look. Like he was lifted out of an N64/PS1 game. And Smash doesn't do that for it's playable characters(though it does for Assist Trophies).

Like, I really want Kunio to be in, and almost all of Kunio's identity and popularity are tied up in his 8-bit sprite. But I hold absolutely no illusions that they'd use that design for him if he got into Smash.
So did you not actually read my post, then? I already said they could use his website/box art...promotional design and they could give him “realistic” detail on his clothing maybe like Mario or the EarthBound boys. If you take away the rectangles for his body parts and edges of eyes, etc. then he isn’t Minecraft anymore. He could still be made expressive with i.e. eyes widening to 2x2 size and moving pupils and whatnot, maybe squinting sometimes or slanting his eyes to look angry/confident. Dungeons does this kind of stuff. And Steve can blink right now in the Bedrock Edition’s betas.

And no, most characters look exactly how they do in their games aside from some (like Peach or some FE characters) having minor differences in their facial structure, as well as the detail they add to their textures.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Then you don't get in.

The characters in Super Smash Bros. aren't typically redesigned so much as they're drawn in a new artstyle. The characters that are redesigned are the ones that have multiple looks over the years. For example:
  • Wolf's design is pretty much an original design based on his most popular appearances.
  • Roy's design is based mostly on his original appearance, but it also pulls some elements from his appearance in Fire Emblem: Awakening.
  • Captain Falcon's design is probably the only outlier here, as it's not really based on anything, and he only started appearing like this in his games after his appearance in Smash.
As for Steve, I think the most they'd do is model in his clothing rather than just texturing it in and, this would be a given, clean up his textures considerably.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
So did you not actually read my post, then? I already said they could use his website/box art.
I read that, looked it up, didn't really see a difference.

And no, most characters look exactly how they do in their games aside from some (like Peach or some FE characters) having minor differences in their facial structure, as well as the detail they add to their textures.
That's...that's just blatently false.

You're gonna tell me Simon, Mega Man, Duck Hunt, Ice Climbers, every Pokemon, etc. look the same in their games that they do in Smash?

Basically, any character that didn't ALREADY look like a Smash character, looks completely different in Smash.

The characters in Super Smash Bros. aren't typically redesigned so much as they're drawn in a new artstyle.
That's a bit semantic, but sure.

As for Steve, I think the most they'd do is model in his clothing rather than just texturing it in and, this would be a given, clean up his textures considerably.
The textures for certain. Obviously he's still gonna be a block man.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend

You're gonna tell me Simon, Mega Man, Duck Hunt, Ice Climbers, every Pokemon, etc. look the same in their games that they do in Smash?

Basically, any character that didn't ALREADY look like a Smash character, looks completely different in Smash.
Simon's design seems to be an amalgamation of all of his previous designs (with emphasis on his original design), but the rest of these characters are just sprite interpretations. Their design hasn't changed, they're just in 3D now.
EDIT: And of course in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate's artstyle but I don't think that really counts as a redesign.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Simon's design seems to be an amalgamation of all of his previous designs (with emphasis on his original design), but the rest of these characters are just sprite interpretations. Their design hasn't changed, they're just in 3D now.
Okay, this is semantic again. Taking an old sprite and turning it into a 3d model with no attempt at simulating pixels is a MASSIVE change in...I guess you don't like the term design...artstyle.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I read that, looked it up, didn't really see a difference.

The Pokémon? Yes, just Incineroar and Lucario have noticeable fur. Like what I’ve mentioned about texture stuffs.

Some characters take elements from their different appearances but still look basically the same.

Some characters like Simon and I guess Mega Man get new designs but are still based on artwork alongside sprites. Mega Man already looked similar to this in artwork and yeah Simon got a lot of updates but he does share features with past art/looks. Old NES-only characters are a given, they basically interpret their sprites and old art on the cartridge or disc; but yeah, new design.

You’re still ignoring the majority like the Kirby characters, Mario characters, Bayonetta...they’re not so much brand-spanking-new designs as they are the same thing but with higher detail. Their designs already don’t fit with each other, but it doesn’t look bad imo and Steve wouldn’t either. It’s like Mario and Pauline looking odd in a city of realistic humans.

And it really feels like what I said they can do for Steve already fits what you’re asking for, I really hope you’re not saying they should make him or his eyes and stuff round.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
You’re still ignoring the majority like the Kirby characters, Mario characters, Bayonetta...
Again, those are characters that already looked like they belonged in the Smash game they were introduced in. Any character that didn't look like they created for the Smash game they were introduced in, were...restylized. Steve doesn't look like he was created for Smash Ultimate. So if he gets added, he'll probably be restylized into something that does.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Again, those are characters that already looked like they belonged in the Smash game they were introduced in. Any character that didn't look like they created for the Smash game they were introduced in, were...restylized. Steve doesn't look like he was created for Smash Ultimate. So if he gets added, he'll probably be restylized into something that does.
Like his box art look but maybe with fine cloth details.

I don’t want a round face, that’s not Minecraft. It’s like you ignored what I said for Steve previously if you’re just talkin’ textures.

The most they’d likely do for his model is bump his clothing up and maybe make his shirt a little loose with physics like Peach’s dress or different characters’ hair, but only a bit. His eyes would also be able to blink, slant, squint, widen, and move their pupils, while staying (what we can noticeably see) on the same plane as the rest of his face.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Okay, this is semantic again. Taking an old sprite and turning it into a 3d model with no attempt at simulating pixels is a MASSIVE change in...I guess you don't like the term design...artstyle.
Character design and artstyle aren't the same thing though. A character's design is what said character looks like (color pallet, body type, etc.) and how it conveys their character while an artstyle is just how it's drawn. You wouldn't say the individual character portraits and the "Everyone is Here" oil painting are different designs. Same thing with Mario's design. Sometimes it's more detailed (Super Smash Bros., Super Mario Odyssey), sometimes it's less detailed (Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario 3D World), but it hasn't changed at all.

ToddCam

Smash Journeyman
I get that language evolves over time. But sometimes it's regrettable.

Smash Boards has contributed in terrible ways.

The creation of the redundant word deconfirm.

The muddying of the word iconic to mean "kinda popular".

Oh well.

Calamitas

Smash Champion

Oh well.
Well, yeah. That's how languages develop. Just because it happens on the internet doesn't make it any less valid of a change.

KatKit

Smash Lord
You must admit, disconfirm just doesn't have the same ring to it.

As far as gaming nomenclature goes (aside from being common e.g. debuff), adding the Latin prefix de to reverse the verb's action of confirm is innocuous, in my opinion.

Last edited:

Roberk

Smash Champion
Vi may actually be one of League's top potential picks for a League rep. I found a post detailing that Riot themselves made a mod for Brawl with League of Legends characters including Vi.

https://smashboards.com/threads/league-of-legends-in-brawl-made-by-riot.395697/

https://kotaku.com/sadly-this-league-of-legends-mod-for-smash-bros-will-1692625971

1569779928409.png

In their free time, some Riot developers made a Smash Bros. mod that League of Legends-ified the game. Sadly, Super League Bros. (as I like to call it) will most likely never see the light of day since Riot said it was "just for fun." At least we can gaze upon some fuzzy pictures and dream of what could have been.
Apparently Riot has been interested in Smash and they definitely seem like they'd want League characters in Smash (especially Vi :cool:). Now that Smash is expanding its horizons, a western rep from a platform that Nintendo has no involvement in may not be so far off.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Then you don't get in.

Did Joker really receive all that much of a redesign? Luminary too for that matter.

I understand the argument, but I'd say a solid 50+ percent of the cast don't receive redesigns, or at least drastic ones as you seem to be suggesting.

Oh well.
TohruCry.gif

Finally someone gets my plight.

For so long I have waited for someone like you to acknowledge that the word deconfirm isn't actually a word.

I feel true peace for once in this speculation cycle. Thank you.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
League of Legends, more like Leagues of DECONFIRMED characters. :4pacman:

SKX31

Smash Master
Vi may actually be one of League's top potential picks for a League rep. I found a post detailing that Riot themselves made a mod for Brawl with League of Legends characters including Vi.

https://kotaku.com/sadly-this-league-of-legends-mod-for-smash-bros-will-1692625971

Apparently Riot has been interested in Smash and they definitely seem like they'd want League characters in Smash (especially Vi :cool:). Now that Smash is expanding its horizons, a western rep from a platform that Nintendo has no involvement in may not be so far off.
Oh yeah, that's the main reason I've been holding a 25-30 %-ish chance on a MOBA character. Riot (and Valve for that matter) are very, very open to the possibility and positive to Nintendo - this needs to be emphasized. It's one of those genres I feel are being slept on because most here have no experience with it. I don't blame anyone for that, your standard LoL / Dota 2 match is a major time commitment.

Still, I should mention, if Sakurai's indeed interested in this genre it would likely be because of a genre rising from just a modded map in an unrelated game (WarCraft III, with elements from StarCraft).

So, me and SKX31 SKX31 want to take this MOBA talk further. I made a thread to gauge interest in a League character in general here: https://smashboards.com/threads/league-of-legends-champions-for-smash.489880/

So if anyone has an interest in this, go check it out! Especially Roberk Roberk and KatKit KatKit , since you seem to be the most interested.
I mentioned this to you, but I'm waiting a bit on a potential Dota 2 (being LoL's main competitor and former fierce rival. The rivalry was as bad as the SNES / Genesis one, I'm not kidding.) thread until I'm sure there's enough interest here for it, and / or any Switch ports.

MainJPW

M.T.A
Finally someone gets my plight.

For so long I have waited for someone like you to acknowledge that the word deconfirm isn't actually a word.

I feel true peace for once in this speculation cycle. Thank you.
It has been decreed that on this day, the "word" Deconfirmed has been Disconfirmed.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Oh yeah, that's the main reason I've been holding a 25-30 %-ish chance on a MOBA character. Riot (and Valve for that matter) are very, very open to the possibility and positive to Nintendo - this needs to be emphasized. It's one of those genres I feel are being slept on because most here have no experience with it. I don't blame anyone for that, your standard LoL / Dota 2 match is a major time commitment.

Still, I should mention, if Sakurai's indeed interested in this genre it would likely be because of a genre rising from just a modded map in an unrelated game (WarCraft III, with elements from StarCraft).

I mentioned this to you, but I'm waiting a bit on a potential Dota 2 (being LoL's main competitor and former fierce rival. The rivalry was as bad as the SNES / Genesis one, I'm not kidding.) thread until I'm sure there's enough interest here for it, and / or any Switch ports.
Yeah, sure! Just wanted to tag you as one of the people who made the conversation happen in the first place.

And no kidding about the time commitment thing - the reason I went for LoL instead of Dota 2 when I became curious about MOBAs was because of Dota's complexity. Even as a non-player, I was able to understand most of what was happening by watching League gameplay. Dota, though? Feels like visiting the airplane's cockpit as a kid.

When you think about it, I guess LoL was to MOBAs what Smash was to fighting games in regards to being more beginner-friendly.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Ok, shifting gears in regards to potential upcoming DLC fighters; Dante from Devil May Cry. It got me thinking; back in February 7, 2019, NintendoLife published an article in regards to Dante's demand for Smash Bros. Ultimate, alongside with words from current Devil May Cry director, Hidaki Itsuno. Pretty much Itsuno said that before considering Dante for Smash, Capcom should bring Devil May Cry games to the Switch. Fast-forward to June 24, 2019; Devil May Cry (1) was released on the Nintendo Switch eShop, and most recently Devil May Cry 2 was shadow-dropped/announced during the September 4 Direct, and released on September 19, 2019. Now, with the announcement of more DLC fighters coming after the current fighters pass, and estimating somewhat of a release window pattern here; if by December 2019 we get Devil May Cry 3, and maybe Devil May Cry 4 around March 2020; I'd say Dante might be a likely addition within the DLC post-pass. It can't be mere coincidence that the Devil May Cry team acknowledges the demand for Dante in Smash, and a few months later the Devil May Cry games start popping up on the eShop.
While it's relatively suspicious I don't think it's a super evidence for Dante in Smash, and I have a hard time imagining someone who wants Dante for the game more than me.
The thing is, at the time Itsuno said that he already knew about the port of DMC1 for Switch? I would guess so, he's the director of the all mainline DMC games except the first one. In any case maybe he knew about the port at that time but that doesn't mean DMC ports = Dante in Smash, at least for me. I think Dante has decent chances but I wouldn't bet money on him, at least now.

Besides Smash it's obvious that soon they will release DMC3 for Switch, and I'm also expecting 4.

Roberk

Smash Champion
While it's relatively suspicious I don't think it's a super evidence for Dante in Smash, and I have a hard time imagining someone who wants Dante for the game more than me.
The thing is, at the time Itsuno said that he already knew about the port of DMC1 for Switch? I would guess so, he's the director of the all mainline DMC games except the first one. In any case maybe he knew about the port at that time but that doesn't mean DMC ports = Dante in Smash, at least for me. I think Dante has decent chances but I wouldn't bet money on him, at least now.

Besides Smash it's obvious that soon they will release DMC3 for Switch, and I'm also expecting 4.
>I have a hard time imagining someone who wants Dante for the game more than me.
Idon Idon begs to differ.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
>I have a hard time imagining someone who wants Dante for the game more than me.
Idon Idon begs to differ.
Well in my defense I would say I'm relatively new to Smashboards so I don't know everyone so well hahaha. But I've already guessed he was a fan from his avatar, and he has a really cool one btw :b:

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Yeah, sure! Just wanted to tag you as one of the people who made the conversation happen in the first place.

And no kidding about the time commitment thing - the reason I went for LoL instead of Dota 2 when I became curious about MOBAs was because of Dota's complexity. Even as a non-player, I was able to understand most of what was happening by watching League gameplay. Dota, though? Feels like visiting the airplane's cockpit as a kid.

When you think about it, I guess LoL was to MOBAs what Smash was to fighting games in regards to being more beginner-friendly.
It feels a little weird to have this much impact on speculation already. If I may self-stroke a bit, I've harped on not just MOBAs, but also China and Nintendo's President. And now they're much more talked about than before. Maybe I'm turning into Episode III Palpatin- POWER! UNLIIMITED POWER!

And yeah, it's the main difference between the two. LoL's intentionally designed so that its characters fit neat categories, and beginners could tell at a glance what each character did at the cost of some flexibility. Dota 2 kept the old (and opposite) approach, overpoweredness and lots of hidden flexibility with its heroes - "everyone's broken, so no one is", but it becomes complex quick.

I'm pretty sure Dante's been on Sakurai's mind since Bayo made it in, and IMHO he stands a pretty good chance as is. Still, I'm getting the impression that the ports and the Smash appearance were at least considered in tandem. Doesn't mean the appearance will happen of course, but again I'm pretty certain he's on the radar.

KatKit

Smash Lord

View attachment 240058

Wow, I vaguely remember the Smashboards article for this! It's good to know that there are people in the League community who are down for a Smash rep, but the devs being huge fans, too? I'm sure they had a blast making/playing that mod. That makes me more excited for their upcoming fighting game.

He-Was-Number-Wan

Smash Rookie
Throwing a wrench in the conversational gears here: does anyone else low-key want Goose from Untitled Goose Game as a ridiculous side-project character a la Piranha Plant?

#PressYToPayDisrespects

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
I'm used to 'confirm' and 'disconfirm' meaning to provide evidence for and to provide evidence against, respectively. 'Deconfirm' means to absolutely rule out. I'm sympathetic to preferences for other words in place of 'deconfirm', but not 'disconfirm'.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Throwing a wrench in the conversational gears here: does anyone else low-key want Goose from Untitled Goose Game as a ridiculous side-project character a la Piranha Plant?

#PressYToPayDisrespects
Honestly, I know that I'm really not supposed to want the goose in, based on conventional Smash wisdom and how we should want icons or whatever, but also he's too funny to say no to. There's no way it would happen but I would love it if so.

Nquoid

Smash Ace

#PressYToPayDisrespects
Goose is the purest thing to happen to video games in years.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

#PressYToPayDisrespects
I'll never understand the appeal of these kinds of joke characters. To me, they're just the flavour of the month. First it was wii remote safety guy, then joy-con man and now a goose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom