• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

changemusic

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 4021 7744 1725
I'm gonna throw out another 16 slot thing but it's probably gonna be immediately hated on due to lack of first-party characters. I really think Sakurai (and I) are sold on the idea of Smash being a crossover across all video games, old and new.

1. Piranha Plant (Mario / Nintendo)
2. Joker (Persona 5 / Sega-Atlus)
3. Hero (Dragon Quest / Square Enix)
4. Banjo & Kazooie (Banjo-Kazooie / Microsoft)
5. Terry (Fatal Fury / SNK)
6. Doomguy (Doom / Bethesda)
7. Geno (Super Mario RPG / Square Enix)
8. Travis Touchdown (No More Heroes / Suda51)
9. Jill Valentine (Resident Evil / Capcom)
10. Crash Bandicoot (Crash Bandicoot / Activision)
11. Scorpion (Mortal Kombat / Warner Bros)
12. Beat (Jet Set Radio / Sega)
13. Jin (Tekken / Bandai Namco)
14. Steve (Minecraft / Microsoft)
15. Lara Croft (Tomb Raider / Square Enix-C.D.)
16. Rayman (Rayman / Ubisoft)

AinsOoalGown

Smash Apprentice
I'll try to do the dlc prediction thing too, though I'll try to mix up the ones I believe plausible with some "wildcards" for the sake of being "more interesting"so it may look a bit weird and I may forget some characters:

1. Piranha Plant
2. Joker
3. Hero
4. Banjo Kazooie
5. Terry Bogard
6. Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden / Koei Tecmo)
7. Dixie Kong (as a freebie between Fighter passes)
8. Jin Kazama (Tekken / Namco)
9. Rex (Xenoblade)
10. Crash (Crash Bandicoot /Activision)
11. Sol Badguy (Guilty Gear/ArcSys)
12. Spring Man (maybe with Ribbon Girl as an alt or echo and Springton replacing his AT)
13. Akira Howard (either the pass having 6 characters or as a post pass one)
14. Excitebiker (standalone retro adition with stage)
15. Melmetal (standalone surprise adition with stage)
16. Waluigi (to finish it up if its only 16, I'd keep going otherwise)

I'm missing a ton of characters I'd also like and I'll probably change my mind on it a billion times though

I also would like some kind of "echo pack" but adding then here would "waste" the slot I guess
Zeraora for Lucario, Impa for Sheik, Miss Pacman etc, theres a lot that can be added there

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
I'll give the 16 DLC character slot a try:

1. Piranha Plant (Super Mario)
2. Joker (Persona 5)
3. Hero (Dragon Quest)
4. Banjo & Kazooie (Banjo-Kazooie)
5. Terry Bogard (Fatal Fury)
6. Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)
7. Doom Guy (Doom)
8. Heihachi Mishima (Tekken)
9 Sol Badguy (Guilty Gear)
10. Shantae (Shantae)
11. Jill Valentine (Resident Evil)
12. Edelgard (Fire Emblem: Three Houses)
13. Pokemon Sword & Shield Rep (Pokemon Sword & Shield)
14. Rex & Pyra (Xenoblade Chronicles 2)
15. Akira Howard (Astral Chain)
16. Tracer/D. Va (Overwatch)

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Here's a quote from another thread:
If you are mad that Joker is in Smash Bros., fine.
Not complaining, but I suddenly found a solution to this via modding:

1. Choose a character to make a moveset (project smash attacks) mod of. (for example Kai)

2. Build a model of the character.

3. Code/program the character's moveset with a designated modding program.

4. Get/make an artwork of the character and make 7 recolors.

5. Assign the moveset (project smash attacks) mod (both model and moveset) to replace Joker/Ren (or other unwatned playable character on the roster).

6. Replace the CSP of Joker/Ren (or other unwatned playable character on the roster) with the artwork of the character that you're modding.

7. Install and test out the moveset (project smash attacks) mod. If there are any problems and/or glitches/bugs, try repairing them.

And Viola! I've finally removed Joker/Ren (or (insert unwanted playable character here)).

Also, if you're making a moveset (project smash attacks) mod to convert an assist trophy to a playable character, you can also using modding to make any current assist trophy never be an assist trophy again.

1. Choose a character who looks similar, and/or has similar proportions to the assist trophy you're replacing. (eg Papyrus for Waluigi)

3. Replace the assist trophy model with the model you created.

4. Get/make an artwork of the character that will replace the assist trophy.

5. Replace the assist trophy icon with the artwork.

6. Try summoning the assist trophy that you replaced the model in training mode as a test.

And yes! It's going to work.

As of now, I know it's possible in Brawl and Smash 4, but for Ultimate we're going to have to wait until moveset modding gets released.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Just gotta wait for VergeBen to speak up is all. Once he says who it is its over then.
I'm regarding DLC fighter 5.

And when the next batch of DLC fighters comes close to being announced in the future just wait for him as usual to speak up and we then know our answer.
Please no. Leakers kill all the hype and mystery. I’d much rather he keep quiet or get the next character(s) wrong.

As for 16 I’d like to see (regardless of how likely they are):

1. Piranha Plant
2. Joker
3. Hero
4. Banjo & Kazooie
5. Terry Bogard
6. Doom Slayer
7. Porky
8. Octoling
9. Bandana Dee
10. Dixie Kong
11. Rex & Pyra
12. Crash
13. ARMS Rep
14. Ryu Hayabusa
15. Gen 8 or Three Houses Rep
16. Geno

This absolutely won’t happen. But I’d much rather see this mix of first and third parties as opposed to just third parties. As for Octoling, I think it’s possible to have them represent Splatoon 2 more whereas Inkling represents Splatoon 1. However, Octoling would likely be an Echo. So if we’re not allowing Echoes, substitute in another popular first party, possibly the other of the two that doesn’t get in from slot 15.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Please no. Leakers kill all the hype and mystery. I’d much rather he keep quiet or get the next character(s) wrong.
But knowing VergeBen and always doing so for every time the reveal is coming close or so. We know he's going to spill the beans.

Run from it. Dread from it.

Its inevitable.

Last edited:

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
Just gotta wait for VergeBen to speak up is all. Once he says who it is its over then.
He's been pretty late the last two times. He namedropped Banjo barely a week before the E3 presentation, and he leaked Terry about 2-3 days before the September Direct.

It's interesting that he could confirm Terry so easily, actually, but didn't bother investigating before then.

Slime Master

Smash Ace
IIRC Vergeben is sick of leaking smash and only leaked Banjo and Terry because other leaks were pointing to them and people were pestering him to confirm. Not to say that won't happen again, but I would expect another late leak if so.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
He's been pretty late the last two times. He namedropped Banjo barely a week before the E3 presentation, and he leaked Terry about 2-3 days before the September Direct.

It's interesting that he could confirm Terry so easily, actually, but didn't bother investigating before then.
I guess the whole SNK credit thing on Nintendo of Europe's website gave him the extra confidence to confirm Terry.
I think he didn't say anything until that came up.

Darkmoone1

Smash Apprentice

Not really. In his perspective, he's a reputable informant of Smash DLC news before it happens. So if he's gonna take a shot he's going to make sure it's not gonna miss. Playing it safe with a reputation to uphold is only logical. Now, if he name dropped someone right now, months in advance to Terrys release and the announcement of the next character; Now that would be interesting.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

He's also been tired of Smash fans being assholes to him so it makes sense he doesn't want to say it in advance to get people talking to him, not to mention I believe he said he realized how much danger his sources could get into if they get caught so he's not going to leak until he's certain his sources can't be traced back to

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
That's all fair and good. I guess leaking Square's shortlist was a little more than he bargained for.

At any rate, I vastly prefer this "staying mum unless someone else spills the beans" strategy of his. From the sound of it, it's healthier for everyone involved (except Nintendo of course, but that can't be helped).

merchantofsalt

Smash Apprentice
I'm still very skeptical of the idea that we're getting sixteen DLC characters. But I'll throw my hat into the ring I guess:

1. Joker
2. Hero
3. Banjo & Kazooie
4. Terry

All of these are done already.

5. Leon (Resident Evil)

To me this seems like a no-brainer for Capcom and Leon has history with Nintendo, thanks to RE4. There's a lot of moveset potential and he's been requested for years. Capcom is supporting the Switch with plentiful RE ports so I don't see why not. His only real competition is Monster Hunter, but it seems clear that there is no interest to include a Monster Hunter character over the monsters themselves as bosses. (And as an MH fan I think that's the right way to go.)

6. Heihachi (Tekken)

Apparently Sakurai already toyed with the idea in Smash 4, but that doesn't mean it's not happening now; he's changed his mind about characters plenty of times before. If not Heihachi, it could be Jin (I don't see Kazuya happening), or even a SoulCalibur character instead, but I still think Heihachi is the most likely choice. I also find him more likely than a Tales, Dark Souls, or Katamari character from Namco.

7. Arle (Puyo Puyo)

Another choice that just makes sense. SEGA character, enduringly popular series in Japan, making headway internationally, hotly requested for a long time, moveset potential... it's all there. In terms of another SEGA rep, she has no real competition other than a PSO character or, less likely, a second Sonic rep, neither of which appears in character polls reliably.

8. Kunio / Riki (River City)

Arc System Works owns the Kunio-kun IP which has been experiencing a Nintendo-centric revival over the last few years. Kunio's a classic retro character with modern relevance who could bring Riki as an easy alt. Alternately they could bring in Misako and Kyoko to rep River City Girls, but it seems unlikely that Sakurai would pick them over the OG protagonists.

9. Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)

Hayabusa's such an obvious pick that he's been rumored for months now. NES icon, Koei-Tecmo representative, lots of moveset potential. I'd be surprised if any other Tecmo character (from Dead or Alive or the Warriors games) got in over him.

10. York (Deadly Premonition)

This is just a crazy out-there pick now that Deadly Premonition is on Switch and the sequel is being developed exclusively for the system. I love Deadly Premonition and think York would be hilarious in Smash. I can only see it happening if Sakurai plays the game and happens to love it. I do think we'll get an unexpected curveball character like this as part of the DLC. If not him it could be 2B, assuming NieR: Automata gets a Switch port.

After two full Fighter Passes, I really doubt we'll get a third. I think we might get a couple loose Nintendo characters (a new Pokemon or Fire Emblem lord for example) or maybe a pack of Echo Fighters. It's weird how Sakurai went through the whole process of rebranding clones as Echo Fighters and yet introduced so few of them in the base game.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Still predicting Doom Slayer BTW as DLC fighter 5 of this Season Pass.

Terry comes out in November when Doom Eternal does. Doom Slayer gets revealed there, then at VGA much to everyone's surprise is announced to be released. If it is him timing would be perfect especially for commemoration for the upcoming game.

Won't deny I'm possibility wrong (And most likely I probably am) but I'm taking that chance so give or take.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Here's a quote from another thread:

Not complaining, but I suddenly found a solution to this via modding:

1. Choose a character to make a moveset (project smash attacks) mod of. (for example Kai)

3. Code/program the character's moveset with a designated modding program.

4. Get/make an artwork of the character and make 7 recolors.

5. Assign the moveset (project smash attacks) mod (both model and moveset) to replace Joker/Ren (or other unwatned playable character on the roster).

6. Replace the CSP of Joker/Ren (or other unwatned playable character on the roster) with the artwork of the character that you're modding.

7. Install and test out the moveset (project smash attacks) mod. If there are any problems and/or glitches/bugs, try repairing them.

And Viola! I've finally removed Joker/Ren (or (insert unwanted playable character here)).

Also, if you're making a moveset (project smash attacks) mod to convert an assist trophy to a playable character, you can also using modding to make any current assist trophy never be an assist trophy again.

1. Choose a character who looks similar, and/or has similar proportions to the assist trophy you're replacing. (eg Papyrus for Waluigi)

3. Replace the assist trophy model with the model you created.

4. Get/make an artwork of the character that will replace the assist trophy.

5. Replace the assist trophy icon with the artwork.

6. Try summoning the assist trophy that you replaced the model in training mode as a test.

And yes! It's going to work.

As of now, I know it's possible in Brawl and Smash 4, but for Ultimate we're going to have to wait until moveset modding gets released.
You say that like it's easy. lol

I think Project M's moded characters and costumes are the only ones that don't look like crap in comparison to the official ones.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
Guess I'll try
Fighters Pass+ Piranha Plant
Piranha Plant
Joker
Hero
Banjo-Kazooie
Terry
Carbuncle: Can't be a little bias can't I? Anyways, main mascot of an iconic franchise.

Outside the Pass
Bandana Dee: Major First party yet to get in
Dixie: Same as the dee
Geno: I don't want him, he's here for fan service
Porky: Major character without a spirit
Poochy: Same thing
Byleth: Three Houses rep, due its massive success
Obstagoon: Gen 8 Pokémon that's pretty popular as of now
Paper Mario: Same as the first two
Rayman: Fan requests come through!
Agumon: I don't have any more ideas

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
You say that like it's easy. lol

I think Project M's moded characters and costumes are the only ones that don't look like crap in comparison to the official ones.
Well how do like the idea of using moveset modding to get rid of unwanted playable characters?

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
By the way, I saw some more talk on The King of Fighters being a separate franchise from Fatal Fury, but they aren't they're the same. If you want anymore proof that they are LITERALLY the same franchise:

That's the title for the first Fatal Fury game. Fatal Fury: King of Fighters...

Edit: Also this just makes it more obvious as to why Terry was chosen over anyone else. He's been their poster boy since this game. And this was their first ever fighting game.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

10. York (Deadly Premonition)

This is just a crazy out-there pick now that Deadly Premonition is on Switch and the sequel is being developed exclusively for the system. I love Deadly Premonition and think York would be hilarious in Smash. I can only see it happening if Sakurai plays the game and happens to love it. I do think we'll get an unexpected curveball character like this as part of the DLC. If not him it could be 2B, assuming NieR: Automata gets a Switch port.
Ah Hell Yeah I'd absolutely love to see this happen. Deadly Premonition is 1 of those good bad games that I adore. It's rough, has not so good graphics, runs pretty poorly, very lengthy, and has a great and whacky story which I often hear is quite like Twin Peaks (maybe too much but idk I've never watched the show). It makes me really hope Sakurai actually has a huge soft spot for Deadly Premonition despite its glaring flaws cause now I really want a Smash remix of Life is Beautiful.

cothero

Smash Lord
I'm gonna throw out another 16 slot thing but it's probably gonna be immediately hated on due to lack of first-party characters. I really think Sakurai (and I) are sold on the idea of Smash being a crossover across all video games, old and new.

1. Piranha Plant (Mario / Nintendo)
2. Joker (Persona 5 / Sega-Atlus)
3. Hero (Dragon Quest / Square Enix)
4. Banjo & Kazooie (Banjo-Kazooie / Microsoft)
5. Terry (Fatal Fury / SNK)
6. Doomguy (Doom / Bethesda)
7. Geno (Super Mario RPG / Square Enix)
8. Travis Touchdown (No More Heroes / Suda51)
9. Jill Valentine (Resident Evil / Capcom)
10. Crash Bandicoot (Crash Bandicoot / Activision)
11. Scorpion (Mortal Kombat / Warner Bros)
12. Beat (Jet Set Radio / Sega)
13. Jin (Tekken / Bandai Namco)
14. Steve (Minecraft / Microsoft)
15. Lara Croft (Tomb Raider / Square Enix-C.D.)
16. Rayman (Rayman / Ubisoft)
That's actually a good list, except for Geno and Beat. Kinda delusional, but i like It.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
16 Fighters:

1. Aubrey II

Fighters Pass:

2. Not Batman
3. The Brave
4. Bear-Birdie
5. Trucker
6. SANS?! who??? probably that ninja fellow who's been rumored

Don't ask me for anything ever again:

7. Geno
8. Porky Minch
9. An Arc System Works character (I don't know who)
10. Steve
11. Crash Bandicoot
12. Lloyd Irving
13. Phoenix Wright
14. another third-party company that's not in yet (idk)
15. Doomguy
16. Waluigi

I tried to limit it to only having one Assist Trophy upgrade, assuming those are possible, and I gave it to Waluigi to end the DLC. If I were biased, though, I'd probably put Skull Kid or Midna.

Last edited:

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Oh you can do whatever you want. I personally don't consider any characters to be "unwanted"
That marvelous! When I say unwanted, I mean characters the modder doesn't want. Which depends on whoever is modding. For example, I don't want piranha plant.

Also, what are your opinions about replacing assist trophy models via modding? If I made a model of Papyrus with a tennis racket to replace Waluigi's assist trophy, I would be making fans happy.

In fact I'm not the first to create the idea of Papyrus replacing Waluigi's assist trophy: here's a quote from this reddit forum.
Example:

Promoted: Waluigi (Super Mario)
Replacement: Papyrus (Undertale)
Instead of "Wah, ha, ha!", Papyrus yells his signature "Nyeh heh heh!"

Papyrus uses a bone instead of a tennis racket.

On occasion, you can find him wearing his "cool dude" outfit.
Can't you just not buy/download them?
Well if I download them, I get a slot for my moveset (project smash attacks) mod. The reason why I bought Piranha Plant which was free is because, I can have a slot for my future playable toad mod.

Last edited:

cothero

Smash Lord
All this complaining about the game having too many third-party or unwanted characters is pretty pointless. People should have already realized that Smash grew to a point that this is becoming inevitable, as stated by Sakurai himself.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
All this complaining about the game having too many third-party or unwanted characters is pretty pointless. People should have already realized that Smash grew to a point that this is becoming inevitable, as stated by Sakurai himself.
I actually want more 3rd party characters.

merchantofsalt

Smash Apprentice
Ah Hell Yeah I'd absolutely love to see this happen. Deadly Premonition is 1 of those good bad games that I adore. It's rough, has not so good graphics, runs pretty poorly, very lengthy, and has a great and whacky story which I often hear is quite like Twin Peaks (maybe too much but idk I've never watched the show). It makes me really hope Sakurai actually has a huge soft spot for Deadly Premonition despite its glaring flaws cause now I really want a Smash remix of Life is Beautiful.
The story really is a lot like Twin Peaks (though it diverges greatly as it gets closer to the end), but that's not a bad thing. Both Twin Peaks and Deadly Premonition are on another level when it comes to absurdist/arthouse influences in TV/video games.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
But knowing VergeBen and always doing so for every time the reveal is coming close or so. We know he's going to spill the beans.

Run from it. Dread from it.

Its inevitable.
Can you at least not spell his name like that? It's literally just the German word for "forgive", not some fancy kind of Ben. I swear, it's already annoying enough that everyone pronounced the word like Verge-ben.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Maybe. But that doesn't everybody has to be happy with that.

And 'inevitable', like it's decided by Fate or something? Come on. Smash is made by human beings. The people in charge might have chosen the road that Smash will take, but it's a decision, not some kind of destiny.

SKX31

Smash Master
Maybe. But that doesn't everybody has to be happy with that.

And 'inevitable', like it's decided by Fate or something? Come on. Smash is made by human beings. The people in charge might have chosen the road that Smash will take, but it's a decision, not some kind of destiny.
I think it's more down to Ultimate's (and the Switch's) circumstances. IIRC Furukawa (Nintendo's President) and other execs built the list of characters for Sakurai to pull from. I've been doing a lot of digging into Furukawa's motives - in short he wants to expand Nintendo into other regions beyond Japan / NA / EU, and build those regions' Nintendo fanbases slowly but surely. While I can't say this with certainty I wouldn't be surprised if he sees Ultimate's DLC as one of the tools to grow said fanbases. By including characters popular in those non-primary regions (Tracer, Steve, Heihachi, etc.). I'm not saying he has the final say - Sakurai does, and Furukawa respects that - but Furukawa plays a major role here.

Outside of 5-6 first party characters (Waluigi, Isaac, Dixie, Elma, Skull Kid) it's getting increasingly difficult to really say "Yea, this first party character has a large amount of support behind him / her". The rest are either spread amongst itself (Three Houses, Pokemon, ARMS) or have to count on one of those five getting in to have a chance of increasing their support base. I won't say never ever, but on the other hand:

We already have 5 - presumably - companies in the Fighter Pass, with more likely on the way. Those other companies range from Activision-Blizzard and Koei-Tecmo (talked about here often) to Tencent (not talked about here alot, but deeply involved with Nintendo). And those companies can have multiple choices - Capcom's and S-E's benches are deep.

For example, there's a strong support base for Crash, so that alone makes him top a lot of peoples' "expected" list. On the other hand I wouldn't be surprised if Tencent really, really wants their only big name (internationally) franchise - League of Legends - in Ultimate. Thus I wouldn't be surprised if the bulk of DLC was third parties. Those popular with the Smash fanbase (at least in one or a couple major regions, like Hero, Banjo and Terry) might take the majority of slots, but I would not be surprised if there's at least one-two wildcards in there.

Last edited:

cothero

Smash Lord
Uh, guys, a litte off-topic question here. I haven't watched Detective Pikachu yet, but does Sakurai appears in a pos credit scene asking Pikachu to join the "Smash Initiative"? If he doesn't, that'd be a missed opportunity (same goes for Sonic movie).

changemusic

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 4021 7744 1725
That's actually a good list, except for Geno and Beat. Kinda delusional, but i like It.
Geno is quite the long shot.
However, I'm going to defend Beat right here, right now.
-Jet Set Radio being the first real "art game" as some like to put it, the music would be amazing.
-The UI gives similar vibes to Persona 5's, which we all know Sakurai loves to death. If he played JSR, he'd get the same feeling.
-Besides Streets of Rage, and that's a stretch, JSR is Sega's most celebrated franchise outside of Sonic and Atlus.
-What other franchise do we know that hasn't had a direct sequel since the early 2000s, has a cult following, and had only one game to vouch for its relevance to Nintendo platforms? I think they just landed in Smash last week!

We're in the wild west here so anythings possible at this point.

Last edited:

cothero

Smash Lord
Geno is quite the long shot.
However, I'm going to defend Beat right here, right now.
-Jet Set Radio being the first real "art game" as some like to put it, the music would be amazing.
-The UI gives similar vibes to Persona 5's, which we all know Sakurai loves to death. If he played JSR, he'd get the same feeling.
-Besides Streets of Rage, and that's a stretch, JSR is Sega's most celebrated franchise outside of Sonic and Atlus.
-What other franchise do we know that hasn't had a direct sequel since the early 2000s, has a cult following, and had only one game to vouch for its relevance to Nintendo platforms? I think they just landed in Smash last week!

We're in the wild west here so anythings possible at this point.
I meant the quantity was delusional, not the choices - which are excellent (excluding Geno and Beat). If Sakurai really wants Ultimate to be the greatest and most important video grame crossover ever, then Lara Croft needs to be in. C'mon, there are two Square Enix characters in the game already and i imagine they were both pretty hard to negotiate, so it wouldn't hurt to put old Lara in the game - if Sakurai really want to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom