• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Less then an hour to go... and surprisingly very little direct leaks in general. I think it was only the SNK thing right?

KatKit

Smash Lord
It'd be really funny if the guy predicting Dynasty Warriors is right and they just randomly add, like, Nobunaga Oda to Smash.
Obligatory: "It's Lu Bu, DO NOT PURSUE!"

That'd be super unexpected. I would buy the season pass for random Dynasty Warrior fans that got shunned for predicting it if that happened, I kid you not.

It would be freaking awkward if we ended up with someone like Marco instead.

Puerto Rican bois, assemble.
A Metal Slug rep (or reps) would be cool, too. Although Megaman's pellets and Fox's laser scare me, so I can only imagine someone with a heavy machine gun lol.

Last edited:

YsDisciple

Smash Lord
On the idea of a possible tag-team-type character being Fighter #4 (including Terry), there are a number of potential team combinations that could result in happening (again, IF we're getting a tag-team-type character).

1. Terry, Andy, Joe (representing Fatal Fury, as well as the Team Fatal Fury from King of Fighters 94' (and so on)). This would be the canon team; however the downside is that not many might know who Andy, and Joe are (on top of the other fact of others not even knowing who Terry is).

2. Terry, Kyo, and Mai/Nakoruru (representing King of Fighters with the inclusion of some of the most popular characters of the franchise). This team combo is ok-ish, however, since it's an amalgam of team members from other teams within KoF, well, it is what it is (of course, in recent KoF games you can make such teams).

3. Terry, Marco, Haohmaru (representing SNK fighting games). Now this team would consist of the most popular, or MC-type characters of SNK's hottest franchises (imo). Terry would be in for Fatal Fury and King of Fighters, Marco would be in for Metal Slug, and Haohmaru for Samurai Showdown. What's interesting of this team would be that you'd have a brawler in Terry, a gunner in Marco, and a swordfighter in Haohmaru.

It'd be neat if with said tagging mechanic, you'd have the other team members stand in the background (like Pokémon Trainer does). When the active fighter is KO'd, he would move to the background and the next one would enter the fight.

zferolie

Smash Hero
On the idea of a possible tag-team-type character being Fighter #4 (including Terry), there are a number of potential team combinations that could result in happening (again, IF we're getting a tag-team-type character).

1. Terry, Andy, Joe (representing Fatal Fury, as well as the Team Fatal Fury from King of Fighters 94' (and so on)). This would be the canon team; however the downside is that not many might know who Andy, and Joe are (on top of the other fact of others not even knowing who Terry is).

2. Terry, Kyo, and Mai/Nakoruru (representing King of Fighters with the inclusion of some of the most popular characters of the franchise). This team combo is ok-ish, however, since it's an amalgam of team members from other teams within KoF, well, it is what it is (of course, in recent KoF games you can make such teams).

3. Terry, Marco, Haohmaru (representing SNK fighting games). Now this team would consist of the most popular, or MC-type characters of SNK's hottest franchises (imo). Terry would be in for Fatal Fury and King of Fighters, Marco would be in for Metal Slug, and Haohmaru for Samurai Showdown. What's interesting of this team would be that you'd have a brawler in Terry, a gunner in Marco, and a swordfighter in Haohmaru.

It'd be neat if with said tagging mechanic, you'd have the other team members stand in the background (like Pokémon Trainer does). When the active fighter is KO'd, he would move to the background and the next one would enter the fight.
I mean its possible it may just be a 2 person tag mechanic. might make it more simpler, but also add some interesting mecanics like you can tag mid combo and the person jumps in with an attack so you can countinue the combo. Terry and Mai, Terry and Kyo, Terry and Nakoruru. or Terry and Athena seems the most likely choices.

Plus, this differese the team from Pokemon trainer as well, with the tag mechanic being a core of the gameplay like in normal Tag games, and with it being just 2 it makes it a lot less com plicated to get the partner you want.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Looks like this thread is going to be here a lot longer than any of us expected. lol

Please hype responsibly. Have at it!

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Terry! TERRY BABY! YOU LOOK ****ING FINE AS HELL!!!

Screenshot_20190904-182141_YouTube.jpg

No Hayabusa? I ain't even mad.

Vycoul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vycoul
I had made peace with the fact Terry was getting in over his infinitely more interesting rivals from KoF (Nakoruru being chief among them)... until that reveal trailer. lol

It's a shame fighting game protagonists are almost always so dull. SF, KoF... hell even new series like ARMS. I get the reasoning is marketing, but when these series get their turn in Smash, it always results in the most bland characters getting the spotlight instead of the more unique characters, some of whom seriously upstage the main character. (ARMs for example)

I have a lot of respect for KoF, and Terry himself contrary to this post's tone. It's just... damn there were so many more interesting choices from SNK.

Oh well, I'm ecstatic with Joker, Hero, and most importantly, Banjo & Kazooie.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Terry looks friggin tall. He's probably the same height as Captain Falcon.

November ain't too far off. We may have not gotten 2 reveals (even though technically we did get Sans and Goemon lol), but the confirmation that there'll be more DLC characters coming is going to stop everyone getting salty over who gets in now right?

...right?

Himiko

Smash Apprentice
I had made peace with the fact Terry was getting in over his infinitely more interesting rivals from KoF (Nakoruru being chief among them)... until that reveal trailer. lol

It's a shame fighting game protagonists are almost always so dull. SF, KoF... hell even new series like ARMS. I get the reasoning is marketing, but when these series get their turn in Smash, it always results in the most bland characters getting the spotlight instead of the more unique characters, some of whom seriously upstage the main character. (ARMs for example)

I have a lot of respect for KoF, and Terry himself contrary to this post's tone. It's just... damn there were so many more interesting choices from SNK.

Oh well, I'm ecstatic with Joker, Hero, and most importantly, Banjo & Kazooie.
Lucky for you, at least you have characters in the fighter pass you actually like. I have no one.

zferolie

Smash Hero
That trailer for terry was funny, especially how geese died.

He looks cool, he still has his engrish which is nice.

Shadow drop banjo was a huge surprise. And I was totally expecting more smash characters. Knew it was gonna happen. His wording also makes it sound like more new series will become playable, and he is going all out it seems haha.

With Sans getting a Mii costume, now we just need am Indie fighter, and I really, REALLY think thats going to be Shantae.

Untouch

Smash Master
Terry looks sick, trailer went as I predicted too.
Feeling extremely confident in DOOMguy now.

KillerCage

Smash Master
Who's ready play Smash Bros with Megalovania in the background!?

I AM!

I'm so excited!

andree123

Smash Ace
Reminder....
To get the first 8 DLC fighters in the WOL, you have to awaken 80 fighters.
The rest has to be unlocked in a different way.

EDIT: This is a prediction, I forgot to put that in.
EDIT 2: I think I made a mistake on the amount of the first DLC fighters and awaken fighters.

Last edited:

Himiko

Smash Apprentice
Hey there is still character #5 and potentially even more afterwards with the character beyond the first pass!
Yeah yeah, my hype is just killed and my salt levels are high. I'm not very optimistic right now. I was never really an optimist anyway.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
My boi Goemon is a Mii costume and I'm so happy right now guys. You can't believe what I'm feeling right now. :cry:

Last edited:

Mr.Boo

Smash Cadet
Also, that demonstration was heartwarming. Hearing the laughter and Sakurai truly enjoying what he does. I love Nintendo.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Reminder....
To get the first 7 DLC fighters in the WOL, you have to awaken 70 fighters.
The rest has to be unlocked in a different way.
....oh

are you implying

...new area???

YES PLEASE

Nquoid

Smash Ace
I'm assuming when fighter #5 drops they'll detail how many more characters we get. But for now let's not make any assumptions about how many extra fighters there will be.

But almost all of speculation is back on the table! And with no work on extra modes...

Vycoul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vycoul
Lucky for you, at least you have characters in the fighter pass you actually like. I have no one.
That's rough, sorry to hear it. The past two Smash games have been more than amazing for me. Ultimate in particular. (Banjo & Kazooie are my most wanted of all time, and K. Rool was #2)

Luckily, more characters past the final Fighter's Pass one are on the way. Who are you hoping to see?

blackghost

Smash Champion
just gonna say it dante is officially on the switch now.
also i was watching maximillain's stream and he was talking about how much sakurai loves these old fighting games. he used to play sf 2 and vf2 in arcades all the time.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Steve still has a shot for pass 2, as well as Geno, Porky, and maybe assist trophy characters.

Let's-a go. Banjo, Kazooie, and Sans can hold me over 'til then.

Hidan

Smash Apprentice
Sakurai made it sound like future dlc would only be from new unrepresented series. Maybe it was just odd word choice but that makes future predictions a bit easier (and vaster at the same time).

I made a post this morning about wanting an Undertale rep for their music, this is the best compromise I could think of. Amazing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom