• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Jojo Phantasma

The Chessmaster
Man I really hope the tag team option happens with Terry/Kyo/Nakoruru you get to rep Fatal Fury, KoF and Samurai Shodown and I'm sure this outcome will please most people.

RcS735

Smash Cadet
The only negative to a tag team I can see is no girl terry. But that is a very minor problem.

SKX31

Smash Master
Sakurai has been doing an outstanding job w/ Ultimate in distinguishing each character from one another. I fully admit that I was not pumped about Hero being another Robin/Link, but Sakurai made me eat my words as Hero is something entirely new to Smash (that I love to play as).

Especially due to these "female fighting game character" and "flying weapon" leaks from earlier, somethings leading me to believe that Terry's getting some back up in his move set.
That's not something I'll dispute. I'm saying that with 75 characters already in the game.

Do I have faith in Sakurai? Yes. That he managed to rework Joker into something more than a Sheik / Greninja-esque character (while using Cloud as base for Joker's model) is proof of his and Sora Ltd. / Bamco's skills as developers. Still, Joker's somewhat similar to them (but only without Arsene granted). Keyword being somewhat.

I'm also saying that since I suspect that there would be some similarities between lets say Doomguy and Master Chief. Of course, I know they're going to play differently in that hypotheoretical scenario - I'm saying that they're going to share some, but not all traits. And it's going to be more and more difficult to create something truly unique when the character count reaches lets say 100.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Well ****.
Now my hopes have been risen for a tag team fighter. I know deep down it probably won't happen but boy do I wish it would happen.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I don't think a tag team or trio mechanic would be added, I think it's too much work, but I expect something different for Terry. Maybe it's an unpopular opinion but I would prefer only Terry Bogard with a really cool moveset and all that before a tag team mechanic that yeah, at first sounds great, but maybe it isn't well executed. 3 characters on one is more work, if that happens I would expect basic movesets for each one of the members (the team making the DLC is smaller)-

Also I don't get the "another basic fighting character" with Terry, when we only have 2...? While there's some archetypes unexplored in Smash, Ultimate has a 70+ character roster so it's normal to see similar archetypes repeated.

2B is one of my dream picks as seen by my sig. To get three dream picks in one pass, all of which I thought were impossible, would be insane to me. I truly would never ask for anything ever again.
2B would be really cool, I really liked Nier Automata, one of my games of this generation. I don't think she has chances for this fighter pass with Hero and all that, but I also didn't expect Joker and his announcement blown me away.

Aside from her my top picks for third party are Dante, Leon/Jill (I would choose Leon if I have to) and Crash.

Himiko

Smash Apprentice
Hmm...
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Thoughts? or as Twitter says, sco pa tu manaa
I keep getting the undeniable impression that Sabi doesn't actually know anything.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Honestly if the character is one who "Already appeared" I'm just hoping it's the Prince of All Cosmos, since he's appeard in Pac Man's taunt and has no genre or aesthetics overlap with anyone on the pass. Furthermore he has no Spirit or potentially returning Mii costume to worry about. Plus Chrom's in two places and the taunt's not stopping Heihachi speculation, so what's stopping the Prince?

If we end up with a Capcom character or one to appeal to the female demographic, I'm honestly hoping for Phoenix Wright, since his Nintendo representation is phenomenal, he has no genre overlap, and people have wanted him for a long time.

Last edited:

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
I keep getting the undeniable impression that Sabi doesn't actually know anything.
Sabi knows that Terry Bogard is deff coming for Smash. She hasn't heard about a tag team mechanic, but can't deny it at this time.

Vergeben heard Erdrick was in, but didnt hear about the Hero alts. IE: we don't know everything yet.

There have been leaks about "female fighting characters" and "flying weapons". We just gotta see what happens...

D

Deleted member

Sabi does know stuff, since I say them leaking entire E3 conferences without something missing, and they did so again for Gamescom.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
The final fighter on the pass is actually Master Hand.
I wish... :c

at least give us a stand-alone mode of that part with Master Hand, like UMvC3’s Galactus Mode. Maybe even add in 2P co-op with a controllable Crazy Hand

cothero

Smash Lord
A fighting game with 15 games in its series, not counting spin offs, the fatle fury games before it, and all the crossovers, is an Obscure game?

Listen kid, you really need to grow up and stop being so angry about this.
Plus,Terry has been in more games than Ryu.

Ryu:

Street Fighter
Street Fighter 2 (not counting all the various versions)
Street Fighter 3
Street Fighter 4
Street Fighter 5
Street Fighter Alpha
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Street Fighter EX
Street Fighter EX2
Street Fighter EX3
Street Fighter vs. X-Men
Marvel vs. Capcom
Marvel vs. Capcom 2
Marvel vs. Capcom 3
Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite
SNK vs. Capcom
SNK vs. Capcom Chaos
Capcom vs. SNK
Capcom vs. SNK 2
Capcom Fighting Evolution
Street Fighter X Tekken
Super Smash Bros 4
Super Smash Bros Ultimate
Street Fighter: The Movie
Namco vs. Capcom
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom
Project X Zone
Project X Zone 2

(29)

Terry Bogard:

King of Fighters '94
King of Fighters '95
King of Fighters '96
King of Fighters '97
King of Fighters '98
King of Fighters '99
King of Fighters 2000
King of Fighters 2001
King of Fighters 2002
King of Fighters 2003
King of Fighters XI
King of Fighters XII
King of Fighters XIII
King of Fighters XIV
King of Fighters Maximum Impact
King of Fighters Maximum Impact 2
Fatal Fury
Fatal Fury 2
Fatal Fury 3
Real Bout Fatal Fury
Real Bout Fatal Fury 2
Fatal Fury: Wild Ambition
Fatal Fury 1st Contact
Garou: Mark of the Wolves
Fighting EX Layer
SNK Heroines: Tag Team Frenzy
Capcom vs. SNK
Capcom vs. SNK 2
SNK vs. Capcom
NeoGeo Battle Coliseum
NeoGeo Heroes: Ultimate Shooting

(32)

Himiko

Smash Apprentice
Sabi does know stuff, since I say them leaking entire E3 conferences without something missing, and they did so again for Gamescom.
The way she talks about things makes it look like she's dancing around being vague and riding the waves of the general community consensus. Besides, if these leakers were legit, then why didn't they mention anything about SNK before Nintendo accidentally leaked that detail themselves?

KatKit

Smash Lord
I know it's a spin-off, but Super Puzzle Fighter should probably be counted. But yes, Terry has been in a boatload of fighting games.

Seeing people comparing Terry to Captain Falcon amuses me, LOL.
Personally, I've done it because we don't have any character quite like Terry in Smash, and (despite lacking a projectile) Captain Falcon is a decent enough reference for those who are unfamiliar with him. I think more so than even Ryu and Ken.

Anyways, this tag rumour intrigues me. Credible or not, I try to avoid what leakers say for Smash, though.

Last edited:

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
Terry Bogard:

King of Fighters '94
King of Fighters '95
King of Fighters '96
King of Fighters '97
King of Fighters '98
King of Fighters '99
King of Fighters 2000
King of Fighters 2001
King of Fighters 2002
King of Fighters 2003
King of Fighters XI
King of Fighters XII
King of Fighters XIII
King of Fighters XIV
Fatal Fury
Fatal Fury 2
Fatal Fury 3
Real Bout Fatal Fury
Real Bout Fatal Fury 2
Fatal Fury 1st Contact
Fighting EX Layer
Capcom vs. SNK
Capcom vs. SNK 2
SNK vs. Capcom
NeoGeo Battle Coliseum

(32)

If I were to download one King of Fighters game off the Eshop, which one is the best? Any w/ online vs mode?

Nquoid

Smash Ace
Journalists have probably already seen the direct so they can have news stories written. Which is when we normally get the leaks.

I'd be shocked if something so huge remained hidden from us sadly

Although I'd be so happy.

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
To sum up why people get disappointed, it is typically when Nintendo adds characters that are not discussed by fans on Smash fansite, YouTube, etc. I have noticed this trend. I didn't see many people outside of maybe Steve fans complain about Banjo and No one complained about KRool or Ridley. Terry is obscure off the fact that he wasn't even discussed as a wanted character on any Smash message board

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
To sum up why people get disappointed, it is typically when Nintendo adds characters that are not discussed by fans on Smash fansite, YouTube, etc. I have noticed this trend. I didn't see many people outside of maybe Steve fans complain about Banjo and No one complained about KRool or Ridley. Terry is obscure off the fact that he wasn't even discussed as a wanted character on any Smash message board
Naaah fam the real reason is because this always happens when it's not a specific character on Smash sites. I've seen WAAAAAAAAY more people excited at Terry's addition than people against it. Plus, people on this site DID want him as seen by posts before last week

Playstation Guy 1000

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't be surprise if fighters pass character 4 wasn't a SNK rep(as much as I like to see a character from that company if that happens).

D

Deleted member

Hmm...

Thoughts? or as Twitter says, sco pa tu manaa
Plot Twist:

The Terry tag team is real but he's tagging with Ryu Hayabusa and Tracer.

ze9

Smash Ace
All the leakers are gonna look like clowns when Marco from Metal Slug enters the scene.

SKX31

Smash Master
(EDIT: Gah... sorry about that. While I did edit this post, I'll admit the original... well, wasn't exactly how I intended it to be. I'll shoulder that responsibility still.)

Seeing is believing huh? Those that don't like K. Rool or Ridley don't tend to frequent Smash fan places. Regardless of whether we're talkin' bout America or Iran.

While mobile titles for phones and tablets are the most accessible and popular games in Iran, there are still dedicated players on PlayStation 4 and, to a lesser extent, PC. At the bottom of the Iranian gaming hierarchy, just beyond Xbox, sits Nintendo. The Japanese gaming giant known for their colorful and kid-friendly titles is largely ignored and often mocked by the majority of Iran’s “hardcore” gaming fans, according to players I spoke with for my previous story.

“I could say one of the worst things about gaming in Iran are the ‘hardcore’ gamers,” Nintendo Iran member Aryo Abdali told me in a prior interview for that article. “I can’t even have a good talk with them. They dismiss me and tell me I don’t have any good information on games. They’re very opinionated.”
Where have we heard those complaints from before...

As the night wore on, more cafe patrons who hadn’t shown up specifically for the event were swept into the multiplayer madness that is Smash Bros. But of course, old prejudices die hard. Nintendo Iran members told me that some onlookers said they would only try if they could pick a more mature fighter from a third-party developer, such as special ops soldier Snake or sexy hair witch Bayonetta. “I did hear negative comments coming from some people who have never played the game,” Nintendo Iran member Abdali told Kotaku. “They were saying how crazy and childish the game was compared to Mortal Kombat or Tekken, but they took a chance to play the game, and it seemed like they were having fun.”

Last edited:

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
TBH, I've always sort of felt like the Smash community has a tendency to over inflate the negativity, or "controversies" within itself. It's been interesting reading through some of the recent pages here seeing people complain about negativity towards Terry, but a vast majority of the post are positive in nature and usually get more likes than the naysayers. Even on places like Reddit & YouTube the majority of stuff I've seen is overwhelmingly positive, but for some reason this community has somehow managed to spin the opinions of a minority into a massive problem.

A majority of these post read like: "Lol. I saw a post on reddit with -26 downvotes saying that Terry would be a clone of Peach beacuse they both have blonde hair, and therefore shouldn't get in. OMG this community sucks."

Senatiator

Smash Apprentice
Plus,Terry has been in more games than Ryu.

Ryu:

Street Fighter
Street Fighter 2 (not counting all the various versions)
Street Fighter 3
Street Fighter 4
Street Fighter 5
Street Fighter Alpha
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Street Fighter EX
Street Fighter EX2
Street Fighter EX3
Street Fighter vs. X-Men
Marvel vs. Capcom
Marvel vs. Capcom 2
Marvel vs. Capcom 3
Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite
SNK vs. Capcom
SNK vs. Capcom Chaos
Capcom vs. SNK
Capcom vs. SNK 2
Capcom Fighting Evolution
Street Fighter X Tekken
Super Smash Bros 4
Street Fighter: The Movie
Namco vs. Capcom
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom
Project X Zone
Project X Zone 2

(29)

Terry Bogard:

King of Fighters '94
King of Fighters '95
King of Fighters '96
King of Fighters '97
King of Fighters '98
King of Fighters '99
King of Fighters 2000
King of Fighters 2001
King of Fighters 2002
King of Fighters 2003
King of Fighters XI
King of Fighters XII
King of Fighters XIII
King of Fighters XIV
Fatal Fury
Fatal Fury 2
Fatal Fury 3
Real Bout Fatal Fury
Real Bout Fatal Fury 2
Fatal Fury 1st Contact
Fighting EX Layer
Capcom vs. SNK
Capcom vs. SNK 2
SNK vs. Capcom
NeoGeo Battle Coliseum

(32)
R.I.P Asura's Wrath.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
I am 90% certain we’re getting an SNK tag team. Probably Terry, Kyo and Nakoruru.
The evidence is piling up.

Himiko

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't mind a tag team if it has a character I like. Would prefer a solo female, but can't really ask for more than a tag team, especially given the Terry situation.

SKX31

Smash Master
I am 90% certain we’re getting an SNK tag team. Probably Terry, Kyo and Nakoruru.
The evidence is piling up.
Now that turnaround would be epic. Going from almost bankrupt to getting effectively three characters in Smash. In 4 years.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
For the record I advice we don't assume there really is a tag mechanic, cause we really don't need people to set their expectations high just because "I love being vague as ****" Sabi who wouldn't even bother giving a clear answer until Verge said it was Terry said it might happen. This is the same person who faked a C&D after all

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Reporting for duty!

Although I'm also hoping Sakurai (shoot... or even his daughter lol) is a Style Savvy fan. Considering he plays countless games, and considering that Style Savvy has a suspicious amount of songs in Smash for a series with no playable reps, stages, or even items, it's possible. I think he's slowly trying to introduce it to people to lessen the inevitable backlash for when she becomes playable.
Well, I can dream...my most-wanted first party by far!

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I don’t want to get my hopes up tbh.

What I want: A Tag-Team 3-in-1 character where it works like a “forced 3-character-squad strike” character.

What I really expect: A vanilla Terry port, with Ryu/Ken face forward mechanics, and a Super Bar.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Seeing people comparing Terry to Captain Falcon amuses me, LOL.
I mean in fairness, I'd say it's at least closer than Ken. :p Explosive punches and all.

Still wildly different imo, but closer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom