• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Sorry to interrupt the hype train (still binge watchibg as much SNK content on YouTube to celebrate), but what time will the Direct be for the Philippines?

If it's tomorrow then I couldn't join you guys in the hype of the moment

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
As someone who hasn’t played KOF games, I’ve been wondering can you mix and match characters from different teams or are characters fixed to their specific team only?
King of Fighters 94 (the first game) had fixed teams, but afterwards, you could mix and match whichever characters you wanted to. (though only certain teams got arcade mode endings - usually the specific teams that each character is a part of, or some others where characters have story or thematic ties to each other)

EDIT: I meant that '94 had fixed teams, not mixed teams. That makes a big difference.

Last edited:

zferolie

Smash Hero
As someone who hasn’t played KOF games, I’ve been wondering can you mix and match characters from different teams or are characters fixed to their specific team only?
Pretty sure you can mix anyone with anyone. Those teams are just the canon story teams

StormC

Smash Hero
Sorry to interrupt the hype train (still binge watchibg as much SNK content on YouTube to celebrate), but what time will the Direct be for the Philippines?

If it's tomorrow then I couldn't join you guys in the hype of the moment
3 PM PST in the US so you’d have to calculate from there.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I figured I'd post my own two cents.

People often say history repeats itself, and I can't help but feel that applies all too well here. For the people who weren't posting on this site during the Smash 4 DLC era, let me tell you a story. Basically, in early April of 2015, when Lucas was announced, the Fighter Ballot was opened, and Mewtwo was released, the famous "Royu" datamine took place. Data was found in the Mewtwo update that spoiled two then-unannounced DLC characters, the veteran Roy, and the newcomer, Ryu from Street Fighter.

Now keep in mind, this was a whole two months before these characters would release. And right off the bat, let me tell you...Ryu got QUITE a bit of hate.

I was shocked. At the time, two characters from the same third party company was unheard of. Many thought it would never happen. But man, was I excited. Ryu is such an iconic character, I thought, and Street Fighter is the definitive fighting game franchise. So to go and see people immediately getting pissed at Ryu was pretty disheartening. Many would say he "wasn't 'Nintendo' enough" and that "fighting game characters shouldn't be in Smash" and so on and so forth. But what always stuck out the most to me was this, which cropped up all too often.

"Ryu would be too similar to Mario. He's a wasted slot."

Yes, you read that correctly. People would point to the Hadouken and say it was no different from Mario's Fire Ball. They'd point at the ever-iconic Shoryuken and say it was just another Super Jump Punch. They'd look at Tatsumaki Senpukyaku and claim it was exactly like Mario Tornado, which Mario didn't even have anymore. They'd say that, like Mario, Ryu would just have a bunch of punches and kicks.

It really opened my eyes to how myopic and antagonistic the community could be toward choices that they, themselves, didn't consider to be "worthy" of a spot on the roster. Here was Ryu, a legendary character who, to this day, I would only say is less iconic than Pac-Man and Sonic when it comes to Smash's third party roster, being lambasted for being too derivative of Mario. And the kicker, most of these people never so much as touched a game with Ryu in it, never mind a Street Fighter game.

And then, once Ryu was revealed, people came around on him. He was very distinct from every other character on the roster, he brought a gorgeous new stage with Suzaku Castle, and he brought two awesome remixes. And he was fun as hell, being a true combo-oriented character with actual Street Fighter command inputs, even having his Street Fighter IV Focus Attack to round out his specials, and even two Final Smashes. In my eyes, he was the single greatest DLC newcomer Smash ever had, Ultimate included. But not two months earlier, some people were so vehemently against his inclusion and all it stood for.

And it all just reminds me so much of what's happening now with Terry Bogard. Now, all cards on the table, I've never played a fighting game from SNK. While the company was always in the back of my mind, it just sort of flew under my personal radar. It happens. But I recognize what Terry means to so many, and honestly the Power Wave alone justifies him as a fun choice in my mind. Maybe I'm easy to please, but come on. That's a cool move. And the geyser version? Even cooler.

Of course, that's not to say you have to be excited for Terry. There are definitely some choices that, while I wouldn't hate them, they'd do nothing for me excitement-wise. However, I recognize their significance and I'd be happy for those who do want them. For example, Doom Slayer and Bandana Waddle Dee. Personally, they do nothing for me. I think they're kind of boring, and they're just not my type of characters. However, I absolutely recognize the merits of both of them and, funny enough, they're both characters that my younger brother would love to see (funny how that works, lol), so I'd be a-okay with their inclusion. And who knows, maybe they'd even be really fun to play.

I just think we should wait until at least Terry's trailer to pass judgment, just to avoid being hasty. I'm definitely not trying to police opinions, mind you, but I'm just giving my view of things.

zferolie

Smash Hero

People often say history repeats itself, and I can't help but feel that applies all too well here. For the people who weren't posting on this site during the Smash 4 DLC era, let me tell you a story. Basically, in early April of 2015, when Lucas was announced, the Fighter Ballot was opened, and Mewtwo was released, the famous "Royu" datamine took place. Data was found in the Mewtwo update that spoiled two then-unannounced DLC characters, the veteran Roy, and the newcomer, Ryu from Street Fighter.

Now keep in mind, this was a whole two months before these characters would release. And right off the bat, let me tell you...Ryu got QUITE a bit of hate.

I was shocked. At the time, two characters from the same third party company was unheard of. Many thought it would never happen. But man, was I excited. Ryu is such an iconic character, I thought, and Street Fighter is the definitive fighting game franchise. So to go and see people immediately getting pissed at Ryu was pretty disheartening. Many would say he "wasn't 'Nintendo' enough" and that "fighting game characters shouldn't be in Smash" and so on and so forth. But what always stuck out the most to me was this, which cropped up all too often.

Yes, you read that correctly. People would point to the Hadouken and say it was no different from Mario's Fire Ball. They'd point at the ever-iconic Shoryuken and say it was just another Super Jump Punch. They'd look at Tatsumaki Senpukyaku and claim it was exactly like Mario Tornado, which Mario didn't even have anymore. They'd say that, like Mario, Ryu would just have a bunch of punches and kicks.

It really opened my eyes to how myopic and antagonistic the community could be toward choices that they, themselves, didn't consider to be "worthy" of a spot on the roster. Here was Ryu, a legendary character who, to this day, I would only say is less iconic than Pac-Man and Sonic when it comes to Smash's third party roster, being lambasted for being too derivative of Mario. And the kicker, most of these people never so much as touched a game with Ryu in it, never mind a Street Fighter game.

And then, once Ryu was revealed, people came around on him. He was very distinct from every other character on the roster, he brought a gorgeous new stage with Suzaku Castle, and he brought two awesome remixes. And he was fun as hell, being a true combo-oriented character with actual Street Fighter command inputs, even having his Street Fighter IV Focus Attack to round out his specials, and even two Final Smashes. In my eyes, he was the single greatest DLC newcomer Smash ever had, Ultimate included. But not two months earlier, some people were so vehemently against his inclusion and all it stood for.

And it all just reminds me so much of what's happening now with Terry Bogard. Now, all cards on the table, I've never played a fighting game from SNK. While the company was always in the back of my mind, it just sort of flew under my personal radar. It happens. But I recognize what Terry means to so many, and honestly the Power Wave alone justifies him as a fun choice in my mind. Maybe I'm easy to please, but come on. That's a cool move. And the geyser version? Even cooler.

Of course, that's not to say you have to be excited for Terry. There are definitely some choices that, while I wouldn't hate them, they'd do nothing for me excitement-wise. However, I recognize their significance and I'd be happy for those who do want them. For example, Doom Slayer and Bandana Waddle Dee. Personally, they do nothing for me. I think they're kind of boring, and they're just not my type of characters. However, I absolutely recognize the merits of both of them and, funny enough, they're both characters that my younger brother would love to see (funny how that works, lol), so I'd be a-okay with their inclusion. And who knows, maybe they'd even be really fun to play.

I just think we should wait until at least Terry's trailer to pass judgment, just to avoid being hasty. I'm definitely not trying to police opinions, mind you, but I'm just giving my view of things.
Really, ryu would be too similar to mario. Thats hilarious. Jesus

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Didn't know about the Ryu thing. People are just ****ing moronic.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion

Yeah thinking back on Ryu is what’s making me more open minded about Terry right now despite having no connection to him. I have faith Sakurai will make him interesting enough.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Well they are totally giving us the characters that no one wanted or cared about. By the way, for those that are saying Rayman isn't a good edition, I will state that he was higher in the ballot than anyone from SNK or these other companies.

I agree with some posters, this DLC pack has been mostly lame sauce. Banjo was the only real character that drove any hype and that people wanted.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289

This just shows that most smash fans aren't playing games lol

kylexv

Smash Master
I wish more people were like this. For me, having this mentality has made me like characters I never thought I would.

Case in point: Incineroar. He wasn't my Gen 7 Pokemon of choice, so, when he started getting rumored, I was disappointed. Over the months before he got revealed, though, I started warming up to him, and, when I eventually saw gameplay of him, he looked really cool. Heck, I've played as him quite a bit.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm confident in Sakurai and the Smash Development Team to make Terry stand out and bring something new to Smash while being fun at the same time. It's what makes reveals that should be disappointing to me less so.

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
I know its not likely, but I wish the last 2 were revealed tomorrow...
Just end this madness already Nintendo!

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
You're kidding me.

Ryu literally opened the door to characters like Bayonetta, Simon Belmont and more, represented one of the most iconic fighting franchises ever, and people were angry because people thought he, of all ****ing characters, would be a ****ing Mario clone.

Terry Bogard isn't Erdrick 2, he's Ryu 3. And considering the hate came from being leaked, he's more like Ryu 4 thanks to Incineroar. People attempted to use K. Rool's up throw as a reason Incineroar wouldn't be in because they were desperate for no Pokémon or Decidueye or Lycanroc.

And this is just sad. These are the same kinds of people who'd refute the idea that Banjo would've been a Duck Hunt clone, or K. Rool would be a Bowser clone. Yet they cannot extend that creativity and inspiration to characters new to them, which while somewhat understandable is heartbreaking. I hate to say it, but what other kind of fighting game community would bemoan a character for not seeming unique right of the bat? Or straight up, not being who they wanted?

volbound1700

Smash Master
I was disappointed about Joker. I got the character and I am still disappointed. Sorry to bust the bubble.

However, I did like the Stage Builder addition and the Knuckles/Tails Mii Costumes. So maybe we will get a good mode. I am honestly more excited about the modes than the characters. Sakurai should have just followed the ballot.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
If Terry is the only SNK rep, I assume that was mostly Sakurai's decision.
Yeah, which brings me to one guess that SNK wanted to include a different character in Smash such as Kyo (KoF protag), Nakoruru (the heroine of Samurai Shodown though not the main protag), or hell, Rugal (the original SNK boss if you are familiar with the term "SNK boss syndrome") but Sakurai veto'd those choices

I mean.... compare a cross into Smash to a cross into Fighting EX Layer. One is significantly more major than the other
This one is my other guess, it's possible SNK didn't have a lot of confidence in Terry's appearance in Fighting EX Layer so they decided to also have him show up in Smash.

This is all just conjecture and we will know if he's in following the direct, regardless of what any leaker says, credible or otherwise.

Last edited:

Himiko

Smash Apprentice

It is literally impossible for me to be even remotely excited or interested in Terry’s inclusion to Smash, especially since he’s taking the spot away from Nakoruru, who I believe would be much better. Good for Terry fans I suppose, but it is very disappointing the entire first fighter pass might not have a single character I even remotely like and want to use.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

I notice you failed to mention when Ryu takes out his cape and reflects projectiles. Checkmate.

But yeah, people forget how characters were received before they were revealed. With how people talk you'd think the opinion was like "gosh I sure do wish that Cloud Strife guy would hurry up and join Smash already". That's why I'm getting my "idk about this Terry fella" out now before everyone is gonna yell at me for it. :3

I still don't much care for Ryu's inclusion (not for any of those nonsense or uneducated reasons, he just sticks out to me) so it figures you'd like him. The only one I was less a fan of was Corrin, and you probably like him too. :p

You're kidding me.

Ryu literally opened the door to characters like Bayonetta, Simon Belmont and more, represented one of the most iconic fighting franchises ever, and people were angry because people thought he, of all ****ing characters, would be a ****ing Mario clone.

Terry Bogard isn't Erdrick 2, he's Ryu 3. And considering the hate came from being leaked, he's more like Ryu 4 thanks to Incineroar. People attempted to use K. Rool's up throw as a reason Incineroar wouldn't be in because they were desperate for no Pokémon or Decidueye or Lycanroc.

And this is just sad. These are the same kinds of people who'd refute the idea that Banjo would've been a Duck Hunt clone, or K. Rool would be a Bowser clone. Yet they cannot extend that creativity and inspiration to characters new to them, which while somewhat understandable is heartbreaking. I hate to say it, but what other kind of fighting game community would bemoan a character for not seeming unique right of the bat? Or straight up, not being who they wanted?
Fwiw it was more that people didn't think traditional fighting game characters belonged in Smash than the belief he'd be some Mario knock-off. That was not an opinion held by a great deal of people. It's just very dumb, and therefore memorable. ;P

cothero

Smash Lord
Yeah having 3 characters in 1 is way too resource intensive and wouldn’t work for DLC. Perhaps there could be a middle ground with the “team” mechanic , I’ve noticed that in the old KOF games you have your teammates rooting for you in the background as you fight and they occasionally jump into assist you in the fight.

What if instead of being fully fledged playable characters, Andy and Joe are characters that hang out in the background, kind of like how Squitle, Ivysaur, and Charizard have Pokémon Trainer in the background, but unlike Pokémon Trainer, Andy and Joe would not be purely cosmetic. Instead maybe Terry can “summon” his teammates to jump forward and do an attack with some of his special moves, that way his moveset showcases the “team” aspect of KOF without having to make 3 full characters. Just spitballing ideas, it probably has flaws.

It might not be a perfect representation of KOF’s team mechanics, but it could make Terry a pretty interesting fighter.
Oh, i see. That would be nice!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
King of Fighters 94 (the first game) had fixed teams, but afterwards, you could mix and match whichever characters you wanted to. (though only certain teams got arcade mode endings - usually the specific teams that each character is a part of, or some others where characters have story or thematic ties to each other)

EDIT: I meant that '94 had fixed teams, not mixed teams. That makes a big difference.
Maybe in Smash, the King of Fighters character could be a fixed team like in KOF94 with Terry Bogard, Nakoruru, and Kyo Kusanagi. 3 characters in one but they can’t switch like Pokémon Trainer does. They switch like everyone else do in the Squad Strike mode.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I notice you failed to mention when Ryu takes out his cape and reflects projectiles. Checkmate.

But yeah, people forget how characters were received before they were revealed. With how people talk you'd think the opinion was like "gosh I sure do wish that Cloud Strife guy would hurry up and join Smash already". That's why I'm getting my "idk about this Terry fella" out now before everyone is gonna yell at me for it. :3

I still don't much care for Ryu's inclusion (not for any of those nonsense or uneducated reasons, he just sticks out to me) so it figures you'd like him. The only one I was less a fan of was Corrin, and you probably like him too. :p

Fwiw it was more that people didn't think traditional fighting game characters belonged in Smash than the belief he'd be some Mario knock-off. That was not an opinion held by a great deal of people. It's just very dumb, and therefore memorable. ;P
I think most people liked Ryu including me but you hit the nail on the head. Most people didn't want the mature fighting series preferring more platform characters like Sonic, Megaman, and Pacman (or Mario, Kirby, Donkey Kong, etc.). I won't lie, I have a bias towards these series. You can look at my most wanted characters and see that (Crash, Rayman, Banjo, Dixie Kong, etc.).

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787

At the time of Ryu and Roy getting leaked, I was more upset that they were leaked than anything else. I hate that leaks are basically unavoidable these days.

And really? People were saying he’d be like Mario? That’s just dumb.

With Terry it’s somewhat different. I know nothing about him, so it’s not like I have any room to say he’d be exactly like Ryu/Ken (though the video I saw doesn’t really make me hopeful). But at the same time, at least Mewtwo and Lucas had come before Ryu. So I had them to make things a bit better. I also knew who Ryu was and recognized his impact on gaming (along with that of Street Fighter).

This time around, however, no such thing exists. I know nothing about Terry or KoF/FF, so while I’m sure they have their place in gaming history, I can’t really say they excite me. There’s also no character that’s already been announced/released in the pass so far that can, for lack of a better term, “hold me over”, for another character I might enjoy. This makes the addition of more characters I don’t really know/care about (Terry in this instance) taste even worse.

Akiak

Smash Ace
As many others I got quite excited at the idea of Nakoruru despite not knowing the character beforehand, and was pretty disappointed to hear all the most prominent leakers suggest Terry.
I'll try to keep an open mind though. A tag-team :ultpokemontrainer:-like character would be actually amazing.

I think if it really is Terry, then what it probably comes down to is SNK not wanting their one and only slot to be taken by a less prominent character, even at the cost of a less interesting moveset.

Now Ryu (Hayabusa) on the other hand.....

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario

People hated Ryu? Are you serious? I was here for that period and I’m gonna be honest, I feel like you are overblowing for Ryu’s hate.

As far as I remember, people were pretty excited for him and the general opinion was positive. It kinda sounds like you’re generalizing based on a few posts you’ve seen.

I personally thought the reception towards Ryu was overall positive. But to your point about "not Nintendo enough":

I don't think it's fair to compare that point in smash speculation to this point in time. I think back then there was a lot of animosity towards third parties in general. A lot of people celebrated Snake's cut because MGS wasn't "Nintendo" enough. They only wanted third parties related Nintendo. Now however, times are different. ****ing Doomslayer and Crash Bandicoot, characters you wouldn't really associate with Nintendo, are dominating the speculation scene. People have warmed up to third party characters now.
Your whole Mario comparison seems overblown to me. It just sounds like a generalization based on a few people saying that. And I guarantee you that those who said it got **** on. Ryu = Mario wasn't anywhere near to the level that "Hat Ken" is right now. Honestly, not the same situation at all.

cothero

Smash Lord
I was disappointed about Joker. I got the character and I am still disappointed. Sorry to bust the bubble.

However, I did like the Stage Builder addition and the Knuckles/Tails Mii Costumes. So maybe we will get a good mode. I am honestly more excited about the modes than the characters. Sakurai should have just followed the ballot.
You and me both. Terry is the first character in the fighter pass that's hyping me up, so that will make me play smash again when he'll be released.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think most people liked Ryu including me but you hit the nail on the head. Most people didn't want the mature fighting series preferring more platform characters like Sonic, Megaman, and Pacman (or Mario, Kirby, Donkey Kong, etc.). I won't lie, I have a bias towards these series. You can look at my most wanted characters and see that (Crash, Rayman, Banjo, Dixie Kong, etc.).
Well also there was this:
https://nintendoeverything.com/why-sakurai-isnt-keen-on-adding-fighting-characters-to-smash-bros/

Which shaped a lot of thought towards fighting game characters in Smash.

It's just kinda funny how one day everyone can agree with you and then the next day, Smash goes in an unanticipated route and you'll be cast as a pariah should all you do be fail to change your opinion. It's a little raving mobbish, but at least it's also dispelled some truly crackpot theories.

StormC

Smash Hero
There is a part of me that feels you give the Smash fanbase an inch and they take a mile.

I’m all for fan favorite characters getting in, obviously. And I get being disappointed when your favorite misses the cut. I’ve been there many times. But since it’s happened so many times, it makes me appreciate what I got. We just got Banjo God Damn Kazooie and people are mad because Terry isn’t what they wanted. Is it ever going to be enough? Will Smash fans complain until every top 50 character is in?

I’m not saying you have to like Terry or you can’t wish your favorite was in. I don’t even play SNK games. But at a certain point, I feel like we have to recognize that Sakurai went above and beyond to satisfy the fans with this game. You can’t say he ignored them. He can’t put in literally every character we all hope for.

I just think speculation would be a lot healthier if the mindset was more “dang, I was hoping for another character. Oh well, maybe next time” than “how could Sakurai betray me like this??? Why doesn’t this fit the theories I made up?”

This is an electronic toy where Mario can punch Pikachu. It’s not a political election. Also, don’t buy season passes unless you’re confident you will enjoy all the content, lol.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero

I went back pretty recently to see what Ryu's support thread was like in the Smash 4 days and I was genuinely shocked. The OP made this really nice post, and outside of a few supporters one of the first posts on the first page after the Royu leak was wishing the datamine was fake followed by PAGES of Ryu hate. It's just insane to me because Ryu was one of the hype DLC additions for me - I'm a HUGE Street Fighter fan and my friends even moreso. I remember him excitedly texting me saying how he is gonna buy the Amiibo day one (and he did).

It's so sad, man. I couldn't believe people would actually go to a character's support thread just to hate on them instead of congratulating supporters or being excited for the possibilities.

StormC

Smash Hero
People hated Ryu? Are you serious? I was here for that period and I’m gonna be honest, I feel like you are overblowing for Ryu’s hate.

As far as I remember, people were pretty excited for him and the general opinion was positive. It kinda sounds like you’re generalizing based on a few posts you’ve seen.

I personally thought the reception towards Ryu was overall positive. But to your point about "not Nintendo enough":

I don't think it's fair to compare that point in smash speculation to this point in time. I think back then there was a lot of animosity towards third parties in general. A lot of people celebrated Snake's cut because MGS wasn't "Nintendo" enough. They only wanted third parties related Nintendo. Now however, times are different. ****ing Doomslayer and Crash Bandicoot, characters you wouldn't really associate with Nintendo, are dominating the speculation scene. People have warmed up to third party characters now.
Your whole Mario comparison seems overblown to me. It just sounds like a generalization based on a few people saying that. And I guarantee you that those who said it got **** on. Ryu = Mario wasn't anywhere near to the level that "Hat Ken" is right now. Honestly, not the same situation at all.
Ryu got a ton of hate. Can confirm. People were especially mad he was being worked on before the ballot even started.

ZelDan

Smash Master
"The character would just be more pucnhes and kicks"

"just another sword user"

I'm sure if Doom guy were to be the one looking likely for DLC 5 and not Ryu, people would be going "just another gun user!" or "Just another character that shoots!"

Yeesh.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
"The character would just be more pucnhes and kicks"

"just another sword user"

I'm sure if Doom guy were to be the one looking likely for DLC 5 and not Ryu, people would be going "just another gun user!" or "Just another character that shoots!"

Yeesh.
We shouldn't get anyone because they'll be just another character.

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman
Well they are totally giving us the characters that no one wanted or cared about. By the way, for those that are saying Rayman isn't a good edition, I will state that he was higher in the ballot than anyone from SNK or these other companies.
Nobody has no proof of ballot results, what you're talking about is bandwagon reddit popularity polls.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
I wasn't HERE during the Ryu leaks but I was still around, and I remember most people more or less going "Oh **** it Ryu" as opposed to "God ****ing dammit I ****ing hate this". If anything he broke a lot of the rules that we consider silly nowadays like "You cant have more than 1 IP per 3rd party!" and "No fighting game characters in Smash!" and "You need to be on the most recent Street Fighter system!(yeah I know SF4 was on 3ds or something but the big focus in early 2015 was SF5, which is PC/PS4 exclusive. Vanilla SF5 even uses Ryu's Smash 4 render, funnily enough). Maybe its just because I like Capcom fighters but Ryu was my favorite DLC character from 4. If Terry plays kinda sorta like him I might like him too but dont have any idea who he is or what hes like in his games.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

There was much maligning. All the third party DLC last time was quite divisive. Just because by the time the reveal rolled around people had accepted it was happening doesn't mean there was no friction at any point.

You're right, times are different, back then it was very Nintendo-centric, and there were still holdouts on Snake until probably during the ballot era... but, while ambivalence maybe was higher, those that celebrated his absence were few and far between. Or at least, undoubtably the minority. Sakurai even noted how he tried to bring him back and failed during the ballot, due to demand.

Snake was, for a while, seen as one of the "big four" Smash 4 omissions, along with Ridley, K. Rool, and Isaac. Wolf would've been there too but people assumed he'd be back as DLC.

Ryu = Mario wasn't rampant, but Hat Ken isn't really that much of a thing right now either. It's not widely embraced. And even if it was, there'd be what? A single day of it? Two days? People knew about Ryu months before he was shown.

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
The only way to make Smashboards people happy would be to add the characters that have 500+ posts in their threads. The hype on here was insane for Ridley, KRool, and Banjo. Those three are the most popular adds to date.

Following that logic, if Sakurai had added Geno, Isaac, and Shantae instead of Joker, Hero (I do like Hero), and Terry, people on here would go nuts and would be praising the game. Also popular ballot picks like Rayman would be great.

If I could have picked my 5, they would have been the following:

1. Banjo - Hype and fan pleaser
2. Sora - Biggest hype generator and would bring in fans
3. Masterchief - This would bring a ton of Xbox fans to Smash, people that wouldn't normally buy the game like one of my friends, Ryan. Alternative is Doomguy but I think Masterchief would move the needle more.
4. Hero - I think the DQ add was appropriate and it was a Japanese franchise that is famous internationally
5. Geno - Major Fan Pleaser

This SHOULD have been Sakurai's 5 picks. It would have been highly popular with everyone and would have increased the sales of the game tremendously. I dare anyone to argue that this was the perfect 5 for the DLC pack.

Himiko

Smash Apprentice
There is a part of me that feels you give the Smash fanbase an inch and they take a mile.

I’m all for fan favorite characters getting in, obviously. And I get being disappointed when your favorite misses the cut. I’ve been there many times. But since it’s happened so many times, it makes me appreciate what I got. We just got Banjo God Damn Kazooie and people are mad because Terry isn’t what they wanted. Is it ever going to be enough? Will Smash fans complain until every top 50 character is in?

I’m not saying you have to like Terry or you can’t wish your favorite was in. I don’t even play SNK games. But at a certain point, I feel like we have to recognize that Sakurai went above and beyond to satisfy the fans with this game. You can’t say he ignored them. He can’t put in literally every character we all hope for.

I just think speculation would be a lot healthier if the mindset was more “dang, I was hoping for another character. Oh well, maybe next time” than “how could Sakurai betray me like this??? Why doesn’t this fit the theories I made up?”

This is an electronic toy where Mario can punch Pikachu. It’s not a political election. Also, don’t buy season passes unless you’re confident you will enjoy all the content, lol.
The problem is that I don’t like any of the dlc characters so far, at all. I’m being let down extremely hard this entire fighter pass, and for those that are like me, it’s not even possible to simply “appreciate what we got” when nothing we’ve got have appealed to us whatsoever.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
They only wanted third parties related Nintendo.
I still do. I prioritize them over other third party characters.

That’s why I wanted :ultmegaman::ultpacman::ultryu::ultsimon::ulthero: (I wanted Erdrick and Eight) and :ultbanjokazooie:.

:ultrichter: and :ultken: are just nice extra bonuses.

That’s why I want Terry Bogard, Scorpion and Sub-Zero, Ryu Hayabusa, Shantae, and so on.

zferolie

Smash Hero
The only way to make Smashboards people happy would be to add the characters that have 500+ posts in their threads. The hype on here was insane for Ridley, KRool, and Banjo. Those three are the most popular adds to date.

Following that logic, if Sakurai had added Geno, Isaac, and Shantae instead of Joker, Hero (I do like Hero), and Terry, people on here would go nuts and would be praising the game. Also popular ballot picks like Rayman would be great.

If I could have picked my 5, they would have been the following:

1. Banjo - Hype and fan pleaser
2. Sora - Biggest hype generator and would bring in fans
3. Masterchief - This would bring a ton of Xbox fans to Smash, people that wouldn't normally buy the game like one of my friends, Ryan. Alternative is Doomguy but I think Masterchief would move the needle more.
4. Hero - I think the DQ add was appropriate and it was a Japanese franchise that is famous internationally
5. Geno - Major Fan Pleaser

This SHOULD have been Sakurai's 5 picks. It would have been highly popular with everyone and would have increased the sales of the game tremendously. I dare anyone to argue that this was the perfect 5 for the DLC pack.
I can very easily argue against both Sora and Masterchief. For a game wanting to promote gaming as a whole, adding 3 SE characters and 2 microsoft characters is not the best idea. Plus master chief was never on a nintendo consol, nor does it look like, offically right now, there will be. Sora on the other hand probably has a bunch of disney arguments to make as well. Best to look at gaming as a whole, and not just what americans like.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I can very easily argue against both Sora and Masterchief. For a game wanting to promote gaming as a whole, adding 3 SE characters and 2 microsoft characters is not the best idea. Plus master chief was never on a nintendo consol, nor does it look like, offically right now, there will be. Sora on the other hand probably has a bunch of disney arguments to make as well. Best to look at gaming as a whole, and not just what americans like.
SNK and Persona haven't really been on Nintendo consoles so that argument fails. Also these characters are iconic even outside of the United States. However, the United States represents 60-70% of all video game sales so I would say it is a very IMPORTANT market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom