• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

toonito

Smash Ace
In the midst of all this anger I support Terry even more now lol

definitely my favorite character from this pass

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
So Terry is basically locked in now.

The big thing about the Terry/Ryu leak that catches my eye is the fact that they state that their trailers will be continuations of past trailers.

If Terry's trailer is the Ken/Incineroar trailer, then I think its safe to assume that Ryu is a lock.

If Terry's trailer is something totally new.....

idk man, terry's trailer being a continuation of ken's is a no brainer and would happen regardless of who else is the final DLC fighter.

D

Deleted member

This is completely untrue. I'd never heard of Nakoruru till the other day. But the idea of her seemed novel enough where I was very open to the idea of a new and interesting fighter with some unique mechanics that they bring to the table. There wasn't a character I wanted, and if there was it certainly wasn't Nakoruru. But I am able to look at the basic idea of the character, and welcome something unique and unexpected.
Well yes, ofc Japanese Pocahontas would be more interesting than Terry. I said it myself. Just like Mai who’s a Kunoichi in a modern world. Terry is basic by design. But the mistake people are making is assuming basic = boring, when that’s not the case at all. It’s just an excuse you’re latching onto cause you didn’t get what you wanted. The point I’m making is that you should be more open minded to what the character offers in order to quell your salt. There’s tons of media with Terry in it already out there for you to consume.

Terry and SNK both have a legacy, and history in gaming, bringing with them tons of content content such as OVAs, Games, Manga, and so on and on... part of the opportunity Smash brings to people, is the chance to learn about things they might have otherwise not known about.

In the case of Terry, it’s not just his game, but you’ve also got the Fatal Fury OVAs, Manga, and tons of other media from the 90s to learn who he is. You could read up on SNK and their legacy to learn why they’re so important to the industry, you could learn about the impact SNK fighting games like Fatal Fury, KoF, Samurai Shodown, and Last Blade have had on the genre, and how they distinguished themselves. You could watch the SamSho OVAs. List goes on... characters like Tracer or Steve really wouldn’t have brought anything like that with them because they don’t really have HISTORY in gaming. The comparison isn’t really the same. It’s the legacy of SNK and the rich history they have that makes it worthwhile to bring them on board.

My point was that instead of complaining that they got someone they’d never heard about over whatever they might have wanted, they could take the chance to learn more about said character and the legacy they bring with them. Because ALL 5 DLC characters bring that. Joker for SMT and Atlus, Hero for Dragon Quest and Enix, Banjo for Rareware, Terry for SNK, Hayabusa for Ninja Gaiden and Koei Temco.

It’s easy to label something as boring because you’re ignorant about it. I could have just as easily said Marth was boring cause he was just a guy with a sword and boring basic sword moves in a game where characters shoot fireballs and eat each other, I mean “we already have Link on the roster? Do we really need another guy with a sword?” But instead he became my main in Melee, and introduced me and many others to Fire Emblem.

Had we gotten another Corrin-tier pick, you’d never have gotten a chance to learn about the history and legacy of a company important to gaming. Take that as an opportunity instead of complaining.

With Terry there is just nothing there. that I didn't already have on the roster. Which is evident since till now no one has come forward with a single thing that would actually make Terry distinct.
There’s tons of stuff there, you just haven’t bothered to look into it. Terry has been a meme on the internet for as far back as I can remember for his “can do” positive attitude combined with his funny Engrish catch-phrases.

ARE YOU OKAY?!
C’MON GET SERIOUS!!
HEY C’Mon C’mon!

That’s literally how I got introduced to the character. Internet meme culture, not his games as I didn’t even grow up knowing the Neo Geo was even a thing.

First of all, this goes right back to my point. Terry is only appealing to people who he's already won over from his games. People who already like Terry Bogard because they are fans of him from KoF, and thus have already been charmed by his personality and catchphrases. But if you aren't fro that minority of people, Terry is just a generic fighting game guy. He's not interesting

I could probably count on two hands the number of times I’ve played Fatal Fury and KoF. Yet I’ve always thought Terry was cool given his design. He stands out significantly from other fighting game protags cause he’s just some buff American dude in jeans with a trucker hat. What’s not to like? And how is that “generic?” In a sea of “karate guy in gi” there’s literally no one else like Terry Bogard. That’s literally why the SNK cast stands out, they’re all way more fashionable. So much so in fact, as I stated before, KoF sparked a fashion trend in Hong Kong in the 90s.

Idk about all of his "deserving" talk. It's usually just an excuse for people to pick the criteria they care about and ignore the criteria they don't. Some of those characters are indeed more iconic than Terry Bogard though. Also there is the question of repesenting different genres, which Terry does not do.
You don’t need to “represent a genre” to be deserving of anything. You’re setting baseless criteria on an asinine and pointless desire to see a variety of genres covered in Smash.

Terry is more deserving because his legacy, and the impact SNK have had on the indstry is GREATER than that of the other characters I’ve mentioned. People who don’t acknowledge this fact are ignorant of it, and that’s fine. I urge those people however to learn about this. That’s literally the opportunity Terry bring forward.

The problem with this is that there are much bigger gaming icons that aren't boring and redundant.
I challenge you to name someone more important. Unless your name is Doomguy, you really don’t have anyone who’s bigger or more important.

Just cause you have no regard or respect for fighting games doesn’t mean it’s redundant. To frame it into context. Without Terry, SNK, or all of the games he’s been in, you wouldn’t have Smash Bros considering how heavily Smash borrows from SNK fighting games.

Concepts like rolling, dodging, short hops, ring outs, and even the Smash invitation letter, just to name a few were born in games like Fatal Fury and King of Fighters.

That’s how significant it is to gaming, and clearly, to Masahiro Sakurai himself. You should take a moment to appreciate that rather than making a quick judgement call on something you know nothing about.

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman
Honestly the continued trailer thing is just a theory and completely bunk. While it does make sense why they would do it (after beating Little Mac, Ken finds a hat on the ground, throws it and the camera pans to Terry), how does that explain the fact Hero got a fullblown original trailer?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
In the midst of all this anger I support Terry even more now lol

definitely my favorite character from this pass
I’m selfishly hoping this leak is real because then I would have three characters I wanted from the Fighter Pass instead of two to make up for the fact none of them are Toad, Meowth, or Dixie Kong. :ulthero::ultbanjokazooie:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
King of Fighters may indeed be "bigger" than Samurai Shodown, but I thought Samurai Shodown was still pretty significant for SNK and with it's big resurgence lately and it's upcoming Switch release
Granted. But these DLC characters were chosen, like, 2 years ago. Well before any of that.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Can't wait for kaithehedgefox kaithehedgefox to say the SNK character should be an Assist Trophy.
I would love to have Terry as great 2nd King of Fighters rep along with Kyo as a 1st rep. I don't know either of them well, and I don't even need to explain why I would like both of them over Shantae, Frisk, etc.

Last edited:

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
idk man, terry's trailer being a continuation of ken's is a no brainer and would happen regardless of who else is the final DLC fighter.
The Hero and Joker trailers were totally unique.

As of now, the only reason that Banjo's is a continuation is because of the Rare connection.

Can't assume anything rn.

Daeyrat

Smash Journeyman
Well yes, ofc Japanese Pocahontas would be more interesting than Terry. I said it myself. Just like Mai who’s a Kunoichi in a modern world. Terry is basic by design. But the mistake people are making is assuming basic = boring, when that’s not the case at all. It’s just an excuse you’re latching onto cause you didn’t get what you wanted. The point I’m making is that you should be more open minded to what the character offers in order to quell your salt. There’s tons of media with Terry in it already out there for you to consume.

Terry and SNK both have a legacy, and history in gaming, bringing with them tons of content content such as OVAs, Games, Manga, and so on and on... part of the opportunity Smash brings to people, is the chance to learn about things they might have otherwise not known about.

In the case of Terry, it’s not just his game, but you’ve also got the Fatal Fury OVAs, Manga, and tons of other media from the 90s to learn who he is. You could read up on SNK and their legacy to learn why they’re so important to the industry, you could learn about the impact SNK fighting games like Fatal Fury, KoF, Samurai Shodown, and Last Blade have had on the genre, and how they distinguished themselves. You could watch the SamSho OVAs. List goes on... characters like Tracer or Steve really wouldn’t have brought anything like that with them because they don’t really have HISTORY in gaming. The comparison isn’t really the same. It’s the legacy of SNK and the rich history they have that makes it worthwhile to bring them on board.

My point was that instead of complaining that they got someone they’d never heard about over whatever they might have wanted, they could take the chance to learn more about said character and the legacy they bring with them. Because ALL 5 DLC characters bring that. Joker for SMT and Atlus, Hero for Dragon Quest and Enix, Banjo for Rareware, Terry for SNK, Hayabusa for Ninja Gaiden and Koei Temco.

It’s easy to label something as boring because you’re ignorant about it. I could have just as easily said Marth was boring cause he was just a guy with a sword and boring basic sword moves in a game where characters shoot fireballs and eat each other, I mean “we already have Link on the roster? Do we really need another guy with a sword?” But instead he became my main in Melee, and introduced me and many others to Fire Emblem.

Had we gotten another Corrin-tier pick, you’d never have gotten a chance to learn about the history and legacy of a company important to gaming. Take that as an opportunity instead of complaining.

There’s tons of stuff there, you just haven’t bothered to look into it. Terry has been a meme on the internet for as far back as I can remember for his “can do” positive attitude combined with his funny Engrish catch-phrases.

ARE YOU OKAY?!
C’MON GET SERIOUS!!
HEY C’Mon C’mon!

That’s literally how I got introduced to the character. Internet meme culture, not his games as I didn’t even grow up knowing the Neo Geo was even a thing.

I could probably count on two hands the number of times I’ve played Fatal Fury and KoF. Yet I’ve always thought Terry was cool given his design. He stands out significantly from other fighting game protags cause he’s just some buff American dude in jeans with a trucker hat. What’s not to like? And how is that “generic?” In a sea of “karate guy in gi” there’s literally no one else like Terry Bogard. That’s literally why the SNK cast stands out, they’re all way more fashionable. So much so in fact, as I stated before, KoF sparked a fashion trend in Hong Kong in the 90s.

You don’t need to “represent a genre” to be deserving of anything. You’re setting baseless criteria on an asinine and pointless desire to see a variety of genres covered in Smash.

Terry is more deserving because his legacy, and the impact SNK have had on the indstry is GREATER than that of the other characters I’ve mentioned. People who don’t acknowledge this fact are ignorant of it, and that’s fine. I urge those people however to learn about this. That’s literally the opportunity Terry bring forward.

I challenge you to name someone more important. Unless your name is Doomguy, you really don’t have anyone who’s bigger or more important.

Just cause you have no regard or respect for fighting games doesn’t mean it’s redundant. To frame it into context. Without Terry, SNK, or all of the games he’s been in, you wouldn’t have Smash Bros considering how heavily Smash borrows from SNK fighting games.

Concepts like rolling, dodging, short hops, ring outs, and even the Smash invitation letter, just to name a few were born in games like Fatal Fury and King of Fighters.

That’s how significant it is to gaming, and clearly, to Masahiro Sakurai himself. You should take a moment to appreciate that rather than making a quick judgement call on something you know nothing about.

Great writing. I wasn't even expecting Terry, but as I come from fighting games, I understand how symbolic he is. Just because there are other important franchises, companies and characters, it doesn't mean Terry doesn't represent a lot of things as well, and, as you put, the things he's tied to are fundamentally connected to smash. He may even fit better than Ryu and Ken.

I won't talk like he's already in (even with all things pointing out that way), but his possible inclusion made me hyped.

zferolie

Smash Hero
yeah I hate people are just assuming the trailer will be a countinuation because of banjo's when that was done for a very specific reason.

Most likely it will be a trailer involving fighting for sure, but other characters. Ken may be in it, I bet Captain Falcon will, as a BUSTAH WOLF vs a FALCON PUNCH would be the most epic thing

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Calling

As of now, the only reason that Banjo's is a continuation is because of the Rare connection.

Seeing as how Terry is the only other straight up Fighting Game character to join since Ryu and Ken my mind immediately went to them sharing some kind of trailer together. I don't think its an unfair expectation to have.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
Seeing as how Terry is the only other straight up Fighting Game character to join since Ryu and Ken my mind immediately went to them sharing some kind of trailer together. I don't think its an unfair expectation to have.
I guess...

REGARDLESS, the point is that a leak at the start of August claiming that mother****ing TERRY would be the 4th character, also says it knows #5 and the trailer formats.

This is literally the ONLY leak that had Terry in at #4. If the leak is correct about the trailer as well, then to me the leak will become legit af and Ryu will be a lock.

Ryu fans should pray that Terry rolls through tomorrow at the Little Mac arena.

Last edited:

cothero

Smash Lord
Admittedly I am not familiar with King of Fighters, but from what I understand it pioneered many mechanics of the fighting genre, most notably team based fighting.

I really hope Sakurai leans into the whole “team” aspect with his design of Terry as I think it would really help him stand out. While making him a full on Pokémon Trainer type characters is most likely way too resource intensive, I think it would be cool to have some sort of mechanic for Terry that involves his teammates Andy and Joe, maybe for an assist attack since King of Fighters pioneered that mechanic as well.
Your concept of "Pokémon Trainer" isn't a bad idea at all, but that would take three characters slots from the fighter pack, not just one. There aren't many clone characters in SNK games like it generally exists in general fighting games.

Edit: someone above mentioned Rock as a Terry skin. That would be neat, but they play quite differently.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I guess...

REGARDLESS, the point is that a leak at the start of August claiming that mother****ing TERRY would be the 4th character, also says it knows #5 and the trailer formats.

This is literally the ONLY leak that had Terry in at #4. If the leak is correct about the trailer as well, then to me the leak will become legit af and Ryu will be a lock.

Ryu fans should pray that Terry rolls through tomorrow at the Little Mac arena.
If Hayabusa gets on the roster too, and you somehow get Doomguy into Smash, then literally every major gaming icon with a legacy and ties to Nintendo would be in Smash in some shape or form. I struggle to think who else could be missing from the game at that point.

Himiko

Smash Apprentice
Your concept of "Pokémon Trainer" isn't a bad idea at all, but that would take three characters slots from the fighter pack, not just one. There aren't many clone characters in SNK games like it generally exists in general fighting games.
Going slightly of topic to a different character/franchise, I’ve actually thought of Yuna becoming a character in Smash and being able to control her aeons similar to the pokemon trainer thing. I think it’d be awesome.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
I don't really have anything against Terry, but does anyone find it odd that it seems like he is the current front runner because from what I know about SNK, they like to have different characters for different crossovers (Geese in Tekken, Haohmaru in SC, Mai and Kula in DOA) and Terry is already appearing in Fighting EX Layer so wouldn't it make more sense for them to choose a character that hasn't been in a major crossover yet (unless they did, but it got vetoed). Then again, I'm probably just looking into this too much

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
I don't really have anything against Terry, but does anyone find it odd that it seems like he is the current front runner because from what I know about SNK, they like to have different characters for different crossovers (Geese in Tekken, Haohmaru in SC, Mai and Kula in DOA) and Terry is already appearing in Fighting EX Layer so wouldn't it make more sense for them to choose a character that hasn't been in a major crossover yet (unless they did, but it got vetoed). Then again, I'm probably just looking into this too much
If Terry is the only SNK rep, I assume that was mostly Sakurai's decision.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
I mean.... compare a cross into Smash to a cross into Fighting EX Layer. One is significantly more major than the other

StormC

Smash Hero
Between Persona, Dragon Quest, and FF/KOF, it feels like the Pass is mainly about beefing up the profile of Japanese franchises with a mid-tier presence on the worldwide stage. Banjo is the exception to the rule, so I'm not expecting a major western franchise.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
If Hayabusa gets on the roster too, and you somehow get Doomguy into Smash, then literally every major gaming icon with a legacy and ties to Nintendo would be in Smash in some shape or form. I struggle to think who else could be missing from the game at that point.
*sigh*

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Have you seen all the rule 34 of masculine characters like Bowser, K. Rool, and Incineroar? Why is it okay to sexualize male characters but not female characters?
Nothing wrong with sexualizing characters, however 'rule 34 exists somewhere' does not equal 'people calling for a character to be in just because they want sexy waifus'.

Huge lol at this. Off the top of my head:

Sora
Lara Croft
Crash
Spyro
Phoenix Wright
Professor Layton
Anyone from RE
Monster Hunter
Dante
Heihachi
Someone from Tales
Prince of All Cosmos

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Your concept of "Pokémon Trainer" isn't a bad idea at all, but that would take three characters slots from the fighter pack, not just one. There aren't many clone characters in SNK games like it generally exists in fighting games in general.
Yeah having 3 characters in 1 is way too resource intensive and wouldn’t work for DLC. Perhaps there could be a middle ground with the “team” mechanic , I’ve noticed that in the old KOF games you have your teammates rooting for you in the background as you fight and they occasionally jump into assist you in the fight.

What if instead of being fully fledged playable characters, Andy and Joe are characters that hang out in the background, kind of like how Squitle, Ivysaur, and Charizard have Pokémon Trainer in the background, but unlike Pokémon Trainer, Andy and Joe would not be purely cosmetic. Instead maybe Terry can “summon” his teammates to jump forward and do an attack with some of his special moves, that way his moveset showcases the “team” aspect of KOF without having to make 3 full characters. Just spitballing ideas, it probably has flaws.

It might not be a perfect representation of KOF’s team mechanics, but it could make Terry a pretty interesting fighter.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Yeah having 3 characters in 1 is way too resource intensive and wouldn’t work for DLC. Perhaps there could be a middle ground with the “team” mechanic , I’ve noticed that in the old KOF games you have your teammates rooting for you in the background as you fight and they occasionally jump into assist you in the fight.

What if instead of being fully fledged playable characters, Andy and Joe are characters that hang out in the background, kind of like how Squitle, Ivysaur, and Charizard have Pokémon Trainer in the background, but unlike Pokémon Trainer, Andy and Joe would not be purely cosmetic. Instead maybe Terry can “summon” his teammates to jump forward and do an attack with some of his special moves, that way his moveset showcases the “team” aspect of KOF without having to make 3 full characters. Just spitballing ideas, it probably has flaws.

It might not be a perfect representation of KOF’s team mechanics, but it could make Terry a pretty interesting fighter.
I was thinking that same thing, but with jusy Mai. She could pop on to assist with throws and smashes. Having 1 other could work well with that too.

Untouch

Smash Master

I think it's less that it makes sense (honestly I don't even think it makes sense in this case, I don't think it'll be a continuation) and more that this was a pretty popular theory, it sounds like the leak came up with the trailer continuations first then the characters second.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom