• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Geez what a disappointing pass so far...

Joker: B
Hero: C-
Banjo-Kazooie: A
Terry: C-

Though I’ve heard of each of these characters’ respective series, 3/4 of the characters themselves are characters I didn’t even know existed until their announcement (I guess technically 2.5 since anyone would know that DQ, like all series, has a protagonist. I just never knew anything about said protagonist or the series other than the fact the series exists).

The fact that 3/4 of these characters were leaked and thus most of the excitement I could have felt for them died, doesn’t help either.

Again, personal opinions, so they’re pretty biased. Not attacking anyone who is a fan of these characters, their series, or otherwise. Just thoughts from someone with a different perspective.
Joker: B-
Hero: A
Banjo: A++
Terry: A
Hayabusa: A

I have no problems with the fighter’s pass, it’s been more than well worth it.

Especially if we compare it to previous DLC:

Roy, Lucas, Mewtwo: C+
Ryu: B+
Cloud: A-
Bayonetta: B-
Corrin: F - (see me after class)

Other possible DLC:
Doomguy: A+
Monster Hunter: A
Geno: A-
Travis: A
RE character: B-
Dante: B+
Crash: B
Rayman: C
Reimu: B-
Steve: F
Waluigi: F
FE shill: F
Pokemon shill: F
Son Goku: really??

We really did get a best case scenario. It coulda been way way WAY worse.

CHAMPIONX9

Smash Journeyman
First impression
Hero: C
Banjo: C
Terry: D

Warming Up
Joker: A
Hero: B
Banjo: B (Happy for those who are happy, like his cartoonyness.)
Terry: D+ we will see.

Still feel longing for my picks, but generally have come to accept the roster. Only character I'm still salty about is incineroar.

lol

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Banjo & Kazooie: SSS
Others: okay cool

For me, Steve would’ve 100% satisfied me if Banjo & Kazooie were still here with him. There were others I wanted but Steve was at the top of my list next to the bear and bird.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Joker: B- (nothing against him it's just that I had no relation with Persona at the time)
Hero: B+ (would've been higher but I'm not a fan of how his moveset turned out)
Banjo: B (haven't gotten into the Banjo games though I've wanted to for some time)
Terry: A (the only reason this is not an A+ is because I slightly wanted Kyo more)

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Since were talking about the idea of female Terry in smash, now that I'm thinking about it SNK heroines has a control setup pretty similar to smash bros so they already have a base to work off of for his moveset.

D

Deleted member

While you guys are busy discussing I'm usy binge watching as much KoF as possible.

I'm kinda glad that so many people are about to witness KoF in Smash for the first time!

We've got a celebration to prepare here.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Come to think of it, aside from the lack of female characters, it's really hard to botch a full third-party line-up.

No kidding. Nintendo could make two or three more passes with this same premise and the general opinion would still be positive.

Himiko

Smash Apprentice
Female Terry is something very recent, so i dunno. He also uses a second skin wich consist in a brown jacket, short hair and no hat, introduced in "Garou Mark of the Wolves". It could be any of those two, but that's up to Sakurai to decide.
Female Terry looks attractive, I'd consider purchasing her at least.

Last edited:

CHAMPIONX9

Smash Journeyman
What are the chances of another fighters pass or additional dlc? The thing that casted doubt on that for me was that I always assumed sakurai would take a break or vacation after he finished the fighters pass dlc since he stated if he wondered if he would ever get a break.

D

Deleted member

Someone give Sabi attention irl so we can still enjoy surprises.
This x1000

Also, I missed two:
Tracer: F
Frisk: F

It coulda been a million times worse. Getting SNK stuff in Smash is dope, and the company’s legacy more than validates the inclusion.

Same for Hayabusa.

I doubt we’ll get a second pass, but if we do, I can only hope it’s as good as this one with inclusions like Doomguy, Geno, Travis, and Monster Hunter.

But this is already more than I could have asked for. Truly, the only major icon missing from the roster is Doomguy, like, we’ve covered most of gaming’s heavy hitters, and then some, which would have been unimaginable a decade ago.

Last edited by a moderator:

Himiko

Smash Apprentice
What are the chances of another fighters pass or additional dlc? The thing that casted doubt on that for me was that I always assumed sakurai would take a break or vacation after he finished the fighters pass dlc since he stated if he wondered if he would ever get a break.
Making this the only fighter pass would be a big mistake.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I guess I’ll rate too:

Joker: C - Wasn’t very excited for him to begin with and don’t find him that fun to play. At least he has a gun, which is cool.
Hero: A - Dragon Quest is dope! And Hero is by far the most fun character to play too. Great choice. Can’t go wrong with Akira Toriyama art either.
Banjo: B - Eh, it’s a legacy request which is cool. Not personally invested in him nor did he look interesting in his trailer. I would’ve rather had Steve or Master Chief.
Terry: C - From what I’ve seen, not very interested in him either. No atttachment to any SNK characters really, except Metal Slug.

Overall I’m only really content with Hero. I should have held off on buying the pass, if I’m being honest. If Hayabusa is next I’d rate him as an A because I like Ninja Gaiden, but I really don’t want him to finish off the pass though.

D

Deleted member

This has gotta be the wildest mood swing I've ever had in my life.

One minute I'm gloating over no female DLC then the next minute I'm celebrating SNK's grand inclusion to Super Smash Brothers Ultimate.

Sari if you're reading this start writing the 10-page essay!

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
Joker: S+ (Persona is my favorite franchise and I lost my **** when I was watching The Game Awards while in the mail to pick up my copy of Ultimate)

Hero: A- (I am more of a casual fan of Dragon Quest, I've only really played a bit of 8 and Builders 2, and a decent amount of 11 and Builders 1. But I really enjoyed from what I played and I do intend to finish 11 on the Switch. My real problem is his moveset needs some tweeks to it)

Banjo: B- (Never played a Banjo game, but he looks fun to play)

Terry: (I need to see in action first before grading him since I haven't played that many SNK games)

zferolie

Smash Hero
Pretty likely. They even may slow down and maybe just give a fighter every 5 months or so, so Sakurai could rest and relax.... but knowing him he won't.

Nintendo is most likely going to want to push more DLC. Smash is going to be one of the big switch games for its full life, so they would want to support it like Capcom did SF5, but much better at it

Onua

Smash Journeyman
I think its incredibly unfair to say fem terry is really unlikely considering how popular she is with most people and the lack of any female character in the pass
SNK heroines is also the most recent SNK game on nintendo and was heavily marketed by nintendo. Also the 3 more slots for voices works for her since shed need to have a diff voice from male Terry.
I could also see Sakurai not going with the wolves outfit for Terry due to it looking too similar to Ken

Cycrum

Smash Apprentice
Geez what a disappointing pass so far...

Hero: C-
Banjo-Kazooie: A
Terry: C-

Though I’ve heard of each of these characters’ respective series, 3/4 of the characters themselves are characters I didn’t even know existed until their announcement (I guess technically 2.5 since anyone would know that DQ, like all series, has a protagonist. I just never knew anything about said protagonist or the series other than the fact the series exists).

The fact that 3/4 of these characters were leaked and thus most of the excitement I could have felt for them died, doesn’t help either.

Again, personal opinions, so they’re pretty biased. Not attacking anyone who is a fan of these characters, their series, or otherwise. Just thoughts from someone with a different perspective.
Joker: A+
Hero: B+
Banjo-Kazooie: B
Terry: C
Hayabusa: B

I haven’t gotten a lot of hype (aside from Joker and his moveset) from this pass; I just like knowing that people are getting their dream picks.

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
I remember when I would type in "Terry Bogard Smash Bros" in Youtube and this was one of the only videos that would show up. Crazy how things have changed in the last few days.

Funny enough, this is still one of the only videos I get when typing "Kyo Kusanagi Smash Bros."
It looks straight out of KoF XIV. :secretkpop:

Himiko

Smash Apprentice
This has gotta be the wildest mood swing I've ever had in my life.

One minute I'm gloating over no female DLC then the next minute I'm celebrating SNK's grand inclusion to Super Smash Brothers Ultimate.

Sari if you're reading this start writing the 10-page essay!
Gloating? You mean maybe something like mourning? ...Crying, even? Like I'm doing right now.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I don’t even think female Terry would work, proportions wise. Regular Terry is jacked.

Onua

Smash Journeyman
I don’t even think female Terry would work, proportions wise. Regular Terry is jacked.
Girl terry is p big height wise. They could just have it be similar to male wii fit and female wii fit body sizes. They really arent that different. Its mostly the art style of SNK heroines that makes her look smaller

D

Deleted member

Come to think of it, aside from the lack of female characters, it's really hard to botch a full third-party line-up.

No kidding. Nintendo could make two or three more passes with this same premise and the general opinion would still be positive.
Nah, they could have easily ****ed it up. Other games do it all the time, see PSABR as a good example. Or Noctis over Tifa in Tekken 7.

Here, let me show you, Fighter’s Pass Monkey’s Paw version:

-Frisk (Undertale)
-Steve (Minecraft)
-Tracer (Overwatch)
-Fortnite Guy (Fortnite)
- Dovakin (Skyrim)

I was gonna say Cristiano Ronaldo (Fifa), hut in a stream of ****, he’d be unironically based and the only redeeming factor, lol.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Since everyone else is doing it.

Joker: S rank. Persona 5 is one of my favorite games of all time, Joker was one of my most requested alongside Layton and Sora, but I expected one of those 2 to get in before Joker, I honestly didn't think Joker would ever happen. But when his reveal trailer dropped I felt legitimate happiness, pure bliss the likes of which I haven't felt since Megaman was announced for Smash 4. A thing of pure beauty that hardly ever happens to me.

Hero: B rank. This ones kinda weird for me, I don't really have any emotional attachment to Dragon quest at all but I recognize their importance to the gaming industry and to Smash as a whole so I'm perfectly fine with the inclusion, also having Guv in Smash feels like wishing on a monkey's paw because I wanted Layton and Sora.

Banjo: A rank. Banjo is a character who I was exposed to at the earliest possible point in my life, when inwas about 2 or 3 years old and my older relatives played a lot of Diddy long racing, so I have fond memories of the character. I'm happy because it feels like he's finally come home after so many years.

Terry: A rank. Like I said in an earlier post SNK is pretty big where I live so I know quiet a number of people who are excited for this inclusion. Their excited rubs off on me.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Girl terry is p big height wise. They could just have it be similar to male wii fit and female wii fit body sizes. They really arent that different. Its mostly the art style of SNK heroines that makes her look smaller
Good point. I didn’t think about that. Hopefully they get female Terry in then (unless she’s like the Jar Jar of SNK or something. I speak will very little knowledge of the series).

Last edited:

Himiko

Smash Apprentice
Nah, they could have easily ****ed it up. Other games do it all the time, see PSABR as a good example. Or Noctis over Tifa in Tekken 7.

-Frisk (Undertale)
-Steve (Minecraft)
-Tracer (Overwatch)
-Fortnite Guy (Fortnite)
- Dovakin (Skyrim)

I was gonna say Cristiano Ronaldo (Fifa), hut in a stream of ****, he’d be unironically based and the only redeeming factor, lol.
That is the one thing I can agree on with you. I was extremely disappointed Tifa didn't make it into Tekken 7.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137

-Frisk (Undertale)
-Steve (Minecraft)
-Tracer (Overwatch)
-Fortnite Guy (Fortnite)
- Dovakin (Skyrim)

That's why I said it was hard and not impossible. And for the matter being, I'm gonna just throw two examples of third-party line-ups with different themes just to showcase that they can work:

FP2: Another round of brand-new franchises:
*Dante (Devil May Cry)
*Crash
*Doomguy (DOOM)
*Heihachi Mishima (Tekken)
*Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney)

FP3: Unique characters from already-featured franchises:
*Chun-Li (Street Fighter)
*Sephiroth (Final Fantasy VII)
*Soma Cruz (Castlevania)
*Mega Man Zero
*Dr. Eggman (Sonic)

They're all guests and I bet no one would complain about these.

Onua

Smash Journeyman
Good point. I didn’t think about that. Hopefully they get female Terry in then (unless she’s like the Jar Jar of SNK or something. I speak will very little knowledge of the series).
Girl Terry actually sold copies of SNK Heroines lol
A lot of ppl didnt care about the game until she was added. Literally every person who barely knows about SNK is like "it would be cool if she was in"
Girl Terry is an easy girl addition and would for sure bring in a lot of people purely cause shes so appealing.
It might not happen, but theres no reason for it to not happen honestly. You get way more out of her being in than her not being in.

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
Man... I just want Marco and the Metal Slug Crew as a fighter. He would've been so cool and another gunner would be a warm welcome. Terry just doesn't seem that interesting, what with being another fist-fighting brawler and all.

Metal Slug Crew.png
Metal Slug Crew.png

KatKit

Smash Lord
I'm not complaining about the lack of ladies (despite the fact that all of my most wanted are women, most of which are 1st party) in this DLC pass because I'm sure there'll be more DLC in the future after the pass. That and I don't think fighter 5 is set in stone, and I don't know if Terry will be the for sure SNK rep either.

doomedtacox

Smash Ace

Nah it's really easy to botch it. Make those 5 characters all female anime reps with sword type weapons that are from obscure franchises, and then watch the world burn.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Girl Terry actually sold copies of SNK Heroines lol
A lot of ppl didnt care about the game until she was added. Literally every person who barely knows about SNK is like "it would be cool if she was in"
Girl Terry is an easy girl addition and would for sure bring in a lot of people purely cause shes so appealing.
It might not happen, but theres no reason for it to not happen honestly. You get way more out of her being in than her not being in.
It did for me lol

I liked the setup for it and everything, plus everyone's interactions with Terry were hilarious.

The gender swapped characters in that game were the best.

Himiko

Smash Apprentice
That's why I said it was hard and not impossible. And for the matter being, I'm gonna just throw two examples of third-party line-ups with different themes just to showcase that they can work:

FP2: Another round of brand-new franchises:
*Dante (Devil May Cry)
*Crash
*Doomguy (DOOM)
*Heihachi Mishima (Tekken)
*Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney)

FP3: Unique characters from already-featured franchises:
*Chun-Li (Street Fighter)
*Sephiroth (Final Fantasy VII)
*Soma Cruz (Castlevania)
*Mega Man Zero
*Dr. Eggman (Sonic)

They're all guests and I bet no one would complain about these.
Only 1 female character after 3 fighter passes? Sorry but I have a big problem with that.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
Anyway, here’s wonderwall:

Joker: A. Love Persona 5, love SMT games in general, and it was truly a surprise when he was revealed.

Hero: B. Not a huge DQ fan but I was always interested. Will probably check out DW 11 if I like the demo.

Banjo: S. My second most wanted after Impa. Banjo was the first game I ever played so the reveal was a dream.

Terry: C. I have no personal attachment and no real interest. But happy for those who do.

Onua

Smash Journeyman
It did for me lol

I liked the setup for it and everything, plus everyone's interactions with Terry were hilarious.

The gender swapped characters in that game were the best.
Hecc the collectors addition came with a fatal cutie hat. Literally everyone wants girl terry except a select few who think shes "cringe"
I think id be really shocked if they didnt put her in. Id say rn its

Terry + Girl Terry as most likely
then
Terry with no alts
then
Terry with wolves alt

in order of likelyhood

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
Hero: C
Banjo: A
Terry: C

As someone who doesn't know much about SNK fighting games, how different is Terry from the likes of Ryu and Ken?
when it comes to smash he really won't be much different from them, as he'd have to have the same gameplay mechanic as them due to being from a fighting game.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
I'm just going to repost what I said in the Doom Slayer Support Thread.

I still think Doom Slayer is the most likely DLC #5. Ryu Hayabusa is still very possible (and still someone I very much support and would like), but I don't believe that 4chan leak at all. Continuing off of Simon's trailer? That honestly makes no sense to me.

If it's no though, that's okay. I got Joker and Banjo & Kazooie, who were also among my most wanted alongside Doom Slayer. Hero and Terry are really great additions too. So I really shouldn't complain.

Also, predictions for Fighter Pass 2: Ninja Gaiden/Tekken/Resident Evil/Devil May Cry makes the most sense for remaining Japanese franchises, while Doom/Crash Bandicoot/Half-Life/Halo makes the most sense for western franchises. All that assuming we keep with more classic franchises. Leaving out SNK was a bad miss on my part for predictions last time around though. I wonder if I'm missing any big ones. Maybe Tales or Digimon? Though they seem to be mostly ignoring Bandai Namco compared to Smash 4. Hmmm....

Last edited:

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I'm just going to repost what I said in the Doom Slayer Support Thread.

I still think Doom Slayer is the most likely DLC #5. Ryu Hayabusa is still very possible (and still someone I very much support and would like), but I don't believe that 4chan leak at all. Continuing off of Simon's trailer? That honestly makes no sense to me.

If it's no though, that's okay. I got Joker and Banjo & Kazooie, who were also among my most wanted alongside Doom Slayer. Hero and Terry are really great additions too. So I really shouldn't complain.

Also, predictions for Fighter Pass 2: Ninja Gaiden/Tekken/Resident Evil/Devil May Cry makes the most sense for remaining Japanese franchises, while Doom/Crash Bandicoot/Half-Life/Halo makes the most sense for western franchises. All that assuming we keep with more classic franchises. Leaving out SNK was a bad miss on my part for predictions last time around though. I wonder if I'm missing any big ones. Maybe Tales or Digimon? Though they seem to be mostly ignoring Bandai Namco compared to Smash 4. Hmmm....
Going off your last point, I’m shocked that Bandai Namco, despite helping with production, still only has one character. Then you got Konami with 3. It’s bananas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom