• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
The Dragon Quest 3 and 4 heroes have female versions, but 8 and 11 don't. I feel like they didn't do the female alts for the sake of consistency
I feel like they didn't do the female alts because 6 models is more work than 4.

It takes a lot for me to hate someone, i dont hate any of these at all.
Same. A "C" just means I don't care about that character. Anything below a C would be a character I actively DIDN'T want in Smash. Like Piranha Plant.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Joker: B
Hero:B+
Banjo: A+
Terry: B
Joker: Whack.
Hero: Whack.
Banjo: Whack.
Terry: Thwack.
Chain Chomp will save this DLC lineup from the dumpster!
Note: This is satire.

I relate to this comment on a spiritual level.
You relate to relating to yourself on a spiritual level? I think I relate to this comment on a spiritual level.
Note: This is also a joke. I will now show myself out.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Well, we all know how it goes with Vergeben: if he calls a character, then that character will happen. And with Sabi to back him up, even less reasons to discredit him.

What surprises me is that Terry of all characters is the guest. I love the dude as much as all the other supporters, but I would've thought SNK would've chose to not repeat the same character in two different crossovers.

I'll ask this again: does anyone here still expect a Nintendo character now that four out five DLCs have been third-party?

And as far as my ratings go, it's:
Joker: A
Hero: A+
Banjo: C
Terry: S

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Imagine you guys complaining about the lack of female characters in the fighter pack and fighter #5 being revealed to be Lara Croft, Tracer or Frisk. Nothing is confirmed about Ryu, so don't lose hope just yet.
For me a lack of female characters is more of a bummer than anything since what I wanted more than anything was a genuine surprise and to get that with Terry who is also a most-wanted is kind of amazing. But I do hope we either get a female-appealing series/character like Phoenix Wright or Layton, or an iconic female character like Lara, Elma, Tracer, 2B, or on another personal note Velvet Crowe, etc etc. Would be a fun way to end the pass. It's not gonna hurt me if it doesn't happen since again all I wanted was another big surprise and we might be getting that, but y'know!

It's a wild west out there. Looking forward to seeing what happens.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Welp, if Verge and Sabi say it's the same guy, then there goes speculation until the Direct confirms it.

Still, this is the first time all this started only because of an error on Nintendo's part. Given how low most people were rating SNK's chances of getting any rep, this would've probably turned out to be a Joker-level reveal in that it'd have caught everyone off guard, especially given how many people would've been banking on Ryu or dreading Tracer instead. It would've been great, especially if our leakers kept quiet until the Direct day.

As far as surprising reveals would've gone, SNK is a fantastic choice.

Ah well. We may not get those pure-shock reaction videos, but we'll still have a new character from a deserving series. And honestly, the guy reminds me a lot of Captain Falcon, whose playstyle I swear doesn't have any real alternatives on the entire roster.
There are people that refuse to watch leaks, so i bet we will get some nice reaction videos.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Joker: C
Hero: SSS (absolute perfection, other than the bad frame data and the randomness)
Banjo-Kazooie: C
Terry: B+

Hmm almost exactly like DarthEnderX

I’m a bit bummed that from a 80-ish character roster, we have not one samurai character.

13 are swordsmen.
7 are martial artists (9 if you want to count Incy and Mac)
3 of them are ninja. Edit: If Ryu were in

The closest character to being a samurai is Cloud, which I think was meant to look and fight like a modern, steampunk version of the feudal warrior.

But not a biggie. I’m pretty excited for Ultimate’s roster.

:ulthero::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultken::ultdaisy:, and now Terry. Ryu hayabusa would be the cherry on top.
Also :ultpokemontrainer: if we count scrapped characters.

Last edited:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Imagine you guys complaining about the lack of female characters in the fighter pack and fighter #5 being revealed to be Lara Croft, Tracer or Frisk. Nothing is confirmed about Ryu, so don't lose hope just yet.
Mainly, I'm just hoping it's not Ryu. I'm hoping for Reimu the most though and I feel a female character is far more surprising than any of the other guys in the speculation circle thus far.

Himiko

Smash Apprentice
I could get behind Lara Croft, but not Tracer, hell no. And I'm quite indifferent about Frisk as I don't know much about Undertale in general. I'm just super, super disappointed and salty such a great opportunity is being missed here for Nakoruru.

I'm hella salty right now but I also just have no interest in those characters.

ProfPeanut

Smash Ace
There are people that refuse to watch leaks, so i bet we will get some nice reaction videos.
Maybe they won't get the specifics, true, but the news that an SNK copyright showed up where no one expected one to sure got around, and was kind of half the surprise already. Plus, you could count the number of truly-probable SNK candidates on one hand.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I hated the idea of Terry, but apparently he's popular in Latin America, and my nephew is Hispanic, so at least it's not the "who the **** asked for this?" scenario I originally thought.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I do have to admit that I'm a bit disappointed the pass probably won't have one female character. Not counting Kazooie, obviously. Even the DQ hero female alts would have been cool. Maybe we'll get female Terry too, but unlikely. Ah well. Still hoping for Doomguy as the last anyway.

kylexv

Smash Master
Joker: B
Hero: C
Banjo: A
Terry: C

As someone who doesn't know much about SNK fighting games, how different is Terry from the likes of Ryu and Ken?

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I hope no one tells Maximilian Dood about Terry. I wanna see that guy freaking out.
While I don't think Max follows Smash leak news, anything that shows up on the front page of EventHubs(which, the SNK news has) he'll probably already have heard.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Since it is now basically impossible for me to get both Crash and Doom Slayer now, imagine this:
A second Fighter's Pass starting of with a two for one Crash and Spyro pack!
This may sound unlikely, but think about how Crash and Spyro have always come as a pair in the past.
Plus, it would be insanely hype for pretty much everyone.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I never knew anyone that had the NeoGeo. It must not have been sold in Tennessee. I have never heard of any of those titles. I remember NES, SNES, Sega Genesis, N64, Gamecube, Playstation 1-2, and eventually Xbox as being the big consoles. (Sega Saturn was kind of big but the SEGA systems after the Genesis were mostly uncommon). Ironically, the console that was probably the most prevalent growing up was the Gameboy.
It's not entirely surprising, the NeoGeo is like the Cadillac of old retro game systems in that it offered an arcade perfect experience and cost $650 upon launch, with games costing between $100-300. After inflation, that's a $1275 console plus at least $196 per game. For all the talk about rare 8-bit/16-bit titles in the news these days, none of those systems can compare to the craziness of NeoGeo collecting.

Here's some primers for those unfamiliar with KoF or the NeoGeo:

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/series/king-of-fighters/
https://retronauts.com/article/624/its-king-of-fighters-and-more-on-this-weeks-podcast - Might be Language, I don't remember
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOSivEfGsbk - Language
https://playlegit.net/2013/06/18/neo-geo-aes-and-mvs-collecting-guide-for-beginners/

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Joker: A+ (One of my favorite game franchises finally being represented in Smash? And as the first DLC character? Consider me lucky!)
Hero: A (An incredibly influential series that paved the way for JRPGs, more than deserves its spot in Smash. The incredibly fun and wacky moveset is just the cherry on top)
Banjo: A (A nostalgic favorite of mine and many others, so finally seeing a long-requested character make it back home was super satisfying)
Terry: B+ (Don't know much about SNK, but their stuff looks really cool. From what I can tell, Smash got a lot of its DNA from King of Fighters, so seeing it represented makes a ton of sense. I would've preferred other characters like Marco or Nakoruru, but I bet Sakurai will make a fun moveset for Terry)

As you could prolly tell, I don't have very many complaints with the DLC lineup thus far. Sure some female representation would be nice (Really hoping for some Jill Sandwiches for DLC 5), but this lineup has been super solid thus far. There's a good amount of genre diversity here and they all bring something unique to the table, which makes me excited for what the last character is gonna bring

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Someone give Sabi attention irl so we can still enjoy surprises.

Last edited:

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
As someone who doesn't know much about SNK fighting games, how different is Terry from the likes of Ryu and Ken?
He's less martial arts, and more of a street fighter (pun not intended, but unavoidable).

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Joker: A+ (More of a SMT fan but Persona 5 was one of my favorite games of 2017)
Hero: A (Love me some DQ although I would've preferred Slime)
Banjo-Kazooie: S+ (Yes)
Terry: A- (Used to be big on KoF but I kinda went more Street Fighter/Mortal Kombat with the years)

Needless to say I'm happy with DLC.

Though I am disappointed with people not accepting Kazooie as the awesome heroine she is. I get wanting a woman to be a fighter on her own instead of half of one, but don't put sassy bird girl down! She's a role model, you hear?

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I guess we know when the Heihachi, Akira, and Jackie costumes are coming now.

zferolie

Smash Hero
I think he will give a great reaction still. He had a great reation for simon, and his mk11 dlc one recently was still good.

Joker: A+ (More of a SMT fan but Persona 5 was one of my favorite games of 2017)
Hero: A (Love me some DQ although I would've preferred Slime)
Banjo-Kazooie: S+ (Yes)
Terry: A- (Used to be big on KoF but I kinda went more Street Fighter/Mortal Kombat with the years)

Needless to say I'm happy with DLC.

Though I am disappointed with people not accepting Kazooie as the awesome heroine she is. I get wanting a woman to be a fighter on her own instead of half of one, but don't put sassy bird girl down! She's a role model, you hear?
Oh i know kazooie is a fantastic heroine. I am super happy she is in. Ita just she also shares the limelight with her partner Banjo. Look at the ice climbers, do we consider them a female rep because Nana is there? Same thing basically.

Onua

Smash Journeyman
How do yall think theyd reveal fem terry tho? Like the simon/hero situation where they get their butt kicked then appear or have terry transform half way in or something

Himiko

Smash Apprentice
Since it is now basically impossible for me to get both Crash and Doom Slayer now, imagine this:
A second Fighter's Pass starting of with a two for one Crash and Spyro pack!
This may sound unlikely, but think about how Crash and Spyro have always come as a pair in the past.
Plus, it would be insanely hype for pretty much everyone.
Nice joke.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
How do yall think theyd reveal fem terry tho? Like the simon/hero situation where they get their butt kicked then appear or have terry transform half way in or something
Not me. If Terry's got any alt costumes, then I expect them to randomly pop up in his trailer like Joker's.

Himiko

Smash Apprentice
How likely is a female Terry though?

Last edited:

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
Hey, someone on Reddit (I know, I know) just brought up something really interesting that I never once considered:

"If Terry’s in, then this is shaping up to be a pretty diverse set in terms of time period and appeal. We’ve got a character from a popular and recent title, a set of characters that celebrate the history of a long-running series that’s loved by Japan, an iconic N64 duo loved by the West, and a 90s arcade star loved by Latin America and other parts of the world that we Americans often kinda ignore when talking about these things."

I know jack about SNK, and like a lot of people on here, this leak/revelation has really dampened my excitement for the Fighter's Pass. But man, it's really kind of cool that gaming's biggest crossover is getting a character that will really excite an audience that isn't exclusively Japanese or North American. Just thought I'd throw this devil's advocate argument into the mix.

cothero

Smash Lord
How likely is a female Terry though?
Female Terry is something very recent, so i dunno. He also uses a second skin wich consist in a brown jacket, short hair and no hat, introduced in "Garou Mark of the Wolves". It could be any of those two, but that's up to Sakurai to decide.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I hated the idea of Terry, but apparently he's popular in Latin America, and my nephew is Hispanic, so at least it's not the "who the **** asked for this?" scenario I originally thought.
Yeah, at least where I live, (I'm from Latin america) Games like metal slug and Fatal fury are considered just as important as retro franchise's as the likes of FF7 and Castlevania so the idea of Terry getting into Smash (or any SNK character) is a pretty big deal down here.

Not likely at all IMO. FemTerry is a gag character whose 1 appearance was in a SNK girls fighting game.
If you want to get technical she was also in one of the Capcom crossovers.

Last edited:

cothero

Smash Lord
Yeah, at least where I live, (I'm from Latin america) Games like metal slug and Fatal fury are considered just as important as retro franchise's as the likes of FF7 and Castlevania so the idea of Terry getting into Smash (or any SNK character) is a pretty big deal down here.
Indeed. As someone that grew up playing SNK games on arcade machines here in Brazil, i'm very happy that he's in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom