• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gothitelle

Smash Journeyman
I have to admit I'm a little let down by this - I guess I fell a little too much for the "SNK doesn't like to reuse guests" speculation. I knew I probably wasn't going to get Metal Slug or Athena, but I was at least hoping for Kyo or Mai or Nakororu.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Why the hell would Ryu's trailer be a continuation of Simon's anyways?
Agree. I know Banjo has the Rare connection to DKC.

But the only connection I see between Ryu and anyone in the roster so far would be Ridley/Samus due to the DOA Other M stage with Ridley in it.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
This post was warned for containing inappropriate content.
****ing lame. Anything except Nakoruru for next dlc character is ****ing lame. All of the dlc for this game is the most unexciting sausage fest I've ever seen. Where's the damn waifus? Literally 0 hype for Smash dlc.
Mod Edit: Inappropriate content removed

It is not necessarily a Western character that we need but at least a Japanese character that is recognizable to most Western audiences and deserving (been around longer than the recent console generation)
Hey, like King of Fighters!
Only reason I can think of is both are ultra hard NES platformers. Ninja Gaiden did take inspiration from Castlevania in its design.

Last edited by a moderator:

Untouch

Smash Master
Simon's trailer didn't even end with him in trouble, did this guy even watch it?
Ryu also doesn't fight "eastern monsters", he fights demons and humans.

Ryu has a chance but this leak already has so many holes in it.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Geez what a disappointing pass so far...

Joker: B
Hero: C-
Banjo-Kazooie: A
Terry: C-

Though I’ve heard of each of these characters’ respective series, 3/4 of the characters themselves are characters I didn’t even know existed until their announcement (I guess technically 2.5 since anyone would know that DQ, like all series, has a protagonist. I just never knew anything about said protagonist or the series other than the fact the series exists).

The fact that 3/4 of these characters were leaked and thus most of the excitement I could have felt for them died, doesn’t help either.

Again, personal opinions, so they’re pretty biased. Not attacking anyone who is a fan of these characters, their series, or otherwise. Just thoughts from someone with a different perspective.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
If any character would have a trailer that continues from a past one i can only really think of Terry's picking up after the Ken/incineroar one. With the old Capcom and SNK rivalry it makes sense, Terry and Ken were rivals in that crossover so I can easily see him fighting the guy who beat his rival.

Himiko

Smash Apprentice
Geez what a disappointing pass so far...

Joker: B
Hero: C-
Banjo-Kazooie: A
Terry: C-

Though I’ve heard of each of these characters’ respective series, 3/4 of the characters themselves are characters I didn’t even know existed until their announcement (I guess technically 2.5 since anyone would know that DQ, like all series, has a protagonist. I just never knew anything about said protagonist or the series other than the fact the series exists).

The fact that 3/4 of these characters were leaked and thus most of the excitement I could have felt for them died, doesn’t help either.

Again, personal opinions, so they’re pretty biased. Not attacking anyone who is a fan of these characters, their series, or otherwise. Just thoughts from someone with a different perspective.
The pass is extremely disappointing indeed. Nakoruru could've saved this sorry excuse of a dlc roster.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If anything Hayabusa's reveal trailer should involve ninjas with:ultgreninja:and:ultsheik:in it. It makes much more sense.

Anyways **** it I'm throwing in the final bone. I think its gonna be him as the final DLC fighter.

D

Deleted member

Well here's a writeup I have for when Terry does get confirmed. I'm posting this now and not anytime later since it's looking pretty damn obvious SNK's getting a rep in Ultimate.
-----------------------------

With Terry essentially confirmed, I don't believe Hayabusa is going to be the last character even if we get the Kencineroar continuation. I don't know a lot about KoF or Fatal Fury, but I imagine it actually makes sense for the trailer to have him challenge Incineroar in the wrestling ring. I'm not gonna get into Hayabusa continuing off of Simon's trailer since it makes no real sense like what others have mentioned (plus Eastern Monsters? really?).

However, it's still anyone's game for when the 5th Fighter Pack gets revealed, but what I'm thinking is that Nintendo and Sakurai chose a character that a majority of the Smash fandom wouldn't expect; a character whose name has never been in any leaks at all (hell maybe even never been in any 4chan posts ever); a character from a series that has a very original combat style unlike most games around here. What I'm talking about is a Dynasty Warriors character. Ryu Hayabusa's name has been brought around often because of Tecmo and Team Ninja's relationship with Nintendo, but the current Fighter Pass has actually gotten a lot of picks not a lot of people found predictable. Not a lot of people expected Joker, Hero (pre-Erdrick leaks & the Brave Datamine), and Banjo-Kazooie, and with SNK being 1 of the biggest dark horses to Smash, the Fighter Pass so far has broken a lot of people's expectations, whether if they find it super amazing or incredibly boring. It's as if the lineup Nintendo and Sakurai went with ended up being the most experimental part of Ultimate since there aren't any characters people expected to see in the Fighter Pass like Steve, Sora, Monster Hunter, Leon, Crash, Tracer, etc. Maybe Nintendo find these characters too predictable to put in the Fighter Pass and wouldn't make it feel as special for the Fighter Pass.

Now why exactly would they end with Dynasty Warriors even when it's Koei's biggest cash cow? Simply put, the series has history as it's been around since 1997, and it's combat from DW2 and so on, while being considered a bit simple and repetitive, is unlike any other Hack n Slashers that exist, and it's got some great soundtracks that easily fit in Smash. It's also worth mentioning the Warriors series tend to pack in a lot of content with their games, and if they're the last series to be included to Smash, it's certainly a possible reason to why they are the last series added because of the sheer amount of content it might bring to Smash. Not a lot of people expect a Warriors character in Smash because either A: Ninja Gaiden exists, or B: the characters are based on real life people (or in Dynasty Warriors' case, the Romance of the Three Kingdoms novel). I've always believed that a Warriors character is fair game for Smash because it's Omega-Force's interpretation of the characters, and they're distinct enough to be more like video game characters than their real life counterparts. Unless there is some sort of barrier that keeps them from actually being in the game (which wouldn't be because of the non-video game characters fan rule), there's nothing really holding them back. As to who could be the Warriors character to get in Smash, Zhao Yun is certainly the most obvious choice as he's 1 of the most popular characters in Dynasty Warriors and easily represents the series' "1 vs many" archetype (if you don't think that's the case, you should look into the Battle of Changban to see why he does).

Will it disappoint some Smash fans? Well yeah you're not really gonna avoid this when other popular characters exist, but Dynasty Warriors could make for 1 hell of a conclusion to the Fighter Pass. I imagine the Warriors series would garner a variety of reactions from the community that other franchises probably won't be able to bring if they're in FP5.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Not the best continuation either

But it’s simply because ryu fights monsters just like Simon does but however ryu monsters are more focused on demons

His trailer would most likely be the remake of the intro of the nes intro of the first ever game but with :ultgreninja: and :ultsheik: or whoever instead and he pops out of nowhere

Last edited:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Actually it seems like the logical conclusion for someone trying to shame someone else for wanting female characters in their games.
Yeah sure, it has to be because you want a female character. Not because of the homophobic insults or lusting over a 16 year old anime girl

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Simon's trailer didn't even end with him in trouble, did this guy even watch it?
Ryu also doesn't fight "eastern monsters", he fights demons and humans.
Luigi was still in danger. Also DK and Diddy weren't and Banjo & Kazooie preceded King K. Rool's trailer. Also, I'm pretty sure Death, mummies, and Medusa as monsters all come from Europe.

Castlevania and Ninja Gaiden don't have much to do with each other so I don't see him picking up where Simon's trailer left off.

Actually it seems like the logical conclusion for someone trying to shame someone else for wanting female characters in their games.
Cool your jets Himiko. That's not what GoodGrief741 was trying to insinuate (or at least I don't think it was). You can be mad about the situation, but if you come here saying that the character that is (most likely) going to be added is absolute trash and your character is the only one that could save the worthless pile of garbage that is DLC consisting of three characters from critically acclaimed franchises most people are going to take issue and may not word their retorts very nicely.

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
Its saddening to see how close-minded some people are, the pass has been an absolute 10/10.
There is variety, there are characters with absolute legacy in their genre, characters that people have literally years asking for, characters that we'd thought would be 100% impossible and yet, here we are, saying "What a disappointment".
Smash is a celebration of gaming, and so far, it has been on point.

Last edited:

Himiko

Smash Apprentice
uh I don't think that's why they're shaming you my dude
That is exactly why they are trying to.

Yeah sure, it has to be because you want a female character. Not because of the homophobic insults or lusting over a 16 year old anime girl
Drawing a conclusion that someone is gay does not mean I'm saying being gay is inherently a bad thing. Also I never said anything sexually related to female characters, he's the one that brought that up.

D

Deleted member

Are people seriously disappointed by Terry (and Hayabusa really??)?

Like, I woulda preferred, Mai, and Nako has a lot of potential too. But c’mon man, it’s Terry. What’s not to like? He has some cool moves, tons of quotable catch phrases, and he’ll probably come with some Ex Meter Himmick or something. Like, if you REALLY think about it, which of the two makes more sense.

Smash x Fatal Fury
or
Smash x Samurai Shodown
?

FF is one of SNK’s first ventures into fighting games, it feels like the sort of thing Sakurai would go for. Plus, if they didn’t do Smash x Rareware, there’s no way they’d do Smash x SNK. So they have to settle for one IP. KoF could work, but if it’s KoF, then you’d go for Kyo, who’s significantly less popular and iconic than Terry.

And anyone saying Hayabusa is boring needs to look into Ninja Gaiden. Inazuma Drop, Tons of weapons, Shuriken, Ninja Magic... He’d be your “heavy” Ninja.

For me, Doomguy, Hayabusa, Monster Hunter, Geno, and an SNK character are all great picks to fill out the roster tbh. I’m happy it’s turning out that way.

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
If you want her as a character, more power to you, but if you insult anyone without any valid explanation and constructing reasoning, I think you are making a fool of yourself.

cothero

Smash Lord
So, if we're talking about Samurai Shodown, wouldn't Haohmaru be Nintendo's obvious choice for a character? Imagine if they have added Chun-Li insted of Ryu in smash 4 or Tails instead of Sonic in Brawl, that would make sense for you?

Last edited:

Hidan

Smash Apprentice
This is all my personal opinions, but:

This fighter pass for me has been disappointing. Joker, Hero, and now Terry are all picks that feel very uninteresting to me, with Banjo-Kazooie being the only interesting characters in my opinion.

Maybe it’s the type of characters I like, or the games that I played growing up. But if we’re looking at third parties, I’d easily say I want to see someone like Sora, Spyro, or Crash in the game. Even looking at indies I’d say Shantae and Sans (or an Undertale rep in general) both appeal to me. This is probably a very “western” viewpoint though.

With that said, in Ultimate I also got my most requested of all time (in Ridley) so I feel I shouldn’t hamper on about this too much, but this pass just doesn’t seem enticing to me.

Himiko

Smash Apprentice
Luigi was still in danger. Also DK and Diddy weren't and Banjo & Kazooie preceded King K. Rool's trailer. Also, I'm pretty sure Death, mummies, and Medusa as monsters all come from Europe.

Castlevania and Ninja Gaiden don't have much to do with each other so I don't see him picking up where Simon's trailer left off.

Cool your jets Himiko. That's not what GoodGrief741 was trying to insinuate (or at least I don't think it was). You can be mad about the situation, but if you come here saying that the character that is (most likely) going to be added is absolute trash and your character is the only one that could save the worthless pile of garbage that is DLC consisting of three characters from critically acclaimed franchises most people are going to take issue and may not word their retorts very nicely.
Well if these "leaks" are true, it will no longer be just 3 lame characters, it will be 4, and maybe 5. All males. How unexciting.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If you notice a pattern all the DLC picks in this Season Pass are characters with legacy and history in gaming.:ultjoker:is somewhat an exception since Sakurai likely picked him out of bias liking his game even then his company is Sega as a whole who has strong history with Nintendo.

Now lets get down to it.

:ulthero:began JRPG
:ultbanjokazooie:changed platforming as it is, also solid history with Nintendo due to Rare once being 2nd party with them and was even among the N64 faces as he appeared on the box with:ultmario::ultdk:and:ultpikachu:

Then we get to Terry Bogard. If you know SNK is already popular and a huge legacy with gaming as a whole and their iconic poster boy Terry Bogard is no exception his series being one of the inspirations for Smash such as shield block which makes sense since Sakurai is a fan and played the games.

So that said the last DLC fighter should fit into this category. Ryu Hayabusa is a runner-up being among the last NES all-stars and strong history with Nintendo.

Chaosmaster8753

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ChaoticZelos3578
3DS FC
2750-1187-7177
Have any character reveal trailer descriptions from various "leaks" over the years ever ended up being true?

Untouch

Smash Master
Have any character reveal trailer descriptions from various "leaks" over the years ever ended up being true?
Actually on here someone "leaked" that a trailer would be Ken and Incineroar fighting.
Everything else in the leak was BS though.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
It's okay to be disappointed that there might not be women in the Fighter's Pass besides Kazooie...but ideally, the reason for that shouldn't really just be "wanting more waifus" or whatever. There are women who want more female characters and it's a bit discouraging that so far Kazooie is the closest we have to a female newcomer in the pass.

Prince777

REIMU AND KOS-MOS FOR SMASH!
NNID
songokuthegreat
Switch FC
SW-3912-2310-8722
****ing lame. Anything except Nakoruru for next dlc character is ****ing lame. All of the dlc for this game is the most unexciting sausage fest I've ever seen. Where's the damn waifus? Literally 0 hype for Smash dlc.
I relate to this comment on a spiritual level.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Its saddening to see how close-minded some people are, the pass has been an absolute 10/10.
There is variety, there are characters with absolute legacy in their genre, characters that people have literally years asking for, characters that we'd thought would be 100% impossible and yet, here we are, saying "What a disappointment".
Smash is a celebration of gaming, and so far, it has been on point.
It's all about demographics. Never touched a PS4? Probably don't care about Joker. Not from Japan? Probably don't care about Hero. Missed the N64? Probably don't care about Banjo & Kazooie.

EDIT: All three are likely to be true with the younger fans on these boards.

Drawing a conclusion that someone is gay does not mean I'm saying being gay is inherently a bad thing. Also I never said anything sexually related to female characters, he's the one that brought that up.
I think the term "waifu" usually refers to a female character you find attractive though.

Well if these "leaks" are true, it will no longer be just 3 lame characters, it will be 4, and maybe 5. All males. How unexciting.
So...You can't be invested in a male character? Not even a little bit?

Hang on what’s happening

Was terry leaked as the SNK character or something?
Vergaben asked us if we were OK. It was very considerate of him.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
You must be gay.
Well, I was hoping I was mistaken and you weren't referring to waifus in that way, but it looks like I wasn't.

If it matters, I'm a straight male and quite confident in my sexuality. Mod Edit: inappropriate content removed

Also I find it quite sad that you had to stoop to using gay as an insult, then backing off when it blew up in your face. Besides the blatant homophobia, I've been called more creative insults.

If you notice a pattern all the DLC picks in this Season Pass are characters with legacy and history in gaming.:ultjoker:is somewhat an exception since Sakurai likely picked him out of bias liking his game even then his company is Sega as a whole who has strong history with Nintendo.

Now lets get down to it.

:ulthero:began JRPG
:ultbanjokazooie:changed platforming as it is, also solid history with Nintendo due to Rare once being 2nd party with them and was even among the N64 faces as he appeared on the box with:ultmario::ultdk:and:ultpikachu:

Then we get to Terry Bogard. If you know SNK is already popular and a huge legacy with gaming as a whole and their iconic poster boy Terry Bogard is no exception his series being one of the inspirations for Smash such as shield block which makes sense since Sakurai is a fan and played the games.

So that said the last DLC fighter should fit into this category. Ryu Hayabusa is a runner-up being among the last NES all-stars and strong history with Nintendo.
Shin Megami Tensei was kind of the first monster catcher series (not game, that's DQV, but dedicated series), so that's kind of a thing too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Terry is pretty much the main reason we even have Smash bros to begin with. Having him in makes complete sense.

Himiko

Smash Apprentice
So, if we're talking about Samurai Shodown, wouldn't Haohmaru be Nintendo's or Sakurai's obvious choice for a character? Imagine if they have added Chun-Li insted of Ryu in smash 4 or Tails instead of Sonic in Brawl, that would make sense for you?
Well thing is is, haohmaru isn't very popular. He was 9th in the SNK character popularity poll, and even in this thread's poll he only has 1 vote. Nakoruru is also a poster girl for Samurai Shodown and apparently has even been a mascot for SNK at times. In her own right and she would be an amazing addition to Smash Ultimate and would still make sense given her popularity in the Samurai Shodown franchise. In the two examples you gave, I feel like neither would make sense, but I believe Nakoruru's case is different given the popularity disparity between her and Haohmaru and how significant she is to Samurai Shodown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom