• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
And with all due respect to Bandai Namco and their fans, their franchises would be less earth shattering reveals than the likes of Cloud and Banjo. It would fit the cycle of Smash reveals having a tepid end.
It might not be earth shattering, but I think people would appreciate seeing a 2nd Bandai Namco rep. If the next rep is a Bandai Namco rep and Nintendo saves the last spot for a big reveal character. It’ll help cushion the blow of not revealing a jaw dropping reveal.

So I think Bandai Namco has a good shot at the 4th DLC spot.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
That said... Nintendo isn't exactly known for saving the best for last.
Yeah Smash isn't exactly known for "saving the best for last", they usually tend to throw out their big guns either first or in the middle most of the time.

At this point, I'm just hoping for either Layton or Phoenix to make it in. Both would be great but I'm not going to push my luck there unless we get a second fighters pass confirmed at that point...

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Yeah Smash isn't exactly known for "saving the best for last", they usually tend to throw out their big guns either first or in the middle most of the time.

At this point, I'm just hoping for either Layton or Phoenix to make it in. Both would be great but I'm not going to push my luck there unless we get a second fighters pass confirmed at that point...
It's not just Smash, though. I mean, the last two DLCs for Mario Tennis Aces were Fire Piranha Plant and Dry Bowser, of all things.

But yeah. Phoenix is the last character I'm holding onto, at least for Ultimate. There's Crash, kind of, but I don't seem him being as likely with another platformer in the FP and, to be honest, I haven't been into Crash for some time. Maybe the remaster will reignite my want once I play it.

I think a second FP is not impossible, but I think it's unlikely.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
In Smash 4 they sort of the did try to finish off with a bang by revealing the “ballot” winner. For me though, Bayonetta wasn’t that appealing and paired with Corrin it was a rather mediocre and disappointing end. The peak of Smash 4 newcomers was with Ryu and Cloud.

I would have to agree with the sentiment that Bamco doesn’t have anything particularly exciting. At least to me. Lloyd is cited as a front runner, but another JRPG character I feel would be in poor taste consider 2 out of 3 we’ve gotten so far are JRPG characters. If Banjo really is the peak of the pass, then a Namco character would really fit the downward trend we usually see in the smash cycle. As for Capcom though, they still have a lot of exciting choices like RE or Dante. Not sure if those could reach Banjo/Cloud levels of hype, but they’ll be well received.

I’m honestly hoping Mii Costume theory is false. Other companies have so many interesting characters and it wouldn’t be fun being constrained just to Capcom and Namco.

StormC

Smash Hero
Keeping in mind that fighter 5 could be shown at the VGA, I feel we might see the RE character there. SUPER SMASH BROS. X RESIDENT EVIL would be huge for general gaming audiences.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Some meaningless stats I came up with at work:

Persona 5 was released 2016 in Japan, 2017 in North America.
Dragon Quest 11 was released 2017 in Japan.
Rare Replay was released 2015.
Undertale was released 2015 in English, 2017 on consoles, 2018 on Nintendo Switch.
Crash Bandicoot: N Sane Trilogy was released in 2017 and ported to other consoles in 2018.
NieR Automata was released in 2017 (and vied for the GOTY award with Persona 5).
DOOM was released in 2016.

What does all this mean?

Absolutely nothing. But it was fun to research.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
I haven't kept up with leaks or anything nor plan to as they ruin the fun. Right after Banjos announcement my final guesses we're that Capcom and Namco would be getting characters.

Capcom: Phoenix Wright (Announced at Tokyo Game Show), or Resident Evil character

Namco: Tales of Rep.

Persona and Dragon Quest both got the more recent protagonist, so Tales of Might as well.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
I can see why another earth-shattering reveal needs to happen, but I doubt this means another "soft reactions" character can't happen, much less after Erdrick just happened.

If the next reveals are NamcoXCapcom (didn't resist to make the joke), it's possible for them to work like these last ones. Have the Tales/Tekken character do the small reactions while Phoenix or any of the Capcom guys take the big one.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I haven't kept up with leaks or anything nor plan to as they ruin the fun. Right after Banjos announcement my final guesses we're that Capcom and Namco would be getting characters.

Capcom: Phoenix Wright (Announced at Tokyo Game Show), or Resident Evil character

Namco: Tales of Rep.

Persona and Dragon Quest both got the more recent protagonist, so Tales of Might as well.
Velvet would be fantastic. Plus she'd bring a totally unique style, and Berseria came out in 2016 so she's right around the right time frame...

StormC

Smash Hero
Velvet would be my choice for a Tales character but I’m 100% sure they would pick Lloyd or Yuri.

A.G.L.

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7451-1877-0896
What are the chances that the new Tales of Arise protagonists being the Bandai Namco rep? Perhaps Dahna and Rena could be our 4th DLC character.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think they final two characters will come from Bandai Namco and Koei Tecmo.

Bandai Namco is the really odd company in this DLC so far. They helped make Smash Ultimate and so far they only have Pac-Man and not even a Mrs Pac-Man costume. It would be really shocking to see if this DLC came and went without a second Bandai Namco reveal. If I had to guess it’s either going to be Jin from Tekken or Lloyd from Tales.

Also Koei Tecmo already has an assist trophy is Smash Ultimate. And they are mentioned in the end credits. Due to the relationship Koei Tecmo has with Nintendo and how iconic Ryu Hayabusa is from the NES era. I think this is a safe bet, but who know.
Koei Tecmo co-owns Fatal Frame along with Nintendo, but its a good step into the game I think :b (it seems suspicious that there is no Hyrule Warriors or FEW content but I would doubt any of it is DLC)

Edit. Nevermind I read it wrong originally, I think they have a nice shot and while Hayabusa would make my wishlist complete, Im satisfied.

Last edited by a moderator:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
What are the chances that the new Tales of Arise protagonists being the Bandai Namco rep? Perhaps Dahna and Rena could be our 4th DLC character.
Far too recent. Same reason I don't think Edelgard or a new Pokemon will make it. 2017 seems to be the cutoff.

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
Velvet/Lloyd/Yuri + Phoenix Wright for the last 2 character would be so much hype for me, even more than Banjo.
Besides, I think we need a female character in the DLC (Yes Kazooie is there but still), don't ask me why I just feel like it.
The perfect Fighters Pass for me 5/5.

StormC

Smash Hero
Velvet/Lloyd/Yuri + Phoenix Wright for the last 2 character would be so much hype for me, even more than Banjo.
Besides, I think we need a female character in the DLC (Yes Kazooie is there but still), don't ask me why I just feel like it.
The perfect Fighters Pass for me 5/5.
My bet right now is on Jill Valentine. I think Nintendo and Sakurai are aware of the optics of no playable DLC female characters outside of an assist (Kazooie). With no female Erdrick alt, I think we will see Jill, whether by herself or as part of RE characters grouped together with alts.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
My personal belief is that the tier list for Tales characters if we get one is this:

Lloyd = Yuri > Velvet >> Cress = maybe Luke, I dunno >>> Pretty much anybody else. Kratos (regardless of who gets in, but a lock if we get Lloyd), and the guy who's banned from popularity polls like Yuri is would be the most likely Mii Costumes.

Lloyd is the Banjo of the Tales games, Yuri is the Cloud. Both of them would be very good additions, but it's based on whether Sakurai wants to please the Smash Fandom (Lloyd's been desired since Brawl) or the general public (again, Yuri is banned from popularity polls because he kept curbstomping them.). For what it's worth, Lloyd has already been negotiated for in regards to Smash, but Yuri's going to attract more of a new audience, I think. I would rather Lloyd out of anybody I just listed, by a very large gap as I'm not familiar with them on an individual level like Lloyd, but since this isn't Arle I won't throw a hissy fit over Yuri/Velvet's inclusion.

Then we have Velvet, who seems to be pretty popular but more importantly is from the most recent game. She could be the one, too, but I don't quite see her getting in before characters who are more popular, be it with the Smash fandom or in general. I see her as the "Master Chief" to Lloyd's Banjo and Yuri's Steve, except if Steve was much more popular as a person. She's also a girl newcomer, who would be extremely unique compared to Isabelle, the only other "unique" newcomer as dictated numerically, which I could see as a plus.

Cress I put there because he's the original, but can't think of a good reason besides that to put him in over Lloyd, Yuri, or even Velvet. Luke's game is apparently liked pretty well, too? But to be honest, my bubble is exclusively Symphonia, so I might be speaking out of bias (and ignorance) when I say this: I really don't see a reason for him to get in over Yuri or Lloyd, or Velvet. If anybody more versed can explain why the others stand a chance, please do speak up.

----

On contrast, I don't think there's a universe where we get a Tekken character who is not Heihachi, nor a Digimon character who is not Agumon. Soul Calibur is more debatable, but I'm pretty sure Nightmare still has a decently sized lead. If there are up-and-coming candidates for Bamco I didn't mention out of ignorance, do tell!

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
My bet right now is on Jill Valentine. I think Nintendo and Sakurai are aware of the optics of no playable DLC female characters outside of an assist (Kazooie). With no female Erdrick alt, I think we will see Jill, whether by herself or as part of RE characters grouped together with alts.
That would be actually sick, because that means Leon as an alt, and probably Chris as well (Please no).
Also I'd be funny to see Chris and Jill being the same height.
I feel like Chris would be the "main" character of the group, followed by Jill, Leon, and Claire.

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
I feel like Chris would be the "main" character of the group, followed by Jill, Leon, and Claire.
For other games, e.g. Marvel v. Capcom, I would agree, but RE4 being a timed exclusive for the Gamecube was a big deal back in the day, so I'm willing to bet Leon would be the face of the group.

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
After thinking about it, I'm starting to doubt the common belief that Bamco and Capcom are going to be the last 2 characters. I can't imagine Nintendo looked at a bunch of companies and was like "who can we take from Sega? What about Bandai Namco? Who can we get from Square Enix?" I'm sure the first things thought about were who the fans want and who's big in gaming right now.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
After thinking about it, I'm starting to doubt the common belief that Bamco and Capcom are going to be the last 2 characters. I can't imagine Nintendo looked at a bunch of companies and was like "who can we take from Sega? What about Bandai Namco? Who can we get from Square Enix?" I'm sure the first things thought about were who the fans want and who's big in gaming right now.
Namco and Capcom both have several popular series and IPs though.

D

Deleted member

You know that franchises like Resident Evil, Monster Hunter, Phoenix Wright, Dark Souls, Tales are among the things that fans want and are big right now, right?

Last edited by a moderator:

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
Namco and Capcom both have several popular series and IPs though.
You know that franchises like Resident Evil, Monster Hunter, Dark Souls, Tales are among the things that fans want and are big right now?
Yeah sorry about my post, what I was trying to say was phrased badly.

What I meant was we aren't locked down to getting a Bamco and Capcom character as the last two fighters, and if we do get a character from either company, they were not chosen based on who owns them.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
For other games, e.g. Marvel v. Capcom, I would agree, but RE4 being a timed exclusive for the Gamecube was a big deal back in the day, so I'm willing to bet Leon would be the face of the group.
Even in Marvel vs. Capcom Jill came before Chris.

ChronoKatie

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cocobrien
Switch FC
7004 2762 0628
I honestly hope Mii costume theory is wrong even though it makes a ton of sense. Personally, I find Dante, RE character and Tales rep to be unexciting picks, but it would also mean Nintendo specifically chose four of the fighter pass characters just so that they could sell the costumes for the extra cash alongside them. It makes sense, sure, but it just feels so limiting. Here is hoping the sky is still the limit.

... Ironically, my most wanted right now is a capcom character, Amaterasu. Haha

D

Deleted member

Overall for Smash, my order of preference RE-wise would be:

Jill=Leon>Chris>Nemesis=Wesker>Claire>Anyone else

Both Jill and Leon appearances in the series is a bit more broad and in many cases they can demonstrate a lot more stuff from the series as a whole rather than Chris or Claire.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
I honestly hope Mii costume theory is wrong even though it makes a ton of sense. Personally, I find Dante, RE character and Tales rep to be unexciting picks, but it would also mean Nintendo specifically chose four of the fighter pass characters just so that they could sell the costumes for the extra cash alongside them. It makes sense, sure, but it just feels so limiting. Here is hoping the sky is still the limit.

I only recently played Okami for the first time a few months ago and that game is beautiful.

Ammy would be an amazing addition. I know most people would probably want Phoenix as the next Capcom character, but she would be my first choice.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero

Yeah sorry about my post, what I was trying to say was phrased badly.

What I meant was we aren't locked down to getting a Bamco and Capcom character as the last two fighters, and if we do get a character from either company, they were not chosen based on who owns them.
I sincerely doubt they picked characters specifically to sell costumes. It just worked out that way and honestly I think there's a low chance they sign on another company after Microsoft. Eventually it's just too much licensing for one game. It just works out because Capcom and Namco have so much in their vaults that they can use.

ChronoKatie

Smash Journeyman
NNID
cocobrien
Switch FC
7004 2762 0628
Assuming the final reps are indeed Bamco and Capcom, who would you want, friends?

I'd say Kos-Mos and Amaterasu respectively.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Assuming the final reps are indeed Bamco and Capcom, who would you want, friends?

Kos-Mos (Xenosaga) and Dante (from the Devil May Cry Series)

I don't believe either of them are terribly likely, but it's nice to dream once in a while.

Flyboy

Smash Hero

Phoenix Wright and either Velvet Crowe, Lloyd Irving, or KOS-MOS. Phoenix is my most-wanted, Velvet is my most-wanted Tales rep, Lloyd would make one of my friends very happy, and I love Xenosaga and another friend has KOS-MOS as her most-wanted. Plus they both want Phoenix too. It'd be a win all around.

D

Deleted member

You know, whenever they give out more info on Hero, that Mii Costume theory could very well be over if Nintendo decided to sell an RPG themed mii outfit pack that has Lloyd's Mii Costume in it.

Nightmare is my obvious BN pick.

While I don't want a Capcom character in the Fighter Pass, Dragon's Dogma is personally my favorite Capcom game, so I'll be down for the Arisen if they could make it work. I hope Itsuno will eventually work on a sequel to Dragon's Dogma after DMC 5.

Nquoid

Smash Ace
Leon/Pheonix/Lloyd/Heihachi/Ryu Hayabusa all seem like the safest, most logical choices. All have strong ties to Nintendo (apart from Heihachi). All from companies involved in Smash Ultimate.

But whilst I would be happy with a combination of those 5, I think because they are so safe and logical, it would definitely lack the oomph that Banjo and even 4x DQ Heroes had at E3

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

Agumon and Jill Valentine. Not a contest for me.

Nightmare and Lloyd Irving are runner-ups for Bamco. Dante and Morrigan are runner-ups for Capcom.

frozolloyd

Smash Apprentice

Personally I hope it would be Velvet/Lloyd from Bandai Namco and Amaterasu for Capcom. Velvet would probably be the most unique sword fighter Sakurai could pick from the Tales series, Lloyd would be the first twin swordfighter in the game and is the most "Nintendo-like" character they could pick from the Tales series and Amaterasu would be a pretty unique pick, as she is a another much needed bipedal fighter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom