• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yeah, sorry, should have specified. What numbers did I confuse it for, though? I remember seeing sales charts for a western platformer with a few million sales in Japan... Crash maybe? Now I'm curious. Will number crunch for a while. Be back in a bit.
I dont know. It's true Crash sold more. I dont know too much about it though. But even if banjo didnt sell that well in japan it's still a decently popular character there.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think to make a parallel between Persona and Tales popuarities isn't right, considering that the popularity of Joker was essentially Japanese, top 1 in 2017. This isn't the case with Lloyd. That's why I chose to compare Lloyd with Isaac.
No, as per your original point, you chose to compare all "heroic fantasy JRPG reps", because that is the requisite you created through which to judge Corrin's reception. All these characters apply, and if you want to further subcategorize that's moving the goalposts. Your point was that because he was offered 2nd after Cloud (even though Cloud himself wasn't the first JRPG DLC character) he would inherently disappoint.

But as per that link, if Joker is number 1 (in Japan), and they're still happy with the DQ Hero, I guess your theory is bunk. Cloud was disparaged because he was Mr. Playstation, not Mr. JRPG, and Corrin was looked down upon for the reasons I initially stated, the ones you didn't address.

But even if we did get Isaac or Lloyd, they'd still be better received than Corrin.

What's interesting to see is that contrary to popular belief in the West, the Japanese care about Banjo just as much as the west does. The franchise did surprisingly well here considering how poorly the N64 did in Japan. And many Japanese Smash fans were just as excited for Banjo as their western counterparts. In fact, many of them had Banjo as their number 1 pick as well, and were more excited for him than Yuusha in fact:

Not saying people weren't excited for DQ, of course they were. But I often see people say that "Japan doesn't care about Banjo" when that couldn't be further from the truth. Japanese Smash fans like the Bear and Bird a whole lot. They just saw him as even more impossible than we did.
This is true too. People say that the west got Banjo and the east got the DQ Hero, but in reality Japan walked away with two characters they were hype about. Persona is bigger there too, so so far they've been pretty lucky.

Raises the question of what other western characters Japan cares about. Crash comes to mind, though personally I don't think we'll be getting him. I wonder if we'll end up getting a western character that garners little fanfare in Japan... more or less the true parallel to the DQ Hero.

Last edited by a moderator:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
For the Dragon Quest fans on this thread - out of curiosity, do you know why they specifically picked Solo as an alt instead of, say, DQI hero or DQII hero? I know that Luminary is the most recent, Erdrick is the nostalgic legend and Eight is really popular, but what about Solo?

Just genuinely curious here.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
For the Dragon Quest fans on this thread - out of curiosity, do you know why they specifically picked Solo as an alt instead of, say, DQI hero or DQII hero? I know that Luminary is the most recent, Erdrick is the nostalgic legend and Eight is really popular, but what about Solo?

I had a few wild guesses why:

Hero 5 (Madason): His iconic weapon is a staff. If Hero as a whole didn’t get more than a sword to use as a weapon, then they weren’t going to make Hero 5 a swordfighter (although he actually is) because he would lose something iconic.

Hero 1 (Descendant): The only thing I can think of is, Erdrick already represents the 80’s and the Erdrick Saga. As a bonus, since wears armor, I’m guessing he’d have to use sound files of Metal when he gets hit, while the rest uses a different one since they wear cloth.

Hero 6 (Rek): Not as popular as Solo, and he looks a tad shorter than the others. Not seemingly much, but enough for Sakurai to have to pull a Lucina on him if he were to include him.

Hero 7 (Auster): Way too short.

Hero 2 (Prince): Can’t use magic.

Hero 9 (Celestrian): Would have to have animated wings? Also, he’s a modifiable avatar. Also he’s a bit shorter as well.

Hero 10: Would he a slap to the face to western fans because the game isn’t localized. Also, if I recall correctly, you see
Very little of this character because you soon change to a fully customized one.

These are my guesses.

Last edited:

tenworldsguy

Smash Apprentice
I really hope for a character that's extremely WTF, out of nowhere, like with GaW or ROB. I get that we kinda got that with Plant, but Plant felt more like a joke character as opposed to a retro obscure character- everyone knows who Piranha Plant is, even if they aren't too into gaming. I don't dislike Plant at all (once i recovered from the shock, i praised him for being such a weird fighter), but I wish we had a better retro rep.

Who could we have chosen tho, as a proper retro rep tho?

zferolie

Smash Hero
No, as per your original point, you chose to compare all "heroic fantasy JRPG reps", because that is the requisite you created through which to judge Corrin's reception. All these characters apply, and if you want to further subcategorize that's moving the goalposts. Your point was that because he was offered 2nd after Cloud (even though Cloud himself wasn't the first JRPG DLC character) he would inherently disappoint.

But as per that link, if Joker is number 1 (in Japan), and they're still happy with the DQ Hero, I guess your theory is bunk. Cloud was disparaged because he was Mr. Playstation, not Mr. JRPG, and Corrin was looked down upon for the reasons I initially stated, the ones you didn't address.

But even if we did get Isaac or Lloyd, they'd still be better received than Corrin.

This is true too. People say that the west got Banjo and the east got the DQ Hero, but in reality Japan walked away with two characters they were hype about. Persona is bigger there too, so so far they've been pretty lucky.

Raises the question of what other western characters Japan cares about. Crash comes to mind, though personally I don't think we'll be getting him. I wonder if we'll end up getting a western character that garners little fanfare in Japan... more or less the true parallel to the DQ Hero.
I think more people in the west are happy for DQ rep then people think. Its just the vocal part is more meh about it.

As for western characters japan likes, crash and spuro are big ones. I know shantae is very popular in japan as well. Lara croft i beleive is semi popular?

Personally i think they should have went with the female version of solo. Looks quite unique plus getting that 1 female hero would have been nice.

Dq4_Heroine.jpg

I know the male is used more but it would have been cool to get the female to spice things up. Plus she has a cool unique design from the other swordmen

Ornl

Smash Ace
No, as per your original point, you chose to compare all "heroic fantasy JRPG reps", because that is the requisite you created through which to judge Corrin's reception.
The original point is "How not to provoke the disappointment of the players with another heroic fantasy JRPG hero ?". Corrin effect was an example to express the disappointment of the players.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The original point is "How not to provoke the disappointment of the players with another heroic fantasy JRPG hero ?". Corrin effect was an example to express the disappointment of the players.
It's not an example because people didn't really care about that. Maybe at most an extreme minority, but 99% of the hate came from somewhere else.

They were hated because they were yet another Fire Emblem character and because the game wasn't overseas. The genre itself wasn't really relevant at all. Oh, right, and they were done for promotional purposes too. Thankfully that's not really why we've had characters lately in Smash among the DLC. They all are majorly interesting characters. They're just tied to a more current game, moreso based upon their specific character design than anything else. It's more like the "promotional" part is kind of a bonus, not the core reason(unlike Corrin and Roy, who were literally chosen due to promotional reasons as the core reason).

Your original point is still wrong.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I'm of the opinion that we probably won't get any more JRPG characters in the fighters pass. We have a modern JRPG character and a classic JRPG character, having a third one would be too much imo. A good diversification of characters is needed if Nintendo wants to reach as many audiences as possible.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Japan sales between Dragon Quest and Banjo aren't similar.
Then, total sales that are accounted for Banjo are valued at 7.5M units sold (Banjo-Kazooie 0.55M in Japan).
Dragon Quest has x10 more (series 78M ; DQIII all editions 5M in Japan).
VGChartz is not a reliable source.
The answer is simple: don't add a character as hated as Corrin, don't add obviously promotional characters, and don't add characters from oversaturated franchises. Those were the reasons Corrin was hated.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'm of the opinion that we probably won't get any more JRPG characters in the fighters pass. We have a modern JRPG character and a classic JRPG character, having a third one would be too much imo. A good diversification of characters is needed if Nintendo wants to reach as many audiences as possible.
I kinda hope your right. JRPG's are fun and all and certainly have a lot of iconic characters. But I kinda want to see some new genre's in place that haven't really been explored as much.

Guess we'll see what Sakurai has in store for us next...

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think more people in the west are happy for DQ rep then people think. Its just the vocal part is more meh about it.
I wouldn't be sure about that. If anything, the people online are generally the ones more likely to get behind characters from less prevalent series, which in the west, Dragon Quest is.

As for western characters japan likes, crash and spuro are big ones. I know shantae is very popular in japan as well. Lara croft i beleive is semi popular?
Crash yes, Spyro not so much. They botched his localization and hindered him from catching on. Most of his games haven't even released there.

Shantae being popular in Japan is something Shantae fans generally like to say, but it's not true. It went from "Shantae is more popular than Shovel Knight in Japan" to "Shantae is popular in Japan" to "Shantae is very popular in Japan". In reality, Shovel Knight's one game has surpassed the combined sales of her whole series over there. And it's not like Shovel Knight is huge there either.

Lara Croft I can't comment on... any proof or numbers to back up that claim?

And of the seven JRPG characters that have released as DLC, you think the reception to Corrin sets the standard rather than proves an exception? And you think that reception is due to his genre rather than his series or the reasoning behind his inclusion?

zferolie

Smash Hero
I wouldn't be sure about that. If anything, the people online are generally the ones more likely to get behind characters from less prevalent series, which in the west, Dragon Quest is.

Crash yes, Spyro not so much. They botched his localization and hindered him from catching on. Most of his games haven't even released there.

Shantae being popular in Japan is something Shantae fans generally like to say, but it's not true. It went from "Shantae is more popular than Shovel Knight in Japan" to "Shantae is popular in Japan" to "Shantae is very popular in Japan". In reality, Shovel Knight's one game has surpassed the combined sales of her whole series over there. And it's not like Shovel Knight is huge there either.

Lara Croft I can't comment on... any proof or numbers to back up that claim?

And of the seven JRPG characters that have released as DLC, you think the reception to Corrin sets the standard rather than proves an exception? And you think that reception is due to his genre rather than his series or the reasoning behind his inclusion?
Im not going to say dq is as big as ff or banjo in the west, but i feel its not as bad as some people online like to say.

I know shovel knight sold more, but that game got a lot more publicity and marketing then the shantae series i think. As for popular, i see a lot of art and talk from japanese about shantae, and gets decent sales. She is known there decently, and i feel they wouldn't mind seeing her appear.

As for Lara, i dont have total numbers for the whole series. The first game sold 7 million worldwide, and the 2013 reboot sold 35k its first week in japan. Again, more research is needed.

For a character that would be huge in japan and not huge here for sure would be Reimu. So many japanese gamers know of tougou but is niche at best here. Wonder if they would do that as dlc though

Super Flygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Master_Zach
3DS FC
1289-8257-7574
Switch FC
SW-5750-9817-6593
Here's my updating prediction for when I think the rest of the DLC will be announced and released:

Early to Mid July 2019: Hero release
Late September to Early October 2019: Banjo release
Game Awards 2019 (Early December 2019): 4th DLC character announced with a release of Mid to Late December 2019 (Final Smash Ult Direct is also announced)
Mid to Late December 2019: Final Smash Ult Direct, with 4th DLC character releasing at the conclusion. Final character announced and shown off.
Late February 2020: 5th DLC Character released

What do you guys think about this? So far, the gap between DLC has been about 2 and a half months. I predict the 4th and 5th characters to be Lloyd Irving and Crash Bandicoot. Crash would be a good way to bookend Smash Ultimate (although Nintendo usually doesn't save big ones for last....).

EDIT: Also want to point out that it would be cool to get the final announcements (or almost the final announcements) at the Game Awards because we saw the first DLC character at the Game Awards last year.

I'm sure people might not liking waiting until December for new character reveals, but we did just have to wait 6 months for Hero & Banjo to get revealed. Piranha & Joker around the same time, Hero & Banjo 6 months later and then 4 & 5 roughly 6 months after that. It's not like #4 and #5 would get released anytime soon, so it is better to wait until after Banjo is released for the announcement.

Last edited:

Ornl

Smash Ace
It's the effect, the consequence that's important, and development team will undoubtedly take care not to disappoint again, even if the reasons can be different. However, the genre is important in Ultimate now there is a new heroic fantasy JRPG character . How could another character of this same genre have any chance in Ultimate?

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Regarding genres, I tried to see what categories other highly speculated/requested characters fall under. If you don't count RPG and platformer (which we already got for DLC), most of them fit into:

- Action (Resident Evil, Ninja Gaiden, Viewtiful Joe, Okami)
- Adventure (Professor Layton, Phoenix Wright, Okami)
- Fighting (Tekken, Soul Calibur, KOF, Samurai Shodown)

I think those three genres have a big chance, especially if Nintendo wants to diversify the appeal of the Fighter's pass.

Ah, there's something else. I think it's most likely just a coincidence, as Nintendo and Sakurai go for DLC thinking about characters first and not companies, but I noticed that all DLC so far are from specific studios that weren't in Smash yet.

- Joker, while being a Sega character, is from Atlus first and foremost (Sonic is from Sega proper and Bayo is from Platinum).
- Dragon Quest was created by Enix, before it fused with Squaresoft to become Square Enix. So now we have characters from both "sides" of the company.
- Banjo is, obviously, from Rare, which used to be second party but was bought by Microsoft.

So maybe a character from the Bandai side of Bandai Namco could be a sleeper pick, since we have Pac-Man from the Namco side? Or maybe this increases the chances of all-new companies like Level-5 and SNK?

Dunno, just realized this and thought I'd share for fun.

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
Assuming the final reps are indeed Bamco and Capcom, who would you want, friends?

I'd say Kos-Mos and Amaterasu respectively.
KOS-MOS because we don't have a female in the fighter pass and since Namco is most likely next there's really no reason to not have her. She would be unique and DQ Hero already makes Lloyd look bad, imo. Not saying that to hate on Lloyd fans... it's just I dont want sword characters back to back.

I think my second pick... assuming it's going to be Capcom is Jill Valentine for more female representation plus she makes so much sense. If it's not Capcom then maybe a Nintendo character could work.

merchantofsalt

Smash Apprentice
In my opinion, for the remaining two DLC characters, it goes something like this:

Highly Likely:

Monster Hunter. It's weird that it hasn't happened yet, but Capcom has announced its intentions to develop a Monster Hunter game specifically for the Switch. They may be waiting for this announcement. And MonHun is massive.

Resident Evil. It's an iconic franchise with many games on Nintendo systems, and I don't think objections about games with "graphic violence" are valid anymore. It's just a matter of asking Capcom.

Devil May Cry. The collection is coming to Switch, and Dante is a highly-requested character. I'm sure they'd have no problem accepting. However, the above Capcom properties likely take priority over DMC.

Moderately Likely:

Dark Souls. DS Remastered was ported to the Switch, Bandai-Namco already has a character in the game, and the Soulsborne series is widely considered a modern classic. It has enough goofy humor (of its own brand) to fit in Smash Bros.

Tekken. Another massive Bandai-Namco property, the second-biggest name in fighting games, and a no-brainer inclusion for a Heihachi vs Ryu dream match. However, if it hasn't happened by now it's probably because there isn't much interest.

Less Likely:

Puyo Puyo. A massive Sega property in Japan, but virtually unknown in the West. Normally I would rank this higher, but Nintendo seems to be going for universally crowd-pleasing inclusions this time around.

Tales. Anime swordsmen and Smash Bros. have a love affair, plus this is a storied and recognized Bandai-Namco property, but there isn't a protagonist to really sell the series on Nintendo, unless you count fan-favorite Lloyd.

Monster Hunter Stories. The Pokemon-esque MonHun spin-off was introduced on the 3DS. If Capcom is developing a Switch-exclusive sequel, we might get this instead of regular MonHun.

Astral Chain. The new, Switch-exclusive PlatinumGames title has two protagonists that seem perfectly-suited for Smash. However, Nintendo seems to have learned its lesson regarding introducing newcomers just as a marketing tactic.

Yo-Kai Watch. Again, big in Japan, but relatively unsuccessful elsewhere. If the 3DS were still relevant I would see this as very likely in order to give the franchise a push in the West, if nothing else.

Minecraft. The fact that they went and chose Banjo, the underdog fan-favorite, over the massive Minecraft franchise, says a lot about where Nintendo's priorities lie. I don't see this as likely anymore.

Mortal Kombat. This would be a huge crowd-pleaser in the West, but elicit shrugs from Japan, which already happened with Banjo. Plus, I think there might actually be a limit to graphically violent franchises in Smash Bros.

Nintendo. I think at this point it's clear that all DLC characters will be third-party on account of the hype they generate. If a Challenger Pack 2 eventually materializes, we'll probably get more Nintendo characters.

Indies. If it hasn't happened yet, it probably won't by now. Cuphead and others might find their way in as Assist Trophies, which would be neat.

D

Deleted member

Regarding genres, I tried to see what categories other highly speculated/requested characters fall under. If you don't count RPG and platformer (which we already got for DLC), most of them fit into:

- Action (Resident Evil, Ninja Gaiden, Viewtiful Joe, Okami)
- Adventure (Professor Layton, Phoenix Wright, Okami)
- Fighting (Tekken, Soul Calibur, KOF, Samurai Shodown)

I think those three genres have a big chance, especially if Nintendo wants to diversify the appeal of the Fighter's pass.

Ah, there's something else. I think it's most likely just a coincidence, as Nintendo and Sakurai go for DLC thinking about characters first and not companies, but I noticed that all DLC so far are from specific studios that weren't in Smash yet.

- Joker, while being a Sega character, is from Atlus first and foremost (Sonic is from Sega proper and Bayo is from Platinum).
- Dragon Quest was created by Enix, before it fused with Squaresoft to become Square Enix. So now we have characters from both "sides" of the company.
- Banjo is, obviously, from Rare, which used to be second party but was bought by Microsoft.
Capcom would probably break the pattern if they get another Fighter. Aside from Okami with Clover Studios, Capcom has a lot of games developed under their own names. The same probably goes for Tekken too.

The other franchises mentioned however have at least a different studio and/or company that doesn't have a fighter in Smash.

-Ninja Gaiden with Team Ninja and Koei-Tecmo
-Professor Layton with Level-5
-Soulcalibur with Project Soul
-KoF and Samurai Shodown with SNK

Any of the 4 would make Smash into a much greater crossover for studios and companies.

So maybe a character from the Bandai side of Bandai Namco could be a sleeper pick, since we have Pac-Man from the Namco side?
Bandai seems to have a lot of licensed games under their brand, so I'm not too familiar with a lot of their own IPs. Perhaps Digimon's the only feasible candidate to represent Bandai's side of things?

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
If we get a second Fighter Pass (which I do think will happen) I do hope it’s all first party characters.

StormC

Smash Hero
What's interesting to see is that contrary to popular belief in the West, the Japanese care about Banjo just as much as the west does. The franchise did surprisingly well here considering how poorly the N64 did in Japan. And many Japanese Smash fans were just as excited for Banjo as their western counterparts. In fact, many of them had Banjo as their number 1 pick as well, and were more excited for him than Yuusha in fact:

Not saying people weren't excited for DQ, of course they were. But I often see people say that "Japan doesn't care about Banjo" when that couldn't be further from the truth. Japanese Smash fans like the Bear and Bird a whole lot. They just saw him as even more impossible than we did.
This is such a great video. I remember arguing with someone here who lived in Japan saying people wouldn't care about Banjo. I knew that was wrong.

Not a DQ fan myself, but I imagine they wanted a character from each decade of the series.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Capcom would probably break the pattern if they get another Fighter. Aside from Okami with Clover Studios, Capcom has a lot of games developed under their own names. The same probably goes for Tekken too.
"Limits are meant to be broken!"

But yeah, that's why I think it's more of a coincidence than a pattern. Still fun to talk about.

Oh, also: I thought Clover was defunct? So technically, everything falls under the same umbrella now, doesn't it?

-Ninja Gaiden with Team Ninja and Koei-Tecmo
-Professor Layton with Level-5
-Soulcalibur with Project Soul
-KoF and Samurai Shodown with SNK

Any of the 4 would make Smash into a much greater crossover for studios and companies./QUOTE]

Not to mention please all new demographics. Especially Layton and the fighting game characters (of which Ryu and Ken are the sole members currently in Smash... along with Little Mac, technically).

Bandai seems to have a lot of licensed games under their brand, so I'm not too familiar with a lot of their own IPs. Perhaps Digimon's the only feasible candidate to represent Bandai's side of things?
The only other property of Bandai's I know that isn't a licensed game is .hack, but not only would that be another JRPG, it's really niche over here, from what I've seen. They would probably just go with Tales instead in that situation.

D

Deleted member

They are kinda the ones that share the most skills and physique of the bunch.

1 lacks lighting spells which is a trademark from Erdrick (3) onward.

2 doesn't learn any spells

5 while popular and knowledge of spells, doesn't share a lot of the skillset of the other protagonists including again lightning

6 is the other possible option but between 4 and him, 4 is arguably a bit more popular

7 is a kid, so while he shares skills he would need to be aged up

9 is a bit shorter, and for some reason they focus a lot on his angel features.

10 Im a bit in the dark since its not localized, but there are rumors of a new english version

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Well... Ness and Lucas don't learn most of the PK abilities they use for specials in their own games, do they? I remember a similar issue with one of the Pokémon (forgot which).

Nevertheless, you and the other people who answered my original post all brough up a lot of stuff. Thanks!

So basically, from what i understand now, Solo was chosen basically via elimination? Eh, they already put the most recent, most popular and the most iconic protagonists with him, so I think DQ fans are probably very happy with the results. Besides, Solo's sword looks really cool.

Since I'm on the topic, can I just take a moment, as a non-DQ fan, to say how much I think that making "Dragon Quest the character" instead of simply picking a main character from Dragon Quest was a genius move on Sakurai's part?

EDIT: Not to mention it makes the character harder to leak. I don't know why SE didn't add Solo and Eight to their leakbait. That's some 4D chess right there.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
They are kinda the ones that share the most skills and physique of the bunch.

I presume you mean besides having Fireball and Firebane(A.K.A. Hurt and Hurtmore).

I also noticed that the spells are far more of a small set akin to a Red Mage, not one focused on any particular thing. Just your typical "all around Hero". I feel like DQ1 is more of a unique situation, as the Hero Class is more focused on something specific in each game, but I never played any main game besides 1 and 2, so I could be vastly misinformed here.

I also wonder if the DQ1 Hero doesn't have the right proportions. Could you(in spoilers) show a picture of Luminary and Erdrick's Descent side by side? Cause I think this could be part of why).

D

Deleted member

There is that Sylux, FE three houses rep (forgot which one it was) one that is still standing as far as I'm aware but that's more or less it.

Any other insiders that predicted the DLC correctly so far haven't revealed or hinted the identity of character 4 and 5 though as far as I'm aware.

There is also Vergeben who apparently still stands by that minecraft content is coming, but its that, content, not necessarily character specifically, so it could also be a Spirit or Mii costume or something I suppose...
Which kind of makes me wonder, could said Minecraft content possibly come with Banjo-Kazooie?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Which kind of makes me wonder, could said Minecraft content possibly come with Banjo-Kazooie?
Most likely yeah. Microsoft is credited under Banjo Kazooie. So we're probably getting a mii costume or two outside of Banjo Kazooie. A Steve Mii Sword fighter sounds likely. Maybe even a Master Chief gunner...

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I presume you mean besides having Fireball and Firebane(A.K.A. Hurt and Hurtmore).

I also noticed that the spells are far more of a small set akin to a Red Mage, not one focused on any particular thing. Just your typical "all around Hero". I feel like DQ1 is more of a unique situation, as the Hero Class is more focused on something specific in each game, but I never played any main game besides 1 and 2, so I could be vastly misinformed here.

I also wonder if the DQ1 Hero doesn't have the right proportions. Could you(in spoilers) show a picture of Luminary and Erdrick's Descent side by side? Cause I think this could be part of why).
The way I understand, Hero's special attacks all seem to have menus or swaps of their own, somehow. The one they show is for neutral special, but he has two spells for recovery (one with the tornado and the other is Zoom), three counters (Bounce, Kaclang and Kamikazee) and the lightning spell and Karackle Slash don't appear in the neutral special menu, so I'm assuming it's side special.

I have absolutely no idea how the hell this is going to work if that is really the case. It's like Custom Moves, but you swap them at will in the middle of a match.

StormC

Smash Hero
Guys what are the chance to got a second fighters pass ?
Low.

Nintendo is pretty conservative with paid DLC. They almost never have it for more than a year. They've also never said anything besides "fighters pass," not even the term "season pass" which would imply more than one.

As of February 2020 when the last fighter is released, Sakurai will have been working on Smash more-or-less nonstop for eight years. He talked about in his recent book how he wasn't really a big fan of doing DLC and only did it because Nintendo asked him to. And at some point, you are going to get diminishing returns; less and less people will pay for characters the more are released.

I'm like 95% sure we are only getting the single Pass. Best to not expect much because otherwise you could be waiting eight months (or more) for nothing.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Not sure worth talking and still likely fake but

Thought I would bring this back

https://boards.fireden.net/_/search/text/Joker Smash/type/op/end/2018-12-06/

Well now it has 2 or 3 correct

Joker correct

Banjo is correct

While the square wasn’t pointed correct it wasn’t confirmed if it was Chrono or not to whoever.

So Edelgard and Sylux perhaps it would fit a list like smash 4 was

Last edited:

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
I really don't think we're getting another Bandai Namco rep.

People talk about Tales versus Tekken, but Tekken is much bigger than Tales is. Plus we already have two JRPG franchises this Fighter Pass with Persona and Dragon Quest. I would expect Lloyd and Yuri Mii Costumes though.

As for Tekken, if it weren't for Heihachi's character being retired (due to the voice actors death), he would be a shoo-in. But I think the nod in Pac-Man's taunt is all we're going to get. There's still a chance here, but not a big one. Regardless, the Mii Costume will likely come back.

If we're only going to get Japanese fighters this Pass, It's Ryu Hayabusa and either Jill or Leon facing off against Dante. However western fighters definitely have a chance here. Specifically Crash Bandicoot and Doom Slayer.

So yeah, I'd rank the top five most likely characters as being Crash Bandicoot, Dante, Doom Slayer, Jill Valentine/Leon Kennedy (tied) and Ryu Hayabusa. So yeah, I'd expect Activision, Bethesda, Capcom, and Koei Tecmo before Bandai Namco.

Last edited:

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
I really don't think we're getting another Bandai Namco rep.

People talk about Tales versus Tekken, but Tekken is much bigger than Tales is. Plus we already have two JRPG franchises this Fighter Pass with Persona and Dragon Quest. I would expect Lloyd and Yuri Mii Costumes though.

As for Tekken, if it weren't for Heihachi's character being retired (due to the voice actors death), he would be a shoo-in. But I think the nod in Pac-Man's taunt is all we're going to get. There's still a chance here, but not a big one. Regardless, the Mii Costume will likely come back.

If we're only going to get Japanese fighters this Pass, It's Ryu Hayabusa and either Jill or Leon facing off against Dante. However western fighters definitely have a chance here. Specifically Crash Bandicoot and Doom Slayer.

So yeah, I'd rank the top five most likely characters as being Crash Bandicoot, Dante, Doom Slayer, Jill/Leon (tied) and Ryu Hayabusa. So yeah, I'd expect Activision, Bethesda, Capcom, and Koei Tecmo before Bandai Namco.
Isn't Dante hardly deconfirmed?
Also, don't we have enought retro NES characters?

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Not sure worth talking and still likely fake but

Thought I would bring this back

https://boards.fireden.net/_/search/text/Joker Smash/type/op/end/2018-12-06/

Well now it has 2 or 3 correct

Joker correct

Banjo is correct

While the square wasn’t pointed correct it wasn’t confirmed if it was Chrono or not to whoever.

So Edelgard and Sylux perhaps it would fit a list like smash 4 was
"My source also sent me a video with uncompleted models of some characters. I'll post it as soon as Nintendo calms down, as they are pretty cautious because the recent datamining. Stay tuned. "

The thing about this leak is that the quote stated that he will post the uncompleted models of these characters as soon as Nintendo settles down in which the leaker has yet to do so which made me thought that this could be fake.

I'll say that there is some merit in which this leaker somewhat got Joker and Banjo correctly, but I still remain sceptical on the remaining two DLC characters (even though I still would like Edelgard.)

Last edited:

KingBroly

Smash Lord
That All-Star Glitch that happened when Joker came out. The one where if you played All-Star with certain characters on a certain SD card, the game would stop loading characters, crash and delete your save file.

The theory I remember reading was that because they happened with the Mii Swordfighter and Duck Hunt, it was because those characters were being used as bases for DLC. With the reveal of the Hero and Banjo-Kazooie, I think this theory should be revisited. What other characters had the All-Star mode Glitch occur with?

andree123

Smash Ace
I don't think that Sylux is getting in due to Metroid Prime 4 getting restarted.
He might been chosen before Metroid Prime 4 was delayed and he might be added in one of the updates but I hope that he will be a fighter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom