• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Y'know that's kinda redundant for Reggie to say; as all veterans are in Ultimate, there can only be newcomers that are thus entirely new to the series. Maybe he just meant what we (tho maybe not the general public) already knew.

...Maybe unless he said it so it meant new series here??? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
That's the whole point. He wasn't trying to give us some great insight into the other DLC fighters, he was just throwing out marketing lingo to build hype. While he may (and probably does) know who the other DLC characters are, they're clearly trying to keep things close to the vest so I'm sure he specifically kept his language as vague as possible.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm kind of doubtful on Western developers outside of maaaaybe Microsoft at this point, especially indie developers. If Shovel Knight was given a hard no despite allowing the liscensing and production of Amiibo, does anyone really have a chance? I could see Shantae squeaking by just because she's already technically in and Nintendo's close relationship with WayForward but I don't think it's likely. My thoughts on Western developers largely come from Nintendo treating Ubisoft like a kid brother despite being one of their biggest supporters since the Wii so I don't think they'll climb the fence to negotiate something with someone like Bethesda or Blizzard as people have suggested.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I'm kind of doubtful on Western developers outside of maaaaybe Microsoft at this point, especially indie developers. If Shovel Knight was given a hard no despite allowing the liscensing and production of Amiibo, does anyone really have a chance? I could see Shantae squeaking by just because she's already technically in and Nintendo's close relationship with WayForward but I don't think it's likely. My thoughts on Western developers largely come from Nintendo treating Ubisoft like a kid brother despite being one of their biggest supporters since the Wii so I don't think they'll climb the fence to negotiate something with someone like Bethesda or Blizzard as people have suggested.
Since Shovel Knight is an Assist Trophy and Shantae's creators tried to start up her campaign again I'd say Quote is the only indie character that's still on the table (but even then the chances are negligible). As for Ubisoft and Bethesda characters, I'd say that Rayman and the Dragonborn have a pretty decent shot. the Dragonborn would actually be a really good marketing move considering how popular Skyrim is. As far as I know Blizzard has absolutely nothing to do with Nindendo so I highly doubt we'd get something like Tracer or the Lich King.

Including Activision? :0
Assuming they own both Spyro and Crash, I don't think either would be entirely out of the realm of possibility.

shocktarts17

Smash Ace
Since Shovel Knight is an Assist Trophy and Shantae's creators tried to start up her campaign again I'd say Quote is the only indie character that's still on the table (but even then the chances are negligible). As for Ubisoft and Bethesda characters, I'd say that Rayman and the Dragonborn have a pretty decent shot. the Dragonborn would actually be a really good marketing move considering how popular Skyrim is. As far as I know Blizzard has absolutely nothing to do with Nindendo so I highly doubt we'd get something like Tracer or the Lich King.

Assuming they own both Spyro and Crash, I don't think either would be entirely out of the realm of possibility.
You're missing the point, its not about their characters being popular, its about the Japanese company preferring to work with other Japanese companies for logistical reasons. So hes suggesting that potentially Microsoft would be the only western company with enough clout to be worth the extra effort that it would require.

Personally I think that unless they went to Microsoft for Banjo & Kazooie I doubt we would even see anything from them as well.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
You're missing the point, its not about their characters being popular, its about the Japanese company preferring to work with other Japanese companies for logistical reasons. So hes suggesting that potentially Microsoft would be the only western company with enough clout to be worth the extra effort that it would require.

Personally I think that unless they went to Microsoft for Banjo & Kazooie I doubt we would even see anything from them as well.
Oh I get the point. I just disagree. It might just be optimism, but I don't see characters being thrown out just because their company is not based in Japan. Even if I'm wrong in the end I'll still find speculation more fun without this wierd restriction that can't be proven one way or the other.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Including Activision? :0
I don't even know if Activision is even on Nintendo's radar. Look at all the third party companies in Smash. They've all had long-standing and close relationships to Nintendo with exclusives and crossovers galore. I say Microsoft is different because it's now kind of the equivalent of SEGA was to Nintendo in the 90's and if that want to partner up, that's a big deal.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Personally I believe the only western companies with good enough odds are Microsoft (only for Banjo & Kazooie) and Ubisoft (only for Rayman). Beyond them I doubt western third-parties have any real chance.

Midoriki

Smash Cadet
I don't even know if Activision is even on Nintendo's radar. Look at all the third party companies in Smash. They've all had long-standing and close relationships to Nintendo with exclusives and crossovers galore. I say Microsoft is different because it's now kind of the equivalent of SEGA was to Nintendo in the 90's and if that want to partner up, that's a big deal.
Given that there are already Nintendo characters in Skylanders that came with Skylander-Amiibo hybrid figurines, I'd be very surprised if Nintendo didn't at least think about how much money they could make by including Crash or Spyro as a DLC fighter and doing another such collaboration. Skylanders may not sell as well as Minecraft as a game series, but the figurine sales put it above Minecraft in terms of revenue. (according to Wikipedia)

Of course Digimon is even higher than Skylanders on that list, and Nintendo has also done hardware collaborations with Bandai-Namco, so if I were Nintendo looking for a DLC pick that will bring in additional hardware revenue on the side I'd go with Agumon for the ease of logistics if nothing else.

D

Deleted member

In the case of Western characters, I would actually be comfortable in calling Rayman extremely likely, considering how close Nintendo and Ubisoft have been lately if not for the fact that he's a spirit. It sort of leaves him in purgatory until we get any sort of confirmation whether they deconfirm or not.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Yeah Rayman being both playable in Brawlhala and a spirit in Ultimate doesn't exactly increase his chances, not to mention apparently being not too popular in Japan. But like Activision, Ubisoft have had at least one actual crossover with Nintendo characters (Rabbids/Mario, Skylanders/Mario).

DefinitelyNotSascha

Smash Cadet
While he's not really one of my top picks for characters and I don't find him likely for DLC at all, I just think Dark Matter has a lot of potential and moves to pull from. Plus, I also find him the most interesting and relevant Kirby-villain of them all. So I decided to put together a moveset for him, enjoy ^^ :

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
While he's not really one of my top picks for characters and I don't find him likely for DLC at all, I just think Dark Matter has a lot of potential and moves to pull from. Plus, I also find him the most interesting and relevant Kirby-villain of them all. So I decided to put together a moveset for him, enjoy ^^ :

Godot from Ace Attorney.

Dark Matter was one of those characters that I wanted for Smash but seemed very unlikely due to his lack of support, falling into similar camps like Pig Ganon or Captain Syrup or until recently Porky. I'm surprised at how much it's gotten in Smash. I mean it's just a Legendary Spirit status and a player avatar, but that's about as much as Geno got.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
DLC development started when Overwatch stopped being the big shooter anyway.

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
My predictions for the Fighter Pass: After Joker, we will get Kiryu, Crash, Spyro and Sora.

Yes, I do believe that the Fighter Pass will be a huge disrespect on PlayStation.

Last edited:

jokermelee

Smash Apprentice
i haven't really posted in this thread before, during the Ballot i was a big supporter of Master Chief, but switched over to Black Shadow and Doomguy half way through it
although with the recent tweet by Frank O'Conner, i don't think Chief has a chance. (although he was a pretty big pipe dream if i'm being honest)

it's sad to see a possible deconfirmation of a character you supported in the ballot

Flyboy

Smash Hero
i haven't really posted in this thread before, during the Ballot i was a big supporter of Master Chief, but switched over to Black Shadow and Doomguy half way through it
although with the recent tweet by Frank O'Conner, i don't think Chief has a chance. (although he was a pretty big pipe dream if i'm being honest)

it's sad to see a possible deconfirmation of a character you supported in the ballot
The Travis Touchdown supporters also were dealt a deconfirmation from SUDA51 himself, so I feel your pain. Even seeing total pipedreams deconfirmed is a shame.

jokermelee

Smash Apprentice
RIP, Dante seemed like he would be a cool contrast to Bayonetta, but i guess Nintendo had other ideas for the choices of the DLC

Yokta

That's Yoktastic!
Why do you think this?
I didn't say it was a confident prediction.

To be honest, I just want Spyro to be in the Pass, and this theory is the only way I can conceivably see that happening.

But remember that the characters in the Fighters Pass were selected by Nintendo initially. What other reason would they have to permit the inclusion of a PlayStation exclusive protagonist?

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
I didn't say it was a confident prediction.

To be honest, I just want Spyro to be in the Pass, and this theory is the only way I can conceivably see that happening.

But remember that the characters in the Fighters Pass were selected by Nintendo initially. What other reason would they have to permit the inclusion of a PlayStation exclusive protagonist?
Because Atlus is woned by SEGA who already have characters in the game and its possible they want Persona on the Switch?

JKincaid

Smash Rookie
I'm actually expecting Vega in this season pass. He's the only Street Fighter character with a remixed theme that's not in the game.
I'm excited. He was my main in pretty much every Street Fighter and the character I learned fighting games with. Every time I play a new fighting game I look for someone similar to him. That character was Meta Knight but I'm not very good with him.

I could see him bringing over something like the command inputs, except with his traditional charge motions. The charged versions would have new properties, like Flying Barcelona Attack having a hitbox on the way up and Rolling Crystal Flash being projectile intangible

I'd main him in a heartbeat

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
I'm actually expecting Vega in this season pass. He's the only Street Fighter character with a remixed theme that's not in the game.
I'm excited. He was my main in pretty much every Street Fighter and the character I learned fighting games with. Every time I play a new fighting game I look for someone similar to him. That character was Meta Knight but I'm not very good with him.

I could see him bringing over something like the command inputs, except with his traditional charge motions. The charged versions would have new properties, like Flying Barcelona Attack having a hitbox on the way up and Rolling Crystal Flash being projectile intangible

You're expecting him based on a single remix even though music is a major part of each DLC fighter pack? I wouldn't base the likelihood of a fighter on that at all.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Vega’s in the game, he’s a Spirit.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Well, there is also the fact that the one DLC character so far is from a company who already has characters in Smash (Sega). Perhaps it makes negotiating easier? Beyond that, I'd agree they wouldn't add characters from western companies.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
With what's going on with Toei and Dragonball Fighterz... I hope now more than ever that Goku never gets into smash.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
With what's going on with Toei and Dragonball Fighterz... I hope now more than ever that Goku never gets into smash.
Some tournaments have been ended due to low entries and Toei is blocking others. Basically the game is dying competitively.

Ornl

Smash Ace
Reggie told the VGAs that the DLC characters will be from series we have "never seen in Smash, whatever the form".
Sakurai wants to integrate characters that are "unique" and "different" into the Smash Bros. environment.
There are only 12 new fighters for Ultimate, it seems obvious that these 12 elected are each from different series, and different publishers for non-Nintendo content. No license will have had 9 or 4 non-Echo representations : Mario/Pokemon 8 - Zelda 6 - Fire Emblem 5 - DK/Metroid/Kirby/Starfox 3. Not 4.

-> Bye bye Travis Touchdown, Master Chief, Dante + Konami, Sega, Monster Hunter, Lloyd Irving, Heihachi Mishima, Rayman... and all the characters of the Nintendo licenses already represented. Rareware ? Be careful... King K. Rool and Krystal were created by Rareware.

Happy holiday season!

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Reggie told the VGAs that the DLC characters are from series we have "never seen in Smash, whatever the form".
Sakurai wants to integrate characters that are "unique" and "different" into the Smash Bros. environment.
There are only 12 new fighters for Ultimate, it seems obvious that these 12 elected are each from different series, and different publishers for non-Nintendo content. No license will have donated 9 or 4 non-Echo representations : Mario/Pokemon 8 - Zelda 6 - Fire Emblem 5 - DK/Metroid/Kirby/Starfox 3. Not 4.

-> Bye bye Travis Touchdown, Master Chief, Dante + Konami, Sega, Monster Hunter, Lloyd Irving, Heihachi Mishima, Rayman... and all the characters of the Nintendo licenses already represented. Rareware ? Be careful... King K. Rool and Krystal were created by Rareware.

Happy holiday season!
I read that a couple of times and couldn’t figure out what you meant.

Ovaltine

Smash Master
Reggie told the VGAs that the DLC characters are from series we have "never seen in Smash, whatever the form".
He said that the Fighter's Pass characters themselves will be new to Smash. Not once did he say that they would be characters that haven't been in Smash 'whatever the form', nor did he say they'd only be from new series. He left his response open-ended and vague, and it's still uncertain exactly what he meant by the statement.

Please don't spread misinformation.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
When we say "in Smash" we mean "playable". Who's to say Reggie didn't think that as well?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Honestly, it came off entirely as "they haven't been playable before". It seemed pointless to even say that, as it's a duh. Of course we aren't getting any Veterans. It felt redundant. I'm not expecting characters who never appeared(even a cameo) in Smash because that's not what he literally said either. The problem is his statement was pretty vague, but it's most likely he meant they obviously aren't veterans. Sounds more like a mistranslation of the intent that Nintendo and Sakurai had. Being not all vets were DLC last time, it was probably just referencing that they indeed will be regular newcomers. No different from the rest we've gotten.

It is possible it's characters who didn't appear so far in Smash Ultimate, but have in previous games too. There's just way too many ways to take it, so it's silly to think there's no way he could mean anything but "have never made a single appearance in Smash in general" when there's more than one valid way to take it. Sure, he was right entirely about how Echoes worked, but he also was pretty darn clear on what they were like. The most vague part was "general parameters" when talking about how they work, and that wasn't too hard to figure out either. It also wasn't a situation where DLC is vastly different from being expected. There have so far been zero picks that are clearly for promotional purposes. Which were more expected than unique options that stand out on their own merits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom