• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

If it happens, it happens, but since last time was an exception, I believe that TGA isn't our next reveal, at least until more info comes up.
Like I said, anyone is still fair game until Verge says the Gospel. Regarding Sabi, I have doubts for her, though she's just hiding tracks.

TGA is The Game Awards right?

As for Geralt, if he's fine then I want Sam & Max: Freelance Police in Smash.
Of bloody course.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
It'd be great if assuming its true that Doom Slayer gets revealed at the VGA and then in January in we get a mini-direct regarding the amiibos notably we get Geno revealed.

Flik

Smash Journeyman
made an acc just to say everyone’s sleeping on siegfried from soul calibur for potential namco rep i feel like it might be impossible because of how niche soul calibur is but i’m still holding out hope :,)
Soulcalibur is no more niche than Fatal Fury, I'd say there is a chance.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Thinking about Sam and Max, how would their gameplay work?

Would they be more like Ice Climbers, Rosaluma or a third more faithful option where the player only controls Sam while Max does his own thing?

D

Deleted member

Last edited by a moderator:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
It probably won’t happen, but I hope we get multiple Namco characters in the future. I think Heihachi, Chosen Undead & Lloyd all deserve it. If we actually get 10 more characters, I hope they do that.

I’m not a Namco fanboy or anything but I think all 3 of those characters could be pretty fun, as well as repping iconic Japanese series which is Sakurai’s current goal.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
It probably won’t happen, but I hope we get multiple Namco characters in the future. I think Heihachi, Chosen Undead & Lloyd all deserve it. If we actually get 10 more characters, I hope they do that.

I’m not a Namco fanboy or anything but I think all 3 of those characters could be pretty fun, as well as repping iconic Japanese series which is Sakurai’s current goal.
If I had to have my hunch I've got a feeling we'll be getting Heihachi and Lloyd at least. Whether DLC 5 or post-Pass.

D

Deleted member

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Looks like TGA's are where the next reveal will likely be.
Let's not give her any room for doubt. Is this actually implying a Smash reveal or some other video game? I don't want Sabi to have any excuses if this doesn't happen.

blackghost

Smash Champion
if the reveal does happen at the TGAs characters like geno are out. it would be something the general gaming audience would react to: lara, dante, doomslayer, crash, ect. these more vague suggestions wouldn't be revealed there.

I really dont know if Amaterasu would fit there. her game has sold 2.6 million copies as of now but it has been released at least 5 or 6 times. ps4, ps2, wii, wiiu, xbox, and the 360 over the course of 2006-2018. people talk about okami a lot, no one bought that game. during its releases, it only approached 600k total sales once. sometimes it sold as little as 18k.

its like how everyone talked about mirrors edge but no bought it or its sequel. even though its a much better game than a certain new package delivery game.

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
With 2B, I always imagined Smash simply closing up the cut of her skirt slip and angling it so that the camera can't view underneath it, but since it's been thrown around lately, the "paint it black" tights idea grew on me. Especially since it'll be another Astral Chain connection (although these are optional):

I care about the characters more than the dead-on accuracy of their attire, so a slight alteration is nothing (and sometimes outright better looking). It sucks that people are freaking out over women being excluded because of their clothing. Mai was an extreme example that they didn't bother working around, but it isn't going to be like that for everyone else.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
So for some quick Terry impressions, I already said I think he's fun (relearning some inputs in the context of Smash was really gratifying, especially Buster Wolf). However, I do think that as far as Smash gameplay is concerned, I feel he's a bit too technical for most players (ironic given he's the simplest character in FF and one of the simplest in KoF), meaning that I already feel he won't be a top tier - high at best.

Also, I could be wrong on this one, so feel free to correct me... but in those few hours of playing him, I can't help but feel like he struggles a bit against floaty characters and pure zoners who wall him out with projectiles. Problem is, some of the characters in the latter category are high or even top tier, so I dunno how Terry will fare in the long run.

I am curious to see if MKLeo will give Terry a spin, since he was able to make the most out of Joker - another character who is really technical at high level.

osby

Smash Obsessed
if the reveal does happen at the TGAs characters like geno are out. it would be something the general gaming audience would react to: lara, dante, doomslayer, crash, ect. these more vague suggestions wouldn't be revealed there.

I really dont know if Amaterasu would fit there. her game has sold 2.6 million copies as of now but it has been released at least 5 or 6 times. ps4, ps2, wii, wiiu, xbox, and the 360 over the course of 2006-2018. people talk about okami a lot, no one bought that game. during its releases, it only approached 600k total sales once. sometimes it sold as little as 18k.

its like how everyone talked about mirrors edge but no bought it or its sequel. even though its a much better game than a certain new package delivery game.
1573136266683.png

Not that I think she's likely but at this point, we have a genuine reason to not bother with sales numbers too much.

Untouch

Smash Master
Not going to deny that I'm biased here, but DOOMguy makes the most sense as a TGA reveal to me.
Just comparing the other reveals, Joker stood out the most to me, he was the most shocking by a considerable margin.
Terry, Banjo and Hero wouldn't be too shocking if they opened with them at TGA, they're significantly more Nintendo oriented than Joker.

TGAs not being Nintendo oriented means the audience was a lot broader, meaning they needed a character that appealed to a broader audience as well. Joker fits that bill and DOOMguy does in my opinion too. Both Joker and DOOMguy appeal to an audience that'd be watching the TGAs, but may not watch Nintendo directs. (Terry also fits this bill I feel, but I don't think they'd open with Terry, he's much more niche and the audience is more suited towards an EVO reveal.)

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I think the TGAs reveal would be someone related to that event. Joker might’ve been shown there because Persona 5 was nominated for GOTY the year before.

Doom was nominated in 2016. Monster Hunter: World was nominated in 2018. Resident Evil 2, Devil May Cry V & maybe Kingdom Hearts 3 could be nominated this year. Crash: Team Racing was revealed at the TGAs last year.

KatKit

Smash Lord
Smash has officially gotten the Psycho Soldier theme stuck in my head for the past day or so.

It's just too catchy.
They kept the 80's Japanese superhero feel to it, and that's part of its charm. It held up really well, and I'm glad that people love it. It's my favorite vocal track in Smash, and I like how it's the very first one in any video game ever. Smash is the first remix version to add the vocals since the 90's, IIRC. Athena really feels apart of the roster. She was one of my most wanted SNK characters, and they did her so much justice.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I think the TGAs reveal would be someone related to that event. Joker might’ve been shown there because Persona 5 was nominated for GOTY the year before.

Doom was nominated in 2016. Monster Hunter: World was nominated in 2018. Resident Evil 2, Devil May Cry V & maybe Kingdom Hearts 3 could be nominated this year. Crash: Team Racing was revealed at the TGAs last year.
I don't think that's exactly a requirement, but either way Sora would make a lot of sense if we got another TGA reveal - though I feel like Sora, being a very big deal - is better suited for opening next season instead of closing this one.

Gamma Ray

Smash Apprentice
Mythra's spirit itself was censored to cover her boob window and tights were put on her legs..Pyra's wasn't, so her's might actually be fine since those are shorts (they could be lengthened though).
With CERO specifically paying attention to upskirts, I do find it interesting Mythra was censored in a way that prevents exactly that. Just for the spirit a slightly longer skirt would've been more than enough, but instead they decided to cover up her legs entirely. It's kinda odd since they were far more generous with other spirits regarding the amount of skin being shown.

Not saying this definitely means she will appear as a fighter in one way or another, but I find it quite interesting and noteworthy regardless.

Last edited:

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
Us saying 'Hype Responsibly' isn't us trying to silence you or rain on your parade, its us trying to tell you not to get your hopes up on something you see as a certainty only to be devastated if it ends up becoming false.
Alright yeah your right, but it just really feels like this is his time, he’s not a lock but he is VERY likely.
Doom is as likely as Isaac after (1) Golden Sun trademark, (2) Rathalos tweet, (3) the sprout item, (4) the Grinch, (5) the long time before being finally announced as AT. There were so much for him and, yet, here we are. Temper yourself, if your boy is in, at least you'll be happy; because you will fall hard in the opposite case. That's just a friendly advice from someone who got hurt by the hype.

On the 5th fighter, if the announcement is done in the VGA, I'm slowly reducing my expectations of Phoenix Wright. He's not iconic enough from a global point of view, only for Nintendo fans. Other niche characters may have a lower chance too, like KOS-MOS, or characters that are mostly known in Japan, like a Tales char.

I could see Doomslayer or Crash. Maybe even 2B or Sora. I'm also placing a bet on Steve, whatever we can say on the fact that MS already gave Banjo: Sakurai stated that he found Minecraft awesome, and Terry presentation is one more proof that Sakurai is adding what he loves.

That's considering the 5th character is a "big" figure and shown in the VGA. If he is instead shown in a Nintendo Direct, I feel anyone is still in the race.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Dunno why with this VGA talk people forget about 2 very likely candidates, Dante and Leon/Jill. Which are games that are quite popular and also will have presence on the awards with RE 2 Remake most likely having a shot at GotY along Ultimate.

blackghost

Smash Champion
View attachment 245651

Not that I think she's likely but at this point, we have a genuine reason to not bother with sales numbers too much.
did you miss the context of what i said? if the reveal is at TGAs that is indicative of who they are revealing. ammy isnt that big a character. I put the sale numbers to support what i stated. joker being shown at the game awards last year was huge beyond just smash echo chambers. banjo... not as much. ironically the people asking who terry was were just exposing their ignorance none of the DLC have been nobodies.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Doom is as likely as Isaac after (1) Golden Sun trademark, (2) Rathalos tweet, (3) the sprout item, (4) the Grinch, (5) the long time before being finally announced as AT. There were so much for him and, yet, here we are. Temper yourself, if your boy is in, at least you'll be happy; because you will fall hard in the opposite case. That's just a friendly advice from someone who got hurt by the hype.
Or he is just a likely as Banjo & Kazooie where the same points towards Isaac also applied for those two.

I'm gonna hype for Doom Guy and if he doesn't come, I don't have much to lose for it since I already got Banjo & Kazooie. Doom Guy would be a nice bonus.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Sabi just seems like she’s desperate for attention. I know she got a lot of stuff right at E3 for MS, Ubisoft & Square but has she gotten any Nintendo stuff right? More specifically, any Smash stuff?

Vergeben is the only named leaker that I trust tbh.

Last edited by a moderator:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I decided to come out and confess it: I'm also an insider. Here's my first leak:

Something exciting will be revealed come next E3.

Plank08

Smash Lord
I just got really excited, yeah I’ll temper myself a little bit, it’s just hard to with all this evidence, it just seems like a Banjo/Ken situation here rather than a Isaac one

Plank08

Smash Lord
Also, if Doomslayer( Or whoever #5 is) does get in smash, when do you think he’ll be announced? Game awards? Dec 7? January?

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
If the next fighter is gonna get revealed at the game awards then there's a good chance we'll be in the dark until their reveal. Remember how all the insiders messed up and didn't know about Smash being shown on last year's game awards?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom