• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
I bet a part of Sakurai wishes he could've added Iori instead. But the bias only goes so far. ;P
In terms of practicality, I'm sure he could have gotten pretty much anyone he wanted from SNK. They've been very diverse in terms of their guest characters (Fighting Ex Layer got Terry, but then Tekken got Geese, DOA6 got Kula and Mai, Million Arthur got Iori, Soul Calibur 6 got Haohmaru, Mobile Legends apparently got an Athena skin, etc.)

In terms of fan recognition... He probably would have done nearly as well with any of SNK's bigger characters, honestly. Terry, Iori, Athena, Nakoruru, or one of the Metal Slug cast would all probably have about the same presence these days. Terry was the 'classic mascot', granted, but he was never a requisite choice.

Doesn't excuse sexism. Shulk is far more naked than Mai. Hell, Cammy's spirit is far more skimpy.

Ultra Street Fighter 2 is rated E10, and in the included digital art book, Cammy has a visible camel toe. Also in the 30th anniversary collection, in the bonus artwork, there are crudely drawn, but clear boobs and nipples on one of the Chun Li concept images. Still E10.
By E10, I'm assuming you mean ESRB E10+?

I don't believe you can directly compare CERO and ESRB on this front (even moreso due to CERO lacking a direct equivalent for E10+... B sits between that and T).
CERO is apparently obnoxiously harsh on anything considered 'Sexually Provocative', and Nintendo seems deadset on getting an A rating. :-/

Though with all that in mind, I still say that some of the art of Mai from Gals' Fighters should have still been able to get a pass spirit-wise if nothing else, but eh...

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Man it's been a while since the ESRB. That was the video of Bowser Jr. and Ganon right? How quick were they to take that down?
No that was the leak of everyone. Shulk, Duck Hunt, cut ICs, EVERYTHING. **** was wild dude.

That's also where "Shulk is just a photoshopped Little Mac" came from.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I know the popular theory is that Mai got shafted due to CERO concerns/complaints, but keep in mind that nothing we've heard points to that. It's just as likely that Sakurai himself decided not to even bother risking it, considering Mai's infamous status.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I keep seeing things on the “leak” about how Nintendo haven’t taken it down therefor it must be fake.

Guess the picture of Ken, pichu, ivysaur, and Pac-Man a year ago was fake too! They never deleted the Ken leak. Just saying, if that’s your reason for “fake” you better find better evidence.

that being said, I never believed it. So cheers!
That was a picture, but it was taken down?

Wait, then why was the Ken leak still up?
Pictures usually stay up, videos usually come down. When Nintendo is capable of taking them down, at least.

I'm not going to say it's a "rule", but that's generally what happens.

I know the popular theory is that Mai got shafted due to CERO concerns/complaints, but keep in mind that nothing we've heard points to that. It's just as likely that Sakurai himself decided not to even bother risking it, considering Mai's infamous status.
In the Japanese video he said it was CERO-related.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I think Mai's issue is less about her being naked and more about her swinging her boobs in your face (They could get away with not having her do that since most of the cameo characters are just standing there anyway). Though I suppose if they had issues with Wonder Pink of all characters then there's no way Mai would fly.

I'm kinda curious as to why CERO's ratings are so strict in terms of sexual content. As far as I've heard Japan's incredibly lax with it otherwise (to the point where magazines with naked people one them are in reach of children in their stores).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Pictures usually stay up, videos usually come down. When Nintendo is capable of taking them down, at least.

I agree it's generally the pattern for them to remove real leaks, but it's weird how Ken leak was kept up if ESRB was concentrated.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

I find it odd they didn’t take down videos focused on the image.

Are we sure it’s not automated?

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I think Mai's issue is less about her being naked and more about her swinging her boobs in your face (They could get away with not having her do that since most of the cameo characters are just standing there anyway). Though I suppose if they had issues with Wonder Pink of all characters then there's no way Mai would fly.

I'm kinda curious as to why CERO's ratings are so strict in terms of sexual content. As far as I've heard Japan's incredibly lax with it otherwise (to the point where magazines with naked people one them are in reach of children in their stores).
This is where my issue with sexism comes.
The freaking EXISTENCE of boobs is not sexual.
If she were doing something with them, yea. But just standing around with above average sized cleavage should not be considered sexually provocative.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
There’s literally no way that leak is fake, we have proved that multiple times, and if it was another Bethesda character, the mii costume would be Doomguy himself, I doubt Sakurai would only go for a random enemy as doom representation for something as iconic as doom, I really think doom guys in
Yeah, but we've said that before about other false leaks.
- Rayman in Wii U/3DS
- Grinch Leak
Those two in particular were seen as 'absolutely, positively true' couldn't be 'disproven' with 'literally no way' they could be fake and yet they were.
What I'm saying is that you should never, under any circumstance, believe a leak unless it came from the ineptitude of Nintendo themselves, such as was the case with Castlevania & SNK in Smash being leaked by them their selves prior to reveal.
Its not hard to fake costume mods in Smash, not even Smash Ultimate, and if people wanted to make a convincing leak and had the skill, they would clearly make unique models.
Beyond that, Cacodemon is kind of Doom's mascot and there is a possibility of two Doom Mii Fighter costumes, if two, its not outside the realm of possibility.
Us saying 'Hype Responsibly' isn't us trying to silence you or rain on your parade, its us trying to tell you not to get your hopes up on something you see as a certainty only to be devastated if it ends up becoming false.
Nakoruru deserves better.

Better than being deconfirmed as a possible playable character.
1) No one 'deserves' to be in Smash.
2) I'd rather have her as a Mii Fighter than not at all, which seems the most likely situation.
3) I doubt we'd get another SNK character for Smash and the one we got was always going to be Terry, obviously. Sadly, Haohmaru would likely be chosen over her..main character bias and all.
I know I'm late, but I am legit annoyed that Sakurai / Sora / Bandai-Namco / Nintendo thought that Mai was too *****-licious for a friggin' CAMEO. Shulk literally has a costume in his goddamned undies, but Mai has too much thigh? Double ****ing sexist standard.
If you ask me, this is the real sexism. Thoughts @Lesley Black Velvet ?
Sorry, that's just the reality of the world we live in. Females, both in real life and in fiction, are constantly under more scrutiny than males are, especially in regards to outfits, cleavage, butts and crotch, legs, etc.
That said, what Shulk wears isn't too different from Zero Suit Samus' alts while Mai shows off her cleavage, butt, and thighs and the CERO ratings board is stupid strict on that stuff.
Raise the rating. There is no evidence that game rating affect sales at all.
Not how it works, I'm afraid. I mean, I agree with you, but publishers often have 'rules' about what rating their characters can appear in, so honestly, I'd be willing to bet that many companies, especially the Pokémon Company (since they are very strict about this stuff) demands that their characters not appear above a certain age rating and lets be honest, if the choice is having a character like Pikachu playable versus having characters like Mai and Tharja appear in 3D models, they are clearly going to choose Pikachu.

D

Deleted member

If she were doing something with them, yea. But just standing around with above average sized cleavage should not be considered sexually provocative.
I mean we got Blue Mary and she's probably a few cup sizes above average, but she also happens to be more covered up than Mai.

Last edited by a moderator:

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
He name drops CERO in the JP stream. Specifically Keeping the CERO A rating.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Ugh. This sexualizing cartoons **** really gets under my skin. CERO can kiss MAI ass.

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman
I keep seeing things on the “leak” about how Nintendo haven’t taken it down therefor it must be fake.

Guess the picture of Ken, pichu, ivysaur, and Pac-Man a year ago was fake too! They never deleted the Ken leak. Just saying, if that’s your reason for “fake” you better find better evidence.

that being said, I never believed it. So cheers!
What are you talking about? Ken isnt in Smash.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I agree it's generally the pattern for them to remove real leaks, but it's weird how Ken leak was kept up if ESRB was concentrated.
Well the ESRB leaks that were in picture form, to my memory, stayed up. I'm sure you could probably still find some. The pictures predated the videos by at least a few days, iirc.

It was just the videos Nintendo pulled down.

I find it odd they didn’t take down videos focused on the image.

Are we sure it’s not automated?
I honestly have no idea what the specifics of their system is, I just know the divide seems to be between pics and videos.

Oh, okay, I stand corrected. Do you have an exact quote perchance?

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Sakurai being the massive SNK fanboy he is must've be pretty annoyed if CERO straight up told him he couldn't even put Mai as a background cameo due to her overly sexual nature.

So annoyed he would make a sarcastic remark about her absence

I am entirely convinced this is what happened.

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
As far as the video leak goes, the longer it stays up makes me not believe in it, as convincing as it looks! I don’t think that Doom Guy is the fifth character at all. If anything, I’m betting more so on a Bandai or Capcom character to make it as that fifth DLC slot that Doom Guy.

He could still should up as one of the first post fighter pass characters but as the fifth fighter. Nah, I don’t think so. I’m more so betting on either Lloyd, Leon/Jill (either or), Dante, or Heihachi as the frontrunners for that fifth slot.

Of course I’ll make a brief mention of Sora, as he would be great finisher character, but I doubt it and hopefully he’ll be a post fighter character situation. But hey, prove me wrong Sakurai, cause I actually like it when you do it!

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Well the ESRB leaks that were in picture form, to my memory, stayed up. I'm sure you could probably still find some. The pictures predated the videos by at least a few days, iirc.

It was just the videos Nintendo pulled down.
Unrelated but I still find it ridiculous how someone managed to pull off the ESRB leak. That isn't something that can be done easily and with no repercussions.

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Not sure, I’ll get back to you when I find out.
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
I know I'm late, but I am legit annoyed that Sakurai / Sora / Bandai-Namco / Nintendo thought that Mai was too *****-licious for a friggin' CAMEO. Shulk literally has a costume in his goddamned undies, but Mai has too much thigh? Double ****ing sexist standard.
If you ask me, this is the real sexism. Thoughts @Lesley Black Velvet ?
I mean, I agree that it doesn't make sense to exclude Mai because of "sexiness", but...

What is Lesley going to do? You're preaching to the choir.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
As far as the video leak goes, the longer it stays up makes me not believe in it, as convicincing as it looks! I don’t think that Doom Guy is the fifth chapter at all. If anything, I’m betting more so on a Bandai or Capcom character to make it as that fifth DLC slot that Doom Guy.

He could still should up as one of the first post fighter pass characters but as the fifth fighter. Nah, I don’t think so. I’m more so betting on either Lloyd, Leon/Jill (either or), Dante, or Heihachi as the frontrunners for that fifth slot.

Of course I’ll make a brief mention of Sora, as he would be great finisher character, but I doubt it and hopefully he’ll be a post fighter character situation. But hey, prove me wrong Sakurai, cause I actually like it when you do it!
I'm still on team real until proven otherwise. Too much in Doom Slayer and Geno's favor anyway, plus the Mallow (and Smitty and Chokobo) costume was leaked with Goemon and Team Rocket. And I doubt those were just lucky guesses.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Unrelated but I still find it ridiculous how someone managed to pull off the ESRB leak. That isn't something that can be done easily and with no repercussions.
And I'm sure those involved suffered death by a thousand lawsuits.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace

You know what every feminists in Japan says all the time?
Follow the west. Restrict any possible dangers before they see us. Be organized like China.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I think it's bold to assume there will be a Q4 Nintendo Direct. It's been a long time since we've had one (that wasn't game specific), even longer since we had one during a year there was also a fall Direct.
I more or less keep thinking back to Rosalina/Cloud/Corrin/Bayonetta. Beyond that I kind of have a mix of Bayonetta 3/Prime 4/would Nintendo do the same thing two years in a row(?) on the mind. But yeah, I'm pretty much pulling this out of my butt and am too tired to look up and examine the dates of past Directs.

We have until February so there are a lot of potential situations that could happen. We're moving at a much faster pace of release than 3DS/Wii U.

It speaks to how early getting post-pass characters was locked in, considering the announcement was filmed... in June, probably, when only a single pass character was out.
For those reasons, I hope some of the town gossips elaborate as to when they first heard mentions of Ryu Hayabusa.

Last edited:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
With the decade coming to an end very soon, I think it would be cool if we had a character from a franchise that originated in the 2010s, especially if we get a character reveal in December at the video game awards.

What do y’all think would be a good smash character from a game series that debuted in the past decade?

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
I'm still on team real until proven otherwise. Too much in Doom Slayer and Geno's favor anyway, plus the Mallow (and Smitty and Chokobo) costume was leaked with Goemon and Team Rocket. And I doubt those were just lucky guesses.
Oh yeah, and we all said this when the Rayman video came to light and we all thought that had “evidence” towards it too with looking at the menus and stuff

People say that this is Grinch 2.0, if anything this Mii hat leak reminds more of the ArtsyOmni Rayman than it really does the Grinch leak.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I think it makes much more sense for the fifth character to be revealed on December 7th whether it's a Nintendo Direct or a 10-15 minute Smash Direct since it's you know, the anniversary for Ultimate and that #5 would have originally been the final newcomer for Ultimate if Sakurai didn't decide to keep adding more characters. Pretty meaningful if you ask me.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Oh yeah, and we all said this when the Rayman video came to light and we all thought that had “evidence” towards it too with looking at the menus and stuff

People say that this is Grinch 2.0, if anything this Mii hat leak reminds more of the ArtsyOmni Rayman than it really does the Grinch leak.
That’d be easier to fake than these hats.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I haven't been keeping up in this thread. Sari Sari , how large of a field day did you have today? And are you happy or upset that all of your threads are kind of defunct now that almost everything has been confirmed to be in the game in some form?
My SNK threads being pretty much defunct now is kind of a bummer, though it was expected to eventually happen ever since Terry's reveal. For what it's worth, they didn't get too much attention prior to the SNK leak so these last few months have been really great.

Terry is so fun to play as and the SNK song selection is near perfect. Overall I'm satisfied with how everything turned out...

...except for Kyo not being a mii costume which I will probably never get over.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Also, while I do think a Bethesda rep is looking likely right now, I wouldn't jump the shark and say it is Doomguy.

In my opinion, another likely scenario is Dovahkiin, with these Bethesda costumes.

-Doom Slayer
-Cacodemon
-Fallout Boy
-Power Armor/Daedric Armor
-Deathclaw
Dovahkiin getting in over Doom Slayer is like Steven getting in over Banjo & Kazooie.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I more or less keep thinking back to Rosalina/Cloud/Corrin/Bayonetta. Beyond that I kind of have a mix of Bayonetta 3/Prime 4/would Nintendo do the same thing two years in a row(?) on the mind. But yeah, I'm pretty much pulling this out of my butt and am too tired to look up and examine the dates of past Directs.

We have until February so there are a lot of potential situations that could happen. We're moving at a much faster pace of release than 3DS/Wii U.
I think we'll probably get a January Direct. Especially if that's when character five launches. Though something like the Corrin/Bayo Smash broadcast seems possible (though I wouldn't hold my breath). I remember the Nov Direct that revealed Cloud was following the extended period of radio silence that resulted from Iwata's passing; there was no Sept/Oct Direct that year.

And Rosalina's reveal may have been preceded by an earlier Direct, I can't remember, but that was already six years ago...

Plus, back in those days, Nintendo wasn't nearly as involved in the VGAs (back when they were bad), now it's a genuine source of possible reveals.

There was also Sakurai repeatedly bringing up his budget in various interviews; granted he have just gotten more money. For those reasons, I hope some of the town gossips elaborate as to when they first heard mentions of Ryu Hayabusa.
Oh, I would assumed he's been provided with additional capital for the post-pass characters. Not that I think that means we're going to go back to edited showcases, barring any Smash Directs I suppose. Past actual development, they're probably spending that budget on the reveal trailers.

I wouldn't be surprised if the first post-pass characters were decided as early as the beginning of this year, honestly.

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
With the decade coming to an end very soon, I think it would be cool if we had a character from a franchise that originated in the 2010s, especially if we get a character reveal in December at the video game awards.

What do y’all think would be a good smash character from a game series that debuted in the past decade?
Can we split up Final Fantasy game by game and just roll with that? >_>
If so, make it an XIV rep. Y'shtola is their go-to, but Thancred, Ryne, Alphinaud, or Alisae all make sense too. So, let's go with Hildibrand.

If FF doesn't count though, then let's make this the mobile rep.
And on that front, If we can count spin-offs as their own thing, I vote for Kirari Moroboshi from THE iDOLM@STER: Cinderella Girls.

If it has to be a completely original thing from this decade, then Yuudachi from Kantei Collection, I guess.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Nakoruru deserves better.
Eventually. Not before Terry though.

Better than being deconfirmed as a possible playable character.
Not really. They already decided she wasn't going to be playable. The only difference is, now YOU know it. You don't have to have false hope now.

Nakoruru can enter the next Smash and she's co-protagonist
Ooh, sorry. I'm afraid she's 3rd behind SV-001 Metal Slug.

It's just as likely that Sakurai himself decided not to even bother risking it, considering Mai's infamous status.
"Me bouncy!"

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

2B

Don't start; it counts.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Have you seen Mai’s idle animation? Her breasts bounce and she’s always bending over toward the camera, showing more of her swaying cleavage. It wasn’t like she was standing up straight like the other female characters. Not to mention her sideboob whenever she turns around.

1573102054327.gif

Also, her outfit is similar to Tharja’s outfit from the waist down. There’s a reason Tharja trophy was removed from Smash 4.

1573102506897.jpeg

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It's weird seeing all the SNK characters without Mai present, but at the same time, I don't really care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom