• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
The Psycho Soldier song is one of the most important historically, as it's the earliest known example of a video game song with vocals.

The Smash team paying tribute to that song in this way means they did everything they could to do it justice. Seriously, 80 different tracks put together to make one song, and it's all in one straight shot just to go the extra mile and make it sound like it came from the 80s!

Sakurai loves SNK and is most likely going to reveal just how much in a few hours. I'm more than ready to see all the love put into Terry and everything surrounding him.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
for reference

this is probably also the 80's vibe they're trying to recreate

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Any sensible person would probably be asleep in bed by now, prepared to wake up in time for Terry's presentation, or at least to watch the video if they wake up too late and miss the stream.

Thankfully, I am not a sensible person, so I'm gonna be pulling an all-nighter, playing Witcher III and watching YouTube videos until the presentation starts.
It will be 1PM in UK time when Terry's presentation starts so I should be able to watch it by then. In the meantime, I think I will play King of Fighters: All Stars on my mobile until the presentation commences.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
What's this about Psycho Soldier?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Music team went all out with a remix of the Psycho Soldier theme for Smash.
Friggin' sweet! I thought SNK had long abandoned that song at the turn of the millennium. Sure they've got songs called "Psycho Soldier" in the new ones but that's just Team Psycho Soldier's battle theme.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Psycho Solider made it in!? That gives me a lot of hope that we'll see pre-Terry/NeoGeo content.

The original song was actually given away on a pink cassette tape with the release of the Famicom version of Athena. The port of the game is hot garbage, but it is among the more unique NES/FC releases. lol

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Hopefully that means the English version won't sound like it was recorded underwater... unless Sakurai wants to be THAT authentic.

All versions for comparison

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Hopefully that means the English version won't sound like it was recorded underwater... unless Sakurai wants to be THAT authentic.

All versions for comparison
I have the SNK 40th Anniversary Collection if I really want to listen to the original.

D

Deleted member

Just when I thought I should be disappointed...why am I feeling so overhyped? Sakurai gonna fanboy for 45 mimutes straight.

IBANG KLASE KA SAKURAI. ERMAGHERD.

T*** LEEZZZ GOOO

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Though if Athena is a spirit, I wonder what look they'll go for. My favourite is the KOF 2000 one

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I guess Nintendo of America isn't going to stream it on Youtube. I'll just set up the UK one for when I get home for work.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
45 minutes until we find out what takes up 45 minutes.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
The only thing that would make me a little sad would be the return of the Heihachi Mii costume, but even that isn't enough to harsh my vibe. I can't wait to see all the crazy references and SNK history lessons.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
The only thing that would make me a little sad would be the return of the Heihachi Mii costume, but even that isn't enough to harsh my vibe. I can't wait to see all the crazy references and SNK history lessons.
Let us pray to Iwata that no major characters get slaughtered today.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Same
My biggest hope right now is for Heihachi's Mii costume to not return for the possibility of him joining in the future DLC.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I guess Nintendo of America isn't going to stream it on Youtube. I'll just set up the UK one for when I get home for work.
UK version is subbed so you can hear Sakurai's beautiful voice! :^)

KillerCage

Smash Master
I'm up!
Hopefully the North American Nintendo Youtube channel will post the live-stream soon though I do have the UK channel running as a back up.
See you guy after the live-stream!

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Last minute prediction: AiAi from Super Monkey Ball Mii costume.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
So I'm not actually the person you were responding to, but I have somewhat similar feelings so I figured I'd respond anyway.

In any case, the original post didn't actually say that only the most popular characters should be added. They said the most iconic should be added. And at least in my estimation iconicity is not the same as popularity. I don't think all that many people would say Pac-Man is their favorite gaming character. But everyone knows Pac-Man. He has reached a level of recognition and importance to the history of gaming that is hard to compare. I would guess, at least amongst contemporary gamers, that Joker is more popular. Likely by a large margin.

But when it comes to characters I want to see in Smash I'm much more interested in seeing characters I feel are iconic or at the very least historic. Especially if connected to Nintendo. Because that's just what I want Smash to be. It's what makes the most sense to me. It feels the most cohesive to me. And that's also why I wish the focus would return to Nintendo characters in general. Obviously that's not really how things have played out, but I guess that's really just to say in my perfect world the Smash roster would look very different.

As far as Terry goes, from my perspective he certainly doesn't feel iconic to me. It would be hard for him to, for me, given that I hadn't ever heard of him until Smash speculation (yes I know, a tired refrain). But I also have never paid too much attention to fighting games in general, as traditional fighting games aren't really my scene. But even despite this, I was and am still very much aware of Street Fighter, Tekken, Soul Calibur, Mortal Kombat, Dead or Alive, and the vs Capcom series. So that just leaves me wondering, how iconic a character or series can be, when it doesn't transcend the specific community built around it in the same way that many others do. I can certainly be way off base as far as how well known Terry is, but that is where I, and I assume many others, are coming from when they say that Terry doesn't feel iconic to them.

I'm not sure if Rayman is best example of an iconic character to be sure, but certainly that is why I want Bomberman to be playable so badly. He has a similar niche to Pac-Man, as a historic gaming figure, if not to the same extent. But he has also always had close ties to Nintendo, even up to the Switch's launch.

Anyway all of that was really just to say that some people want the most popular characters, some people want the most iconic characters, and some people want whichever characters they are closest to/that they grew up with. And those are all valid reasons. And certainly not everyone's perception of iconicity or popularity is going to be the same for every character.

I've said this before, but I've noticed a lot of people really just want the characters that are their favorites and then assume that everyone else uses that same criteria for deciding who they want to see in Smash. That's certainly not a bad thing, but it's also not how I operate. Maybe I'm just a weirdo here, but how much I like a character/game is only a small part of why I might want any given character. There are a bunch of games and characters I love that I don't really want in Smash. Simply because they wouldn't make sense. Monster Rancher and Suikoden are two series that come to mind. Honestly this is how I felt about Joker as well, but we all know how that turned out.

Anyway, not sure why I'm still rambling, so I'm off to bed. See you all after the direct tomorrow!
You want supposed iconic characters, but you also want more Nintendo characters at the same time? The last of the iconic Nintendo characters got in with Isabelle. Now we’re just left with B-list (& Below) side characters or main characters from niche games.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
You want supposed iconic characters, but you also want more Nintendo characters at the same time? The last of the iconic Nintendo characters got in with Isabelle. Now we’re just left with B-list (& Below) side characters or main characters from niche games.
Toad.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Splatoon 2 has sold ~10 million copies, is the #6 all time best selling Switch game, and has no rep. Pearl, Marina, and Octoling are all very popular characters and A-list inclusions.

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
All I pray right now is that the Geno and Doomguy Mii leaks do not get debunked today.
I don't know how they could, other than a Mallow and/or Cacodemon Mii is shown that are different from the ones in the leak. If they don't show up at all, we'll still be where we are currently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom