• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plank08

Smash Lord
So I have a weird question: what is your definition of a character who's badass? For me, it's a character who is stylish, skilled, and commands respect. For example: Phoenix Wright (respect part debatable lol), Cynthia from Pokemon, Joker, Tifa, Ike, etc.
My definition is someone who does something awesome and walks away like nothing.
So Master Chief comes to mind

Plank08

Smash Lord
Of course, why not respond with a rebuttal about how you wanting a character based on sex isn’t sexist, when you could instead dislike it and stay in your ideological bubble?
Please stop, this conversation will only lead to disaster, Everyone just ignore him if this gets worse.

D

Deleted member

Please stop, this conversation will only lead to disaster, Everyone just ignore him if this gets worse.
Umm...what conversation? Haven't been keeping up since I was watching TannerOfTheNorth's Terry playlist.

D

Deleted member

So I have a weird question: what is your definition of a character who's badass? For me, it's a character who is stylish, skilled, and commands respect. For example: Phoenix Wright (respect part debatable lol), Cynthia from Pokemon, Joker, Tifa, Ike, etc.
I, Mettaton, I’m a badass TV presentator who has badass bangers and pulls out hilarious moments all da-*gets turned off*

Being serious for a moment, I find characters such as Dante, Roulxx Kaard, Eggman or Mr.Dark badass.

For me it mostly relies either on the design, the stuff the character does, the music associated with them or their backstory and motivations.

NoBS

Smash Apprentice
Because you made an account just to join in the argument about this female character debate half a month ago. Nothing anyone says will change your opinion.
I’ve actually been here a long time, enough I’d be considered an OG, if I remembered my old account, only coming around new releases though, mainly as a lurker to see what the recent speculation is when there was the possibility of characters still getting in the games.

Yes you are correct, I made a new account because the board was becoming topsy turvy land. It looks like there is someone with obvious mental illness, and I’m not saying that to be mean, I’m saying that genuinely based on previous comments where their life hinges on a female pick, and I see some people telling her/him to relax. Then a select few of you supporting her mental illness.

I think it’s funny how not one of you have presented an argument how that isn’t sexist thinking, or you will strawman the argument like “HE HATES WOMEN” and then you will ignore any criticism as someone else being hardheaded.

I’m all ears for discussion here, if you don’t want to be then admit it and stop playing games.

Last edited:

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Twenty-nine days for this month to end.

Nintendo can be cryptic with dates, but they surely can't be irresponsible to delay the character for an indefinite hiatus, right?

D

Deleted member

Eh, I'm sure it will come sooner than we think...

Y'all should take this time to listen to King of Fighters and Fatal Fury's music while you're waiting. Literally every game before the year 2001 has an arranged album so they're up to date and rocking.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dark Bagel

Smash Ace
Sorry for triple posting, it’s about time I had another game for you guys:
Who is your guys top 10?(or five if you can’t fit anyone)
Top personal picks, eh? Since I'm a weakly lil b****, I'll just halve it to 5:

5. Edelgard
4. Nightmare
3. Doom Slayer
2. Shantae
1. Crash Bandicoot

As an added bonus, here's some unnecessary write-ups for each!

5) Edelgard. I've been hearing nothing but great things about the latest FE Title, it seems to hit all the right notes in terms of its story, characters, and music. It's nothing short of a breakout hit, and while Nintendo's flagship strategy RPG series has a decent amount of smash representation as is, I get the impression that one more rep from the its latest title has a lot of unique elements to bring to the fray. While Byleth's the main protagonist and all, Edelgard's been receiving a disproportionate amount of spotlight compared to them and the other featured lords, and it seems that the usage of her signature axe, unique skills, and special equipment could be an opportunity for her to incorporate a ton of FE mechanics straight from Three Houses into Smash (despite me not having knowledge on the specifics of her abilities).

4) Nightmare. Soul Calibur is an iconic fighting game series that I'm not too keen on, but the most prominent character from the franchise seems to be none other than its main villain, the infernal Nightmare. I'll admit, he mainly sticks out to me for superficial reasons. He looks wicked cool. But he's also got a pretty deep story and skillset to go alongside his awesomely grotesque appearance, and I feel that this would be great to see translated into smash, if Source Gaming's video on how he could work is anything to go by.

3) Doom Slayer. His status as a speculation darling aside, I'm personally into the idea of Doom Slayer as a future DLC pick. The main reason I'm rootin' for Slayer is an odd one: I just like the idea of a character as gruesome and mature as him juxtaposed with the large majority of Ultimate's characters being on the lighter side of things. Of course, he's got a lot of things he could do moveset wise, with his incredibly varied firearms and all, but I'm just in it to see him alongside a character like Kirby or Pichu. I just wanna witness Ultimate's wackiness in its variety taken to the extreme.

2) Shantae. While already in the game as a spirit, I still want to see the energetic hair-whipping, shapeshifting half-genie as a fully fleshed-out fighter, despite how unlikely she is. While she provides a good dose of indie representation, other indie characters like Shovel Knight and Sans are already checking off that box, with them both being MORE prominent in the game than she is, acting as an assist trophy and Mii costume, respectively. Regardless, she's got a little history with Nintendo, making her debut late into the gbc's lifespan, and only getting bigger and more reputable from there. She also has a fun, colorful aesthetic that seems to fit well amongst the other smash members, along with a fair amount of moves to draw from. Still, with all that said, she's probably not gonna make the cut, at least not for THIS smash game.

1) Crash Bandicoot. THIS guy. He's an icon of the PS1 period of the console wars between other competitors like Nintendo and Sega, and he's remained a gaming legend ever since. He obviously has his signature spin dash from the first game, alongside other various fighting moves he sports in later titles. While his moveset is no issue to work in, I think the legacy and art style of the Bandicoot are the biggest draws for me. His overly zany and ridiculously cartoony style would be neat to see mixed in with all of smash's other visual offerings, and the potential for his expressions would be insane (or N. Sane, heh). He's arguably about as recognizable as the likes of Sonic, Cloud, or Ryu, and seeing him smash it up with those major characters alongside the rest of Ultimate's star-studded cast would be a treat.

Last edited:

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Y'all should take this time to listen to King of Fighters and Fatal Fury's music while you're waiting. Literally every game before the year 2001 has an arranged album so they're up to date and rocking.

I legit would not have a problem if the entirety of Terry's accompanying music was just the Fatal Fury and King of Fighters arranged tracks ripped straight with no remixes. In particular, Blue Mary's arranged theme from The King of Fighters '97 is a big favorite of mine...

D

Deleted member

I legit would not have a problem if the entirety of Terry's accompanying music was just the Fatal Fury and King of Fighters arranged tracks ripped straight with no remixes. In particular, Blue Mary's arranged theme from The King of Fighters '97 is a big favorite of mine...

Damn. I love it when SNK busts out the vocals. Makes tracks really come alive.

KatKit

Smash Lord
Ragna The Bloodedge, particularly when he matured, gained focus, and decided to protect what mattered to him, despite the cost and unbelievable odds. His stereotypically "cool" traits are intentionally the least bad(A-word) thing about him. Despite his appearance, he's a total dork, likes cute things, and he's a good person at heart. He sacrificed his existence to save the world, but before doing that, he had to accept his role as a villain and sever his ties with everyone he cared about. Everyone mocked his intelligence, but he stopped an entity that feeds off of hatred by making them a hero.

His character arc was nuts. I didn't care about him at all at first, but by the end of Central Fiction, he was my favorite one. Which is very rare for a fighting game protagonist, let alone one I don't even main.

Kat from Gravity Rush, too. She woke up, had powers, didn't remember anything about herself and was like "Welp, doesn't matter... I just wanna help people." And she's been like that ever since, despite getting nothing in return (or worse). She's super altruistic and very down to earth. She only resorts to violence as a last resort. She never backs down. Her universe's equivalent of the devil offered her a deal to keep her alive before he destroyed the world (which he was about to), and she was like "Nah, how about I use what little strength I have left to stop you once and for all."

Everything about Elma. She took time to go to earth, develop technology, and save as many people as possible. Now she's trapped on a different planet and stuck with what's left of humanity and a bunch of other species and she helped them all live together in harmony. She's a little pragmatic, but her heart is always in the right place. She's fearless and humble.

Ann Takamaki. She's quirky, compassionate, open-minded, courageous, and very determined. She's so true to herself; she's an outcast that isn't afraid to speak her mind. Ann manages to be complex, relatable, and admirable simultaneously.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

They make different vocal versions of the song for every game...here's to Smash getting a new remix of that, if we're even getting one.
SNK has zero issue crossing over to other games so I have no doubt we'll be getting remixes. Question is how much music is going to be from Fatal Fury versus King of Fighters?

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I feel like you already asked this one, but:

1. Ryu Hayabusa [Ninja Gaiden]
2. Bill Rizer/Lance Bean [Contra]
3. Arthur [Ghosts ‘n Goblins]
4. Kunio/Riki [River City Ransom]
5. Bub/Bob [Bubble Bobble]
6. Nathan Spencer [Bionic Commando]
7. Rash/Zitz [Battletoads]
8. Shantae [Shantae]
9. Kazuma Kiryu [Yakuza]
10. SV-001 Metal Slug [Metal Slug]

We all know I would bring the highest quality Undertale music to Smash if I got added!

“Death by Glamour” has sold a lot of CDs at music stores!
That ain't even in the top 5 boss themes in THAT GAME!

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
On the topic of Terry, the current VA is okay, but I still miss Satoshi Hashimoto's Engrish.

My personal favorite Engrish line: what happens after Taco Bell Tuesday.
Terry: "Ovaheh! Geezer!"
Me: (What does this have to do with Tacos?)

"Oh...oh no."

Two words: Elma. Uncontrollable. Nuff said.

oooorrr

Octoling with Fly Octo Fly
"Look over theeeeeere it's goooooold miiiiine!"

Would also recommend:
  • The Way
  • THEMEX
  • The Key We've Lost (Second Half. The first half is just the Ganglion battle theme.)
  • Sylvalum (Night)
  • fiKAleldJOU (Ocean theme. Xenoblade Chronicles X's music names are perplexing sometimes.)
  • In the Forest (X->Z ver.)

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Mine personally is
10.Freddy Fazbear
9.Master Chief
8.Scorpion
7.Crash Bandicoot
6.Doom Slayer
5.Steve
4.Skull Kid
3.Paper Mario
2.Geno
1. SACKBOOOOOOOOOYYYY
10. Arle Nadja
9. Ryu Hayabusa
8. Phoenix Wright
7. Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons Farmer
6. Segata Sanshiro
5. Min Min
4. Byleth
3. Elma
2. Steve
1. Any Rhythm Heaven Rep

Honorable Mentions: Edelgard, Bandanna Waddle Dee, Octoling, Crash Bandicoot, Master Chief

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666

"Oh...oh no."

"Look over theeeeeere it's goooooold miiiiine!"

Would also recommend:
  • The Way
  • THEMEX
  • The Key We've Lost (Second Half. The first half is just the Ganglion battle theme.)
  • Sylvalum (Night)
  • fiKAleldJOU (Ocean theme. Xenoblade Chronicles X's music names are perplexing sometimes.)
  • In the Forest (X->Z ver.)
got some more jams fam
  • aBOreSSs (Prog Ares half)
  • Minor Boss Battle
  • the obvious Black Tar
  • the Telethia the Endbringer theme
  • Major Boss Battle
  • Oblivia (Day)
  • MONOX (the title screen theme)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

"Oh...oh no
I was watching a YouTube video about the lines, and one of the comments said, "What's the current state of Overwatch" and he reploed with that Engrish line.

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
Yo if we talking music can we get Reimu in for that alone? I haven't touched Touhou in my life once but dang that music!

D

Deleted member

Mine personally is
10.Freddy Fazbear
9.Master Chief
8.Scorpion
7.Crash Bandicoot
6.Doom Slayer
5.Steve
4.Skull Kid
3.Paper Mario
2.Geno
1. SACKBOOOOOOOOOYYYY
Top 10 for me including ones that got in the game:
Hero
Inkling
Sephiroth
Ryu Hayabusa
Jill/Leon
Chun-Li
Goemon
KOS-MOS
Akira Howard
Yuri Lowell or pretty much a Tales rep
There's a lot of characters I like outside these that got in like the Belmonts, Incineroar, Plant, Chrom, Ridley. And frankly I could name a few more that while not my top choices, they would be cool additions like:
2B,
Elma,
Rex,
Terra,
Heihachi,
Mitsurugi/Sophitia/Nightmare,
Chosen Undead,
Dante,
Arthur,
PW,
Amateratsu,
Dragonlord,
Crono

D

Deleted member

Not at all.
Powerful counterargument
If you guys had it your way. Who'd be your ideal pick for DLC fighter 5 and why?
Waluigi-He deserves it. That's all.
Jody Summer-It'd be a fun original idea. Also, her X outfit would look cool in Ultimate.
Soma Cruz-He'd be the best choice after Alucard being an assist.
Metal Sonic-As his own character.
Cammy-Similar reason to Soma.
I don't really ask for that much, there's just a lot I don't want. Like Steve.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom