• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I wouldn't have even bothered answering this, Les. Wanting more playable women in a video game has nothing to do with politics.

You'd think a game celebrating video game history wouldn't overlook women as much as it has.
Yeah, looks like I was stupid on that, Kat.

Plank08

Smash Lord
What gets me is how ****ing perfect they got Black Knight. This slow ************ is going to beat you to death and the best option to deal with him is running away, like how he works in FE. I see people ***** about Fire Emblem representation and I see people ***** about assists for whatever reason and then we get a top 3 FE villain as an assist with nothing but praise
should’ve been a boss too but WHATEVER
Including characters I already got:
1.Eight from DQ8
2.Metroid newcomers who aren’t Samus
3.K.Rool
4.Ken
5.Pokémon rep for a friend of mine who is a hardcore Pokémon fan
6.Pauline
7.Adeleine
8.Mach Rider
9.Crono
10.Reimu
WOW, you literally got all of your top 5!

SKX31

Smash Master
Sorry for triple posting, it’s about time I had another game for you guys:
Who is your guys top 10?(or five if you can’t fit anyone)
Mine personally is
Depends if we're going (semi-)realistic or completely off the wall. I'll go semi-realistic:

10. Sash Lilac (Freedom Planet)
9. Ezio
8. Scorpion
7. Lara Croft
6. Kratos
5. Master Chief
4. Style Savvy protagonist
3. Arle Nadja
2. Dante
1. Lina the Slayer (Dota 2)

ZSr5nRP.png

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
The Adol thread doubles as a general Nihon Falcom support thread; Falcom fans are cool with Smash representation of any kind, TBH, and we know there's strength in numbers. The fandom is very united.
Oh really... So they'd be okay with Ries?

Flik

Smash Journeyman
Top 10 most wanted? Does it have to be in order?

Adol Christin (Ys)
Captain Commando
Celica (Fire Emblem)
Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong Country)
Geno (Super Mario RPG)
Kazuya Mishima (Tekken)
Kyo Kusanagi (The King of Fighters)
Miriam (Bloodstained)
Sakura Shinguji (Sakura Wars)
Tifa Lockhart (Final Fantasy VII)

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
All my hopes boil down to FP5. It's by that stance that I decide if the DLC is worth buying for me.
... Even though DLC no longer boils down to just the Pass?

I seriously doubt the Phoenix leaks. If he does get in, well, they might have been lucky guesses. But still, my stance is the same. Boycotting the pass.

I don't have hope in the next season.
Leaks or no leaks, Phoenix is as likely as he ever got - Dante seems disconfirmed at least for this season too, which is good for him (er, no offense to anyone who dislikes Phoenix and wants Dante). And yeah, the "leak" might as well be a coincidence, but even if it's fake, it doesn't really harm his chances at this point, tbh.

And really, I don't see a reason to be pessimistic. All three female characters I'm currently supporting (2B, Ahri and Arle Nadja) are all more likely for next season rather than this one, and Ahri is a long shot either way so...

I don't think I should put all my hopes for them in CP5 when they clearly have even better chances next time around. Being overly pessimistic can't be a good thing.

Speaking of characters that are often brought up but don’t have a thread yet: anyone willing to make that Estelle (Trails) thread? I would but I know nothing about Trails
maybe I’ll make an Estelle (Vesperia) thread though for the lels... and because a white mage archetype in smash would be unique
Honestly, I'm on the fence about Estelle. I like her a lot and she can certainly bring a lot of content and moves (just give me my Trails soundtrack, Nintendo), but I dunno how likely she or other Falcom characters are as of now. Even then, I do think Adol and Ys would be a priority over Trails, so I dunno...

If the thread ever happens, though, count me in as a supporter!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Double Post
I don’t see why it even has to be a political thing though. My eight year old sister much prefers the gals (and the kooky characters like plant) but this doesn’t make her a crafted member of any politics. She vibes better with the gals and it’s one reason I’m personally polling to get some new ones as much as I am. Like it or not each character vibes with people for one reason or another and I don’t see why we have to gatekeep a person’s opinions on the pass in such a rude format. That last part goes the same for those of opposing opinions. I’m positive between the two passes we’ll have enough to make plenty of peeps happy but that’s just my own opinions showing.
Shoutouts to my little cousin who mains :ultzss::ultwiifittrainer::ultpalutena:

*sigh*

Let's just bring up the female discussion after we actually get FP5 or we get leaked. Please?
Lady, that starts with you and all this boycott talk.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Perfect! Now all we need is a support thread and it will be TIME TO SPLIT!
Well damn, there doesn't seem to be a Cortez Ultimate support thread. I'll see what I can do. I doubt it'll get much clout since he doesn't have a chance in hell but I guess I'll update my Signature if I can get one done.

Mine personally is
10.Freddy Fazbear
9.Master Chief
8.Scorpion
7.Crash Bandicoot
6.Doom Slayer
5.Steve
4.Skull Kid
3.Paper Mario
2.Geno
1. SACKBOOOOOOOOOYYYY
Banjo & Kazooie were my most wanted before but now it's Sgt. Cortez!

Just to fill in space
10. Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)
9. Francis York (Deadly Premonition)
8. Jin Kazama (Tekken)
7. Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney)
6. Dante (Devil May Cry)
5. Crash Bandicoot (Crash Bandicoot)

Who I actually want

4. Sir Daniel Fortesque (Medievil)
3. Doom Guy (Doom)
2. Tomba (Tomba!)
1. Sgt. Cortez (TimeSplitters)

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
Oh really... So they'd be okay with Ries?
My dude... even Mishy was brought up in that thread. Don't underestimate our fandom.

Besides, Ries would still mean Kiseki songs and an Ein "Carnelia" Selnate palette swap. And our foot would be in the door. That still sounds like a win to me.

Last edited:

Sysreq

Smash Ace
So I have a weird question: what is your definition of a character who's badass? For me, it's a character who is stylish, skilled, and commands respect. For example: Phoenix Wright (respect part debatable lol), Cynthia from Pokemon, Joker, Tifa, Ike, etc.

Last edited:

EmperorCoal

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-5396-2021-6143
Mine personally is
10.Freddy Fazbear
9.Master Chief
8.Scorpion
7.Crash Bandicoot
6.Doom Slayer
5.Steve
4.Skull Kid
3.Paper Mario
2.Geno
1. SACKBOOOOOOOOOYYYY
5. Shantae: Unlike most I actually have ties to the series predating my smash speculating days, so coming in and finding out she had an actual following... caught me off guard. Is their better picks? Yep. But biased I am.

4. Chun-Li: With Ken coming in this likely isn’t happening but hey, I’ve been into SF for a while and my main showing up would be lovely.

3. Kratos: Just imagine

2. Viridi: My personal favorite of the Kid Icarus characters since she is just so sassy but honestly Medusa or Hates would be amazing choices as well. Especially Hades cough port uprising to switch cough.

Annnnnd of course

1. Pheonix Wright BB no other picks compare bring on the law and order!

Also shout outs to anyone else that can break the smash fandom be they Cloud or plant

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So I have a weird question: what is your definition of a character who's badass? For me, it's a character who is stylish, skilled, and commands respect. For example: Phoenix Wright, Cynthia from Pokemon, Joker, Tifa, Ike, etc.
My idea of a badass character is someone who just walks in, does what he needs to do, and then walks out. It's why Saitama has always appealed to me. Dude just does what he needs to do and does it well.

Well sometimes anyways...

Last edited by a moderator:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Mine personally is
10.Freddy Fazbear
9.Master Chief
8.Scorpion
7.Crash Bandicoot
6.Doom Slayer
5.Steve
4.Skull Kid
3.Paper Mario
2.Geno
1. SACKBOOOOOOOOOYYYY
Banjo, Kazooie and Steve were my most-wanted.

Now:

-Steve is my #1

In no particular order for the rest:

-Skull Kid
-Midna
-Geno
-Porky Minch
-Toad
-Gengar
-King Boo
-Chibi-Robo
-Make Alph separate (at this point I can't decide without wanting to put multiple characters in the same spot)

D

Deleted member

So I have a weird question: what is your definition of a character who's badass? For me, it's a character who is stylish, skilled, and commands respect. For example: Phoenix Wright (respect part debatable lol), Cynthia from Pokemon, Joker, Tifa, Ike, etc.
There's a lot of things that defines a badass, but you can't get anymore badass than York's introduction in Deadly Premonition.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I dunno specifics but certain characters just feel cool. Wolf in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (I think it's the leg bandanna. I love that thing.) and Crono come to mind. Also the cast of RWBY when they're not just sitting around.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
You mean top 10 characters I want in Smash right now? Gonna assume it's that.
In no particular order...
  • Chorus Kids (Rhythm Heaven)
  • Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)
  • Billy and Jimmy Lee (Double Dragon)
  • Kat & Ana
  • Starman (Pro Wrestling)
  • Akira Howard (Astral Chain)
  • Excitebiker (Excite Series)
  • Saki Amamiya (Sin & Punishment)
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Heihachi (Tekken)

Last edited:

Gamma Ray

Smash Apprentice
I personally really hope the post-pass DLC is going to break a few trends. I would like to see some first party DLC as well and I'd love for them to promote a spirit or something so we can finally throw the "spirits deconfirm" assumption out of the window. It doesn't even need to be any of my wanted characters. And some female characters would be cool too.

Last edited:

NoBS

Smash Apprentice
Flaming Warning
I wouldn't have even bothered answering this, Les. Wanting more playable women in a video game has nothing to do with politics.

You'd think a game celebrating video game history wouldn't overlook women as much as it has.
Yes it is political, nothing makes you special to just be a woman, so if you’re happy with ANY woman getting in the game you’re playing a political game. If you have a favorite character who happens to be female that is completely different.

Secondly smash isn’t overlooking ****. There are plenty big women video game characters in the game. Except for say Lara Croft, who is a pretty bland character, the woman characters not in the game compared to the males aren’t even close in terms of requests or iconicness.

Third, smash advertises to demographics and also makes connections with third party companies. Most third parties biggest characters are male, secondly if they are advertising to female gamers probably the number one character wanted is Sora, also a male.

If you’re not buying the dlc because you’re not getting a woman character, what does that mean other than you’re a sexist? There’s no male characters that you’d buy the pass for? What is wrong with you people?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
It's mostly your expectations. My expectations say that there must be at least one fully-fledged female fighter. This female discussion of mine is an opinion, and to me, it doesn't seem right. You sound like wanting female characters is a pipe dream like Waluigi.
I don't think either of those are pipe dreams. All I'm saying is it's odd to see you hinge everything on a single character, instead of on the entirety of the DLC. You're more likely to get one female character out of six than one out of one, that's just statistics.

And really, I don't want to see you so downtrodden all the time. I commend you for your dedication to your principles, but you're allowed to like other characters even if they aren't women. Take me for example: I'm probably one of the most outspoken supporters for first party characters. But I also love franchises like Ace Attorney, Crash, Kingdom Hearts, so I have characters that I like outside of those.

What I'm trying to say is that for many people it reads like you latch on to rumored characters just because they're female and bash on other rumored characters because they aren't. But I'm sure that you must have an interest in some other characters, and you shouldn't feel like you're not allowed to just because you're fighting for something important.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
Yes it is political, nothing makes you special to just be a woman, so if you’re happy with ANY woman getting in the game you’re playing a political game. If you have a favorite character who happens to be female that is completely different.

Secondly smash isn’t overlooking ****. There are plenty big women video game characters in the game. Except for say Lara Croft, who is a pretty bland character, the woman characters not in the game compared to the males aren’t even close in terms of requests or iconicness.

Third, smash advertises to demographics and also makes connections with third party companies. Most third parties biggest characters are male, secondly if they are advertising to female gamers probably the number one character wanted is Sora, also a male.

If you’re not buying the dlc because you’re not getting a woman character, what does that mean other than you’re a sexist? There’s no male characters that you’d buy the pass for? What is wrong with you people?
If I could dislike a post, it'd be this one.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Mine personally is
10.Freddy Fazbear
9.Master Chief
8.Scorpion
7.Crash Bandicoot
6.Doom Slayer
5.Steve
4.Skull Kid
3.Paper Mario
2.Geno
1. SACKBOOOOOOOOOYYYY
Assuming Spirits and the like won't be promoted:
  1. Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
  2. 2B (Nier: Automata)
  3. Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney)
  4. Arle Nadja (Puyo Puyo)
  5. Ahri (League of Legends)
  6. Kyo Kusanagi (The King of Fighters) -> I'm hoping assuming he won't be a Spirit...
  7. Crash (Crash Bandicoot)
  8. Marco Rossi (Metal Slug)
  9. Klonoa (Klonoa)
Without promotions, that's it for me, really. Anyone else is a bonus. If we're counting promotions, then add Geno between 2B and Phoenix.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I have a solid...top six, with the remaining four slots shifting and being generally ephemeral.
1572653835043.png

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Question: if the post-Fighters Pass DLC brings us at least some first-party characters, what would your reaction be if at least one or two of those characters were another obscure retro pick in the same vein as the Ice Climbers or Mr. Game & Watch?

While I expect to see first-party characters as DLC, I doubt all of them are gonna be "popular" picks like Rex, Elma, or a Three Houses character.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Question: if the post-Fighters Pass DLC brings us at least some first-party characters, what would your reaction be if at least one or two of those characters were another obscure retro pick in the same vein as the Ice Climbers or Mr. Game & Watch?
Joy

And I'd brace myself for the inevitable "Smash fanbase hates on things I like"

Last edited:

NoBS

Smash Apprentice
If I could dislike a post, it'd be this one.
Of course, why not respond with a rebuttal about how you wanting a character based on sex isn’t sexist, when you could instead dislike it and stay in your ideological bubble?

D

Deleted member

We all know I would bring the highest quality Undertale music to Smash if I got added!

“Death by Glamour” has sold a lot of CDs at music stores!

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Repeatedly saying, "add more females!" probably isn't going to result in them adding more females. Sakurai clearly doesn't buy in to quotas such as that. What that crowd needs to do is choose one character and rally behind her, because largely popular characters have a history of making it in.

It's actually one instance that the generalizing is a positive, as just pushing some token addition should, theoretically, spare people from internal character wars. It's not that that crowd wants "that female" so much as just, "a female". And sure it's a reductive strategy, but it fits a reductive demand. So pick one and get on it, because shouting into the ether for women, while well intentioned, in all likelihood won't amount to a whole lot.

Assuming, of course, it's not too late to affect future DLC anyway.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
When Scorbunny's final evolved form inevitably joins smash next year I hope he comes with Toby's Pokemon music. That easily the best battle theme this series has had in nearly a decade. I'm not a fan of Gen 6, 7 or 8's music.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
Of course, why not respond with a rebuttal about how you wanting a character based on sex isn’t sexist, when you could instead dislike it and stay in your ideological bubble?
Because you made an account just to join in the argument about this female character debate. Nothing anyone says will change your opinion.

Last edited:

Gamma Ray

Smash Apprentice
So wanting a female character after 4 male DLC picks is sexist? Interesting train of thought. Does only playing female characters make you sexist too? Because I know a few people like that, and they would really like a woman added to the mix as well.

I'm not going to throw a tantrum if DLC 5 is another dude, but some variation would be nice.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
There's a lot of things that defines a badass, but you can't get anymore badass than York's introduction in Deadly Premonition.
This guy is an idiot and would have realistically crashed sooner. I'm sure you're referring to the part where he nonchalantly gets up and sticks another cigarette in his mouth, and it would be kinda cool, but I can't buy that he would have lived after a crash like that.

Context: Driver's school has successfully scared me and drivers not keeping their eyes on the road is a huge pet peeve of mine in fiction.

While I expect to see first-party characters as DLC, I doubt all of them are gonna be "popular" picks like Rex, Elma, or a Three Houses character.
I'd probably be excited just due to the zaniness of it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom