• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Us3inMN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Us3inMN
Switch FC
SW-6591-4822-5026
If we’re under the assumption that the entire community would be mad at any “4th-party” character, I would choose SpongeBob because he’d make me very happy.

Though I imagine all the people who don’t take additions and speculation very seriously (seemingly the majority) would be hyped or don’t care anyway.
Wasn't Spongebob the most requested 4th-party for a while?

D

Deleted member

I don't mind character leaks that much because there's more to the game than just reveals. A good character will always be a good character, a bad character will be forgotten once the novelty of their reveal wears off. Missing out on that raw shock, while a downer in the short term, doesn't make the final product worse.

I'm still pumped that K. Rool, Ridley and Banjo are in Smash. That would be the same whether I saw them live or found out beforehand.
Me too, I was originally quite skeptical of Terry then I got pumped coz at the very least SNK is in the game.

Banado_Boy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Banado_Boy
Switch FC
SW-3619-0087-7500
Alllllllright, let's play a game:

Who is your "f**k you" pick? Someone you would love to see that the entire community would say, "f**k you".

Mine is Nikolai from the Call of Duty: Black Ops series. It's never gonna happen but I would love to see him!
It’s not a character that EVERYONE will say “f**k you” to, but rather a certain group of people within the Smash community...

Goku from Yuyuki. Very unlikely to happen, though.

D

Deleted member

I don’t know; I didn’t really participate in speculation much during Smash 4 and I wasn’t here before then, but I can imagine him being so.
Yeah, then literally everyone shifted to Goku.

Like, in the K-Pop podcast I listen to, one mentioned that they want Goku and I screamed, "OFF WITH YOUR HEAD!"

ZelDan

Smash Master

Who is your "f**k you" pick? Someone you would love to see that the entire community would say, "f**k you".

Mine is Nikolai from the Call of Duty: Black Ops series. It's never gonna happen but I would love to see him!
Edelgard. Would probably make both Smash players and some Three Houses/Fire Emblem fans salty.

Us3inMN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Us3inMN
Switch FC
SW-6591-4822-5026
So the Smash website has changed "November 2019" to "Coming Soon".

https://smashbros.nintendo.com/buy/dlc/

Terry... tomorrow?
Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please (you get the point)

Yeah, then literally everyone shifted to Goku.

Like, in the K-Pop podcast I listen to, one mentioned that they want Goku and I screamed, "OFF WITH YOUR HEAD!"
NGL, Spongebob would be really cool. His moveset would be so weird and fun!

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
So the Smash website has changed "November 2019" to "Coming Soon".

https://smashbros.nintendo.com/buy/dlc/

Terry... tomorrow?
To play devil’s advocate, they could just be changing it ahead of time because this month is coming to a close.

I believe something similar happened with Joker when Spring began and it was still a few weeks before he actually got released.

Last edited:
Edelgard. Would probably make both Smash players and some Three Houses/Fire Emblem fans salty.
Yeah, some. I've been a bit sour about her, more for gameplay assumptions than story reasons. After thinking about it more, I realized that DLC in Ultimate has been stellar so far, so there really isn't the problem I thought there was. If she gets picked, she'll be done well. I think most people would come around given time.

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
If we’re under the assumption that the entire community would be mad at any “4th-party” character, I would choose SpongeBob because he’d make me very happy.

Though I imagine all the people who don’t take additions and speculation very seriously (seemingly the majority) would be hyped or don’t care anyway.
That would be my choice for a 4th party too lol.
It doesn't hurt that I also saw a handful of fan-movesets for him based off of Battle for Bikini Bottom which made him look like an unironically good fighter.

D

Deleted member

I guess Geno at this rate. He's not popular outside of his fanbase. Wouldn't want him to spite others, though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Flik

Smash Journeyman
I guess my favorite character would count as that because she is a Fire Emblem Character.
Mine as well for also being a FE character on top of being a Swordfighter :laugh:
I don't mind character leaks that much because there's more to the game than just reveals. A good character will always be a good character, a bad character will be forgotten once the novelty of their reveal wears off. Missing out on that raw shock, while a downer in the short term, doesn't make the final product worse.

I'm still pumped that K. Rool, Ridley and Banjo are in Smash. That would be the same whether I saw them live or found out beforehand.
Said everything i wanted to say , bravo :ness:

D

Deleted member

Edelgard is just white-haired, female red Marth with an axe and is evil. What a lame clone.

/s

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
To play devil’s advocate, they could just be changing it ahead of time because this month is coming to a close.

I believe something similar happened with Joker when Spring began and it was still a few weeks before he actually got released.
To be fair. With Joker we didn't have a spirit event that basically leak he was coming VERY soon.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Here's a weird prediction. I think there will be a Fighters Pass 2, and I think there will be a Bonus Character in between the Passes, and I think the way you'll qualify for this character is by purchasing both passes, and I think that character will be Geno.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

I suppose that Jonesey person from Fortnite would be perfect for that considering Fortnite is evil. Not because of any legit criticisms but because kids care more about it than some dead franchises/characters

Sysreq

Smash Ace
Here's a weird prediction. I think there will be a Fighters Pass 2, and I think there will be a Bonus Character in between the Passes, and I think the way you'll qualify for this character is by purchasing both passes, and I think that character will be Geno.
Isn't it widely accepted that Plant was probably supposed to be base roster? I know people think of him as a "bonus" character, but I think that was just on accident. Also having a character that you need to spend $50 on is a little steep if the requirements are to buy both passes.
To be fair, I was imagining her with Ike's moveset and using an axe. It worked weirdly well, for the most part.

That's not what would happen, but it had me thinking.
I actually saw a smash 4 mod that put a Minerva skin over Ike and it did in fact work very well. It's also what made me realize that a character having an axe wouldn't suddenly make them any more unique than someone with a sword.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Isn't it widely accepted that Plant was probably supposed to be base roster? I know people think of him as a "bonus" character, but I think that was just on accident. Also having a character that you need to spend $50 on is a little steep if the requirements are to buy both passes.
Well I meant if you buy both passes you get him for free. Obviously they would sell him seperate as well. And yeah he was probably supposed to be but there's nothing stopping them from doing another out of Pass bonus character.

Last edited:

Sysreq

Smash Ace
If there’s another bonus character, I expect them to be separate like Plant.
If they do a bonus character, it'll be one that was shelved for one reason or another and already had work put into it whether it be concept or even modeling. I don't think they'd do a whole 3 month dev cycle for a bonus character unless this character doesn't come with a stage and music, then I could maybe see it as a possibility.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
If master Chief somehow got in smash, what do you guys think he would do?
Also GAME SHOW TIME! Give your most wanted character a tag line, I’ll start
Sackboy gets it together!
Mike Jones pitches in!

(It’s not taken, is it?)

Alternatives:
Mike Jones refrains from turning the power off.
:p
Mike Jones winds up!
Mike Jones steps on the plate!

Takamaru unsheathes justice.
Isaac shakes the competition.
Saki aims for victory.
Medusa revives.... again!
Battletoads ram into the arena.
Jason and Sophia III Blast again!
Earthworm Jim Gets groovy.
Metal Sonic makes a bad future.
Doomguy found a secret area.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
If they do a bonus character, it'll be one that was shelved for one reason or another and already had work put into it whether it be concept or even modeling. I don't think they'd do a whole 3 month dev cycle for a bonus character unless this character doesn't come with a stage and music, then I could maybe see it as a possibility.
I mean, Geno already has a little work done if the Mii Costume is anything to go by, he doesn't require a stage, and would only REALLY need 1 music track (Beware the Forest Mushrooms). Like, if it's anyone it's Geno... or MAYBE Rex who also has a Mii Costume and doesn't need music or a stage. It's really the only way I see either of them getting in.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Oh yeah, absolutely. So much better.

Corrin: "Here's your last two, a Fire Emblem character who is an advertisement for an upcoming game we hope you try it out! But wait! Cloud comes out today! And Bayonetta is coming too!"

Plant: "Heres your last two! A Pokemon for advertising and an Echo that was already known for like ever. Isaac's a trophy, Skull Kid's a trophy, Shantae is a spirit, Rayman is a Spirit, but WAIT this Plant is playable for free as DLC! But only if you pay 60 dollars for the game! And only if you remember to register it to a Nintendo account! Hahah. Oh here's a Fighters Pass. You can hope and pray your character is in THAT but they won't haha."

Yeah chief, I dunno.
Corrin was the end of Smash 4's support (not counting the balance patches), after people had already voted for their favourite characters in the Ballot and got told that the characters would be fanservice. Plant, on the other hand, was just the beginning of Ultimate's DLC cycle, and got followed up a month later by Joker, who, on the hand, simbolized the actual approach of the Fighters Pass.

There's still a huge difference between the two characters.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
So what time should we "expect" a potential Terry/Stream announcement today, assuming it happens? I always forget when they typically do this.

D

Deleted member

The bonus we got for this pass was the Rex Mii costume. I think a free fighter is pretty much out of the question as the development costs for them are higher than the costumes and they are already giving pretty much a character for free by buying the fighters pass.

Plant was a weird situation and was more focused on getting people buying the game early, if we get a bonus for Fighter Pass 2 its probably going to be another Mii costume.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero

The Octane car from Rocket League.
Also Titan Dweevil from Pikmin 2.

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace

Most of my top choices would probably do that to varying degrees, due to not being in the spotlight and not being one of the like... 5 characters acceptable in mainstream discussion.

I suspect an iDOLM@STER rep would probably trigger the most vocal group of detractors though.

Or Kevin Keene/Segata Sanshiro, since I can see people throwing the Goku argument at them.

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
So what time should we "expect" a potential Terry/Stream announcement today, assuming it happens? I always forget when they typically do this.
Seven to eight hours from now. I looked up when they revealed the November 1st Smash Direct last year, and that happened exactly 24 hours before the Direct started.

Yes, absolutely, 100%. I'm glad we're all in agreement that Elma is the next best Xenoblade rep.

She's in bois
For real though, I wonder what the reaction would be like if she somehow turned out to be FP5. It'd be a nice way to start and end the pass with Xenoblade (as much as Rex' Mii costume counts as "starting with it"), but that doesn't really say much about reception.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom