• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Imagine if we got a direct announced on Monday or Tuesday coming out on Thursday and alongside when Terry gets released in November. Morrigan Aensland gets announced as DLC fighter 5.

How would you all react? How would you feel about her being the final character of this Pass?
On one hand, I would be happy that one of Capcom's most underrated franchises gets to be acknowledged in Smash...

...on the other hand, I would also be disappointed that Capcom still isn't making another Darkstalkers game (though hopefully a popularity bump from Smash would eventually help rectify that).

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Just a few days left in October... I just really want to see Terry's gameplay and content.

That and hope to understand what will next season's format be.

I'd be really happy about that, but I'd also be having PTSD-esque flashbacks to the Soul Fist spam back in the UMVC3 days.
Soul Fist Vs. Psycho Ball.

Imagine that.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Sony characters? Well:
- Kratos
- Kat
- Nathan Drake
- Ratchet & Clank

The last spot could be for a Wipeout car. Maybe it sounds absurd, but I like Wipeout and that would be cool. If not, then I guess I would go for Dan Fortesque so people can complain about another swordfighter, or Sackboy.
Then there's Aloy, but she's very recent.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
How many write ups have you done at this point yo?
What's in my signature is what I got. So, 5 character write ups total.

If you count each write up in the Ultimate Square Enix argument as separate, then you go to around 8-10 (I would only consider the Dragon Quest, Geno, and Sora sections actual write ups, but it could be more depending on what you consider).
Man, if only some kid with too much free time could draft a research paper to settle who are Namco character could be.
What's free time?

Leotsune

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Leotsune
GAME SHOW TIME!!:
If Sony wanted to play ball and allowed a whole fighter pass of 5 characters, who would you pick?
I would pick Sackboy(Obviously), Kratos, Parappa, Kat, and Toro
1.- Kat, nothing to say, play Gravity Rush.
2.- Iota, I LOVE Tearaway Unfolded (Never played the original on PSVita) and the game is criminally underrated.
3.- Kratos, but with his original design, I just feel its the right thing to do here.
4.- PaRappa, I have pretty good memories with this game.
5.- Delsin Rowe, well, Second Son was the game that sold me the PS4 and I really liked that game so that's that.
Edit: I could've easily pick Nathan, Ratchet, Sackboy, etc... but I wanted to throw a bit of variety here :)

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Imagine if we got a direct announced on Monday or Tuesday coming out on Thursday and alongside when Terry gets released in November. Morrigan Aensland gets announced as DLC fighter 5.

How would you all react? How would you feel about her being the final character of this Pass?
My reaction would be a resounding... meh...

GAME SHOW TIME!!:
If Sony wanted to play ball and allowed a whole fighter pass of 5 characters, who would you pick?
1) Tomba - Tomba!
2) Sir Daniel Fortesque - Medievil
3) Dart - Legend of Dragoon
4) Parappa - Parappa the Rapper
5) Spike - Ape Escape

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
GAME SHOW TIME!!:
Nathan Drake
Kratos
Ellie
Sackboy
And a wtf pick. Idk who that would be

Shes Capcom right? If so not that hyped. Would rather get an RE rep,Phoenix, or Ammy

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Morrigan would be cool and she'd break 'protagonist first' for good
She technically would, but sadly I don't think enough people know enough about Darkstalkers and its cast of characters to think that the "protagonist first" rule would be broken. They'd just assume Morrigan is the protagonist of the series when it's actually Demitri.

... stuff like this is why I wish Capcom would just make Darkstalkers IV already.

D

Deleted member

What a great way to start the day by saying my verdict on this.

> female character

>it's you're most requested.

Damn, if it was a surprise, I'd imagine the whole world to stop for those teeny couple of minutes, then when it goes to normal, it now shows the succubus, in all of her glory finally back.

I'd jump up and down like it's New Year's, followed by tears of joy as my mind plays the soundtrack of Descendants of the Sun. I'll be so happy I'll let all my currrent mains be nerfed just to main her (nah jk I'll still main them all).

Other than that, I'll be the happiest woman alive I'll let the rest of the DLC be male as long as I got what I wanted.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
She technically would, but sadly I don't think enough people know enough about Darkstalkers and its cast of characters to think that the "protagonist first" rule would be broken. They'd just assume Morrigan is the protagonist of the series when it's actually Demitri.

... stuff like this is why I wish Capcom would just make Darkstalkers IV already.
At that point it'd be willful ignorance. Granted, 'protagonist first' is that too as Sakurai was very close to adding Alucard instead of Belmont but thought Classicvania fans may appreciate the Belmonts more

D

Deleted member

At that point it'd be willful ignorance. Granted, 'protagonist first' is that too as Sakurai was very close to adding Alucard instead of Belmont but thought Classicvania fans may appreciate the Belmonts more
Despite Alucard having the more unique moveset imo, I probably think Sakurai would prefer the one with the whips just in case people whine about swordies again.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Ngl I'd be pretty pissed if someone as obscure as her got in over the much bigger franchises Capcom has. I like Darkstalkers and would love the attention but Morrigan doesn't belong in Smash.
GAME SHOW TIME!!:
Kratos, Nathan Drake, Ratchet & Clank, Aloy and Delsin Rowe.

D

Deleted member

"Oh hey. It's that top tier in UMvC3. Cool."

D

Deleted member

Morrigan's not the protagonist?
Demitri was supposed to be yet Morrigan literally stole the spotlight from him.

I swear if she was actually added I'm gonna make a Thanos-Wanda meme about it.

"Oh hey. It's that top tier in UMvC3. Cool."
Now watch her be top tier in Smash. Probably.

Nope. Even if the protag was more wellknown he wouldn't get in for uhhhh
Modelling restrictions
Of course.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Huh. That is...

Wait he's the protag? Why is Morrigan more of the figurehead then?
Part of it is because Darkstalkers 3 shifted protagonism a bit, since it involves Morrigan absorbing Lilith and becoming the strongest demon in Makai. The other is because can't work without making tones of models for his Midnight Bliss attack (essentially a move that turns men into women or gives women more attractive clothes).

D

Deleted member

Now watch her be top tier in Smash. Probably..
As long as she doesn't have X-factor, that dumb clone split move, and the ability to runaway and hide behind Vergil, we're good.

Part of it is because Darkstalkers 3 shifted protagonism a bit, since it involves Morrigan absorbing Lilith and becoming the strongest demon in Makai. The other is because can't work without making tones of models for his Midnight Bliss attack (essentially a move that turns men into women or gives women more attractive clothes).
Ah. Sounds like even Capcom realized that Morrigan should be the protagonist at that point.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Huh. That is...

Wait he's the protag? Why is Morrigan more of the figurehead then?
Morrigan is technically a side character, but she's popular enough to be the go-to character for repping Darkstalkers in crossover games like Marvel vs. Capcom and Capcom vs. SNK, with Felicia the cat girl being a close second.

SNK vs. Capcom: SVC Chaos is a very, very rare instance of Darkstalkers being represented in a crossover game without Morrigan and Felicia.

D

Deleted member

As long as she doesn't have X-factor, that dumb clone split move, and the ability to runaway and hide behind Vergil, we're good.
When I was thinking of my moveset concept for her, I had no choice but to make Darkness Illusion a normal move (her Down B). Thoughts?

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Now that some people are bringing MvC jokes, I just want to say that in my headcanon, Sakurai made Zero an Assist Trophy simply because he couldn't find a way to make him work without destroying the entire metagame.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Not sure how that move would work outside of a final smash.
A clone appears at a set distance from Morrigan when she activates the move, the clone functions the same as the other games but once it's worn down there's a cooldown timer so you can't spam it. Hitting the clone would also shorten the time the clone is out, meaning if a Morrigan play theoretically tried to be complete bull**** with pressuring you from the other side of the stage, a mere jab would help ruin her day quickly

D

Deleted member

A clone appears at a set distance from Morrigan when she activates the move, the clone functions the same as the other games but once it's worn down there's a cooldown timer so you can't spam it. Hitting the clone would also shorten the time the clone is out, meaning if a Morrigan play theoretically tried to be complete bull**** with pressuring you from the other side of the stage, a mere jab would help ruin her day quickly
So basically Arsene Ice Climbers.

D

Deleted member

Not sure how that move would work outside of a final smash.
In my notebook, it says that:

Only works on symmetrical stages. Morrigan can press Down B to summon Lilith to the other side of the stage. Whatever move Morrigan does will also be mirrored. The drawback is that damage and knockback output is decreased, but in exchange, induces longer hitstun. That means in exchange for stellar zoning, she loses kill power, as none of her moves at that state will kill. But if both sides have their same move connect, the damage outout is doubled their normal output. Another drawback to this is that during this state, she takes less damage from projectiles but takes more damage from melee attacks (so rushdown characters like Roy or Sonic can just pile up their damage) and she's easier to launch.

The purpose of this moveset was to make her a counterpick against heavy zoners like Snake and Olimar.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Now that some people are bringing MvC jokes, I just want to say that in my headcanon, Sakurai made Zero an Assist Trophy simply because he couldn't find a way to make him work without destroying the entire metagame.
Oh that's easy, just add Vergil
She's the face, icon and mascot though as with Scorpion, Heihachi and Nightmare in Mortal Kombat, Tekken and Soulcalibur.
Ok but face, icon and mascot may all literally mean the same thing but it doesn't mean 'protagonist'.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Isn't that Astral Vision? Darkness Illusion is the cinematic combo thing which seems more like a final smash.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom