• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Ok but face, icon and mascot may all literally mean the same thing but it doesn't mean 'protagonist'.
Then why is it that they always get in over the protagonist? I mean if Mortal Kombat is to get into Smash its obviously going to be Scorpion and not Liu Kang whose the main protagonist. Why if an Darkstalkers rep gets in it'll be Morrigan herself.

At least as fighting game franchises goes.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Oh that's easy, just add Vergil

Ok but face, icon and mascot may all literally mean the same thing but it doesn't mean 'protagonist'.
Fighting games are weird because the mascot may legitimately not be the protagonist. Take Nightmare for instance. Dude ain't on the good spectrum in any DnD chart

D

Deleted member

Ok but face, icon and mascot may all literally mean the same thing but it doesn't mean 'protagonist
That is quite a good point. It's not alm the time that protagonists are always the mascot.

Fighting games are weird because the mascot may legitimately not be the protagonist. Take Nightmare for instance. Dude ain't on the good spectrum in any DnD chart
Also, cool design.

D

Deleted member

Darkstalkers is dead so I barely memorized **** and I saw Bold say 'clone move' so I assumed he meant that. Now I made an *** out of myself, proving I'm a chump and that everyone should shun me
Damn it Gwen. You were this close to convincing me you were a real gamer.
Isn't that Astral Vision? Darkness Illusion is the cinematic combo thing which sees more like a final smash.
Oh yeah. **** Astral Vision.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Then why is it that they always get in over the protagonist? I mean if Mortal Kombat is to get into Smash its obviously going to be Scorpion and not Liu Kang whose the main protagonist. Why if an Darkstalkers rep gets in it'll be Morrigan herself.

You called Liu Kang the main protagonist yet you say Scorpion would be first despite not being the protag arghhhh you're SO close to realizing what my point is

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
You called Liu Kang the main protagonist yet you say Scorpion would be first despite not being the protag arghhhh you're SO close to realizing what my point is
Because he would. Again he's the poster boy and with fighting game franchises in terms of crossover appearances always goes with those.

D

Deleted member

To be fair, we live in the timeline where it took until Brawl before we got a physical Pokemon Trainer in Smash.

D

Deleted member

Argh, so close yet so far, you can do it!

Also friendly reminder that Tekken had Geese instead of Terry and DOA had Mai instead of Terry for ther SNK character
Probably due to the nature of the game setting.

Tekken had Geese probably coz they got Akuma so why not make the next fighting game guest the villain?

DOA got Mai and Kula due to the female-dominant nature of the game.

D

Deleted member

My stance on this matter is that fighters should represent what games they're from. So if DQ was to get in, I'd want the hero versus the slime because the hero would represent the experience more. If you gave me a choice between Pikachu or Trainer first, I would have chosen trainer because what else is Pokemon about? (Though, it's not like Trainer would have worked on Smash 64 anyways.)

Scorpion, Nightmare, and Morrigan would represent their games respectably despite being the story's protag. As a result, I'm fine with them and expect them if their series made it in.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Probably due to the nature of the game setting.

Tekken had Geese probably coz they got Akuma so why not make the next fighting game guest the villain?

DOA got Mai and Kula due to the female-dominant nature of the game.
Exactly. They got in on their own merits instead of being the protagonist. Like Pikachu did. And like Alucard almost did

krokotopia101

Smash Apprentice
If you gave me a choice between Pikachu or Trainer first, I would have chosen trainer because what else is Pokemon about? (Though, it's not like Trainer would have worked on Smash 64 anyways.)
I'm not understanding this comparison at all...Pokemon Trainer IS the main protag....But Pikachu's the literal face of Pokemon itself...he's the literal game mascot.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
What are the chances you think we might get more Echo fighters let alone maybe and Echo Pass?
Pretty likely. Ultimate only has seven Echo Fighters right now, and it would be a good way to get characters like Dixie Kong into the game with less effort. An eventual "Echo Fighters Pass" with just those characters would not be surprising to me.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm not understanding this comparison at all...Pokemon Trainer IS the main protag....But Pikachu's the literal face of Pokemon itself...he's the literal game mascot.
But he doesn't represent the games, which is my point. I'd rather have the Trainer because they would bring the mainline Pokemon gameplay to Smash.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
That's the point. The rule was always 'protag first!' And now it's shifting the goalpost by saying it doesn't count when the fanrule breaks. And it doesn't count when Sakurai heavily suggests he himself thinks it's bull

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Pretty likely. Ultimate only has seven Echo Fighters right now, and it would be a good way to get characters like Dixie Kong into the game with less effort. An eventual "Echo Fighters Pass" with just those characters would not be surprising to me.
I see Dixie being more likely an semi-clone since I'd imagine her Up B being her Twirl and Final Smash being different. Otherwise I could see her having the Gumball Popgun and Monkey Flip being her Neutral B and Side B.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Imagine if we got a direct announced on Monday or Tuesday coming out on Thursday and alongside when Terry gets released in November. Morrigan Aensland gets announced as DLC fighter 5.

How would you all react? How would you feel about her being the final character of this Pass?
If Morrigan gets in, we need to have Chun-Li as well. I don't care about it being another Street Fighter character, it wouldn't feel right without her, like having Zelda without Peach. Sakurai clearly had no qualms overloading on Mario, Pokemon, and Fire Emblem, so just one more SF character wouldn't be the end of the world, especially when we're talking about the most popular female fighting game character of all time. She should have been the 2nd Street Fighter character anyway.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Lin honestly also has her moments. I mean, she is required for pretty much every main story mission, after all.
I was thinking of mentioning it but ultimately didn't because her only moment of focus in the main story (that I remember) is a simple darkest hour moment that was pretty quickly resolved. Honestly I think it may have developed Elma more than Lin.

I also didn't mention Irena's moment because she literally just morns the death of a character who's first appearance is his death scene that played out more like an action scene (I think he was in a skell the whole time too).

Darkstalkers is dead so I barely memorized **** and I saw Bold say 'clone move' so I assumed he meant that. Now I made an *** out of myself, proving I'm a chump and that everyone should shun me
To be fair the two moves are pretty much the same except one is actually interesting. Now that I think about it, Morrigan's Final Smash is destined to be boring. Astral Vision relies on being in a 1v1 (I suppose they could use the stage as the mirror point but even then it would be hard to justify the game turning power Final Smashes usually have when the user can just fight like normal) and Darkness Illusion is Omega Blitz and Final Edge levels of boring. She does have a missile launching super, but that one is likely to be a clone of either Zero Laser or Mario Finale or something.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Have there been any more rumors or statements from leakers in the last 24 hours or so?

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
Gotta be honest, I don't really mind if the protagonist from a video game series isn't the first fighter from that series to get into Smash just as long as we get some series representation. (Although to be fair it's probably my tendency to like the secondary characters if they prove to be interesting enough such as the Club Champs from Mario Golf and the Instructors from the SNES Pilotwings. XD )

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
GAME SHOW TIME!!:
If Sony wanted to play ball and allowed a whole fighter pass of 5 characters, who would you pick?
I would pick Sackboy(Obviously), Kratos, Parappa, Kat, and Toro
Just going from a personal desire perspective, once more:
Kyoya Suda - Forbidden Siren
Ellen - Folklore
Sire Daniel Foresque - MediEvil
Lammy - Um Jammer Lammy or Parappa - Parappa the Rappa
Vibri - Vib Ribbon

With Honorable Mention to a Wild Arms character...

inb4 Konami slips envelope to Nintendo.
Konami: "psst, it's Shanoa" :nifty:
We still need a Konami rep that incorporates pachinko mechanics into their moveset. >_>

That said, out of all possible, additional Castlevania reps, that... would be one of the better choices.
I'd favour Maria, personally, but that seems... doubtful

Konami on the whole though? They do have a certain angular antagonist that is iconic enough to serve as the Horror Rep.
Actually did another one of these things for him, so I'll throw it up, even if I doubt his plausibility because... reasons...

If they went off the rails and we ended up with a Tokimeki Memorial rep out of Konami, I'd totally be up for that too though.

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
If we got a Playstation rep, I think it'd be Toro. IDK. It'd be such a Sakurai thing to do, and there's some merit behind it.

Also, I'm digging all of that Gravity Rush love~ Just let Nintendo adopt this series, Sony; it would be so perfect for the Switch! D:

terry presentation nov 5, release nov 6

i beat masahiro sakurai at smash brothers in his own house and he told me this very secret info
You're joking, but if you're wrong, I'm going to Gentlepanda Gentlepanda you for no reason every time I make a post for the rest of the year. If you're right? Neat.

What are the chances you think we might get more Echo fighters let alone maybe and Echo Pass?
I think they're likely later down the road.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I don't think Pyramid Head could be done justice as a playable character. It'd be one thing if this was a traditional fighting game where it could be slow but oppressive, but in smash you have to allow this lumbering creature to run and jump around (eliminating any chance of the character being unnerving whatsoever) and due to it's mechanics, slow = nonthreatening so the character wouldn't even be intimidating. A silent hill protagonist would likely be a better pick for a playable character, and Pyramid Head himself would do very well as an assist trophy that acted similarly to The Black Knight. You could even add in multiple protagonists Hero style and use the various mechanics from each game in order to fully represent Silent Hill's take on the survival horror genre.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Have there been any more rumors or statements from leakers in the last 24 hours or so?
No.
Not likely or not happening at all.

Echoes were a way for Sakurai and the team to squeeze in a couple of extra characters during development of the base game. Now that they're developing DLC, there's no reason for them to develop characters as full characters given they're not limited by time or resources. Unless an echo is tied to a DLC character, I highly doubt we'll get any.

Plank08

Smash Lord
I feel the whole protagonist first rule was broken when the game started cause Pikachu got in over the Pokémon trainer.
Mascot > Protagonist
So basically sans over frisk type stuff

D

Deleted member

Man, did the Ninteninjas kill Vergeben or something?
If I had to guess, he's probably not only checking with his own sources but checking with other leakers.

Plus it's not like he should say his info immediately after receiving it.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
Man, did the Ninteninjas kill Vergeben or something?
I'd say not to expect anything from him for a while. As it stands, it seems that no one has even an inkling of a guess on who it is and those that do have really only said who it's not (Hayabusa and Crash).

D

Deleted member

I think this whole mascot/protagonist argument in regards with Pokemon is faulty in general.

Pokemon are pretty much the main feature and attraction of the JRPG series unlike DQ, Persona, FF which are defined more by their protagonists. Having Pikachu on the game over trainer on Smash 64 is a unique situation given how the characters in Pokemon are managed uniquely.

Remember kids, each game series handles character differently even if they have the roles of protagonists/mascots/poster boys/poster girls/heroes/villains. Which is even more notorious in fighting games, you have SF and DoA(at least until 5) where their main protagonists/mascots/poster boy are the same character. Tekken and SC has the main villains be the mascot, Tekken protagonist varies and in the case of SC the protagonist and poster boy/girl roles are given to different characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom