• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
I don't think Pyramid Head could be done justice as a playable character. It'd be one thing if this was a traditional fighting game where it could be slow but oppressive, but in smash you have to allow this lumbering creature to run and jump around (eliminating any chance of the character being unnerving whatsoever) and due to it's mechanics, slow = nonthreatening so the character wouldn't even be intimidating. A silent hill protagonist would likely be a better pick for a playable character, and Pyramid Head himself would do very well as an assist trophy that acted similarly to The Black Knight. You could even add in multiple protagonists Hero style and use the various mechanics from each game in order to fully represent Silent Hill's take on the survival horror genre.
Yeah, the fact that he's a lumbering juggernaut is one of the main things he has against him. I've thought of a few things you could do with him (have him disperse into rust and decay, then reform as an up-special, for example), but for the most part it feels limiting to keep him true to his nature. At the very least you'd need him to have a huge amount of super-armor moves and a huge reach, but at a certain point that would just make him feel more like a boss than a playable character.

Granted, Konami made him chibi and had him play sports, run around Bomberman mazes, and drive a kart, so there's that... >_>

As far as using the protagonists goes, in general I think they make a poor choice to represent horror games. There are a few games that are exceptions to this, having both a lead with abilities that lend themselves to being playable, and a setting that helps justify it (eg: Alexandra Roivas from Eternal Darkness and Samanosuke Akechi from Onimusha: Warlords, if you want to count it), but in general, not so much.
If they did go that route, as I've said before, just embrace the ridiculous unlockables and give us Heather Mason with a Princess Heart kit, a sub-machine-gun, and the beamsaber... >_>

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
What are the chances you think we might get more Echo fighters let alone maybe and Echo Pass?
Depends on how things work out and if Sakurai wants to go for a full 100 characters. By my maths, if 10 more characters are added after Terry that would make for 90 characters (92 if PKMN Trainer is counted separately) so let's say 10 more Echos are added to round out the numbers.

Few ideas

:ultdk:: Funky Kong
:ultluigi:: Gooigi
:ultsheik:(:ultcloud:): Impa (Hyrule Warriors version)
:ultzelda:: Hilda
:ultsonic:: Blaze the Cat
:ultwolf:: Leon
:ultlucario:: Zeraora
:ultmegaman:: Roll
:ultpalutena:: Medusa
:ultinkling:: Octoling
Crash Bandicoot: Coco Bandicoot

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
If Sony wanted to play ball and allowed a whole fighter pass of 5 characters, who would you pick?
Kratos, Ratchet & Clank, Sly Cooper, Jak & Daxter, Sackboy.

At that point it'd be willful ignorance. Granted, 'protagonist first' is that too as Sakurai was very close to adding Alucard instead of Belmont but thought Classicvania fans may appreciate the Belmonts more
To be fair, Alucard and Morrigan ARE protagonists. They just aren't FIRST protagonists. Which hasn't been a rule for awhile now since we got Cloud instead of Warrior of Light.

Fighting games are weird because the mascot may legitimately not be the protagonist.
It's not like the macot getting in over the protagonist hasn't always been a thing in Smash. From all the way back in Smash 64 when Pikachu got in before Trainer.

But he doesn't represent the games, which is my point. I'd rather have the Trainer because they would bring the mainline Pokemon gameplay to Smash.
Which was ****ing awful. Just like bringing DQ gameplay to Smash was.

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
We have to stop relying on leaks so much and start looking for mistakes Nintendo (or other companies) left behind for us to find. Whether it's data left behind in the files, advertisements, etc., time and time again, they put that stuff out there lol.

I still think it's amazing how Joker is the only one we never saw coming (heh) until his announcement. But even after that, Best Buy put his render up on the site, so at least we knew when he was about to drop. Terry almost got away with it too, if it wasn't for you meddling kids that whole SNK thing.

I do love genuine surprises though, so I hope nothing slips through the cracks, despite our efforts. For example, the old Bayonetta/Cloud reveals were super awesome and pleasant surprises (although I wasn't invested in speculation back then, so IDK if they were leaked before that). There's nothing wrong with a good surprise, ya know? We just gotta be patient.

Last edited:

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
We have to stop relying on leaks so much and start looking for mistakes Nintendo (or other companies) left behind for us to find. Whether it's data left behind in the files, advertisements, etc., time and time again, they put that stuff out there lol.

I still think it's amazing how Joker is the only one we never saw coming (heh) until his announcement. But even after that, Best Buy put his render up on the site, so at least we knew when he was about to drop. Terry almost got away with it too, if it wasn't for you meddling kids that whole SNK thing.

I do love genuine surprises though, so I hope nothing slips through the cracks, despite our efforts. For example, the old Bayonetta/Cloud reveals were super awesome and pleasant surprises (although I wasn't invested in speculation back then, so IDK if they were leaked before that). There's nothing wrong with a good surprise, ya know? We just gotta be patient.
That has been what's going on though. The SNK accident got caught right away. There just aren't that many to find

SNEKeater

Smash Master

Yeah, I agree with you. As I said in other messages, I'd rather FP5 not being leaked. And if the character 'must' be leaked, well, I prefer that to happen soon. I mean if Nintendo announces a direct for the next day and then some leakers spoils the character, that would be unnecessary. Why not before? If leakers will say who is it I hope they will say it soon and not 2 or 3 days before the official announcement. At that point better be quiet, I think.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128

I still think it's amazing how Joker is the only one we didn't for sure see coming (heh) until his announcement. But even after that, Best Buy put his render up on the site, so at least we knew when he was about to drop. Terry almost got away with it too, if it wasn't for you meddling kids that whole SNK thing.

I do love genuine surprises though, so I hope nothing slips through the cracks. For example, the old Bayonetta/Cloud reveals were super awesome (although I wasn't invested in speculation back then, so IDK if they were leaked before that).
So to sum up how we found out about each DLC fighter

• Joker: Pretty much came out of nowhere (params for "Jack" were found back in November 28th when a technical discord was finding the fighter params, but was not leaked since it was a week before the game came out)
  • Hero: Datamined on December 5th and news spread a month later
  • Banjo: Was in basically every leak out there but the most notable one was the ResetEra post a week before E3
  • Terry: SNK trademark was found on the page for Fighter Pack 4 back in September 1st (four days before Terry being confirmed)
Might as well start taking bets for how Fighter 5 will get found out before being revealed.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593

• Joker: Pretty much came out of nowhere (params for "Jack" were found back in November 28th when a technical discord was finding the fighter params, but was not leaked since it was a week before the game came out)
  • Banjo: Was in basically every leak out there but the most notable one was the ResetEra post a week before E3
  • Terry: SNK trademark was found on the page for Fighter Pack 4 back in September 1st (four days before Terry being confirmed)
Might as well start taking bets for how Fighter 5 will get found out before being revealed.
I'm going with leaked via Nintendo releasing Terry's update early and someone checks the in game news section to find #5.

D

Deleted member

Inb4, Nintendo gets Sony-hacked.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion

Sakurais scheduled tweet about the fighter pass goes a week early.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
As far as using the protagonists goes, in general I think they make a poor choice to represent horror games. There's a few games where the setting and the lead's abilities do makes sense to choose them as a rep (Alexandra Roivas from Eternal Darkness and Samanosuke Akechi from Onimusha: Warlords, if you want to count it), but in general, not so much.
If they did go that route, as I've said before, just embrace the ridiculous unlockables and give us Heather Mason with a Princess Heart kit, a sub-machine-gun, and the beamsaber... >_>
Well...The protagonists can't give off the feeling of dread like the monsters can, but even the monsters can't really do much in the fear department since the monster and the other player are on equal footing more or less, dying isn't really that big of a deal, and the atmosphere is completely different. Nemesis T-type did a decent job of giving off that horror feel in Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3/Infinite, but even then it just feels like a monster from an action flick rather than a horror game. Super Smash Bros. makes this even worse because you'd be trying to make a slow but oppressive (generally an oxymoron in this series) character that's unnerving in both dark stages like Frigate Orpheon and Dracula's Castle, and stages where everything's cutesey like all of the Yoshi stages.

The protagonists on the other hand can give the feel of being in the situations horror games put you in; every shot must count and you have to commit to an option in order for the problem to go away, but if you miss you can be severely punished. Then again if you wanted the most notable character from the game the monster might still be your go-to rep, but you will be hard pressed to represent it accurately, especially in Super Smash Bros. where they can't be bloody or too disfigured.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
The other is because can't work without making tones of models for his Midnight Bliss attack (essentially a move that turns men into women or gives women more attractive clothes).
What they need to do, is add the Super Crown as an item, give everyone a princess form, then have Midnight Bliss reuse those models.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Imagine if we got a direct announced on Monday or Tuesday coming out on Thursday and alongside when Terry gets released in November. Morrigan Aensland gets announced as DLC fighter 5.

How would you all react? How would you feel about her being the final character of this Pass?
She’s a very nostalgic character to me. And I like her a lot.
But... I er.... don’t like Darkstalkers all that much, tbh.
I like her for being Miss Capcom crossover, so I would genuinely be happy if she was in, but not as Morrigan from Darkstalkers.
I guess it’s because I wasn’t exposed to Darkstalkers until like a decade after playing MvC.

Also, I’d be a bit worried that her moveset would be 60% shoto.

I’d still put her under my personal hype inclusions category.

D

Deleted member

She’s a very nostalgic character to me. And I like her a lot.
But... I er.... don’t like Darkstalkers all that much, tbh.
I like her for being Miss Capcom crossover, so I would genuinely be happy if she was in, but not as Morrigan from Darkstalkers.
I guess it’s because I wasn’t exposed to Darkstalkers until like a decade after playing MvC.

Also, I’d be a bit worried that her moveset would be 60% shoto.

I’d still put her under my personal hype inclusions category.
They could make a lot of her stuff not shoto.

Lessen her weight, make her fluidity be similar to someone like Mario, and have a different Side B and Down B

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

Lessen her weight, make her fluidity be similar to someone like Mario, and have a different Side B and Down B
Her Shoryuu could be multi hit, and her Soul Fist travels diagonally down while in the air, so those are two good changes.

A command grab for Side+B perhaps? I recall that technique where she hovers across the screen to grab opponent. Maybe a second Side B if she misses makes her come back with a drill in her legs.

Yeah I recall a few cool moves. And Sakurai would definitely make her different enough to feel brand new.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Morrigan's specials are:
  • Soul Fist: Hadouken, but it fires diagonally downward when used in the air.
  • Shadow Blade: Shoryuken, but it's probably not as powerful as Ryu's.
  • Shell Kick: A multihit attack that would likely be a normal in Smash. (Forward Aerial?)
  • Vector Drain: A command grab similar to Bowser's.
  • Shell Pierce: Never seen this attack so I don't know what it does.
I think she has enough potential to not have all of her specials make her act like the shotos. Heck, in MvC she's a zoner.

Last edited:

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
On my first play through of DOOM ‘16 for Switch.... HOLY F***K!

This man would be an absolute killer addition to Smash. DOOM pioneered FPS’s back in the day, and its doing so now.

Also the OST in Smash would be the hardest music in the game

Hexodus

Smash Cadet
I don't know if we're still considering Indie reps to be in the running, but if we are... keep an eye on Toby Fox.

The dude's been a little weirdly cozy with Nintendo (and the Japanese gaming industry in general, to a lesser extent) lately.

Announcement and release trailers for Undertale and Deltarune didn't air on the "Indie Directs." They show up on the regular Nintendo Directs. (It might be worthwhile to look at, since the introduction of the "Indie Direct" concept, what other indie games get shown in mainline directs instead of "Indie" directs.)

(Speaking of Deltarune, it's a little weird that the free demo for a spinoff/sequel game that won't be finished for years is already available on the Switch.)

The Sans costume and song is called Undertale's "debut" in Smash Ultimate on the official Undertale twitter. Interesting choice of words. A debut is the first appearance of something, typically with the implication that more is to come. (The exact same word is also used on Undertale's Japanese twitter.)

Yes, I know. The Sans costume basically deconfirms him as a fighter. But Undertale does have other characters. It is entirely possible Fox and/or Sakurai could have ended up disagreeing with popular consensus regarding the character to best represent Undertale as a series.

Even if you don't believe an Undertale rep could ever happen, I think it's reasonable to at least expect a second set of Undertale DLC to be in the works. Even if it's just a stage, some more costumes, or something as minor and trivial as a handful of new spirits on the Spirit Board.

KatKit

Smash Lord

Aside from Soul Fist and Shadow Blade, Morrigan plays nothing like them anyway. And even those two moves operate differently because of her aerial game (different speeds, height, trajectories, and her ability to hover/cancel her uppercut to stay airborne). Every other attack she has is just... different, really. A command grab, her shell kicks, various normal attacks with multi-hitting properties, and even the fact that she fights with her hair, transformable wings, etc. They'd also probably give Morrigan an air dash.

CureParfait

Smash Ace

Maybe their trademark will be found just like Terry or comes out of nowhere.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
Maybe Fighter 5 will be leaked the same way the Belmonts were: Nintendo tries uploading a track intended for Smash to YouTube, only to accidentally give it a title that references something related to Fighter 5.

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
My favorite one was when Nintendo leaked Stage Builder in a commercial. A subtle 'blink and you'll miss it' honest mistake on their part, but a mistake nonetheless:

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Maybe Fighter 5 will be leaked the same way the Belmonts were: Nintendo tries uploading a track intended for Smash to YouTube, only to accidentally give it a title that references something related to Fighter 5.
The video titles for official Smash music track uploads have numbers as names to prevent another Bloody Tears/Monster Dance incident.

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
Depends on how things work out and if Sakurai wants to go for a full 100 characters. By my maths, if 10 more characters are added after Terry that would make for 90 characters (92 if PKMN Trainer is counted separately) so let's say 10 more Echos are added to round out the numbers.

Few ideas

My dream is :ultmewtwo: with Gygas from Earthbound Zero.

GKMLTTSB

Smash Ace
Well...The protagonists can't give off the feeling of dread like the monsters can, but even the monsters can't really do much in the fear department since the monster and the other player are on equal footing more or less, dying isn't really that big of a deal, and the atmosphere is completely different. Nemesis T-type did a decent job of giving off that horror feel in Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3/Infinite, but even then it just feels like a monster from an action flick rather than a horror game. Super Smash Bros. makes this even worse because you'd be trying to make a slow but oppressive (generally an oxymoron in this series) character that's unnerving in both dark stages like Frigate Orpheon and Dracula's Castle, and stages where everything's cutesey like all of the Yoshi stages.

The protagonists on the other hand can give the feel of being in the situations horror games put you in; every shot must count and you have to commit to an option in order for the problem to go away, but if you miss you can be severely punished. Then again if you wanted the most notable character from the game the monster might still be your go-to rep, but you will be hard pressed to represent it accurately, especially in Super Smash Bros. where they can't be bloody or too disfigured.
The biggest thing is that protagonists tend to either be soldiers or everymen, so when you take them out of context, their abilities and aesthetic don't really convey anything about the nature of their games. Granted, Captain Falcon, Fox, etc. are a thing, so that wouldn't be unique to them, but either way, if you're going to incorporate this kind of series, it feels like a waste to me.

You could try to come up with a unique 'horror' mechanic for some of them, I suppose, but there's really only a select few that particularly lend themselves to it, and it's difficult to think of a meaningful way to implement it. Spin the panic system from Clock Tower into a mechanic, for instance, and it either is a straight-up detriment to the player or becomes just a thematically-different take on a berserker (low control and erratic movements, but increased offensive abilities).

Or you could incorporate the monsters into the moveset, but this tends to also feel awkward outside of very specific contexts (like Alexandra summoning a horror or a trapper). They went this route with Jill in MvC2, but it feels kind of odd, and I don't see it working especially well in Smash.

Honestly, if they can't adapt one of the horror antagonists properly, unless they can come up with something really unique, target one of the few protagonists that logically fits, or just go with someone who is over-the-top fun (Frank West, Kyoya Suda, Princess Heart Heather, etc.), a stage is the best representation they can go with. "Silent Hill" is the best representation of Silent Hill, after all...

Yes, I know. The Sans costume basically deconfirms him as a fighter. But Undertale does have other characters. It is entirely possible Fox and/or Sakurai could have ended up disagreeing with popular consensus regarding the character to best represent Undertale as a series.
Bob it is.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Still holding out hope for Resident Evil, though I have a sneaking suspicion the next pick is from Tales of or Tekken. Guess we’ll just have to wait to find out.

I did want to mention, the only characters directly implied by leakers at this point to be “out” are Crash, Ryu Hayabusa, and Tracer. The KOS-MOS leak is dead, and the Reimu one lost a ton of credibility.

Any other character or series is essentially fair game.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

Few ideas

:ultyoshi:: *coughcheckmysigcough* :yoshi:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

Few ideas

Not bad!
I’d choose these echoes.
:ultsonic: Metal Sonic / Shadow
:ultmegaman: Protoman / Roll
:ulthero: Heroines (Girl Erdrick, Sofia, Analucia, Celestrian girl)
:ultpalutena: Medusa
:ultcloud: Crono (I can dream?)
:ultness:/:ultlucas: Ninten (sorta like Chrom?)
:ultdiddy:/:ultdk: Dixie (^)
:ultzelda: Hilda
:ultsheik: Impa
:ultyoshi: Birdo (just different Up and N specials).

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
It feels odd, but I’m goin in with Reimu as our fifth fighter.
It may seem odd, but after what the Discord discovered in relation to the rumor, I feel a bit more confident.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Not bad!
I’d choose these echoes.
:Sonic: Metal Sonic / Shadow
:Megaman: Protoman / Roll
:Hero: Heroines (Girl Erdrick, Sofia, Analucia, Celestrian girl)
:palutena: Medusa
:Cloud: Crono (I can dream?)
:Ness:/:Lucas: Ninten (sorta like Chrom?)
:Diddy:/:Donkey: Dixie (^)
:Zelda: Hilda
:Sheik: Impa
:Yoshi: Birdo (just different Up and N specials).
If Impa and Dixie are reduced to Echoes, I will riot.
(Also, funny timing, as I just mentioned who deserves an echo in the first party thread. Maybe I'll edit this post and C/P it.)
EDIT:
:ultpacman: - Ms. Pac-Man
:ultmegaman: - Proto Man
:ultbowser: - Dry Bowser
:ultcloud: - Zack Fair
:ultbayonetta: - Jeanne
:ultdk: - Funky Kong
:ultinkling: - Octoling
:ultolimar: - Louie
:ultluigi: - Gooigi
:ultsonic: - Shadow
:ultpikachu: - Raichu
:ultlucario: - Zoroark (Lucario without Aura Mechanic. Replace Side B with Wolf's Side B)
:ultcharizard: - Dragonite (Smash 4 Zard)
:ultness: - Ninten
:ultfalcon: - Black Shadow (Melee Ganondorf)
Crash Bandicoot (We all know he's coming) - Coco Bandicoot
I haven't played 3 Houses yet, but I'm sure Byleth could be an echo of someone.

Last edited:

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman
On my first play through of DOOM ‘16 for Switch.... HOLY F***K!

This man would be an absolute killer addition to Smash. DOOM pioneered FPS’s back in the day, and its doing so now.

Also the OST in Smash would be the hardest music in the game
Personally I feel like they wouldnt include any of the new Doom music but that's just me. I feel like it has a different vibe and it'd clash a bit. But then again, the DLC characters we've gotten all have unique styles of music so i dunno

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
(Also, funny timing, as I just mentioned who deserves an echo in the first party thread. Maybe I'll edit this post and C/P it.)
I like to think that Chrom and Ken have set new standards for Echoes. So at least I wouldn’t complain if echoes are done this way now, but I get why people would riot lol.

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
EDIT:
Maybe it's just a me thing, but I'd much rather have characters I want in as Echos than not at all. Then again, most of my want list is never going to happen or is likely going to not get picked so yeah

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Whoever said
:ultsonic:Blaze
Your amazing how did I not think of that blaze is the sonic of her dimension

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
I like to think that Chrom and Ken have set new standards for Echoes. So at least I wouldn’t complain if echoes are done this way now, but I get why people would riot lol.
If we are getting DLC Echo Fighters, they're gonna have to be like Chrom and Ken, in that there's at least a few gameplay differences.

Otherwise, it'd be asking people to spend money on characters who are basically just glorified alternate costumes, when they would be better off either with the above, or just having an actual alternate costume pack (which I'm surprised hasn't been done yet for the other characters besides the Mii Fighters).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom