• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I'm on the same boat. The last piece of information we got seems to hurt Ryu tho. Phoenix is one of my personal favorite, and being a silly character, one with more historic support than others from Capcom, and one with global recognition and acceptance in the Smash community, meanwhile not being so much marketable for the common folks, make me strongly believe in his chance as last character for the current pass - I would vote for him as "most likely" - but RE and Dante are good runners-up.
I don't think Dante would be CP5 - not after Matt Walker said he wasn't in. He could come after the Pass, but I'm considering him disconfirmed for the last spot right now. So it would be decided between Jill, Leon or Phoenix if it came to Capcom.

I wonder if Sabi's source actually heard some curveball that no one is thinking about...

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I wonder if Sabi's source actually heard some curveball that no one is thinking about...
that’s what I’m thinking too. Due to her C&D, she can’t say who IS in, but CAN say who is NOT in

kinda weird logic but I guess that’s how she operates and it’s what the situation rn seems to imply

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Wednesday is when they were all released.
The "Terry presentation with Phoenix at the end" actually listed the date as November 6th, which is a Wednesday.

So Gwen's theory holds up. Could just be someone trying to use pattern recognition.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
I don't think Dante would be CP5 - not after Matt Walker said he wasn't in. He could come after the Pass, but I'm considering him disconfirmed for the last spot right now. So it would be decided between Jill, Leon or Phoenix if it came to Capcom.

Matt Walker said that back in August before the Fighter Pass was confirmed.

Meanwhile, Itsuno said in February:
VG247 said:
“Well, you think about it… I’m pretty sure that they… all the characters in Smash at least have some game on a Nintendo platform, right?” Itsuno said after a bit of a chuckle. There’s Cloud Strife from Final Fantasy 7 too, he notes, but as Itsuno points out, Cloud at least represents a series with a rich history on Nintendo.

“Well, that’s the thing. Devil May Cry has never been on a Nintendo platform. So it seems like the first thing to do would be to get Capcom to put Devil May Cry on a Nintendo platform in some way, shape or form – whatever game that might be,” Itsuno concludes. “Tell her!” he adds with a laugh, gesturing to the Capcom UK representative who can pass feedback on fevered requests for some DMC Switch ports back up the chain.
There are now DMC ports on the Switch. Something is adding up...

Source: https://www.vg247.com/2019/02/07/dante-smash-bros-devil-may-cry-switch/

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Inb4 Terry’s presentation is on a Thursday

that would be interesting indeed

or even Monday, since Smash 4’s Robin/Lucina (plus veteran Captain Falcon) reveal was on a Monday. I remember cause the old Shulk thread thought that day was going to be “Monado Monday”

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Tons of leaks with varying degrees of credibility: *say stuff*

Sabi, who dynamited any credibility she has when she lied to make Vergeben speak and again with the Brew situation: uhhh I can't say who it is but [vague comment]

Yeah I know I'm staying in my lane.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
It must be Dante's time to shine. The stars are aligning for him to close off the Fighter Pass (and finally get the crossover with Bayonetta that DMC and Bayo fans have been clamoring Kamiya and Itsuno for).

He doing this dance in his trailer reveal would be impossible to top.

RodNutTakin

Smash Ace
Praying that Arle is either FP5 or one of the first Post-Pass fighters. Sega's really been pushing her franchise outside of Japan recently, and us getting Super Puyo 2 instead of Kirby's Avalanche on SNES Online is a clear indicator that Nintendo is willing to play ball with Sega on that end as well. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if that wasn't the only thing that came out of whatever agreement the two companies made...

...oh yeah, I forgot to mention, but while I was away from this site for the better part of 2019 I got addicted to the Puyo franchise thanks to a friend. Hoping that more games from that series see official localizations.

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
So there was Phoenix Wright leak, huh? I love wacky characters.
If this turned out to be true, then I'm pretty much okay.

43 名無しさん必死だな 2019/10/10(木) 14:26:27.35 ID:rU/0p1R601010
霊夢はくるよ
いつかはしらんけど
あとホムヒカいるかはしらんがレックスも参戦確定
忍者龍剣伝と逆転裁判もくる
スーパーマリオRPGのジーノ、それとテイルズシリーズからの参戦
たぶん今のところこれで全員だと思う
これ以降もいるかもしれんけど交渉はまだしてないはず
順番とかはしらん

https://www.logsoku.com/r/2ch.sc/ghard/1570612952/ID:rU/0p1R601010.net

Translation:
Full translation for it.

Post 1
Reimu is coming.
I don't know when though.
Also not sure about Pyra and Mythra but Rex is definitely in too.
Ninja Gaiden and Ace Attorney are coming as well.
Geno from Super Mario RPG, and Tales series are joining.
I guess that's all for now.
May be there will be more but I don't think negotiations haven't started yet.
I don't know the order.

Post 2 (Who's represented as the Tales series?)
Probably Lloyd of Symphonia.
Actually both Lloyd and Yuri are said to be joining but I think Yuri is for Mii.

Post 3 (Who are you?)
I'm nobody...
These things come out a little about a year or a year and half before.
Tend to get forgotten because info dies out after getting into actual development, but things leak out in the very initial stage of marketing strategies.

Post 4 (Are you the same guy posted the suppposed early ballot result?)
That's new to me.
That kind of internal data usually don't leak out.

Post 5 (Reply to the ballot result leak)
If this is legit then I think only someone from Nintendo HQ can leak...
At least, this is not the kind of information I can get from my position, even if I hear rumors, it's impossible to know this much detailed.

Post 6 (You said definite for Rex so you do have backups for your source right?)
Well, it's not something from vague so yeah.
May be definitely isn't the word I should've use but 99% correct without a doubt.

Decent lineup but no.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

霊夢はくるよ
いつかはしらんけど
あとホムヒカいるかはしらんがレックスも参戦確定
忍者龍剣伝と逆転裁判もくる
たぶん今のところこれで全員だと思う
順番とかはしらん

Translation:
Does this person have anything backing what they say or did they just name-drop 6 characters and expect fame and recognition?

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
Does this person have anything backing what they say or did they just name-drop 6 characters and expect fame and recognition?
Nothing.
Someone was bringing this up on Sabi or PapaGenos' Discord before.
I saw a post mentioning that all the characters in this leak luckily avoided Harada Incident.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
So it seems like none of the currently most discussed characters are next? If that truly is the case, then nice. Maybe there's gonna be a first-party in, after all.

霊夢はくるよ
いつかはしらんけど
あとホムヒカいるかはしらんがレックスも参戦確定
忍者龍剣伝と逆転裁判もくる
たぶん今のところこれで全員だと思う
順番とかはしらん

Translation:
Yeah, no. No way in hell that this person just so happens to know all of these characters way in advance.

I think it's agreed upon that the "frontrunners" were Ryu and Crash due to "leaks" and "insider info".
For Ryu, It's literally just one rumor (the one from IAmShifty/Brew, they both have the same source(s) so it's basically the same). Some other "leakers" are just surfing on that rumor to create a bunch of fake leaks with Ryu in them.

You're right tho, it's agreed upon that he is a "frontrunner", at least here, but i'm pretty sure it's mainly due to people repeating his name over and over because there wasn't much left to talk about (like some would say, an echochamber effect). I'm sure that when Sabi refers to "the frontrunners", she refers to Hayabusa, there's no denying that but i'm just questionning the fact that he was considered a frontrunner in the first place (based on 1 rumor, not a bad one but y'know IAmShifty/Brew could very well be wrong like many others before them).

Maybe i'm too skeptic or even pessimistic idk, probably because, like many other Hayabusa supporters, i don't want to put too much stock in a rumor just to be disappointed in the end. Anyway, just my two cents, people are free to speculate how they want obviously, just wanted to share my opinion.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
that’s what I’m thinking too. Due to her C&D, she can’t say who IS in, but CAN say who is NOT in

kinda weird logic but I guess that’s how she operates and it’s what the situation rn seems to imply
...For CP5, maybe. Let's hope someone else speaks up soon. The information seems to be flowing much faster now.

Matt Walker said that back in August before the Fighter Pass was confirmed.

Meanwhile, Itsuno said in February:

There are now DMC ports on the Switch. Something is adding up...
(Removed links for mobile convenience)

You say that, but Vergeben already knew about "a Square character" back then and another user (I believe it was Opossum Opossum , maybe you can confirm that again) posted once about how Banjo negotiations seemed to first pop up around April 2018. The pass was decided (or at least started being decided) before Matt made that statement, it seems.

Maybe we'll get a Kirkhope situation, but I really doubt it in Dante's case, even more so because Walker gave a straight "no" instead of playing around with words. Again, the situation with the ports makes me think that if a Capcom rep was "saved" for season two, then Dante's chances will rise drastically, but as far as Challenger Pack 5 goes, I don't think he's coming.

Sysreq

Smash Ace

霊夢はくるよ
いつかはしらんけど
あとホムヒカいるかはしらんがレックスも参戦確定
忍者龍剣伝と逆転裁判もくる
たぶん今のところこれで全員だと思う
順番とかはしらん

Translation:
I would be pretty goddamn okay with those characters, but idk why we should believe that person.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
Nothing.
Someone was bringing this up on Sabi or PapaGenos' Discord before.
I saw a post mentioning that all the characters in this leak luckily avoided Harada Incident.
I would take Harada’s tweets as “Stop spamming us for characters!” rather than an explicit deconfirmation of those characters.

Cyberfire

Smash Journeyman
Anyone think the reason we are seeing so many different character names is because they're leakbait? Development team trying to fish out the sources?

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Anyone think the reason we are seeing so many different character names is because their leakbait? Development team trying to fish out the sources?
It’s possible. Harada at Bandai Namco has been known to do that with Tekken, and since Bamco is helping with Smash...

it’s possible Hayabusa, Crash and or Doom Slayer, who are common names in leaks, and Reimu just now who would be an “off the wall” pick fit that bill

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット

霊夢はくるよ
いつかはしらんけど
あとホムヒカいるかはしらんがレックスも参戦確定
忍者龍剣伝と逆転裁判もくる
たぶん今のところこれで全員だと思う
順番とかはしらん

Translation:
Wayy too good to be true. It's the opposite of the 4chan text we got a week or so ago. This aims to please several highly supported fandoms, while that one aimed to enrage them.

Both seem immediately fake.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
...For CP5, maybe. Let's hope someone else speaks up soon. The information seems to be flowing much faster now.

(Removed links for mobile convenience)

You say that, but Vergeben already knew about "a Square character" back then and another user (I believe it was Opossum Opossum , maybe you can confirm that again) posted once about how Banjo negotiations seemed to first pop up around April 2018. The pass was decided (or at least started being decided) before Matt made that statement, it seems.

Maybe we'll get a Kirkhope situation, but I really doubt it in Dante's case, even more so because Walker gave a straight "no" instead of playing around with words. Again, the situation with the ports makes me think that if a Capcom rep was "saved" for season two, then Dante's chances will rise drastically, but as far as Challenger Pack 5 goes, I don't think he's coming.
Yeah, April 2018 (give or take like two weeks) was about when Banjo was seemingly decided.

As a whole, the Fighter Pass was likely finalized quite a bit before we even saw the game at E3.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797

霊夢はくるよ
いつかはしらんけど
あとホムヒカいるかはしらんがレックスも参戦確定
忍者龍剣伝と逆転裁判もくる
たぶん今のところこれで全員だと思う
順番とかはしらん

Translation:
Phoenix.... win?

Is it possible? Are my dreams coming true?

D

Deleted member

So from what I can get from this person, they are known for making fake leaks but somehow may have real information about the Mii costume line up so their credibility is dubious.

What's funny is that I saw from Fatmanonice's replies on the Geno thread that aside from Ryu, Geno and Crash there are four potential post fighters pass characters so while it's not exactly info there seems to be some talk going around the post fighters pass.
Can't talk about it. I'm under strict orders that I can't even so much as hint at who else has been talked about behind the scenes aside from Geno and Ryu because of all the problems it caused when I hinted at Banjo back in April. I will say, however, based on what I know, at least 4 post pass characters seems likely and that 5 and 6 will probably be revealed by the end of the year (possibly even 7 depending on how things go). Nobody knows about the VGAs yet but I could see it happening, especially if 5 and 6 aren't revealed in close tandem.
WELL this is a potentially interesting development:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/630974643091537940/635914583218978825/papagenossabi.PNG

“Front runners” being Ryu Hayabusa, Crash, possibly Doom Slayer and/or Resident Evil character...
>Fatmanonice says there's a possibility for a 7th character reveal to happen before 2020
>Sabi apparently saying all the front runners aren't likely according to 1 of her sources

Okay guys I swear to God I'm really feeling that Zhao Yun and Yukimura Sanada from both Warriors franchises are gonna be revealed and completely knock everyone's predictions off the windows pls Sakurai.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Anyone think the reason we are seeing so many different character names is because they're leakbait? Development team trying to fish out the sources?
I think it's just that more and more people are making up fake leaks as we approach the next character reveal.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I wonder if we are close to solving the mystery of “Jane”....
If Jane is Kasumi Yoshizawa, I think she’ll be post pass personally
Ill post my theory here on what the hell Jane/Ponytail meshes is/are

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
Ill post my theory here on what the hell Jane/Ponytail meshes is/are

Yeah. I saw that post. Seems to be definitive, though part of me is still uncertain as to believe whether or not that is true. Are hair physics and animation being used for Joker’s coat? A modder could probably answer that.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Yeah. I saw that post. Seems to be definitive, though part of me is still uncertain as to believe whether or not that is true. Are hair physics and animation being used for Joker’s coat? A modder could probably answer that.
The "Ponytail" mesh was left over data, from before being shoved into Joker's final model
So we wouldn't know, even with the data.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
The "Ponytail" mesh was left over data, from before being shoved into Joker's final model
So we wouldn't know, even with the data.
Either way, I don’t think we will truly know the answer until either “Jane”, assuming she is indeed a character, is revealed or until Smash’s post-launch is wrapped up with no sign to suggest such a character exists, which would confirm what the 3D artist postulated.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Either way, I don’t think we will truly know the answer until either “Jane”, assuming she is indeed a character, is revealed or until Smash’s post-launch is wrapped up with no sign to suggest such a character exists, which would confirm what the 3D artist postulated.
You'd be right if we already didn't know that Fighter 1/2/3 were the only thing being developped alongside Stage Creator at the same time.
So, since we did find Jane's leftover data or whatever with Joker's data.
It means that, with how the timeline work, as far as back in april, it must have been something for either Joker/Hero/Banjo

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom