• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
I feel like Doom edges out specifically because it's had a very stable popularity ever since it's inception while Elder Scrolls is... Literally Skyrim. Like, you can argue Oblivion was a big deal, and honestly, I prefer Oblivion, but I don't think ES was considered a big big deal UNTIL Skyrim. Doom has been a big deal since it's inception what with helping the ESRB become a thing, it being drastically popular, it's evolution into survival horror, the "can it run Doom" meme, and now 2016's Doom Reboot and Doom Eternal are just insanely popular. If I had to choose I would choose Doom Slayer hands down just for those reasons, but if I'm being entirely honest I'm fine with either one of them. I adore both franchises.

But, hear me out, Fallout.
Not to mention that the series has yet to follow itself up to that calibur when Elder Scrolls: Online was a fairly universal dissapointment. Fallout has had more than one high-profile installments that make it a more fleshed out series, and obviously Doom has had plenty. I'm not here to say that SSBU is demanding a Shooter representative, but I can't think of many other FPS characters that would translate as well. Back in the day I would have said Bill Rizer but what even if the Contra series now? (They lost me with the robotically augmented Panda).

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Did Doomguy have demand before the leak though? Not trying to diminish the huge demand he has now, but as far as I've seen it was nonexistent before the leak and if so then the demand means nothing for his chances (well, at least for the Fighter Pass).
It was there, especially after the announcement that Doom 2016 was coming to the Switch. It really picked up after Joker though, then again after the interview with Pete Heinz, then again with the leak, then again with Google Theory, and now it's probably at its peak. Yeah, Doom Slayer had to go through all of that to even make it into this thread's general view. That's a lot to say when Katalina and Tracer can jump up in here near immediately.

What I'm trying to say is, the Doom slayer fan base is a real one, yo. We've really stuck to our guns with this character through all the ups and downs.

The Hayabusa fan base is... Very tight-knit. Like, I remember some out fellow supporters on here from Pre-Wii U days. That's why it's kinda disheartening to see people already tired of seeing these characters show up in discussions. We worked so hard to get into the general view and people are immediately sick of us for it because of the leakers that leaked the previous characters. ****ing sucks man, and I wish no one in this pass ever got leaked.

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Did Doomguy have demand before the leak though? Not trying to diminish the huge demand he has now, but as far as I've seen it was nonexistent before the leak and if so then the demand means nothing for his chances (well, at least for the Fighter Pass).
I actually saw quite a bit of Doomguy support popping up during Ultimate's initial hype cycle thanks to the reboot's Switch port. Sure it wasn't as big as it currently is, but support was there pre-5chan leak. And I don't know when planning started for the next round of DLC, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was fairly recent and Nintendo was able to take note of Doomguy's surge in popularity when coming up with their next list of newcomers. Still not entirely convinced that Doomguy is a lock (then again I'm not convinced that anyone's a lock until we have tangible evidence for their inclusion), but I have a feeling that Doom is at least being considered.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
if doomguy getting in smash will teach anyone anything, it's that sky's the limit on violent characters and that they can always be toned down. that is, if bayonetta, snake, and joker weren't enough to convince them.

which is also a one-way ticket for scorpion :secretkpop: but dont mind me fanboying

KatKit

Smash Lord
It was a different time back then and I was young, but me circa 2002-ish would've thought Neopets would've been dope for Smash, haters be darned.

The penguin was pretty cute, but good Lord its name was not cool (no pun intended). I named my plushie Chilly, but its in-universe name was Bruce. Who'd name THIS Bruce?!

Anyway, I wonder who kids want in Smash nowadays. Aside from Fornite guy and Mincecraft guy, I'm thinking they want a Five Nights at Freddy character or something, at least in the US. Hmmm... what about kids in other countries?

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I noticed a few people bringing up Doom Guy as a "oh wouldn't be it be cool if..." prior to the Fighter's Pass, but I think that Joker's announcement had quite a few people go "Oh ****, this could really happen" and begin to support him publically.

Sort of like how Banjo got a massive boost in popularity after Phil Spencer said Microsoft would work with Nintendo to bring him to Smash. Support tends to correlate with possibility.

D

Deleted member

I kinda feel that if Doomguy ends up happening, he most likely will be shown at E3 alongside a Japanese pick for a hypothetical 2nd fighter pass.
The Hayabusa fan base is... Very tight-knit. Like, I remember some out fellow supporters on here from Pre-Wii U days. That's why it's kinda disheartening to see people already tired of seeing these characters show up in discussions. We worked so hard to get into the general view and people are immediately sick of us for it because of the leakers that leaked the previous characters. ****ing sucks man, and I wish no one in this pass ever got leaked.
I don't think its about particular dislike, but rather conversations regarding them end up getting repetitive as most of the time it seemed that both characters only had the 5ch leak to back them up. And now that we lack a lot of info, we are pretty much at a worse situation because iamshifty and brew at best would have leaked Ryu H. and at worst they would just keep him both in the conversation.

Hero got kinda struck with this as well and the whole debacle regarding if brave was Hero which ended reaching new lows everytime.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
The wait for Terry is getting hard for me. I guess I'm not the only one.

About Doomslayer, yeah. I honestly think he could be fighter 5 but if that's not the case I think his best chance is something like E3, being revealed with a japanese fan favourite character.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Not to mention that the series has yet to follow itself up to that calibur when Elder Scrolls: Online was a fairly universal dissapointment.
Elder Scrolls Online is an MMO, and the reason it was considered a disappointment was because of the problematic pricing at launch (which they've drastically improved) along with alienating the fans of the single player games. The series is built around single player and throwing the gameplay style into an MMO changes things drastically. It's a good MMO but it doesn't appeal as much to the core Elder Scrolls audience. It didn't do badly for being a bad game, it didn't do well because the main audience likes the series for the single player experience.

Also Oblivion won game of the year (and has sold 9.8 million copies, more 20% more than the entire DOOM franchise), while Morrowind was no slouch either and would've won if it wasn't for Neverwinter Nights (and Morrowind, while kinda dated, is still a fantastic game). This series has a lot of fans, and you also have to remember that Oblivion and Morrowind came out when the internet was much younger. All I'm saying is that The Elder Scrolls shouldn't be underestimated, and while I respect DOOM I think the hype about it is way overblown. Doom Slayer has even become basically the poster child for this site's "lock" culture. Which is unfortunate but true.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
he says as DOOM releases its 6th game
I wasn't suggesting that Doom wasn't popular. But that Elder Scroll was, even pre-Skyrim. Because if it hadn't been at least somewhat popular, it never would have made it to Skyrim.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
I wasn't suggesting that Doom wasn't popular. But that Elder Scroll was, even pre-Skyrim. Because if it hadn't been at least somewhat popular, it never would have made it to Skyrim.
Exactly, it really took off once Morrowind came around and kept up that momentum with Oblivion. It only got even better from there when Skyrim exploded in popularity to unforeseen levels!

KatKit

Smash Lord
Even if Ryu doesn't get in, I just hope the attention gets more people to check out Ninja Gaiden and DoA lol. Although if he ever gets in, I think he'll be well received by the community for the most part. His moveset would be crazy, especially if he got to use more than one type of weapon.

Irrelevant Ryu tangent:
On my old anime forum, about 8 gay members all had Ryu avatars/signatures for a month or so. It started with 2 guys, and then people kept pointing out the coincidence, and then it just became a thing.

Anyway, when newcomers come out, I think it'd be cool if the site had Arenas dedicated to trying out the character. E.g. everybody makes Terry only Arenas on the day he drops.

Last edited:

Us3inMN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Us3inMN
Switch FC
SW-6591-4822-5026
7 if you include whatever the hell Final Doom was.
Lets not forget:
DOOM RPG
DOOM Resurrection
DOOM II RPG
DOOM Pinball
DOOM VFR
Ultimate DOOM
DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil
DOOM 3: BFG Edition

Counting those spin-offs, this makes DOOM Eternal #13 in the series.

(DOOM VFR is not fun and is too weird to fully enjoy)

NoBS

Smash Apprentice

More importantly if this DLC is indicative of anything getting a few of Sakurais personal favorite characters he loves such as Terry, Joker, Hero, Sakurai has openly spoken very highly of John Carmack, one of the only western developers he’s spoke of, the creator of DOOM, and referenced the importance and impact of his games on him and others.

KatKit

Smash Lord
Perfect Dark, Goldeneye, and a handful of others aside, I'm not really into first person shooting games. I know Doom's ridiculous storyline and I know some people say it's super good, but I just never bothered with it yet.

With that being said, The Conduit was pretty underrated, IMO. Its graphics were really good, given its console, and the online play was fun from what I remember. I know for sure it has no chance, but darn it if it wouldn't be my 'out there' FPS choice for Smash. I borrowed the game for like a week, but I had a lot of fun at the time.

Last edited:

Ayumi Tachibana

Smash Ace
Japanese casual gamers' reactions to Doomguy is hilarious. YouTube comments on this kind of videos are not from people like in 5chan so I think these are the actual genuine Japanese normies' impressions.
I want an another Japan/West double reveal.

Translating some of them.
"Not really sure how to say but I don't think this kind of character will never be in."
"This is from a western game or FPS right? I don't think so either."
"Yeah lol. From FPS lol."
"Looks like a character added Samus and Snake then divided by 2."
"If this one can make it in, then even a soldier from Earth Defence Force 5 has a chance. I don't think this will happen."
"Elementary kids might get interested in CERO Z games so no."
"Samus."
"Too Samus."
"I kinda heard of the name but don't know."
"Yeah, most western games are like that here."
"Is he from Pacific Rim?"
"Samus alternate."
"Wikipedia says it's a controversial game with extream violence and gore. I think it's difficult for him to get in."
"Seems Overwatch rep is more likely than this guy as characterization wise."
"HALO-ish character."
"I beat Switch version so personally I like his inclusion. Mii costume is good enough though."
"We already have Snake."
"I love FPS games but most of them are very violent so I think it's hard to get a representation. Even Rathalos' tail amputation mechanic was cut off in the game."
"I think HALO's Master Chief is much better choice than DOOM. It's not gory as DOOM and has actual stories."
"Samus."

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Japanese casual gamers' reactions to Doomguy is hilarious. YouTube comments on this kind of videos are not from people like in 5chan so I think these are the actual genuine Japanese normies' impressions.

"Not really sure how to say but I don't think this kind of character will never be in."
"Looks like a character adding Samus and Snake then divided by 2."
"If this one can make it in, then even a soldier from Earth Defence Force 5 has a chance. I don't think this will happen."
"Samus."
"Too Samus."
"Samus alternate."
"Wikipedia says it's a controversial game with extream violence and gore. I think it's difficult for him to get in."
"HALO-ish character."
"I beat Switch version so personally I like his inclusion. Mii costume is good enough though."
"We already have Snake."
"I love FPS games but most of them are very violent so I think it's hard to get a representation. Even Rathalos' tail amputation mechanic was cut off in the game."
"I think HALO's Master Chief is much better choice than DOOM. It's not gory as DOOM and has actual stories."
"Samus."
Oh my god how the **** have I never realized Doom Slayer kinda looks like Gypsy Danger from Pacific Rim that's one of my favourite movies. Shame there was never any sequels

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

"Samus."
"Too Samus."
"Samus alternate."
"HALO-ish character."
"We already have Snake."
"Samus."
man, does japan think all shooters are samus like how people over here think all jrpg characters with a sword are the same?

The potential of Fallout making it into Smash makes me wish for a Nuclear winter.
In case your wish come true...

That's why it's kinda disheartening to see people already tired of seeing these characters show up in discussions. We worked so hard to get into the general view and people are immediately sick of us for it because of the leakers that leaked the previous characters. ****ing sucks man, and I wish no one in this pass ever got leaked.
Pretty sure it's just the usual effects of an 'info drought'. Once we get more info and maybe a reveal (Hayabusa or else) in the next Direct/Let's Play Terry Bogard with Sakurai (hopefully early november) it'll get better i think. Like ryumo the Zekenator said, the same happened with all the talk surrounding 'Erdrick'/'Brave'/Hero a few months ago.

I'm confident it wouldn't affect the general hype surrouding a potential Hayabusa reveal tho. Sure, some of the people who are knee deep in Smash speculation would be a bit underwhelmed but it's far from a majority of people (and some of them would have been underwhelmed anyway even without ''leaks'').

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
decided to check this guys' other videos

looks like we got another literal who (for western audiences) on the radar

TheYungLink

Smash Lord

"Samus."
"Too Samus."
"Samus alternate."
"HALO-ish character."
"We already have Snake."
"Samus."
The fact that Japanese normies dismiss Doomguy / Doom Slayer as "Samus" or "Samus alternate" gives me life, knowing that we have an equivalent of western normies dismissing any anime swordfighter as "yet another Fire Emblem character".

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The fact that Japanese normies dismiss Doomguy / Doom Slayer as "Samus" or "Samus alternate" gives me life, knowing that we have an equivalent of western normies dismissing any anime swordfighter as "yet another Fire Emblem character".
1571470567642.png

Are you a Marth or a Samus?

D

Deleted member

decided to check this guys' other video

looks like we got another literal who (for western audiences) on the radar
Its kinda funny, the character is kinda like the main character of the Mystery Dungeon series which is a relatively popular series that other series make spinoffs from like Pokemon and DQ.

I said kinda since there are more spinoffs than games with this guy and the series first game is a DQ spinoff.
man, does japan think all shooters are samus like how people over here think all jrpg characters with a sword are the same?
I would say its more a design thing with Doomguy, especially the modern incarnation with full armor. Probably MC would get the same treatment but someone like Gordon Freeman might not.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

*whistles*

Anything...interesting to talk about lately?

It sure is getting quite boring. Where's the thrill of Smash hype already?

PS. Watched that Doomguy vid and I'm having mixed feelings about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
The fact that Japanese normies dismiss Doomguy / Doom Slayer as "Samus" or "Samus alternate" gives me life,
It certainly gives me life, too, it means that it lowers his chances of being the Bethesda rep. If that's how the casual audience reacts to him (and they of course care most about their home market) then Doom Slayer probably wouldn't be Nintendo's first choice during negotiations Oh, what do we have here? I hear a powerful booming voice in the distance! ;)

Last edited:

"Samus."
"Too Samus."
"Samus alternate."
"HALO-ish character."
"We already have Snake."
"Samus."
"We already have Snake."

Hmmmm.... i don't even know where to start...

c59.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom