• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

There's the whole, "Geralt is originally from a book thing", but, I'd welcome him on the roster.
Heh, just watch. WHen he's revealed the entire 4th Party Cancerbase is gonna have a field day.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Hayabusa sure is the main man with Shifty and Brew supposedly having a source saying it's him, but what if they might actually got info that only said the next character is from Koei-Tecmo but never said specifically that it was Hayabusa?

*plays Arena*
Zhao Yun Charges Through!

...but seriously, another Musou related announcement catching people off guard again would be great.
If it ain't Yukimura I don't want it.
Just look at that beautiful Son of a *****.

D

Deleted member

Look I dont dislike Geno but he just feels kinda boring to me in regards to the stuff he brings into Smash, which lets be honest its just pretty much just more Mario.

I have great memories of Super Mario RPG, its the first JRPG I actually finished about 22~23 years ago (and passed from the first screen lol) and I still believe its a great game. My last playthrough just a few months ago, I kinda just remembered that Geno was kinda boring storywise and that Bowser pretty much carried the game.

If I was 20 years younger, maybe I would be totally on board with the Geno train. But after playing a lot of SE RPG titles, including FF, DQ, BD, Mana, Valkyrie Profile, the Ogre series, KH, Nier, the absolute masterpiece that is Chrono Trigger, etc, its a title that I don't really care to see over many other possible choices.

The real thing I just dislike is the overall underplaying of SE franchises in the discussion sometimes as I firmly believe even without another FF rep or DQ rep, you could maybe make another pass of SE characters (a pack consisting of BD, Nier, Tomb Raider, KH, CT, Deus Ex would be a dream for me), 2 or 3 if you allow more FF and DQ.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
She has A LOT going for her, and probably more going on behind the scenes, if you take a closer look. Let's break it down:

-Square Enix (the publishers), PlatinumGames (the developers), and Namco Bandai (developers of Soul Calibur - a game which she starred in - that also had a hand in Smash 4 and Ultimate's development) all have playable reps in Smash and have a pretty healthy relationship with Nintendo.

-Nier had a cancelled 'definitive edition' style game that was originally going to be on the PS Vita (cancelled due to Dragon Quest out prioritizing it, coincidentally enough). Considering some of the recent Switch ports we've gotten lately, I can definitely imagine it coming out on the Switch one day. We'd then have an exclusive on our hands.

Good points so far, Kat, but you're still grasping at straws. Oh, really? The thick plotens:

-Aside from Nier Automata selling over 4 million copies (and 2B having several guest cameos outside of it), there is still large fan demand for a Switch port. Additionally, the game's director, lead designer, and producer have all stated that they'd love to make it happen, but that ultimately the decision is up to SquareEnix. Which leads me to my next point:

- Recently, a SquareEnix board member/Dragon Quest/Nier producer asked Sakurai out for dinner, and also asked him to meet with Yoko Taro (another Nier producer). Sakurai is a fan of Yoko Taro and vice versa; Sakurai's love for Nier/Drakengard is no secret. It could be respected colleagues just hanging out, but it could also be business related. If 2B was in Smash, she could also promote theoretical Switch ports, which seem more likely by the minute. It's win-wins all over the place. Fans get more Nier. Nintendo gets an exclusive and can introduce their fans to the franchise. Sakurai is happy. Yoko Taro is happy. Smash gets a unique gal with an insane arsenal and a phenominal soundtrack.
As someone pretty dedicated to the idea of Geno getting in once and for all, I will say 2B is a character I've come to think of as a very natural inclusion that deserves it as much as he does, just for entirely different reasons. She's kind of a new breakout star and Yako Taro is another big name Japanese developer that doesn't have a place in Smash Bros. yet. As Sakurai continues to build his "museum of Japanese gaming history," I feel like he has to turn to certain prolific individuals not in Smash too, and Yako Taro is basically one of the perfect examples of this (Besides Suda... TRAVIS FOR SMASH!). I'd be happy to see her, disappointed slightly that she wasn't Geno...

But I do think she'd cause Geno fans to kind of go ballistic or just give up, which would be sad to see as a fellow fan willing to accept and embrace other Square Enix rep (Except Bravely Default lol).

The main problem with 2B is the amount of competition she has from Square Enix. Not only does she have content with Geno and his mountain of fan requests, but she also has to deal Sora and Lara Croft, icons from two of Square Enix's largest franchises not yet in Smash.
Again, she's got the benefit of being a decidedly Japanese character from a prolific Japanese developer on her resume, which I would expect to count for a lot in the context of Smash. Sora isn't even really Square Enix besides maybe a couple of phone calls required and Lara Croft kind of suffers from lots of weird things like only being an acquisition, never really being super popular in Japan, and a really inconsistent sort of legacy despite her huge popularity in the West during the 90s.

I mean. It's clearly that Square just doesn't want to negotiate for Geno as a character
I'm not sure it's Square Enix. Outside of potentially Brawl, they seem to have had no issue giving Geno to Sakurai for smaller purposes and there's really no reason to deny Nintendo the character in exchange for money. I think it's much more likely that Sakurai and Nintendo can't commit to prioritizing him when series like Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest are on the table, and he's just been lower priority. Maybe with those out of the way, he's got a better shot, but I really don't think Square Enix is the one preventing him from being in Smash at this point TBH.

D

Deleted member

If it ain't Yukimura I don't want it.

Just look at that beautiful Son of a *****.
I've been more focused on Dynasty Warriors since it's the series that started it all, but **** if Sakurai manages to get both Zhao Yun and Yukimura in Smash, I'd absolutely lose it out of excitement.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
2B or any other Square-Enix character getting in would be the final nail in the coffin for Geno, I feel.

Because at that point, Sakurai would have worked with Square-Enix three different times for three different playable characters and not once used any of those opportunities to bring Geno in as a playable fighter. Whereas with, say, Microsoft, Banjo & Kazooie were very clearly first in line, over other candidates like Steve and Master Chief.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
I've been more focused on Dynasty Warriors since it's the series that started it all, but **** if Sakurai manages to get both Zhao Yun and Yukimura in Smash, I'd absolutely lose it out of excitement.
Samurai Warriors and Dynasty Warriors let's do it

Last edited:

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Honestly, I would be fine with Zhao Yun. A Chinese inspired character is a cool idea, he has a unique weapon type, and he'd be a Terry-esque surprise pick. He's nowhere near the top of my list but he'd still be a welcome addition.

a pack consisting of BD, Nier, Tomb Raider, KH, CT, Deus Ex would be a dream for me),
How about DEUS GEX? :cool:

Last edited:
(Except Bravely Default lol).
Ouch. Realistically, the series doesn't have a chance anyway, since it's effectively the spiritual successor to a final fantasy spin-off title and didn't sell enough to make that big of a splash, but they're good games. I had a wonderful time with both, especially Bravely Second.

A brave/default system where characters would get buffed for a time and then nerfed for an equal amount of time afterward would be really neat. All the characters have a lot of personality (except Tiz, really) and could bring any number of playstyles.

Still, you're right. It won't happen, and shouldn't. But, man, do I want it anyway.

D

Deleted member

2B or any other Square-Enix character getting in would be the final nail in the coffin for Geno, I feel.

Because at that point, Sakurai would have worked with Square-Enix three different times for three different playable characters and not once used any of those opportunities to bring Geno in as a playable fighter. Whereas with, say, Microsoft, Banjo & Kazooie were very clearly first in line, over other candidates like Steve and Master Chief.
Uh...I'm confused. When did it say that there was a limit to the number of characters from the same company? I mean, we got Mega Man, Ryu, and Ken from Capcom, so that means there is no limit. If they actually put Morrigan or Jill I'm gonna flip

With that being said, I'm divided over Geno. On one hand, many people, especially the newer fans (as in those who got into Smash due to Ultimate), will be quite confused, like me. On the other hand, it'll probably be the "due to insistent public demand" pick, much like Banjo.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Uh...I'm confused. When did it say that there was a limit to the number of characters from the same company? I mean, we got Mega Man, Ryu, and Ken from Capcom, so that means there is no limit. If they actually put Morrigan or Jill I'm gonna flip

With that being said, I'm divided over Geno. On one hand, many people, especially the newer fans (as in those who got into Smash due to Ultimate), will be quite confused, like me. On the other hand, it'll probably be the "due to insistent public demand" pick, much like Banjo.
The Fighters Pass thus far has basically been "one rep per company", that's kinda where the whole Banjo vs. Steve rivalry came from.

I guess it's possible what comes after the FP isn't a season pass, but, considering how much money it makes, I kinda doubt it.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
Look I dont dislike Geno but he just feels kinda boring to me in regards to the stuff he brings into Smash, which lets be honest its just pretty much just more Mario.
While this is all just your opinion, I doubt that a gun slinging puppet man would bring less to smash than another JRPG Anime Swordsmen

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I haven't even been gone a week and what the hell is going on

What have you clowns done

Has there been a gas leak?

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
Double posting warning issued
Ninten was never really that requested.

Ashley is dead due to being an assist trophy.
Put the man in the gaaaame. Entirely-dance-focused moveset

It sucks that Sabi was so high profile during E3. Now she can't tell us anything

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I almost put on my Sharingan when I thought it was real, but it's just a wishlist. See, that's what I don't like about fake leaks.

It sucks that Sabi was so high profile during E3. Now she can't tell us anything
I feel like I just wanna talk to this girl.

Can't they just say "Why I want this character in Smash" rather than "This character is going into the game just watch"? They seriously want to test the intelligence level of the community.

krokotopia101

Smash Apprentice

Waluigi utilizing his movesets based off of the sports games & Mario Party isn't a bad idea if you think about it.................a pity that it's literally the exact reason he'll never get in.

D

Deleted member

Aside from the Fire Emblem characters, what "JRPG Anime Swordsmen" play anything alike?
Y'all just salty that we have too many Fire Emblem reps that when we get a new, completely-different-playstyle swordie, y'all decry her/him as just another anime swordie. Smash 4 gave us Cloud, and there were some people who called him out as another anime swordsman. Now he's one of the banes of old Smash 4 doubles. Ultimate gave us Hero, which was by far the biggest "another Anime swordsman" whining I've ever seen, only for them to get gut-punched with his RNG playstyle.

See, this is why I want more swordies. Just watching the salt from their faces only to get bit back by an absurd playstyle literally they can't comprehend.

krokotopia101

Smash Apprentice
So I'm looking at the images & movesets for Geno....so far the concepts seem.........Megaman-ish with a hint of Samus. Overall, I, myself, don't really see the appeal, but that's just me.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I almost put on my Sharingan when I thought it was real, but it's just a wishlist. See, that's what I don't like about fake leaks.

I feel like I just wanna talk to this girl.

Can't they just say "Why I want this character in Smash" rather than "This character is going into the game just watch"? They seriously want to test the intelligence level of the community.
As someone who chooses their words carefully to dance around their supposed C&D, Sabi at least knows the difference between expressing a desire and calling something likely.

I just don't know how that list happened. Did someone hit her in the head?

KatKit

Smash Lord
A fact I didn't know damn
Witcher could probably get away with it though. Andrzej Sapkowski considers the video game version of the series "its own thing"; he didn't make it, it's a different work of art in his opinion. Moreover, it's a series with in-universe magic and multiverse travelling capabilities. They can pretend that the books are just another visit of Ciri/Geralt, but one that took place in our world.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
As someone who chooses their words carefully to dance around their supposed C&D, Sabi at least knows the difference between expressing a desire and calling something likely.

She's been acting weird ever since the SNK leak imo; maybe even before.

D

Deleted member

While this is all just your opinion, I doubt that a gun slinging puppet man would bring less to smash than another JRPG Anime Swordsmen
You didn't read my comment did you? I mentioned that the content that Geno would bring with him would feel derivative due to being another Mario character. I never mentioned anything moveset wise.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
You didn't read my comment did you? I mentioned that the content that Geno would bring with him would feel derivative due to being another Mario character. I never mentioned anything moveset wise.
its your opinion idc that much

i think that if Geno was added, itd be a Piranha Plant scenario

D

Deleted member

I just wanna ask you guys when is this Sabi open for DMs since I just wanna talk to her about this. Probably gain another online friend if you ask me. Considering that she's acting kinda weird lately. And probably ask her if there's a female in the roster nah jk.

But in all seriousness, I'm not asking for information, I just wanna talk casually.

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman

It's either a troll/edited message or Sabi is just trying to stir more discussion

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
I just wanna ask you guys when is this Sabi open for DMs since I just wanna talk to her about this. Probably gain another online friend if you ask me. Considering that she's acting kinda weird lately. And probably ask her if there's a female in the roster nah jk.

But in all seriousness, I'm not asking for information, I just wanna talk casually.
my narc radar is going off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom