• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

KatKit

Smash Lord
One of Carmen's victory animations should be a reenactment of the infamous "Arirrederci" handwave, but she says, "Until next crime" instead. Aside from looking cool, it'd be two different references at once!

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Not when each JRPG in the pass plays differently and has a different audience and style.
Persona 5 and Dragon Quest are VERY much both turn based RPGs. You could throw in the school life thing as a counter but in the grand scheme they're both rather linear, turnbased, JRPGs, about a mostly silent hero. They're not all that different and as much as I love both Dragon Quest XI and Persona 5 seeing them both back to back did make me kind of tilt my head.

Even their Smash gameplay is sort of similar, or at least their main gimmick, a down special that is dependent on a bar. I love both characters, I'm just saying I REALLY don't want yet another JRPG character as the last one. Of course, I would definitely choose Haybusa as my choice but I'm fine with MOST choices that aren't JRPG. Phoenix Wright, Jill/Leon, Hayabusa, Doom Slayer, etc. I think they could all do great and Lloyd could come later.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
I did say dumb ideas. The only non-video game stuff I'd really love would be Marvel Mii costumes, but I know it'll never happen.
Well you said dumb ideas and me being a dumb person, that word becomes invisible to me.

NoBS

Smash Apprentice
Myself I would put money on Ryu Hayabusa, we have the leaker Iamshifty who was correct about things like piranha plant saying his sources said Ryu was coming, they thought he was next but didn’t know anything about Terry. I don’t recall seeing iamshifty be wrong in anything or make a bunch of stuff up, so I feel he has some real info,

We then have the corraborative recent word papagenos who said a leaker who proved he had leaked stuff in the past also said Ryu was next,

Then we have Ryu as a character who checks off every box, mascot of Koei, iconic NES character, easily visualized moveset, iconic music. Rumors of a possible new ninja gaiden game after niohs success.

Then we have koei, the last big Japanese gaming company who is unrepped, collaborating a lot with Nintendo recently, including making the new fire emblem three houses game, and already working with Nintendo for smash with the inclusion of yuri kozukata.

It’s who I’d put my money on, I highly doubt monster hunter is coming at all, they already have music on random stages etc. I believe they did that for a reason. Unless monster hunter character comes later on with no stage.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
This is probably a pretty unpopular opinion: I've never really found the Tales of Series all that good. Like there are a few I've enjoyed, Symphonia and Vesperia are ok and Arise looks good, but I haven't been very impressed with the rest I've played especially the Xillia games.

Anyways, that's not really the point. What I really want to say is... I really hope a Tales of Character ISN'T the last character of the pass because that would mean that 3 of the 5 characters hail from JRPGs which... just seems like repetitive? Is that just me?
I mean, 5/7 characters in Smash 4's DLC period were from RPGs, so we've still got a ways to go. Also, if it's any consolation, each JRPG character in is one less to worry about in the future. With the trinity of Persona, Dragon Quest, and a hypothetical Tales rep, you've covered a ton of very important JRPG ground. The only ones missing at that point are Kingdom Hearts (which is huge and is probably the most likely one to get in at this point beyond Tales), Shin Megami Tensei (which kind of gets in on the technicality of Joker...), Phantasy Star (could be a surprise around the corner, but Phantasy Star has kind of been more of an online thing in recent years), and Ys (Which again, could very well be another surprise type rep, but is kind of a few degrees removed from the rest... though it is a popular JRPG franchise). The only other ones to worry about would be Geno (Super Mario RPG) and like Xenoblade/Fire Emblem from first party stuff. We've covered a lot of the major ground already, so more options will be more likely to appear in the future.

Plus, I can't personally see them as repetitive when Dragon Quest, Tales, and Persona are wildly different JRPGs in the first place haha.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Persona 5 and Dragon Quest are VERY much both turn based RPGs. You could throw in the school life thing as a counter but in the grand scheme they're both rather linear, turnbased, JRPGs, about a mostly silent hero. They're not all that different and as much as I love both Dragon Quest XI and Persona 5 seeing them both back to back did make me kind of tilt my head.
What? They're totally different! One's generic and the other isn't.

NoBS

Smash Apprentice
Ignore him Lesley. He's not worth your time. You're better then him.
Let me guess what side of the political realm you fall in. That’s not a biased answer at all. I’d appreciate it if you could keep it yourself cause I’m pretty sure most people are tired of this topic from both sides at this point. I know I’m tired of responding to underhanded comments, I think my points have been made without much intellectual rebuttal.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
I’m not baiting anyone, he/she keeps talking and bringing up the same stuff I disagree with, I’m a long time lurker and I’ve seen this person leaving comments for a long time where I thought to myself “why is no one saying anything about their irrationality”.
Because most people here are like that too.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
More diversity between the franchises the DLC newcomers is a valid request as though the JRPGs are radically different, not being a JRPG fan would end up with you feeling somewhat alienated. It's just like how only getting newcomers from platformers would be boring or fighting games.

NoBS

Smash Apprentice
Because most people here are like that too.
Nah a lot of people don’t want to get berated by the few of you who think a certain way and gang up on people who think differently so they just try to avoid it, but that’s why sometimes I have to respond. I got some decent likes on my posts back there.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
Nah a lot of people don’t want to get berated by the few of you who think a certain way and gang up on people who think differently so they just try to avoid it, but that’s why sometimes I have to respond. I got some decent likes on my posts back there.
You got me mixed up with the people you're arguing against.

D

Deleted member

Even their Smash gameplay is sort of similar, or at least their main gimmick, a down special that is dependent on a bar. I love both characters, I'm just saying I REALLY don't want yet another JRPG character as the last one. Of course, I would definitely choose Haybusa as my choice but I'm fine with MOST choices that aren't JRPG. Phoenix Wright, Jill/Leon, Hayabusa, Doom Slayer, etc. I think they could all do great and Lloyd could come later.
Persona adds VN elements to the gameplay and that is about 50% of the game. Agree in that more JRPGs picks in the pass would seem a but overkill but in the case of Tales, its more action based than either which would make them quite different.
Let me guess what side of the political realm you fall in. That’s not a biased answer at all. I’d appreciate it if you could keep it yourself cause I’m pretty sure most people are tired of this topic from both sides at this point. I know I’m tired of responding to underhanded comments, I think my points have been made without much intellectual rebuttal.
Seriously? Mate just drop it, according to your profile it says you are a ****ing adult. Just act your age and ignore them if you don't like whatever they are talking about.

D

Deleted member

More diversity between the franchises the DLC newcomers is a valid request as though the JRPGs are radically different, not being a JRPG fan would end up with you feeling somewhat alienated. It's just like how only getting newcomers from platformers would be boring or fighting games.
That, and it helps a lot with getting in fans into new series.

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
I love Jrpgs to death, but 3 rpg characters in the same fighters Pass is just a big nono from me...
I know "too much anime swordsman" isn't a good argument at all, but there should be variety.
At least joker and Hero are vastly different, but I have a hard time figuring out how Lloyd would be much different from Hero apart from having 2 swords and fewer magic moves (no offence to Lloyd supporters, I wouldn't mind him appearing in the game, just that I feel there are other priorities)
If they were to really choose another RPG character to round out the FP, I'd like KOS-MOS because she's very much different from your average rpg "protagonist"

D

Deleted member

I love Jrpgs to death, but 3 rpg characters in the same fighters Pass is just a big nono from me...
I know "too much anime swordsman" isn't a good argument at all, but there should be variety.
At least joker and Hero are vastly different, but I have a hard time figuring out how Lloyd would be much different from Hero apart from having 2 swords and fewer magic moves (no offence to Lloyd supporters, I wouldn't mind him appearing in the game, just that I feel there are other priorities)
If they were to really choose another RPG character to round out the FP, I'd like KOS-MOS because she's very much different from your average rpg "protagonist"
I'm just sticking with her for the great looking appearance since we're lacking a somewhat "technology" themed character in the pass.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Anyway, if the mods are reading this, I fully take responsibility for the female character discussion going AWOL. I was the one who started it, and I'll try to make sure that it gets resolved well.
It was resolved until you brought it up again.

I do not want this discussion to die, but I don't want it to get to the point that everyone's throwing tables. It's my responsibility for starting this, and I have the right to control its flow.
Actually, no, it's the admins' right to control the flow, and they already said to stop the discussion.

NoBS

Smash Apprentice
Seriously? Mate just drop it, according to your profile it says you are a ****ing adult. Just act your age and ignore them if you don't like whatever they are talking about.
Lol why do you say that to me and not to them, you honestly think the proper thing to do is to get mad at me for not ignoring them as they keep going back to the topic now saying they’re better than me? How about we move on as a collective here.

Why don’t you ignore me if it’s got your panties in a bunch. Take your own advice. I just made a post purely about newcomer speculation and it goes ignored because people want to argue politics and don’t like that I am against the grain here.

D

Deleted member

It was resolved until you brought it up again.

Actually, no, it's the admins' right to control the flow, and they already said to stop the discussion.
Okay, I will stop. I alresdy said it.
Btw before I conk out for the night I saw the idea of victory themes. Sol has 2 potential ones from Xrd, this one https://youtu.be/z9kSijzshNs

And perhaps exclusive to Sol winning with a final smash, this one https://youtu.be/Wisy_0svO5Y
Girl, back when I was getting into GG that was what I immediately looked up. That idea looks rad as hell.

Also someone put Dizzy in Smash so we can have that hilarious reaction with her Finisher.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I don't think anyone's saying it's not a valid request. Just that JRPGs are pretty popular, and could definitely be Fighter #5.

D

Deleted member

Lol why do you say that to me and not to them, you honestly think the proper thing to do is to get mad at me for not ignoring them as they keep going back to the topic now saying they’re better than me? How about we move on as a collective here.

Why don’t you ignore me if it’s got your panties in a bunch. Take your own advice. I just made a post purely about newcomer speculation and it goes ignored because people want to argue politics and don’t like that I am against the grain here.
Because you keep targeting an user simply because you don't like her opinion and continue behaving like an ass. Literally no one brought any politics except you.

People ignore you simply because your post doesn't add any new **** or because half the thread most likely blocked you already because you keep trying to incite conflict.

Dont worry I'll ignore you as well. First time to block anyone on ths site.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Okay, I will stop. I alresdy said it.

Girl, back when I was getting into GG that was what I immediately looked up. That idea looks rad as hell.

Also someone put Dizzy in Smash so we can have that hilarious reaction with her Finisher.
There's a reason fans got Dizzy back by screaming loud enough. All in all, Smash needs more goddamn metal, especially the kind sung by Daisuke
i-no.gif

D

Deleted member

Because you keep targeting an user simply because you don't like her opinion and continue behaving like an ***. Literally no one brought any politics except you.

People ignore you simply because your post doesn't add any new **** or because half the thread most likely blocked you already because you keep trying to incite conflict.

Ummm...were you talking about me?

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I just want spooktober to end to see what SNK music gets into Smash and to see who character 5 is.

NoBS

Smash Apprentice
Because you keep targeting an user simply because you don't like her opinion and continue behaving like an ***. Literally no one brought any politics except you.

Bro haha, I have no words. Block me. Certain political types can’t handle dissent. I would prefer to talk smash legitimately but if you can’t keep it their cause you seethe with rage that I disagree with your philosophy whole heartedly. Then that’s your issue.

D

Deleted member

This is probably a pretty unpopular opinion: I've never really found the Tales of Series all that good. Like there are a few I've enjoyed, Symphonia and Vesperia are ok and Arise looks good, but I haven't been very impressed with the rest I've played especially the Xillia games.

Anyways, that's not really the point. What I really want to say is... I really hope a Tales of Character ISN'T the last character of the pass because that would mean that 3 of the 5 characters hail from JRPGs which... just seems like repetitive? Is that just me?
I've never played any of the Tales game before, but I look at Lloyd and Yuri and think they'd be boring in Smash. It isn't because of the "too much JRPG in Smash" stuff but because they don't appeal to me just by looking at them. Velvet, on the other hand, is a different case. I'd be more accepting of her in Smash since she stands out a lot more compared to the other 2 and has the latest appearance in the series before Arise.
Then we have Ryu as a character who checks off every box, mascot of Koei, iconic NES character, easily visualized moveset, iconic music. Rumors of a possible new ninja gaiden game after niohs success.
mascot of Koei,
Ninja Gaiden may be 1 of KT's biggest IPs, but to say he's the mascot of Koei (the company synonymous for games set in a historical time period like Nobunaga's Ambition) isn't right. It may have not been your intent, but it just irks me a little. He may be an icon, but he's not their mascot.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
I mean, I would agree with that, but. . . well, while I may not want a Tales of character either, my biggest hope for #5 is from an RPG as well.

But eh, at least Xenoblade Chronicles X is distinct from Persona and Dragon Quest in that it's not turn-based and also very open-world. So at least there's that defense.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I mean, I would agree with that, but. . . well, while I may not want a Tales of character, either, my biggest hope for #5 is from an RPG as well.

But eh, at least Xenoblade Chronicles X is distinct from Persona and Dragon Quest in that it's not turn-based and also very open-world. So at least there's that defense.
If we're going by the peppered DLC pass of various genres, I'm thinking visual novel.

Either Phoenix Wright or Saber are my best bets for that.

NoBS

Smash Apprentice
I've never played any of the Tales game before, but I look at Lloyd and Yuri and think they'd be boring in Smash. It isn't because of the "too much JRPG in Smash" stuff but because they don't appeal to me just by looking at them. Velvet, on the other hand, is a different case. I'd be more accepting of her in Smash since she stands out a lot more compared to the other 2 and has the latest appearance in the series before Arise.

Ninja Gaiden may be 1 of KT's biggest IPs, but to say he's the mascot of Koei (the company synonymous for games set in a historical time period like Nobunaga's Ambition) isn't right. It may have not been your intent, but it just irks me a little. He may be an icon, but he's not their mascot.

How can you say he’s not their most i comic character? isn’t he essentially their longest running IP as well as the character they use for all their crossovers, warriors of orochi, DOA, etc? If you don’t like the word mascot then whatever .

He’s the one that would make it in smash.

KatKit

Smash Lord
Games classified as JRPGs can range anywhere from Nier Automata: a hack n slash/shoot 'em up, to a survival horror game like Parasite Eve, to a dungeon crawling/social sim/visual novel like Persona 4, to an open world exploration game with MMO mechanics and transforming flying robots like Xenoblade X. They can be so radically different from each other at times, I wouldn't even complain if we got another one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom