• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I’m not putting words into anyone’s mouth, if you solely are going to buy the pass because of ANY female character then what else are you doing other than asking for fake female genitalia as a requisite for your character? I’m not going to go back through the thread of every single time I’ve seen some bull**** like that, I gave you one obvious case that you yourself talked to and that’s good enough to make my point.

Yes I do disagree with that DK person, cause if you’re avoiding the game if you don’t get more DK stuff then what does that mean that you are happier with representation than playing the VIDEO GAME, if that’s the case I say probably you shouldn’t but the game, play something you enjoy.

But at least with that case it doesn’t have real life political connotations and ideologies that affect real people. Just as those that are posting twitter posts insinuating we are sexist for not wanting people to pick characters based on sex, so too does these people’s ideologies spill into their real life views of the world and people. It’s wrong here and it’s wrong there.
You're doing it again lmao. Only one person on this entire thread said it and you're saying everyone who disagrees with you is saying it while saying "YOU ONLY WANT CHARACTERS FOR THEIR VAGINAS!" AGAIN.

If "Hey I like this character she should be in Smash" is political then it's been political ever since Sakurai turned Dragon King into Smash. Besides, we have ANTIFA icons Snake and Cloud so Smash is already political then

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
On an unrelated note, what gaming genre's are left that don't have any unique characters so far?
I suppose there is first person shooters, visual novels, rythm games, survival horror and puzzle games, anything else?
Anything from the adventure genre, one of the oldest genres in the entire gaming industry. Things like Interactive fiction, Point-and-click adventure, puzzle adventure, walking simulators, and the entire visual novel genre is a sub genre of adventure games.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, the two candidates to best represent this genre are Professor Layton or Phoenix Wright, who Nintendo themselves acknowledged in their last investors Q&A when asked about the possibility of making more adventure games.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I’m not putting words into anyone’s mouth, if you solely are going to buy the pass because of ANY female character then what else are you doing other than asking for fake female genitalia as a requisite for your character? I’m not going to go back through the thread of every single time I’ve seen some bull**** like that, I gave you one obvious case that you yourself talked to and that’s good enough to make my point.

Yes I do disagree with that DK person, cause if you’re avoiding the game if you don’t get more DK stuff then what does that mean that you are happier with representation than playing the VIDEO GAME, if that’s the case I say probably you shouldn’t but the game, play something you enjoy.

But at least with that case it doesn’t have real life political connotations and ideologies that affect real people. Just as those that are posting twitter posts insinuating we are sexist for not wanting people to pick characters based on sex, so too does these people’s ideologies spill into their real life views of the world and people. It’s wrong here and it’s wrong there.
It's funny how your argument is assuming that genitalia have anything to do with anything :/ the good thing is that by your logic me saying that you have a thing for bear genitalia is not putting words on your mouth .

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Man, can we just go back to talking about Bandai Namco reps or some ****? This is getting way too spicy for my taste.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Three Houses in a way is kinda Edelgard’s story, like hell the main song is about her and she plays an important role in the story regardless of which route you choose and regardless of any of your actions.

Considering this is exactly the same situation Robin was in and he got in before Awakening’s actual central protagonist I believe you can make the same case for Edelgard, and since Sakurai has shown interesting in having an axe user in Smash I think he may go with her rather than Byleth.

Also Edelgard is a cutie-pitutie and did absolutely nothing wrong. #leaveedelgardalone

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Anyway my question still hasn't been answered so I'm pretty sure this is just another chud keeping the thread going in circles because as soon as a different discussion threatens to happen we alwwys get "WOMEN BAD" so let's talk about potential mii costumes or something

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
We need more villain/platformer/DK/Metroid reps! No one bats an eye
We need more women and minorities! 4chan Unleashed

NoBS

Smash Apprentice
Because Terry and Hero did?
Hero was the number one viewed character and video in Japan the day of his reveal he quadrupled the views of any other character reveal in smash, he was the absolute biggest character that could have been added for Japan even before Ultimate.

Terry is big in Latin America but yes he’s not as big as hero was for Japan or anything, but the second point for Terry was that KOF inspired sakurai to make smash so he was an inspirational icon, thirdly he was the mascot of SNK as whole.

If they do the same for Koei we’re getting Ryu,

If they do the same for Bethesda it’s probably doom guy,

If they do the same for Ubisoft it’s probably rayman,

And so forth and so forth. They are all male.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
We're going to drop this conversation now.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
We need more villain/platformer/DK/Metroid reps! No one bats an eye
We need more women and minorities! 4chan Unleashed
Oh boy that's my favourite Sonic game!
Also Edelgard is a cutie-pitutie and did absolutely nothing wrong. #leaveedelgardalone
I love this because I'm all "I adore Edelgard due to her deep character and surprising realism, if you wish to change society for the better, you HAVE to take action and the grey morality is great for the game's themes and longevity as it has people talk about it long after to debate those matters" yet whenever Bold says Edelgard is Satan I go "Ok first of all, she did NOTHING wrong"

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
if 3/4 of the routes are dedicated to killing you, i think you're doing at least something wrong.

i like how claude put it. she's got justifiable motifs, but the methods of which she's doing them aren't really acceptable.

i'd also prefer byleth myself, it makes the 3 lords and their goals equal to each other, so it all kinda balances out. byleth can be bootleg ivy valentine :secretkpop:

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
We're going to drop this conversation now.
Added some BOLD TEXT(tm) to help get the point across.

Seriously everyone. This conversation topic has been exhausted and at this point is becoming repetitive and increasingly toxic. I understand it's a sensitive topic and people have strong opinions about it, but for ****s sake can't we civil about it?

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
Hey, question, but what would be a good character to do the swapping thing that Zelda, Samus, and Red / Green (Blue / Leaf) could do?

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Actually it is because speaking truth keeps society in track, thanks for your input though.
Glad we have such a high-minded citizen here to complain about what other people want in a video game then. Seriously, come off it.

I haven’t seen anyone on this forum who wants more representation be disrespectful about it, or try to shame anyone who doesn’t. If they did, then they’re wrong.

People have all sorts of arbitrary requisites for characters they’d like in the game because they think something is missing. I don’t think wanting more female characters is in any way ‘worse’ than wanting more villains or animals or whatever.

I don’t want to include more female characters in the game just for the sake of having them, but there are some characters I think would be great additions on their own merits. You can have more without scraping the barrel, you know?

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I mean I think the whole point of Edelgard is "How far would you go to make things right?" She's basically the idea of "Whatever it takes". Her end goal is the most admirable in the game but seeing her y'know, kill anyone and everyone, does make you feel dirty. Which is why Three Houses is so good.

KatKit

Smash Lord
Isn't Fulgore like the mascot of Killer Instinct? I know jack **** about it, but he's the one I see constantly on promotional material and discussion
Jago is the Ryu equivalent of his series; the Fulgore models are a nemesis, so let's consider them the Akuma equivalent (or perhaps Nightmare is a more appropriate comparison, since they're used in promotion a lot). Black Orchid is a weird mixture of Ken (deuteragonist/initial clone of Jago) and Chun-li, but she can arguably be considered a Ryu equivalent as well. All 3 are legit though.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
This might not be the most astute revelation, but I noticed that all the healing abilities and buff abilities come with a drawback. WFT has a timing thing, Hero's uses MP and RNG, Incineroar's is tied to a counter, and Shulk's arts all have advantages and disadvantages. Even in Sm4sh, Palutena's super speed thing had a lag period at the end.

So my question is: are there any characters you want in that you think would have a buff or healing move and how would you balance it?

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Do any of you think the future DLC choices are finalized or are they still in negotiation? When we received the info about the fighters pass we got concrete info on the number of fighters that we'll get. When Nintendo announced more DLC we didn't get the same information which makes me think that Nintendo is still in the planning stage. What do the rest of you think?

D

Deleted member

Seems like there’s talk about female characters in Smash.

I personally have some characters who I would love to see who happen to be females. The biggest one being probably Pauline, with Adeleine being close.
Pauline is my favourite Mario character, mostly due to a lot of nostalgia value for the Mario vs DK series. I want to believe that she is closer to becoming the new Rosalina, due to how she is starting to get enough representation in most Mario games and spin off currently released since Odyssey.

I could imagine Pauline’s moveset being a mix of the Minis from MvsDK, dance moves and stuff that references the DK arcade game.
Examples of moves I could picture include Mini DK as an Up B who serves as a bouncer, the collectable items from the DK arcade being used in charged smash attacks and dance moves being applied for some jabs and regular A attacks.

Her final smash could be a reference to the final level of the DK arcade, with Donkey Kong falling over the opponent from a construction formation taken down by Pauline and producing an insta ko with a specific amount of damage percentage.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I mean I think the whole point of Edelgard is "How far would you go to make things right?" She's basically the idea of "Whatever it takes". Her end goal is the most admirable in the game but seeing her y'know, kill anyone and everyone, does make you feel dirty. Which is why Three Houses is so good.
Even Dimitri said he would like to coexist with her after he calmed down from his murder rage baby fit, and said "Edelgard wouldn't allow it to exist". Admirable, but goddamn no wonder everyone is after your head in 75% of the game. She's gonna be am antagonist at this rate :nifty:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I find that Claude especially compliments her as they have the same ideals but cannot join sides due to their own takes on moralty

Anyway for a Namco character I'd pick uhhhh Nightmare and Velvet Crowe. Big ass sword dude and big ass demonic arm girl. Amazing, give me that good ****

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Agumon
Chosen Undead
Heihachi
KOS-MOS
Nightmare
Tales rep (Lloyd, Velvet, Yuri, etc.)

The most likely choices for an Namco rep.
Don’t forget Valkyrie (though she might be a bit too obscure) and Prince of All Cosmos

oh uh would a God Eater character count too? Did that franchise start as a game or?

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
I mean i basically mean either shadow or tails, but... Sure
In terms of representation that's slightly more important to Smash(?), another Sonic character like Tails or Eggman would be pretty boss! It's a bit odd that Sreet Fighter and Castlevania got to second rep territory first, though they may have had more Japan/Sakurai appeal or whatever that prompted it alongside echos being a thing, whilst Sonic may struggle in even having an appropriate character to be one of those assuming Shadow couldn't fill the role.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
Do any of you think the future DLC choices are finalized or are they still in negotiation? When we received the info about the fighters pass we got concrete info on the number of fighters that we'll get. When Nintendo announced more DLC we didn't get the same information which makes me think that Nintendo is still in the planning stage. What do the rest of you think?
Tough to say, but I'd like to think they're doing these 5 at a time. And at this point, they probably have begun planning on characters, though they likely want to focus on FP5.

NoBS

Smash Apprentice
The best polling we have which was a compilation of polls from across the internet during the time of the Wii U ballot only had 2 female characters in the top 15 in the US and EU, and one female character in the top 10 in Japan which was inkling who made it in.

I’m sorry they just aren’t as wanted.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
God Eater is basically a cult classic like EarthBound, right?
I only know God Eater thru Project X Zone, the one game on PSP, and the new one on Switch

Demoed the switch one. Sadly couldn’t get into that one, the gameplay didn’t really click with me

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
oh uh would a God Eater character count too? Did that franchise start as a game or?
Yeah.
Viable picks are Alisa, Ciel, Lindow, Soma and Claire.
Can't see anyone outside of that group get in unless they really want to go for generic avatars with no personality.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I only know God Eater thru Project X Zone, the one game on PSP, and the new one on Switch

Demoed the switch one. Sadly couldn’t get into that one, the gameplay didn’t really click with me
Oh no, I was thinking about God Hand.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
The fighters pass was revealed just before Sakurai stated on Twitter that the lineup was complete so I'm going to reply to this question with a "Yes they are finalised".

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Agumon
Chosen Undead
Heihachi
KOS-MOS
Nightmare
Tales rep (Lloyd, Velvet, Yuri, etc.)

The most likely choices for an Namco rep.
Taizo Horii would be cool
Added some BOLD TEXT(tm) to help get the point across.

Seriously everyone. This conversation topic has been exhausted and at this point is becoming repetitive and increasingly toxic. I understand it's a sensitive topic and people have strong opinions about it, but for ****s sake can't we civil about it?
But if I don't sound angry and conveniently skip conversations, how I'm supposed to get my point across and drag the conversation?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
This might not be the most astute revelation, but I noticed that all the healing abilities and buff abilities come with a drawback. WFT has a timing thing, Hero's uses MP and RNG, Incineroar's is tied to a counter, and Shulk's arts all have advantages and disadvantages. Even in Sm4sh, Palutena's super speed thing had a lag period at the end.

So my question is: are there any characters you want in that you think would have a buff or healing move and how would you balance it?
I mean
OpenEarlyFlycatcher-size_restricted.gif

tenor-1.gif

Are there any more iconic examples?

For Sol, have it balanced like in Guilty Gear, he can only do it once (per stock or per game, idk) and he suffers some rather significant endlag when he's done. For Dante, have Dante have to build up a DT gauge by attacking enemies enough to earn the right to use it

Calamitas

Smash Champion
The best polling we have which was a compilation of polls from across the internet during the time of the Wii U ballot only had 2 female characters in the top 15 in the US and EU, and one female character in the top 10 in Japan which was inkling who made it in.

I’m sorry they just aren’t as wanted.
:ultbayonetta:

Your username is not very accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom