• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
@Velveeta Dream I have a question for you. If hypothetically the Atelier series was going to get a playable character, which character would they use?

I've been researching the series and I'm surprised it has a long history of over 20 years with tons of games, side titles, remakes/ports, and hell even a manga and anime adaptation. Apparently Ryza, the newest installment, is getting released this month in the West on the PS4/Switch/PC. Would they use the newest protagonist Ryza or would they use an earlier protagonist?

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Any other potential of continuation reveals? Only other one I can think of is an RE rep reveal being an continuation to:ultsimon:/:ultrichter:
Why limit ourselves to this game? They could still easily follow up on Shulk's reveal trailer from last game, with him fighting against Metal Face and losing because his Monado isn't the Monado II yet. Then in drops an unexpected bit of support in the form of a mech attacking Metal Face, who then fight for a bit, during which the mech gets destroyed. The pilot escapes, lands next to Shulk, and helps him get up, cue fighter reveal of Elma.

KatKit

Smash Lord
Maybe not a FULL continuation, but any villain type character could reuse the intro of K. Rool/Banjo-Kazooie’s trailers.
Seeing as how she travels everywhere and steals stuff, I'd like Carmen's trailer to revisit all of the reveal trailer locations.

I just want them to make a Capcom Versus game without another company for once. Then they can use that to crossover with other companies later.
I mean, technically a Capcom vs Capcom crossover game already exists (Jam/Evolution), but I'd also love to see a modern one that contains characters from other genre.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Speaking of Capcom Amaterasu and Pheonix Wright deserved to be the Capcom reps instead of Ryu and Ken. The former 2 have done more for Nintendo than Street Fighter.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I said it before but I would love Amaterasu.

Female rep on top of being an quadrupedal fighter like:ultduckhunt:and:ultivysaur:not to mention how unique she would play. Plus I'm a fan of mythologies especially Japanese.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Repeating the King K. Rool trailer wouldn't be a good idea. Everyone thought it was funny the first time but the second time everyone was just like "yeah yeah yeah show the character already". I wouldn't say no to continuing from where it left off though.

Perhaps it starts out with King K. Rool busting out of the earth and attacking Banjo, Kazooie, and the Kongs because he's pissed that they put him there.

Why limit ourselves to this game? They could still easily follow up on Shulk's reveal trailer from last game, with him fighting against Metal Face and losing because his Monado isn't the Monado II yet. Then in drops an unexpected bit of support in the form of a mech attacking Metal Face, who then fight for a bit, during which the mech gets destroyed. The pilot escapes, lands next to Shulk, and helps him get up, cue fighter reveal of Elma.
The logic doesn't quite work unless she shoots them with lasers from the Skell cockpit. This isn't too bad though since Elma's Skell never had a cannon loadout.

Burning Sword could also work since it's fire based.

I mean, technically a Capcom vs Capcom crossover game already exists (Jam/Evolution), but I'd also love to see a modern one that contains characters from other genre.
Ooh! Imagine Capcom making a game simply titled Capcom Vs., and then following it up with DLC that's near the size of the base game:

Capcom Vs. Nintendo
Capcom Vs. Arc System Works
Capcom Vs. SquareEnix

The only issue with this is that it would be expensive for DLC (and people won't treat it like a new game) and they'd hit the data storage cap pretty quickly doing that...

Speaking of Capcom Amaterasu and Pheonix Wright deserved to be the Capcom reps instead of Ryu and Ken. The former 2 have done more for Nintendo than Street Fighter.
You're gonna have a hard time convincing me that a continuous commercial flop is doing more for a company than a gaming icon.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I still question to this day why Nintendo vs. Capcom hasn't happened. Like its so obvious given Capcom has as much of IP's as Nintendo does.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Picture Dixie's reveal being the final trilogy of:ultkrool:and:ultbanjokazooie:

:ultzss:(Or:ultisabelle:given she's closer to size) trolling:ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool:and:ultbanjokazooie:only for Dixie to appear and knock them aside.
It'd be pretty dumb to do the exact same thing a third time. If we do have a third jungle reveal, it should subvert the formula, such as having the initial character be the actual one. (I've seen this used for possible Waluigi reveals)

Nquoid

Smash Ace
So glad you have your age listed. Street Fighter 2 was a defining hit of the SNES era. That alone forever ties Street Fighter to Nintendo

D

Deleted member

@Velveeta Dream I have a question for you. If hypothetically the Atelier series was going to get a playable character, which character would they use?

I've been researching the series and I'm surprised it has a long history of over 20 years with tons of games, side titles, remakes/ports, and hell even a manga and anime adaptation. Apparently Ryza, the newest installment, is getting released this month in the West on the PS4/Switch/PC. Would they use the newest protagonist Ryza or would they use an earlier protagonist?
Good question. While I don't know anything about the games released past Rorona, Atelier is split into 3 different sub-series: Arland, Dusk, and Mysterious, but Atelier Ryza is the start of a new sub-series, so Ryza would probably be the 1 to rep the series given that Joker is from the lastest Persona game and Hero's default look is the Luminary from the most recent installment of DQ (not to mention Ryza is looking to be the most popular girl with how much fanart there is of her compared to the other protags).

If it isn't Ryza or an Atelier rep was actually planned before the reveal of her game, there was a popularity poll for Atelier characters that happened over a year ago (seemingly only in Japan though), and Sophie from the Mysterious series was #1 with Totori and Rorona from the Arland series right behind her. Any of the 3 could end up being in Smash, though with Sophie being #1 and was even on Warriors All Stars as a playable character, she might have more going for her than the other 2.

Poll: https://twitter.com/GustAtelierPR/status/1032190922518192128

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Good question. While I don't know anything about the games released past Rorona, Atelier is split into 3 different sub-series: Arland, Dusk, and Mysterious, but Atelier Ryza is the start of a new sub-series, so Ryza would probably be the 1 to rep the series given that Joker is from the lastest Persona game and Hero's default look is the Luminary from the most recent installment of DQ (not to mention Ryza is looking to be the most popular girl with how much fanart there is of her compared to the other protags).

If it isn't Ryza or an Atelier rep was actually planned before the reveal of her game, there was a popularity poll for Atelier characters that happened over a year ago (seemingly only in Japan though), and Sophie from the Mysterious series was #1 with Totori and Rorona from the Arland series right behind her. Any of the 3 could end up being in Smash, though with Sophie being #1 and was even on Warriors All Stars as a playable character, she might have more going for her than the other 2.

I see. Let's say Ryza was picked, how would her moveset be? I know the Atelier games incorporate alchemy in their gameplay so I'm interested in how that can work in Smash.

D

Deleted member

You're gonna have a hard time convincing me that a continuous commercial flop is doing more for a company than a gaming icon.
Because this gaming icon's smash hits were on the competitors system and barely on Nintendo's console. And also
Poor sales =/= bad game.

Thats like saying Wii Party is a better game than Metroid Prime 3 lol.

So glad you have your age listed. Street Fighter 2 was a defining hit of the SNES era. That alone forever ties Street Fighter to Nintendo
And you have been living under a rock if you didnt notice the list of Street Fighter/Crossover games that weren't on Nintendo consoles.

You're gonna have a hard time convincing me that a series is "forever tied to Nintendo" after they abandoned the console that helped them be more successful for their competitors lmao. And even if the both of you think Ryu deserves to be in Smash over Amaterasu, that still doesnt change the fact that Capcom has other successful Ip's that spent more time on Nintendo's consoles.

If any series deserved another character its definitely Megaman.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Once again. When Ken made his debuting appearance he began as a obvious clone to Ryu which they based it off of. Scorpion and Sub-Zero in their debut never had. They had much different abilities from the get go.

From all the Echos I've seen. They've all had the same abilities and basically just alike:ultpeach::ultdaisy:and:ultsimon::ultrichter:

Scorpion and Sub-Zero don't fall into these categories. Scorpion's has fire/hellish abilities while Sub-Zero has cyrokinetic abilities. How would they associate that?

And as Lesley said.

Scorpion's a fire wraith with a kunai, while Sub Zero's an ice master as well as different styles. Plus how would Sub-Zero copy Scorpion's Neutral B since it'd be obvious it'd be his signature Spear move.
Have the spear as a tether grab. If Smash Ryu and Ken are so wildly different then it just works out.

Also the only good "K.Rool trailer but again yet again" idea was for Mai Shiranui only for Sans to get in

SvartWolf

Smash Champion

meanwhile best girl is sadly at eight

She couldeven use the dashing Logy in her final smash, and she got an anime! (although it was awful T.T)

Never played the mysterious games. though...
I actually loved Totori's and Ayesha character arcs in their sagas... even though i'm not too fond of their visual characters designs in particular.
I actually enjoy Sophies first half design, but her other design is waaay too much magical girl/ Idol for me ._. my favoirte alchemist designs are more geared towards more practical yet cute outfits honestly. after all they are first and foremost laborers! XD Still i feel that most of sophie popularity might been drained by Ryza but who knows...

I think that Marie, the original alchemist have a decent chane to appearing if they do something akin to the belmonts or hero. The Salburg saga had a modest ammount of impact and is still considered by some as a cult classic.

Outside of that i feel that the Iris saga was more niche, and the Mana Khemia games while also having a little more of impact, feel more like spinoffs

Last edited:

Nquoid

Smash Ace
Because this gaming icon's smash hits were on the competitors system and barely on Nintendo's console. And also
Poor sales =/= bad game.

And you have been living under a rock if you didnt notice the list of Street Fighter/Crossover games that weren't on Nintendo consoles.

You're gonna have a hard time convincing me that a series is "forever tied to Nintendo" after they abandoned the console that helped them be more successful for their competitors lmao. And even if the both of you think Ryu deserves to be in Smash over Amaterasu, that still doesnt change the fact that Capcom has other successful Ip's that spent more time on Nintendo's consoles.

If any series deserved another character its definitely Megaman.
I mean Okami started on Playstation, but i also think she deserves to be in Smash.

Street Fighter 2 is the single best selling 3rd party game on the SNES. Probably the single best selling one on Nintendo systems ever (want to look that up). Yes the franchise left the system soon after, but the Street Fighter 3 series only came to Dreamcast and the Alpha series all got ported to Nintendo systems.

Ultimately Capcom left Street Fighter in a weird place for almost a decade and then came back with Street Fighter IV in HD, which the Wii was flat out not capable of running. But Street Fighter has appeared on every Nintendo system since the SNES and its legacy with that system basically trumps any franchise apart from Mega Man.

Hell every 3rd party franchise in Smash either didn't start on Nintendo systems or abandoned Nintendo at some point in its life, including Mega Man

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Poor sales =/= bad game.

I wasn't saying Okami was a bad game. In fact, it's one of my favorite games even though I've never played it. (If only it wasn't an E-shop only title on the Switch) But a game that doesn't do well commercially isn't good for a company.

That being said, I thought you were talking about Okami being a more beneficial title for Capcom for some reason even though you clearly stated Nintendo. I still kinda disagree with you on this statement, but not nearly as hard.

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman
Cloud Strife and Joker (or better yet, PERSONA; which has maybe 2 Nintendo console exclusive games) is in the game can we stop with the "lol they gotta be on nintendo consoles" arguments

Just say you want Amaterasu. You dont need bring up weak arguments to validate your request

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Not gonna lie, Amaterasu would be a pretty cool character. I can imagine that as she does some aerials, a paint brush materialises in front of her and flicks away the opponent.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Not gonna lie, Amaterasu would be a pretty cool character. I can imagine that as she does some aerials, a paint brush materialises in front of her and flicks away the opponent.
I believe the Celestial Brush is actually Amaterasu's tail so any attacks that use the brush directly would just be fancy looking tail swipes like her aerial S attack in MvC3.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Sure, but I'd like to see one that A. Actually plays like a 3v3 MvC game and B. Isn't terrible.

All future DLC reveal trailers should be based on and be continuations of the K.Rool trailer, with DK's house getting more and more crowded with every single newcomer.
Aw, but that would just ruin those "every Smash character reveal trailer" compilation videos...

And wouldn't it be very ooc for Layton to knock them out?
I believe Level-5 once responded to the question of Layton in Smash Bros. in character as Layton with him saying that the whole idea seemed very barbaric.

Ken, despite getting more of his own moves over time, was still made a Ryu echo since they based him off Street Fighter II. They could easily base Sub-Zero off an earlier version if they wanted to make him an echo.
Even in their earliest incarnations, Scorpion and Sub-Zero had COMPLETELY different specials. So, while they did share all their other animations and normals, they'd have to be okay counting them as echo's despite having different specials.

Although...I guess Miis already do that...

Uhhh...no. Street Fighter 2 probably sold more SNESs than any other console ever.

I still question to this day why Nintendo vs. Capcom hasn't happened. Like its so obvious given Capcom has as much of IP's as Nintendo does.
I know that Campcom is doing great at the moment, but I kinda wish they'd sucked for awhile longer so maybe they'd have ended up being bought by Nintendo.

Because then, if all the Capcom characters suddenly because 1st party character, you'd see a bazillion of them Smash!

Last edited:

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
Square-Enix producer and board member Yosuke Saito, who produces the Drakengard/Nier series and the newer Dragon Quest games, recently invited Sakurai out for a meal a night or two ago. Says something about also inviting Sakurai to meet with Yoko Taro at some point. Worth noting though both he and Sakurai follow each other on Twitter, Yoko says he has never personally met with Sakurai.

Something tells me Square-Enix really wants Sakurai to entertain a Nier or Drakengard representative.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I believe Level-5 once responded to the question of Layton in Smash Bros. in character as Layton with him saying that the whole idea seemed very barbaric.
Wait really? When?
From what i've found Hino was always very happy with the idea of seeing Layton in Smash, even outright letting Sakurai himself know that he's happy to let him use the character during one of their talkshows.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Square-Enix producer and board member Yosuke Saito, who produces the Drakengard/Nier series and the newer Dragon Quest games, recently invited Sakurai out for a meal a night or two ago. Says something about also inviting Sakurai meet with Yoko Taro at some point. Worth noting though both he and Sakurai follow each other on Twitter, Yoko says he has never personally met with Sakurai.

Something tells me Square-Enix really wants Sakurai to entertain a Nier or Drakengard representative.
Yo 2B would be a really cool addition. My most preferred character from SE is Adam Jensen but 2B is in a very close second place. Her game is one of my favorite of this generation.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I see. Let's say Ryza was picked, how would her moveset be? I know the Atelier games incorporate alchemy in their gameplay so I'm interested in how that can work in Smash.
Well I don't really know since I've only been following Atelier Ryza after seeing her for the first time, and the game itself isn't out in the West yet since the release date in America is the 29th. She wields a staff and has a couple of spells in her arsenal, and there is a video that showcases the combat in the game itself, so I'd imagine her Smash moveset would involve some of this stuff:

Alchemy is also an integral part of the Atelier games, but I'm not quite certain how Sakurai would go about an actual crafting mechanic. Maybe she could have 1 of her specials involve crafting a randomized set of items to make stuff like healing potions or bombs, though like I've mentioned before I'm not the most knowledgeable with the series as a whole.

cj.

Smash Journeyman
Would be best if they just add Scorpion and Sub-Zero Mii Fighter costumes with the Immortals' song added as a bonus, like they did with Sans + Megalovania.
To be honest, I think that is a terrible idea.
Mortal Kombat has lots of better and more iconic music in his games than the theme of the movie, and an incredible moveset potential for his characters

Us3inMN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Us3inMN
Switch FC
SW-6591-4822-5026
To be honest, I think that is a terrible idea.
Mortal Kombat has lots of better and more iconic music in his games than the theme of the movie, and an incredible moveset potential for his characters
Plus, getting the rights to the Immortal's song would be hell, because they're dealing with a whole different form of media outside of a game. They used it for the movie, not the games.

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Well I don't really know since I've only been following Atelier Ryza after seeing her for the first time, and the game itself isn't out in the West yet since the release date in America is the 29th. She wields a staff and has a couple of spells in her arsenal, and there is a video that showcases the combat in the game itself, so I'd imagine her Smash moveset would involve some of this stuff:

Alchemy is also an integral part of the Atelier games, but I'm not quite certain how Sakurai would go about an actual crafting mechanic. Maybe she could have 1 of her specials involve crafting a randomized set of items to make stuff like healing potions or bombs, though like I've mentioned before I'm not the most knowledgeable with the series as a whole.
For what i saw, her "magics and summons" aren't too out of touch with what other alchemist do, so none of what she does would look awkward on another alchemist if we have a hero/belmont situation.

While i also think that crafting will likely be out of the table. and i also havent played teh game, if i base it on other series alchemists at least she needs a "bomb" like Special and a "food like" special would also be greatly appreciated. it would also be interesitng if those items have a way to be selected between different bombs and foods with different properties like "Unis" (Durian like fruitbombs) Ice bombs, fire bombs, etc... or for the food like specials a healing unguent (hp healing) some form of cake (stats boosting) or stuff like that, a resource management option with limited of this resources is also likely an option, albeit not the most unique in smash. (since usually Unis and Healing unguents are the 2 first items that you are always tasked to craft)

Since ps3 they have been implemeniting assist options and assist actions and chains from your party members, but honestly there have been theorycrafting of so much smash characters that could use party members as assists, and none have come to fruition, that i wouldn't bet for that.

Dunno regarding other mechanichs, and crafting minigame usually changes with each saga, so is not like there is an universal one, but maybe an interesting gimmick that kinda would try to replicate some crafting minigames is having some attacks referencing the four elements (water, air fire and ground) , and using them on succession gives you particular bonus? dunno.

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
Square-Enix producer and board member Yosuke Saito, who produces the Drakengard/Nier series and the newer Dragon Quest games, recently invited Sakurai out for a meal a night or two ago. Says something about also inviting Sakurai to meet with Yoko Taro at some point. Worth noting though both he and Sakurai follow each other on Twitter, Yoko says he has never personally met with Sakurai.

There's always a chance for a Nier Switch port happening one day, and 2B is highly likely candidate for Smash for a boatload of reasons, and there's no doubt she'd be fun as heck.

With that being said, that little gathering could mean nothing... or:

It could mean everything.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Yoko better be really good at Smash, because Toby showed us that that's the way to get your character in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom