• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Here is a short nugget that explains a particular quality that makes Dixie Kong particularly special among heroines. She has "Mario appeal"

During the 1990's, there were very few female gaming protagonists, especially outside of RPGs. For Nintendo, the two big ones were Samus (who many did not even know was a woman) and of course Dixie Kong.

Dixie Kong was a very interesting case. For many female characters, they are usually loved because of "sex appeal" or "waifu bait". However, Dixie Kong was a very "girly girl" kind of character (she would even cry if she got hit), yet she was very popular among boys during the 1990's. Why was this? Well, even though she was still very feminine and girly, she was at the same time very cool. She could fly through stages that were very challenging for our much younger selves, and flying is very cool. Her animations did much to endear people to her too, whether it was rocking out on a guitar, chewing gum, having a drink through a straw, or licking honey while climbing a wall. She had spunk and personality. DKC3 might very well been the first Nintendo game I remember ever being hyped for solely due to Dixie Kong headlining it (it was either that or Yoshi's Island).

Dixie Kong in a lot of ways is a female Mario. You would not think a girly monkey with an oversized ponytail would be very endearing (much the same way you would not think a mustachioed middle aged man wearing a red cap and shirt and blue overalls would be appealing), yet she is appealing and endearing to all kinds of demographics. She in many ways is the ideal heroine. Many heroines are made and written to be men in a female body, but Dixie Kong is still very feminine and a "girly girl", yet at the same time very much a heroine. For a series that regularly features kidnapping as a plotpoint, she still remains the only major playable Kong to have never been kidnapped by K. Rool (DK and Diddy have both been kidnapped twice). She has fight in her too (remember how she sassed K. Rool in DKC3).

Young boys would love and appreciate Dixie Kong just as much as young girls would, and that speaks a lot to her design and appeal as a character.

This is something I think no one else aside from myself has touched upon for Dixie Kong. She is a character that anyone from a little girl, to a grown woman, to young boys, and young men can all appreciate. She is a heroine with Mario appeal. Her personality is full of charm and appeal, while also being very fun to play as and use, all the while having a design you would normally think would not appeal across demographics.

I think more people need to understand this. A lot of female characters in general are polarizing for various reasons (for example, a character like Camilla is is popular among Fire Emblem fans, but many outside the demographic of young men do not like her personality and design). Dixie Kong might very well be the Mario of heroines, and that is a very powerful statement, as even very few male gaming characters have "Mario appeal".

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Oh boy. I finally caught up with the thread after 6 pages of being absent from the discussion so I apologise if these are old discussions but I can't ignore them.

Let's share our "Never-evers", characters you think have a slim to none chance at getting into Smash at this point but you'd still love to see against all odds.
Well for me it couldn't be anybody else except my man!

No! He ain't going away this time!
Cortez-actually-no.gif

He would be an awesome character. He'd be able to use his Temporal Uplink to grab objects, store ammo within it and even reflect objects back at people. He has a variety of weapons to work with like a Dispersion Gun which is a futuristic shotgun that uses air compression to blast a shot out at opponents, a Crossbow that can be lit on fire to then shoot out fire arrows to set people on fire. He even uses a Baseball Bat, a Ghost Gun that can be used to steal health, an Injector gun that shoots out needles that can inflate people until they blow up, An Electrotool that shoots a stream of electricity, a flamethrower, grenade launchers, Rocket Launchers, Miniguns, Plasma rifles, Sniper rifles, Double-Barrel Shotguns, Revolvers, Tommy Guns, Harpoon guns, remote mines, timed mines, proximity mines, time disrupting grenades and can even throw house bricks a people. No joke.

There are plenty of things for Cortez to do and even though he stands absolutely no chance against any other character in character speculation (Even Bubsy is more well known than him) It'd be my dream to have this guy fight against Nintendo's best and their third party allies. The only reason I haven't made a thread for him is because no one but me knows who he is and I'd get absolutely no support for him. If he was an option over Doom Guy, I'd take him in a heart beat.

Where is this bad *** queen when we need her?

Sitting in some damn recycling bin at Rare studios.
Yes please! I would love to see Joanna Dark ripping out on everyone using a reaper. It's a darned shame that this series is dead after Perfect Dark Zero.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Picture Dixie's reveal being the final trilogy of:ultkrool:and:ultbanjokazooie:

:ultzss:(Or:ultisabelle:given she's closer to size) trolling:ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool:and:ultbanjokazooie:only for Dixie to appear and knock them aside.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

:ultzss:(Or:ultisabelle:given she's closer to size) trolling:ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool:and:ultbanjokazooie:only for Dixie to appear and knock them aside.
Repeating a joke once is fine, since it serves as a callback and saves resources.

Repeating a joke twice is dumb.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Repeating a joke once is fine, since it serves as a callback and saves resources.

Repeating a joke twice is dumb.
All future DLC reveal trailers should be based on and be continuations of the K.Rool trailer, with DK's house getting more and more crowded with every single newcomer.
  • Elma? Fake-out with Bayo in her Jeanne alt.
  • Edelgard? Fake-out with Lucina in red alt.
  • Amaterasu? Fake-out with Lucario in his grey alt.
  • Doom Marine Guy Slayer Marine Guy? Green Samus.
  • Blue Naruto? Sheik.
  • And so on.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Let's share our "Never-evers", characters you think have a slim to none chance at getting into Smash at this point but you'd still love to see against all odds.
Ratchet & Clank, Kratos & Nathan Drake. All characters from great/iconic games with a lot of moveset potential. But alas, none of them will ever get in because Sony doesn’t like to play along with others.

D

Deleted member

All future DLC reveal trailers should be based on and be continuations of the K.Rool trailer, with DK's house getting more and more crowded with every single newcomer.
  • Blue Naruto? Sheik.
  • And so on.
Maaan I got a better idea, everything in the next installment is gonna take place at Dk's house. The intro, the menu, the stage, everything.

Call it Super Smash Bros Dk's establishment.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
  • Blue Naruto? Sheik.
  • And so on.
Layton? Fake out of Ness sitting totem on top of Lucas while dressed as Layton...

...Actually, that would be pretty wholesome to see...

Last edited:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Layton? Fake out of Ness sitting totem on top of Lucas while disguising as Layton...

...Actually, that would be pretty wholesome to see...
They'd certainly fit the art style. But if they were only appear as a silhouette at first, wouldn't the proportions be way off? And wouldn't it be very ooc for Layton to knock them out? I only ever played the first game, but I'm still certain of this much.

And that reminds me that I forgot Phoenix in my little list there. . . jeez, who could even fill in for him? Captain Falcon in a suit? He'd probably fit best, but he never takes of his helmet, not even for washing his hair.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'm probably the only one who wants Doom Slayer's reveal to be an continuation to:ultridley:

Ridley's about to kill:ultzss:only to hear the sound of an chainsaw buzzing and turns his head as an figure comes out of the shadows revealing to be Doom Slayer and begins to beat and shoots the **** out of Ridley. :grin:

Any other potential of continuation reveals? Only other one I can think of is an RE rep reveal being an continuation to:ultsimon:/:ultrichter:

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
They'd certainly fit the art style. But if they were only appear as a silhouette at first, wouldn't the proportions be way off? And wouldn't it be very ooc for Layton to knock them out? I only ever played the first game, but I'm still certain of this much.

And that reminds me that I forgot Phoenix in my little list there. . . jeez, who could even fill in for him? Captain Falcon in a suit? He'd probably fit best, but he never takes of his helmet, not even for washing his hair.
Nah it wouldn't be a knockout thing, more just him showing up next to them and pointing out the imposter in true Layton fashion.
Especially if its done in an animated cutscene type fashion the series is known for, I'd guess they'd be able to get away with the whole proportion thing.
Plus wouldn't be the first time someone disguised themselves as someone clearly out of proportion from them, but that's going into spoiler territory...

As for Phoenix, Snake I suppose?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

ZSS wouldn;t fit due to the fact that it would seem to out of character for her.

Sorry fo rthe double post!

Last edited by a moderator:

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Nah it wouldn't be a knockout thing, more just him showing up next to them and pointing out the imposter in true Layton fashion.
Especially if its done in an animated cutscene type fashion the series is known for, I'd guess they'd be able to get away with the whole proportion thing.
Plus wouldn't be the first time someone disguised themselves as someone clearly out of proportion from them, but that's going into spoiler territory...

As for Phoenix, Snake I suppose?
Oh, got it.
Man, I really need to get around to continuing that series. . . it has already been years since I played the first game, and just fell off on follow up on that because there kept being other games.

Also,
:ultsnake: Hrrrrngggghhh. . . colonel, there is an inconsistency in the witnesses testimony. What should I do? [...] Otacon! The prosecution updated the autopsy report!
:ultganondorf: Could the defense please stay off the phone during the trial?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Another big issue about the gender of the videogames characters is oversaturation...

I don't mind INTERESTING straight white cis males, there are a couple, of very cool and interesting ones in modern gaming such as Geralt or Joker.. or....(Damn, my mind memory is slow today, let's assume there are a couple more) but if you ask me between a boring male protagonist or a boring female protagonist, i will choose female boring protagonist mosty because i'm sick to death of male boring protagonists...

A good example is spring man... noone is asking for spring man because it's great character arc or it's stellar personality, people ask for an arms rep mostly because they liked arms, they like the gameplay possibilities, they want teh originality or the uniquness of it, or they want the fresh faces and pretty colors.
And when you get a guy that it's designed to be the "white dude" of the game Is by oversaturation, that we are oversaturated of protagonists that are just "white dudes" because thats the most "neutral" (It's not) it's not hard to understand why characters like ribbon girl, Min min or twintelle are waaay more popular (specially twintelle) than springman.

This is mostly due to the assumption that male is the "default" template which means is teh one that will connect with the biggest ammount of players. this is obviously changing little by little, but this is a sexist notion that does more harm than good. not trying to demonize people that think like that for a lot of us, is part of our sexist culture (i have to go to great lenghts to not think of duck hunt duo as a "him" even if there is nothing in teh character that is gender coded and for all purposes, is a gender neutral character, unlike Banjo and kazooie which are clearly gender coded)

Still, there is an interesting ammount of gender neutral cast in smash (most of the pokemons, ROB, PP, Duck Hunt Dog) and if you count male/female characters as gender neutral you got a couple more.

Anyways, of my top 5 most wanted characters, 2 are females (Morrigan and Edelgard) 2 are gender neutral (Frisk and Chosen Undead) and one is a bishonen, (Alucard) but i want none of them to fill quotas, i want all of them for both their characters and their games, but is true than just having a female lead immediatly make you stand out more. if just because of the army of generic bland white dudes "neutral" protagonists out there. Variety is an important factor in deciding teh roster, this is known by sakurai thats why we have a friggin plant.
Respectfully disagree. Spring-a-ling forever.

D

Deleted member

Well to be fair I only thought of her as a choice given she's blonde like Dixie and having ponytails but I do think Isabelle would be a better fit due to reason already stated.
Isabelle is the better fit.

*shrugs* Every day, the chances of a female DLC become unlikely. I highly Season 2 will even contain female characters, It's hopeless at this point.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Isabelle is the better fit.

*shrugs* Every day, the chances of a female DLC become unlikely. I highly Season 2 will even contain female characters, It's hopeless at this point.
Maybe not as DLC fighter 5 but I'm certain we'll get at least one female rep post-Pass. I feel Dixie's got a shot given her demand.

I'm also still feeling people are sleeping on Lara Croft.

SKX31

Smash Master
I'm probably the only one who wants Doom Slayer's reveal to be an continuation to:ultridley:

Ridley's about to kill:ultzss:only to hear the sound of an chainsaw buzzing and turns his head as an figure comes out of the shadows revealing to be Doom Slayer as he beats and shoots the **** out of Ridley. :grin:

Any other potential of continuation reveals? Only other one I can think of is an RE rep reveal being an continuation to:ultsimon:/:ultrichter:
1. Ring Fit following up on :ultwiifittrainer:'s trailer.

2. Heihachi / Scorpion continuing Keincineroar's trailer:

One idea I've been having is that instead of K. Rool, Villager and Jr. ganging up on Incin, the entire arena goes pitch black. Incineroar gets grabbed by something and thrown off stage to be beaten up, while Ryu rushes to Ken's aid - blocking an unseen projectile about to hit Ken. When the lights come back on, Ryu and Ken find themselves face to face against Scorpion and Sub-Zero (Echo).

This rough idea is also possible with Heihachi / Jin / Kazuya, you just gotta pick who's the prime fighter and who's the Echo.

3. Lara Croft can be done in a similar style as :ultisabelle:'s trailer. Perhaps with Isabelle helping Master Hand and finding out Lara's adress for him.
4. Ryu Hayabusa could be a twist on :ultgreninja:'s trailer, with Ryu getting the drop on Greninja.

5. Any unexpected character (MOBA, Gordon Freeman, Arle, to a certain extent Shantae*) can be done in a similar style as Bayo's with magic / sci fi tech tracking down Bayo's position.

*(Calling Shantae unexpected due to indies not being promoted to characters just yet)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Maybe not as DLC fighter 5 but I'm certain we'll get at least one female rep post-Pass. I feel Dixie's got a shot given her demand.

I'm also still feeling people are sleeping on Lara Croft.
Either way, if this is the scenario, I'm sorry but I won't and shall not buy the pass. There's no true women, and I'm sorry, but this pass does not acknowledge teh female demographic the true way it should be.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Scorpion and Sub-Zero (Echo).
I don't mean to come across rude but despite having similar heights and proportions. Sub-Zero couldn't be an Echo to Scorpion given their different abilities. Why are people always saying Sub-Zero can be an Echo despite this? Just because they look alike? Because they're basically the Ryu and Ken of Mortal Kombat?

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I don't mean to come across rude but despite having similar heights and proportions. Sub-Zero couldn't be an Echo to Scorpion given their different abilities. Why are people always saying Sub-Zero can be an Echo despite this? Just because they look alike? Because they're basically the Ryu and Ken of Mortal Kombat?
Ken, despite getting more of his own moves over time, was still made a Ryu echo since they based him off Street Fighter II. They could easily base Sub-Zero off an earlier version if they wanted to make him an echo.

D

Deleted member

F. F. S.

I know Mortal Kombat. They have NOTHING IN COMMON FFS. Scorpion's a fire wraith with a kunai, while Sub Zero's an ice master. It's freaking obvious that they won't be echoes.

"Umm...Roy and Chrom don't have the same Up+B, plus Ryu and Ken have different styles"

But damn it. Ryu and Ken have similar styles, yet Scorpion and Sub-Zero have vastly different ones.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Ken, despite getting more of his own moves over time, was still made a Ryu echo since they based him off Street Fighter II. They could easily base Sub-Zero off an earlier version if they wanted to make him an echo.
Except unlike Ken who began as a clone of Ryu. Both Scorpion and Sub-Zero still had different abilities from the very beginning.
F. F. S.

I know Mortal Kombat. They have NOTHING IN COMMON FFS. Scorpion's a fire wraith with a kunai, while Sub Zero's an ice master. It's freaking obvious that they won't be echoes.

"Umm...Roy and Chrom don't have the same Up+B, plus Ryu and Ken have different styles"

But damn it. Ryu and Ken have similar styles, yet Scorpion and Sub-Zero have vastly different ones.
I know right? I roll my eyes everytime people brings up Sub-Zero as an Echo to Scorpion.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Ken is wildly different from Ryu so yeah, iy csn work

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Ken is wildly different from Ryu so yeah, iy csn work
Once again. When Ken made his debuting appearance he began as a obvious clone to Ryu which they based it off of. Scorpion and Sub-Zero in their debut never had. They had much different abilities from the get go.

From all the Echos I've seen. They've all had the same abilities and basically just alike:ultpeach::ultdaisy:and:ultsimon::ultrichter:

Scorpion and Sub-Zero don't fall into these categories. Scorpion's has fire/hellish abilities while Sub-Zero has cyrokinetic abilities. How would they associate that?

And as Lesley said.

Scorpion's a fire wraith with a kunai, while Sub Zero's an ice master as well as different styles. Plus how would Sub-Zero copy Scorpion's Neutral B since it'd be obvious it'd be his signature Spear move.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

*sigh*

You guys can talk the Mortal Kombat stuff while you're at it. I'm going to sleep.

If only I'm not plagued by the nightmare of the last DLC character being male for the time being...

GOD DAMMIT SHUT UP, ME!

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Would be best if they just add Scorpion and Sub-Zero Mii Fighter costumes with the Immortals' song added as a bonus, like they did with Sans + Megalovania.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I like that the female characters discussion was pretty civil and understanding as to why diversity is important.

I think it's worth considering the surprising option sometimes as well. The Layton thread obviously supports the good professor first and foremost, but we've also discussed the merits of Katrielle (her own game, star of an anime, tons of personality, interesting cosplay gimmick). I'm also sure many would be pleased to see the legendary Chun-Li or Jill Valentine make it into Smash.

I'm not an Elma supporter solely because she's a woman of color, I just love her dearly and the music and stage she could bring would be awesome...but the fact that she stands out in a roster certainly doesn't hurt.

I support a Style Savvy Rep because we don't have any character like her. The unique shoujo style, the hilarious fashion moves, the elegant attitude - this is all new and exciting!

2B is the face of what I would consider the greatest game I've ever played. She is the definition of a modern icon.

Roster diversity is what makes fighting games fun. The King of Fighters series shows that you can have a unique roster that still feels cohesive. That's part of what makes Smash special too.

D

Deleted member

I like that the female characters discussion was pretty civil and understanding as to why diversity is important
Coming from someone who constantly visits my thread, this does bring a lovely smile on my face.

GO BACK TO SLEEP, ME!

E-Eh, sorry @Blue__Falcon. I just like talking to myself a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think it's worth considering the surprising option sometimes as well. The Layton thread obviously supports the good professor first and foremost, but we've also discussed the merits of Katrielle (her own game, star of an anime, tons of personality, interesting cosplay gimmick).
Yeah as much as my main priorities lie on Hershel Layton, if they happened to opt for his daughter instead then that's alright too, as Katrielle Layton is able to bring in her own unique flair to the series as well. Especially with her cosplay outfits.

D

Deleted member

Yeah as much as my main priorities lie on Hershel Layton, if they happened to opt for his daughter instead then that's alright too, as Katrielle Layton is able to bring in her own unique flair to the series as well. Especially with her cosplay outfits
That's why we have echoes to mix that up with.

D

Deleted member

Coming from someone who constantly visits my thread, this does bring a lovely smile on my face.

GO BACK TO SLEEP, ME!

E-Eh, sorry @Blue__Falcon. I just like talking to myself a lot.
Hey don't worry about it, I also have a small habit of thinking out loud when im agitated, irl not on the internet lol.

I highly advise journaling to deal with that problem. It not only helps with sorting out problems but also with taking notes and planning out your day.

D

Deleted member

Hey don't worry about it, I also have a small habit of thinking out loud when im agitated, irl not on the internet lol.

I highly advise journaling to deal with that problem. It not only helps with sorting out problems but also with taking notes and planning out your day.

Great video. Wishing that I would do the same.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Maybe not a FULL continuation, but any villain type character could reuse the intro of K. Rool/Banjo-Kazooie’s trailers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom