• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
It's not like they couldn't have done both at the same time. They could have just made 2 or even 1 of the Heroes purely female instead of adding both gender swaps.
Yeah, it seems that generally people would've preferred Sofia over Solo. A shame.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
It's very weird that people try to argue for Liquid Snake as Snake's echo fighter when Big Boss or even The Boss makes far more sense.
The problem with Big Boss as an Echo is A. He looks exactly like Snake. He's, like, not even an echo. He's an alt costume. And B. He's only sometimes a villain.

I need a villain villain. I need Snakes rival. Not his weird absentee dad figure.

Honestly I'd love just about any echo possibility for Snake or just Metal Gear content in general. Still thought a Metal Gear REX boss fight should have been in world of light.
Definitely deserved to be there more than Galleom.

Yeah, it seems that generally people would've preferred Sofia over Solo. A shame.
I'm not a big Sofia fan. I think her hair and outfit are stupid.

The DQ10 Heroine is pretty rad though.

Also I would love The Boss as a boss fight, she's one of my fave characters but Smash usually goes with big bosses for that so a Metal Gear boss fight would be very cool.
Well, yeah, if you're going to go to all the trouble of making a moveset for a human-sized character, why not just make them playable?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's not like they couldn't have done both at the same time. They could have just made 2 or even 1 of the Heroes purely female instead of adding both gender swaps.
He could have added Sofia instead of Solo, true. I can't assume why he went with Solo, though.

.I'm not a big Sofia fan. I think her hair and outfit are stupid.
Hair's fine; not big on the lack of pants.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Oooo, are we discussing alt costumes? I compiled a list of alts I'd buy if they ever made payable costumes.

:ultpalutena:: NES artwork
:ultmarth:: Pants-less Marth
:ultjoker:: Christmas costume or better yet, his police crossdressing outfit
:ultbayonetta1:: Rosa (her mom), or her nun outfit (I love how she's a witch but great with kids and canonically a nun)
:ultwolf:: costume based off of Starfox 2 on the SNES
:ultpeach:: Any of her Mario Party 2 costumes
:ultganondorf:: Hyrule Warriors
:ultfalcon:: Bart Lemming (Yes, Captain Falcon owns a restaurant)
:ultchrom:: Tokyo Mirage Sessions
:ultsquirtle:: Sunglasses wearing Squirtle Squad guy (red headband is optional)
:ultzss:: Gandrayda or Military harness/gloves/short ponytail
:ultcloud:: Naturally, Cloud in a dress
:ultpikachu:: Detective Pikachu. Ryan Renold soundclips are optional
:ultrosalina:: Biker outfit
:ultryu:: Red Bull Ryu or that hot bearded one
:ultdarksamus:: Incomplete Dark Samus
:ultlink:: Realistically, some combat armor from BoTW... but ideally, this or his magical rupee armor from Twilight Princess
:ultmewtwo:: Mecha Mewtwo
:ultshulk:: This
:ultrichter:: Possessed Symphony of the Night Richter
:ulttoonlink:: Literally any one of these
:ultsnake:: Old guy Snake
:ultfox:: James McCloud sunglasses (follow me, Fox!)
:ultfalco:: Red jumpsuit
:ultbowser:: Tuxedo w/ tophat
Terry: Mark of the Wolves (assuming we don't get it) or a costume based on Rock Howard.
I want my Young Link wearing the Keaton Mask. Don't know why that's never been a thing. I wish ROB's Virtual Boy color was more elaborate, like the one in Project M that had Mario Tennis textured into his eyes.

Also not really an Alt but why did Ultimate take away my Retro Wario recolor. Still salty.

Sigman

Smash Cadet
My guess in regards to the Persona stuff is that Sony likely has an interest in keeping the main series Persona games on their systems (and we all know how Sony is with Nintendo to the point that a Sony owned character is only slightly more likely than a non video game character)
We do? Has Sakurai specifically said something negative about Sony?
Sakurai plays games on Sony owned platforms.

Sony has a history working with Nintendo and other companies.
Sony allowed Master Chief to appear on Sony owned platforms. Sony worked with Microsoft for their network infrastructure. Sony worked with Nintendo and Microsoft against Trump. Sony published games on the SNES, Game Boy Color, and the Nintendo Switch. They support Cross Platform games like Phantasy Star Online 2 released for the Nintendo Switch, which said game has characters they own like Kat and Raven from Gravity Rush in it.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/halos-master-chief-now-on-nintendo-switch-thanks-t/1100-6456435/
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...r-chief-skins-appear-in-minecraft-switch.aspx
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q*bert
https://www.gravityrushcentral.com/2017/08/20/overview-gravity-rushs-crossovers-game-franchises/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_that_support_cross-platform_play
https://www.destructoid.com/master-...ole-via-official-minecraft-skins-462079.phtml
https://www.polygon.com/2017/10/17/16488326/sony-nintendo-switch-game-tiny-metal-unties-label
https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/20/18632374/microsoft-sony-cloud-gaming-partnership-amazon-google
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/n...p-withdraw-china-tariffs-joint-letter-1221108
https://www.gameinformer.com/2019/0...letter-discouraging-trump-administration-from
https://mynintendonews.com/2017/01/08/a-look-at-sakurais-incredible-game-collection/

Sony and Nintendo CEO's own third-party consoles.

They came together in the same room at the Game Awards without them throttling the other.
Third-parties are allegedly "easy to work with" according to Masahiro Sakurai:
https://www.sourcegaming.info/2016/02/23/nintendo-dream-interview-with-sakurai-part-2/

Sakurai said:
Those third-party characters are huge icons of their respective companies, so such an opportunity is hard to come by. That being said, now that Smash has grown into a well-known franchise, the creators recognize the merits of allowing us to use their characters, so negotiations have tended to go rather smoothly.
Has something happened between Sony and Sakurai?

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Agreed. It's a very good game but we wouldn't have gotten the Mii Costume now if we were getting Frisk later down the line. Furthermore many indies of equal or greater legacy have been relegated to Assists and Spirits, it wouldn't be fair for Undertale to get special treatment. The Sans costume and music are great, but an indie with Legacy should have the first indie rep slot. Such as Cave Story
Shantae? Steve?

Honestly, could Steve be the first "indie" fighter we get? Highly popular even in Japan (?), Microsoft already gave us Banjo in the separate Fighter's Pass.

KatKit

Smash Lord
Ngl I HIGHLY doubt 2B will be chosen as a character to represent Square Enix, considering the fact that we've gotten minimal content from them and they usually licence out their biggest names for Smash (Well except Geno but he's heavily associated with Mario) and 2B is from one of their more niche franchises? Nah, I don't think they'd go with her. And with Nintendo picking the DLC I can't see them going for a character from a franchise with no history or roots with Nintendo. (Even Cloud and Joker have had a presence before their inclusions in addition to having long-seeded roots)
Nier Automata is a critically acclaimed break out hit that SquareEnix heavily advertised before and after its release. Now, something like Lost Sphear is niche. However, Nier Automata sold over 4 million copies (and 2B has had several guest cameos outside of it) and fans have been demanding a Switch port for quite some time. Additionally, the game's director, lead designer, and producer have all stated that they'd love to do it, but that ultimately the decision is up to SquareEnix. Moreover, the original game had a cancelled PSVita version in the making that was scrapped. I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up on the Switch, too. Nintendo would then have an exclusive on their hands and a way to introduce their audience to the series.

This doesn't even factor in 2B's popularity. For a modern day videogame character, she's pretty freakin' iconic. It doesn't hurt that Sakurai is a huge Drakengard/Nier fan. Yes, it's Nintendo's decision, but if the opportunity ever presented itself, he'd most likely take it. If 2B ever ended up in Smash, she can promote hypothetical Nier ports.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
This is the game that nerfed Zero Suit's rack we're talking about. Have a hard time believing they'd let Terry's run unchecked.
Give her a T-shirt and shorts that actually fit her and she'll be fine. Her real problem is that she isn't built like a male bodybuilder so it'd take some finagling to keep the hurtboxes the same while still making sense.

Honestly, could Steve be the first "indie" fighter we get? Highly popular even in Japan (?), Microsoft already gave us Banjo in the separate Fighter's Pass.
Steve isn't an indie character.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Give her a T-shirt and shorts that actually fit her and she'll be fine. Her real problem is that she isn't built like a male bodybuilder so it'd take some finagling to keep the hurtboxes the same while still making sense.

Why do you think I put indie in quotations?

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
He could have added Sofia instead of Solo, true. I can't assume why he went with Solo, though.
Solo is the face of DQ4 in promotional media; he consistently shows up as the lead representative of the game whenever the series calls for all the Heroes to show up together as a group while Sofia’s only credited appearance post-DQ4 to my knowledge is in Battle Road Victory.

There’s also the fact that his face is used for the app image of the game on iOS, which further emphasizes this.

KatKit

Smash Lord
I want my Young Link wearing the Keaton Mask. Don't know why that's never been a thing. I wish ROB's Virtual Boy color was more elaborate, like the one in Project M that had Mario Tennis textured into his eyes.
Good suggestions!

The Keaton mask (usually paired with swords/shields from Majora's Mask) would be nice.

It'll be weird on his smaller body, but since Young Link is the tragic version of Link who dies before passing on his knowledge and gets no credit for saving the world (at least twice), I'd love to see him wearing the Hero's Shade armor his lingering spirit wore in TP.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Shoutout to Evil Trapezium Evil Trapezium for making this for me.
I think this is an ideal realistic set of Fighter's Passes to fill the 16 World of Light slots.
My smash ultimate dlc fighters 2.png

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
There’s an alarming lack of female characters in that line up... and imo having both Doom Slayer AND Master Chief feels rather redundant
And it's gonna cost a ****ton of money to get all those characters, hype be damned.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Yeah, some female characters like 2B, Jill Valentine, Lara Croft, or even Akira Howard or Byleth would go a long way variety-wise. Also, Young Heihachi?! Way lamer than his cool old man form. Not bad but very samey in terms of audience and aesthetics.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Yeah, some female characters like 2B, Jill Valentine, Lara Croft, or even Akira Howard or Byleth would go a long way variety-wise. Also, Young Heihachi?! Way lamer than his cool old man form. Not bad but very samey in terms of audience and aesthetics.
Even Octolings would give more variety, and they’re prime Echo material

above all else tho I just want Elma //sob

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Sorry for the lack of female characters. Just when I think of gaming icons, very few female characters make it.
Lara Croft is really the only female character not already in Smash that is on par with the ones I chose.

D

Deleted member

I think this is an ideal realistic set of Fighter's Passes to fill the 16 World of Light slots.
View attachment 239827
If this was the full DLC lineup. I'm done with Smash.

To be honest, I've never truly moved on from my debate. No seriously. Everyday just bugs me because of the thought that out of every single fighting game out there, we're the ones who don't let new girls join the party. I mean, Street Fighter gave us Poison and Lucia, Tekken brought back Zafina and who knows who's coming next, and freaking Blazblue Cross Tag Battle gave us a couple of new ladies. And Smash? Nothing, just hot men and no women. This has got to be the worst gender respresentation of guest characters in a fighting game. Whoever made this didn't even think of the possibility of females being added.

I personally I think i want to start up a new forum thread for this issue.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
I should have emphasized about a page ago that, I actually love ZSS's design in Ultimate. Just wanted to point out that there have been steps, deliberate or not, to limit sexualization in Smash. (So... No Busty Bogard.)
View attachment 239827
I mess with both of these. As much as I love Halo, I'd probably slide in Doom Slayer where Chief is. That's simply because Halo lacks history with Nintendo whatsoever. Also Spyro and Crash in the same pass is a bold move...

Last edited:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State

He's barely a character.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
I made my own custom set earlier and noticed I hadn't put any females on there either (unless half of Dragonborn's skins use a female model; or if some of The Prince's skins are his female cousins such as Ichigo and Velvet). Though along with what Ben Holt said (Lara was the only one that matched the others in iconic status), it was mainly because all of the females I'm hoping for are either 1st party (Dixie Kong, Gothitelle, Adeleine, Pauline, Brittany, etc), much less likely due something like a spirit (Shantae), or doesn't even come from an official game (Demo). I personally don't have much interest in a lot of the third party females since games/series like modern Fire Emblem, Persona, Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, or Nier Automata never really interested me.

Also I agree that Jacket Bogard would make for the more optimal alt set since they wouldn't need to record new voice lines or worry about inconsistent hitboxes.

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
Sorry for the lack of female characters. Just when I think of gaming icons, very few female characters make it.
Lara Croft is really the only female character not already in Smash that is on par with the ones I chose.
Surely you can think of popular/iconic women in gaming who aren't in Smash who can surpass the likes of Geno and Lloyd lol.

If not, I'll gladly provide a list.

That's not a bad list, and I can realistically see a good chunk of those characters making it in, but there's definitely some gals who are strong contenders.

To be honest, I've never truly moved on from my debate. No seriously. Everyday just bugs me because of the thought that out of every single fighting game out there, we're the ones who don't let new girls join the party. I mean, Street Fighter gave us Poison and Lucia, Tekken brought back Zafina and who knows who's coming next, and freaking Blazblue Cross Tag Battle gave us a couple of new ladies. And Smash? Nothing, just hot men and no women. This has got to be the worst gender respresentation of guest characters in a fighting game. Whoever made this didn't even think of the possibility of females being added.

Calm down, amiga. Smash DLC isn't over yet; our time will come.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160

Tekken and Street Fighter are not really comparable to Smash Bros.
Tekken and Street Fighter can literally just create brand new female fighters if they want more gender diversity.
Smash has to pick from existing characters in video gaming, and iconic ones at that.
While I support Dixie Kong and Impa as two of my absolutely most wanted newcomers from Nintendo, when it comes to third party picks, there simply are not that many female icons to pick from unless you are intentionally forcing gender diversity.
As I stated before, Lara Croft is the only female character I can think of off the top of my head that is on par with the current third party fighters.

D

Deleted member

Seeing most of these lineups is kinda tiresome given that most of them repeat a good number of characters among themselves with little variety. Plus none reflect the content we have so far, which includes characters from franchises that are not that big and that they focus way too much on Western IP which so far we only just got one.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
He's barely a character.
He’s still a character and icon people like and a Mojang member called him notable/a character, too.

And he actually does have a bit of “character” if what was said about him and Alex in the June-August 2016 issue of the Lego Club magazine is official (plus they can blink now). Even official Minecraft animations with them give them a bit of character.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
That's vague enough as to where it could be applied for most Assist Trophies currently in the game like Waluigi, Ashley, Skull Kid, Etc. so I don't think that's very good or sound reasoning.

Could he be added? no depending on how much focus they would want to hypothetically put onto upgrades maybe but I don't think they'll focus too much on upgrades so at best we'll get like 4-5 but even then that's a bit of a stretch, Shadow would not be one of those few. I just don't see it and as I said your reasoning is vague enough as to where it could be applied to a good chunk of Assist Trophies.
Okay in truth the stuff i posted was really vague to ..I will type a Bible Document that explains more in depth of what i mean, this was just a preview of the reasons, but i have legitimate Reasons to believe that Shadow will actually come to fruition

Shadow will be upgraded, and most likely upgraded before any other assist trophy. Got evidence, will share later. Out

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Seeing most of these lineups is kinda tiresome given that most of them repeat a good number of characters among themselves with little variety. Plus none reflect the content we have so far, which includes characters from franchises that are not that big and that they focus way too much on Western IP which so far we only just got one.
I mean, popular characters tend to be..... popular.

7NATOR

Smash Master
When it comes to Female Characters, there are a few they could Add that i could see happening

Reimu
KOS-MOS
Arle Nardija

Also I guess Jill, and Lara, But i don't see them happening

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Given Shantae's demand and popularity. I could see her as a possibility.

Dixie Kong as well. Maybe Edelgard too. Lara Croft would be ideal because she's THE female video game protagonist and big in the 90's. More then a good enough reason to warrant a spot.

Would love me some Elma but got a feeling Rex will get in before her given he was considered before her.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Given Shantae's demand and popularity. I could see her as a possibility.

Dixie Kong as well. Maybe Edelgard too. Lara Croft would be ideal because she's THE female video game protagonist and big in the 90's. More then a good enough reason to warrant a spot.

Would love me some Elma but got a feeling Rex will get in before her given he was considered before her.
As much as I would want Shantae in, I'd probably lean on Rex more so they could finally say that Spirits and Mii Costumes don't deconfirm characters. II'll give Rex a pass due to my attachment for Xenoblade 2, but where did I lead myself? Back to my old discussion.

I challenge any one of you to name at least a couple of female characters that would bring out the biggest hype. Name at least one female character who can just as hype as Geno or Shantae.

every time I look at other fighting games, I can't help but feel ashamed for Smash. We're the only people who won;t let new girls join the fun!

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
There are several possible female characters to add to the line up.

Velvet Crowe
Arle Nadja
Reimu Hakurei
Jill Valentine
2B
Lara Croft
Nakoruru
Morrigan Aensland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom