• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
idk, the bulk of that discussion seemed to be was that they were the OG main characters and represent Castlevania and didn't have anything to do with console history nor acclaim
People argue that Castlevania III, Super Castlevania 4, and especially Rondo of Blood are the best Castlevania games ever made. They're all in just high of acclaim as Symphony of the Night for many Castlevania fans (some people prefer this style of Castlevania to the Metroid-vania approach that started with Symphony too), and they all star Belmonts (to be fair, Alucard is also playable in III). The whip and the narrative of the Belmont clan fighting Dracula over all of eternity was the basis for everything that happens in Castlevania too, so there's an argument to be made about their relevance and importance to the Castlevania franchise as a whole as well. Specficially on Nintendo consoles, Belmonts and Whips are synonymous with Castlevania to Nintendo fans of the series.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
So, now that weve had 2 western composers do remixes for Smash, Kirkhope and Fox, which western composer would you like to see next? And any songs you'd like them to remix in particular? Mick Gordon (KI3, Doom), Marty O Donell (Halo) and Pascal Micheal (Hat in Time) come to mind for me.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
So, now that weve had 2 western composers do remixes for Smash, Kirkhope and Fox, which western composer would you like to see next? And any songs you'd like them to remix in particular? Mick Gordon (KI3, Doom), Marty O Donell (Halo) and Pascal Micheal (Hat in Time) come to mind for me.
Casey Edwards of BANG BANG BANG, PULL MY DEVIL TRIGGER fame.

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Martin O'Donnell halo has amazing music and i'd love to hear his grand scores in smash

KatKit

Smash Lord
So, now that weve had 2 western composers do remixes for Smash, Kirkhope and Fox, which western composer would you like to see next? And any songs you'd like them to remix in particular?
Tim and Geoff Follin, the guys who composed This for the NES. They made fantastic music for games that were usually mediocre.

More importantly, there's a talented man named Stello Dousiss who pushed the Gameboy to its absolute limit for a game that didn't deserve his genius. How does something like this end up in a game like this:

Last edited:

Sysreq

Smash Ace
Tim and Geoff Follin, the guys who composed This for the NES. They made fantastic music for games that were usually mediocre.

More importantly, there's a talented man named Stello Dousiss who pushed the Gameboy to its absolute limit for a game that didn't deserve his genius. How does something like this end up in a game like this:

Goddamn, that's crazy.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
While I do somewhat agree that the main protagonist of a game series has a very good chance of getting into Smash. I hate rule five because it implies that obscure 3rd party characters like Dr. Yuichiro Tomari from Ordyne or Mao Mao from Aero Fighters are worthless characters only because they're not well known and it would be a silly idea to permenentally deconfirm them from Smash Ultimate because they're not 'iconic'.
You are almost correct. It's not a permanent deconfirmation, excessively/incredible/extremely obscure characters, can be undeconfirmed if they become famous later. And well I've already aforementioned that 3rd party characters regardless of how iconic are allowed to be playable. Also, for an obscure 3rd party character to be deconfirmed, they need to be extremely obscure, not just mildly or moderately obscure. For example, Pulseman is relatively obscure, so he isn't deconfirmed.

Goku, Scourge, and Hatsune Miku aren't video game characters so they really aren't very good ideas for Assist Trophy replacements.
But how do you like the rest of them? I think Crono (chrono trigger) replacing Isaac, Lilac (freedom planet) replacing Knuckles, Emerl replacing Bomberman, and especially Papyrus replacing Waluigi are perfect assist trophy replacements.

Here are some more ideas I thought of for assist trophy replacement mods.

Sally (sonic) over Dillon.

Beck (mighty no 9) over Shadow instead of Scourge. (Because Beck can use the double gear system in my fanon.)

Frisk over Prince of Sable.

Sans over Jeff.

Shoma (yugioh) over Rodin.

Do you have any more ideas for assist trophy skins/replacement mods?

Kai somehow thinks the inconveniences Sakurai doesn't want to deal with regarding the licensing of non-video game characters somehow magically go away when the characters are ATs.
These are for my mods, not official concepts. And I already know that 4th party characters, and minor characters (with piranha plant as an exception) are automatically deconfirmed.

I know the stuggles for licensing don't and can't just disappear when relegating Goku, Sally, Miku, and Yu-(insert suffix here) to assist trophies.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
In that case you could argue for Chris since RE seems to be Redfields vs. Wesker/Umbrella. RE1 has Chris, 2 has Claire, 3 goes back to Jill, Code Veronica has Chris and Claire, 4 is the one with Leon, 5 goes back to Chris, 6 has Chris and Leon, and 7 also has Chris I think.
But that's really not the point of the series. There's not really a family thing pitting the Redfields against Umbrella, and it means ignoring like half of the series. Castlevania is the Belmonts against Dracula; that's their curse. With RE it's more survivors vs Umbrella - whether they're Redfields or not is incidental.

Looking at it from another angle: even the Castlevania games that don't feature Belmonts as protagonists have a Belmont or the clan as a big part, because it's that important to the lore. With RE, you have games in which Chris and Claire aren't involved at all. 0, 4 and 7 come to mind, plus many of the non-numbered titles.
How likely do y'all think Professor Layton of Level-5 is for DLC? I feel like he's kind of slept on, but that's pretty understandable seeing as there are so many possible characters these days.
I honestly think he's one of the likeliest. I don't see the last pick being one of the expected picks and Layton fits that bill.

D

Deleted member

You are almost correct. It's not a permanent deconfirmation, excessively/incredible/extremely obscure characters, can be undeconfirmed if they become famous later. And well I've already aforementioned that 3rd party characters regardless of how iconic are allowed to be playable. Also, for an obscure 3rd party character to be deconfirmed, they need to be extremely obscure, not just mildly or moderately obscure. For example, Pulseman is relatively obscure, so he isn't deconfirmed.

But how do you like the rest of them? I think Crono (chrono trigger) replacing Isaac, Lilac (freedom planet) replacing Knuckles, Emerl replacing Bomberman, and especially Papyrus replacing Waluigi are perfect assist trophy replacements. Do you have any more ideas for assist trophy skins/replacement mods?
How does Crono, Lilac, Emerl and Papyrus replace those chraracters as AT? They don't even have the same abilities, that's some weird suggestion. Also you talking about Brawl modding or ultimate?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So given after Terry Bogard we don't know who DLC fighter 5 could be. Who do you guys think he/she could be.

Because for all we know at this point Sakurai could do the seemingly impossible again and be Kratos of all characters.

An Sony rep would break the internet as we know it.

D

Deleted member

So given after Terry Bogard we don't know who DLC fighter 5 could be. Who do you guys think he/she could be.

Because for all we know at this point Sakurai could do the seemingly impossible again and be Kratos of all characters.

An Sony rep would break the internet as we know it.
It's going to be a video game character, trust me, my dad works at Nintendo.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
How does Crono, Lilac, Emerl and Papyrus replace those chraracters as AT? They don't even have the same abilities, that's some weird suggestion. Also you talking about Brawl modding or ultimate?
They just replace the model, not abilties nor behavior or mechanics, and I'm talking about Ultimate modding. Same goes with Goku replacing Akira and Miku replacing Lyndis.

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
Goddamn, that's crazy.
It is. Like... certainly everyone here remembers the acclaimed NES puzzle game Solstice. No? Of course not. Well, this is the title theme (it gets ridiculous after 8 seconds in).

Tim was ahead of his time.

And Happy Hippo's OST should have been used for a different game entirely lol.

Guys who made music like that back then deserve to be in Smash instead of fading into obscurity.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

They just replace the model, not abilties nor behavior or mechanics, and I'm talking about Ultimate modding. Same goes with Goku replacing Akira and Miku replacing Lyndis.
But.. why would you do that? It's seems like a lot of work for a model swap that probably looks worse than the original.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
But.. why would you do that? It's seems like a lot of work for a model swap that probably looks worse than the original.
It's not alot of work as you think. For me to make these assist trophy skin/replacement mods work, I just need to edit the respective models to fit the bone skeleton of the assist trophy. And make minor adjustments.

Also, the reason why I'm doing Papyrus over Waluigi, Beck (mighty no 9) over Shadow, Lilac (freedom planet) over Knuckles, Emerl over Bomberman, and Crono over Isaac. Is because I'm trying to make mods to make Waluigi, Shadow, Knuckles, Bomberman, and Isaac never be assist trophies ever again. While Goku over Akira, Miku over Lyndis, Sally (sonic) over Dillon, Shoma (yugioh) over Rodin, Frisk over Sable Prince, and Sans over Jeff are mods to make my Goku, Miku, Sally, Shoma, Frisk and Sans assist trophies because I want them to be assist trophies and not playable characters.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
What do people think the chances of an ArcSys rep are after terry? I highly doubt it will be the last character but for the future dlc whether it be Ragna or Soul I suppose it’s fair game
I think Kunio has a chance.

Ryu Hayabusa.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
It's not alot of work as you think. For me to make these assist trophy skin/replacement mods work, I just need to edit the respective models to fit the bone skeleton of the assist trophy. And make minor adjustments.
Pretty sure you'd have to make a lot of the models yourself. For example, I don't think there's a publicly available 3D model of Crono anywhere.

EDIT: This is of course assuming that making slight modifications to the assist trophy models is easy. And that you could code new behaviors for these characters.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Not sure who owns them these days but Bimmy Billy and Jimmy from Double Dragon would be awesome reps for the world of side scrollers.

Nquoid

Smash Ace
Also, the reason why I'm doing Papyrus over Waluigi, Beck (mighty no 9) over Shadow, Lilac (freedom planet) over Knuckles, Emerl over Bomberman, and Crono over Isaac. Is because I'm trying to make mods to make Waluigi, Shadow, Knuckles, Bomberman, and Isaac never be assist trophies ever again.
Because you want them to be playable?

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
What do people think the chances of an ArcSys rep are after terry? I highly doubt it will be the last character but for the future dlc whether it be Ragna or Soul I suppose it’s fair game
Nintendo loves going for the big names (Terry being probably the most obvious example of it), so Sol would be the de facto pic from Arc Sys.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Though for a wild card side scrolling Beatem up rep, Castle Crashers just came to the Switch.

Not sure what they'd be called though. Castle Crasher?

D

Deleted member

It's gonna be Sol, he's the main character of Guilty Gear and there's a new game coming out next year that might be a Switch title. Then again most people who play Smash wouldn't be able to handle his inputs.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Pretty sure you'd have to make a lot of the models yourself. For example, I don't think there's a publicly available 3D model of Crono anywhere.

EDIT: This is of course assuming that making slight modifications to the assist trophy models is easy. And that you could code new behaviors for these characters.
I've already found models of some of those characters to edit for my assist trophy skins/replacement mods. They are from Smash 4 mods. Also, I'm not coding new behaviors for assist trophies, only replacing models.

I still need to make models for Sally (sonic) over Dillon, Frisk over Sable Prince, Crono over Isaac, and Shoma (Yugioh) over Rodin.

Because you want them to be playable?
Correct! These assist trophy replacement mods are meant to be used with my playable Waluigi, Bomberman, Knuckles, Shadow, Isaac mods. To prevent two of each respective character from appearing onscreen.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I've already found models of some of those characters to edit for my assist trophy skins/replacement mods. They are from Smash 4 mods.

I still need to make models for Sally (sonic) over Dillon, Frisk over Sable Prince, and Crono over Isaac.

Correct! These assist trophy replacement mods are meant to be used with my playable Waluigi, Bomberman, Knuckles, Shadow, Isaac mods. To prevent two of each respective character from appearing onscreen.
The more I look at those models, the more I appreciate the alt costumes that the PMDT made for Project M.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Huh, all this time I thought Noel was the central character of BlazBlue from how much she appeared.

I guess the "Ryu" of a game isn't always the most marketable.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
They are but I've seen people struggle with the Ryu/ken inputs in smash.
It still wouldn't cause much trouble since we have two characters with inputs and Terry's preview suggest he also has them. Sol's moves are just as basic as those. It's not like he has anything like charge attacks or pretzel commands.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
They are but I've seen people struggle with the Ryu/ken inputs in smash.
None of them are Dragon Punches so I think they'll be fine.

People start having troubles when a characters move list spans two pages and certain moves require like, twelve inputs to pull off. These are just quarter circles and a half circle (assuming they're not making you do special inputs for supers).

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Wants for dlc (if there is a second character pass)

Pass 1

5. Crash Bandicoot

Pass 2

1. Master Chief
2. Sora
3. Spyro
4. Paper Mario
5. Saki

Predictions

5. Dante

Pass 2

1. Sora
2. Ryu Hayabusa
3. Crash
4. Lloyd
5. Doom Guy

Geno will get the Sans treatment

(Theoretical Pass 3 Predictions)

1. Leon Kennedy
2. Heihachi
3. Steve
4. Tracer
5. Waluigi

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
Huh, all this time I thought Noel was the central character of BlazBlue from how much she appeared.

I guess the "Ryu" of a game isn't always the most marketable.
If this is a joke, especially because you used the word 'central', then kudos. As of Blazblue Centralfiction, Ragna doesn't exist in canon. We can (arguably) call Noel the main character (but the series is by all means centered around Ragna).

If you aren't joking, then kudos on ArcSys for giving someone that impression I guess.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
David Wise, no doubt.

D

Deleted member

None of them are Dragon Punches so I think they'll be fine.

People start having troubles when a characters move list spans two pages and certain moves require like, twelve inputs to pull off. These are just quarter circles and a half circle (assuming they're not making you do special inputs for supers).
Sol has a DP too and same input. The cool thing you can do is after doing the move you can followup with a kick that sends them straight down. Also during Dragon Install (super move/form) the move changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom