• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
There is no Blizzard fighter on the way.
Blizzard commented, it would not be up to them.

Would there be a Blizzard DLC on the way, Blizzard would not say anything.
Grant Kirkhope also explicitly shot down Banjo's chances of being in Smash only for him to be the first American composer in the game.

At this point anything goes.
I ****ing love Granblue Fantasy and would lose my **** if Katalina got revealed for inclusion to Smash or if Granblue Fantasy got a rep at all. Also Granblue Fantasy Versus looks amazing too, I wish I still had a PS4 so I could play it.
inb4 Katalina is in and Hitagi was right.

Luigi The President Luigi The President dies on the spot.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
If we get more echo fighters I could see them adding Gooigi.
I hope they just have Googi as a palette for next Smash honestly/update the game to have additional palettes like Little Mac in Sm4sh.

There's tons of Mario characters with fan demand waiting in the wings including the more popular King Boo for Luigi's Mansion. Geno and Waluigi are big fan demands who have waited forever and then there's the likes of Paper Mario and Captain Toad/Toad and Toadette.

An echo for Googi doesn't really even take advantage of Googi's best feature: being a mallable bunch of goop. At that point might as well be an alt.

KatKit

Smash Lord
I ****ing love Granblue Fantasy and would lose my **** if Katalina got revealed for inclusion to Smash or if Granblue Fantasy got a rep at all. Also Granblue Fantasy Versus looks amazing too, I wish I still had a PS4 so I could play it.
It looks like a series that deserves love, and it'd undoubtedly bring an interesting looking character with awesome attacks. I like what songs I've listened to as well.

It does look amazing! They even added a sidescrolling mode with RPG elements. Something like that in a game made by ArcSys? Sold. It sucks you don't have a PS4 anymore; Granblue Fantasy: Relink looks fun, too. Here's hoping for a Switch port.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
As someone that wants 2B from Nier: Automata, Tracer from Overwatch, Siegfried/Knightmare from Soul Calibur, Yuri and Estelle the Tales of Vesperia/Luke/Tear from Tales of Abyss in really bad. Hayabusa and Shantae should definitely get in. If not as Fighter #5 then in as a later DLC.
WOW I've never seen anyone want Luke as a Tales of rep Respect. all I mostly hear is Lloyd Yuri or Velvet

Pinguino21v

Smash Ace
I think that's one of the reasons Robin caught us all of guard in the Smash 4 hype cycle.
In hindsight it does make sense; Robin has his own personality and feels more like a normal character than an avatar.
That feels weird, in my opinion, that people expected Chrom instead of Robin. It seems I was the weird one wanting and expecting Robin to get in, thanks to Awakening success and original moveset.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Jeez, all this talk about the Awakening characters in Smash 4 reminds me of the common perception before Marth was announced. Like how people though that both Marth and Ike were fair game for being replaced, and how the most likely scenario was that Chrom would replace Ike. And then, when Ike got announced, people thought that we'd get Chrom, and that that'd be it.

Things sure have changed for Fire Emblem in Smash, huh?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
The subtitles portray her as a starry eyed adventurer, but in game she looks more like a seductress. Normally I like bow users just because of their weapon choice, but her character archetype tends to make me uncomfortable so I think I'll pass (even if I had the game).

Very uniquely animated though. I like how she floats everywhere nonchalantly. It reminds me of Hilda except she's not standing up and sitting down over and over again for some reason.

Jeez, all this talk about the Awakening characters in Smash 4 reminds me of the common perception before Marth was announced. Like how people though that both Marth and Ike were fair game for being replaced, and how the most likely scenario was that Chrom would replace Ike. And then, when Ike got announced, people thought that we'd get Chrom, and that that'd be it.

Things sure have changed for Fire Emblem in Smash, huh?
It astonishes me that anyone thought a character so iconic that almost every platform fighter (that's an original IP) has a character that's basically just the original smash character would be replaced.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
If we were to assume that all characters were compliant with these rules then we know that the minimum requirement for being in Smash is having exactly...

:ultrob: Zero console games!

Or if you think that's cheating then just one. :ultduckhunt::ulticeclimbers::ultlucas::ultness:
Rob, duck hunt ice climbers ness and lucas are 1st party, not 3rd party so the rule of having significant console games doesn't apply to them. And The Angry birds only having 2 console games is still not enough.

Last edited:

RaintheCriminalWhirlwind

Smash Journeyman
It looks like a series that deserves love, and it'd undoubtedly bring an interesting looking character with awesome attacks. I like what songs I've listened to as well.

It does look amazing! They even added a sidescrolling mode with RPG elements. Something like that in a game made by ArcSys? Sold. It sucks you don't have a PS4 anymore; Granblue Fantasy: Relink looks fun, too. Here's hoping for a Switch port.
Granblue looks pretty cool. I woulnd't be opposed to Kat being in Smash. ALSO, Kat from Gravity Rush 2 would be an awesome choice

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
It would be pretty damn surreal to see "Disney" listed under the characters companies.

Characters: © Nintendo / HAL Laboratory, Inc. / Pokémon. / Creatures Inc. / GAME FREAK inc. / SHIGESATO ITOI / APE inc. / INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS / Konami Digital Entertainment / SEGA / CAPCOM CO., LTD. / BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Inc. / MONOLITHSOFT / CAPCOM U.S.A., INC. / SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. / ATLUS / Microsoft / SNK CORPORATION. / Disney

RaintheCriminalWhirlwind

Smash Journeyman
So I finally have my list of what I want to be in Smash.
Sora/2B
Shantae
Kat (Gravity Rush)
Phoenix Wright (With Maya)
Siegfried/Knightmare
Jin/Kazyua Kizama
Yuri (with Estelle)/Luke (With Tear) from Tales of Vesperia and Abyss respectfully
Undyne
Geno
Katalina
Chun-Li/Sakura
Nights (NiGHTS into Dreams)
Ryu Hayabusa
K-Dash/Kula
Out of everyone, I feel Sora and 2B will be in the game but you never know with Sakurai. The man is crazy and will add whoever the hell he wants.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
It would be pretty damn surreal to see "Disney" listed under the characters companies.

Characters: © Nintendo / HAL Laboratory, Inc. / Pokémon. / Creatures Inc. / GAME FREAK inc. / SHIGESATO ITOI / APE inc. / INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS / Konami Digital Entertainment / SEGA / CAPCOM CO., LTD. / BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Inc. / MONOLITHSOFT / CAPCOM U.S.A., INC. / SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. / ATLUS / Microsoft / SNK CORPORATION. / Disney
The internet would break.

Automatically people would know it'd be Sora unless Verge said otherwise saying King Mickey instead.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
*Speculates on what other echoes could bring cool songs*

*Can only come up with Impa and Molduga Battle*
Well one idea is Hilda as an Echo of Zelda bringing her theme and the variants of it as her true intentions are revealed.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Rob, duck hunt ice climbers ness and lucas are 1st party, not 3rd party so the rule of having significant console games doesn't apply to them. And The Angry birds only having 2 console games is still not enough.
There's more than the two I just mentioned (I found one more before giving up), but honestly I don't think it's worth trying to explain why the Angry Birds (a character I don't want or care about) could fit in under your arbitrary rules. My point was that your rules are arbitrary and in some cases meaningless. Anything can happen at this point. I mean, we were discussing the possibility of a Warcraft character appearing without immediately dismissing the idea not too long ago. That's just crazy to me.

perfectchaos83

Smash Champion
People who want AT promotion can't deal with the character not being playable. I got 2 words for you:

MOVE ON
I didn't move on from Ridley, I'm not moving on from my preferred AT promotion. You don't get what you want by being silent. I'd prefer a miracle over waiting six years for the character I want in a Smash game that can, in no way, live up to Ultimate. I'm sure many others are in the same boat.

I agree about letting people want characters but people DO need to stop expecting ATs to be promoted as DLC. ****, that Assist Alliance crap I saw on twitter made me mute something for the first time on that site
The problem is you're treating their want of something as an expectation. They are making it heard they want something to change, not that they are expecting it to change. This has always been a problem in this community as pretty much everyone sees "I want" as "I expect". Stop trying to put words in the fans mouths. I want Ashley to be promoted. I don't expect it, but that sure as **** isn't going to stop me from voicing my support for a same game promotion when it didn't stop me from voicing my support for Ridley in the previous Smash games.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
The internet would break.

Automatically people would know it'd be Sora unless Verge said otherwise saying King Mickey instead.
Imagine the next: we're in november and then, casually and like happened with SNK, the page of Smash DLC at the Nintendo website features the copyright of Disney.
The reactions would be crazy.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Goku, Scourge, and Hatsune Miku aren't video game characters so they really aren't very good ideas for Assist Trophy replacements.
Kai somehow thinks the inconveniences Sakurai doesn't want to deal with regarding the licensing of non-video game characters somehow magically go away when the characters are ATs.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
What do people think the chances of an ArcSys rep are after terry? I highly doubt it will be the last character but for the future dlc whether it be Ragna or Soul I suppose it’s fair game

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
Of course, since there's a rule for 3rd party playable characters that for primary reps, it needs to be the main protagonist. If Alucard was the 1st Castlevania rep instead of Simon, it wouldn't comply with the rules.

Here the rules for 1st party playable characters:

1. Primary/1st rep needs to be the main protagonist.

2. Needs to be a major character. (piranha plant is an exception)

Now here the rules for 3rd party playable characters:

1. Needs to be a videogame character.

2. Needs to have a significant console history.

3. 1st/primary rep needs to be the main protagonist.

4. Needs to be a major character.

5. Character can't be extremely/excessively/incredibly obscure.
While I do somewhat agree that the main protagonist of a game series has a very good chance of getting into Smash. I hate rule five because it implies that obscure 3rd party characters like Dr. Yuichiro Tomari from Ordyne or Mao Mao from Aero Fighters are worthless characters only because they're not well known and it would be a silly idea to permenentally deconfirm them from Smash Ultimate because they're not 'iconic'.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I never played Guilty Gear but certainly and don't know exactly why I see Sol Badguy with decent chances. Not for fighter 5 but for the future. I guess Terry's inclusion changed my mind a little. I see Sol like a crazy and unexpected pick like Joker, he would fit as the 1st character of the next pass. At least from my perspective.

If we get another fighting character which would be totally fine by me I'd imagine it's between Tekken and Guilty Gear. I didn't said Mortal Kombat because honestly, I think it's almost as impossible as Goku, if we have in mind that MK is banned in Japan.

Last edited:

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
I never played Guilty Gear but certainly and don't know exactly why I see Sol Badguy with decent chances. Not for fighter 5 but for the future. I guess Terry's inclusion changed my mind a little. I see Sol like a crazy and unexpected pick like Joker, he would fit as the 1st character of the next pass. At least from my perspective.

If we get another fighting character which would be totally fine by me I'd imagine it's between Tekken and Guilty Gear. I didn't said Mortal Kombat because honestly, I think it's almost as impossible as Goku, if we have in mind that MK is banned in Japan.
Can’t say I disagree with you when it comes to Mortal Kombat. Also if I were to pick an ArcSys rep I’d probably go with Ragna. The protagonist of BlazBlue and it seems ArcSys are pushing that a lot more recently even without the most recent game. Terry proves that when picking reps for a company who are not being picked for their first rep due to a certain character owned by them being overwhelmingly popular they usually go with the mascot. But as ArcSys honestly don’t have an established mascot they’d probably base it off of what one is being pushed more

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
As much as I really want Sora and I ain’t doubting his chances but if Nintendo and Sakurai actually manage to make the Disney content from Kingdom Hearts the one exception to Smash, I really don’t want a bunch of desperately thinking Goku still has when Sakurai has like deconfirmed him 5 times I think.

While I don’t think unpopularity in Japan can necessarily stop a character from getting in as long the West is loudly vocal for them (:ultridley::ultlittlemac:) but I think Mortal Kombat and Spyro are the only franchises outright hurt by this.

Like you said, MK is straight up banned in Japan which makes them a never ever and I doubt even Smash’s magic can change that.

Spyro is hated in Japan due to the poor localization of the first two games with fixed cameras and such, no game in the series until Reignited has released since, I think he could still happen if fans go full Ridley but I doubt it.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Can’t say I disagree with you when it comes to Mortal Kombat. Also if I were to pick an ArcSys rep I’d probably go with Ragna. The protagonist of BlazBlue and it seems ArcSys are pushing that a lot more recently even without the most recent game. Terry proves that when picking reps for a company who are not being picked for their first rep due to a certain character owned by them being overwhelmingly popular they usually go with the mascot. But as ArcSys honestly don’t have an established mascot they’d probably base it off of what one is being pushed more
Maybe I'm wrong because I know little about GG and BlazBlue but I think it would depend on which character Sakurai wants. I mean, if he approaches ArcSys I seriously doubt they would try to convince Sakurai for another character if he wanted to pick Sol.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
Personally I would have prefered Alucard instead of Simon or Richter, but I understand why Sakurai picked the Belmonts. They're the main protagonists of most Castlevania games, so that was natural.
Anyway I think it's a bit curious because I always had the feeling Alucard was at least a bit more popular than any Belmont, mostly because Symphony of the Night, and yet he wasn't playable even if he was initially considered as the Castlevania rep as Sakurai said. In a certain sense I would guessed he would picked Alucard as he did with Cloud, even if Cloud wasn't the best representative of the Final Fantasy games published on Nintendo consoles. This last criteria fits more with Simon and Richter, for example.
So this is actually kind of interesting to me. Back two pages ago, why was it agreed that the Belmonts made sense over Alucard, but when Resident Evil is discussed, a lot of people think Leon makes the most sense over Chris or Jill? It seems like a very similar scenario to me.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So question about the additional DLC, who would you want to select the characters this time?

Sakurai & the dev team or Nintendo’s higher-ups again?
Whichever option is more likely to give me Edelgard. :V
idk ask those guys who tried to show Nintendo their versions of Link and Samus for their Marvel superhero game...for PS2...BEFORE getting their approval for it.

Though the PS2 bit is definitely damning, I don't think Nintendo likes it when people try to pull this even if their game would be on a Nintendo system. The only exception to this I can think of is Smash 64.
Also illegal too, since you're making unauthorized modifications to Nintendo's code. You'd get treated the same was as the Homebrew scene and promptly taken to court.
The conversation has mostly moved on from this, but this scenario is absolutely not illegal or damning. In fact, it's a fairly common practice. It's called a proof of concept. You can work on stuff before obtaining the rights and show off an unfinished build to try to convince the rights holders and, so long as you get permission before it's shipped, there's nothing legally wrong with that. The risk only comes from the possibility of them saying no, meaning you've wasted all that time and all those resources.

In addition to Smash 64, similar things were done with Mario + Rabbids, as well as the Star Fox portions of StarLink. Ubisoft started work on those before obtaining the rights to show off a proof of concept.

There's risk involved, but it's monetary risk, not legal risk.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Even if Sakurai really did want to add Goku and other non-game characters (which he doesn’t), how expensive do you think they’ll even be?

Plus, it’d be a licensing nightmare.

Nquoid

Smash Ace
So this is actually kind of interesting to me. Back two pages ago, why was it agreed that the Belmonts made sense over Alucard, but when Resident Evil is discussed, a lot of people think Leon makes the most sense over Chris or Jill? It seems like a very similar scenario to me.
A big part of that is Castlevania starting on the NES with Simon. Castlevania III is arguably the better game which stars Trevor Belmont but Sakurai went with Richter instead, probably because his game is a fan favourite and the connection to SOTN.

In regards to Resident Evil, Resident Evil 2 was the first game on a Nintendo system, and Resids
Rnt Evil 4 is still one of the most acclaimed games of all time. If Resident Evil 1 had been on the N64 before the Gamecube remake, I'm sure we'd see a lot more support for Chris/Jill instead of Leon.

Last edited:

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
Maybe I'm wrong because I know little about GG and BlazBlue but I think it would depend on which character Sakurai wants. I mean, if he approaches ArcSys I seriously doubt they would try to convince Sakurai for another character if he wanted to pick Sol.
I dunno. I suppose that depends if he wanted to pick sol. It also depends on whether Nintendo is still picking the dlc. If they are it’s almost certainly going to be Ragna because he is in a similar boat to terry minus being close to an official mascot. If it’s sakurai it may be personal preference or fan votes which I can’t imagine there would be that many of for any ArcSys character

Sysreq

Smash Ace
A big part of that is Castlevania starting on the NES with Simon. Castlevania III is arguably the better game which stars Trevor Belmont but Sakurai went with Richter instead, probably because his game is a fan favourite and the connection to SOTN.

In regards to Resident Evil, Resident Evil 2 was the first game on a Nintendo system, and Resids
Rnt Evil 4 is still one of the most acclaimed games of all time. If Resident Evil 1 had been on the N64 before the Gamecube remake, I'm sure we'd see a lot more support for Chris/Jill instead of Leon.
idk, the bulk of that discussion seemed to be was that they were the OG main characters and represent Castlevania and didn't have anything to do with console history nor acclaim

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I don't think it's really similar situations.

Both Castlevania I and II star Simon. He's the poster boy of the franchise and for that brief period, Castlevania was the story of Simon Belmont. With III the focus shifted to Trevor, but returned to Simon for IV. Then Rondo of Blood stars Richter Belmont, and at this point one thing is clear: Castlevania isn't the story of Simon Belmont, but rather of the Belmont clan.

Now Alucard, he was a side character in III before getting promoted to playable in SotN, and that game's popularity combined with Igarashi's influence on the series from them onwards made him a staple of the series. However, the thread that runs throughout the series remains Belmonts vs. Dracula. Many of the protagonists after SotN are Belmonts; Alucard is never playable beyond those two games. If you want to have a representative for the series, then a Belmont does the job better than Alucard, and no Belmont would go before Simon.

Resident Evil, however, is a different beast. Yes, Chris and Jill are the protagonists of RE1, but RE2 immediately changed protagonists so there's no confusion that the series is about any one character. Rather, it's about the fight against Umbrella. Leon, Jill, and Chris can each represent that just right, so they have to be judged by their own individual pros and cons. Jury's out on who has the best shot, but imo it's Leon.

Sysreq

Smash Ace
I don't think it's really similar situations.

Both Castlevania I and II star Simon. He's the poster boy of the franchise and for that brief period, Castlevania was the story of Simon Belmont. With III the focus shifted to Trevor, but returned to Simon for IV. Then Rondo of Blood stars Richter Belmont, and at this point one thing is clear: Castlevania isn't the story of Simon Belmont, but rather of the Belmont clan.

Now Alucard, he was a side character in III before getting promoted to playable in SotN, and that game's popularity combined with Igarashi's influence on the series from them onwards made him a staple of the series. However, the thread that runs throughout the series remains Belmonts vs. Dracula. Many of the protagonists after SotN are Belmonts; Alucard is never playable beyond those two games. If you want to have a representative for the series, then a Belmont does the job better than Alucard, and no Belmont would go before Simon.

Resident Evil, however, is a different beast. Yes, Chris and Jill are the protagonists of RE1, but RE2 immediately changed protagonists so there's no confusion that the series is about any one character. Rather, it's about the fight against Umbrella. Leon, Jill, and Chris can each represent that just right, so they have to be judged by their own individual pros and cons. Jury's out on who has the best shot, but imo it's Leon.
In that case you could argue for Chris since RE seems to be Redfields vs. Wesker/Umbrella. RE1 has Chris, 2 has Claire, 3 goes back to Jill, Code Veronica has Chris and Claire, 4 is the one with Leon, 5 goes back to Chris, 6 has Chris and Leon, and 7 also has Chris I think.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

I think personally, Simon being the first protagonist of the series (as well as being the most requested Castlevania hero) had a lot to do with why he was chosen.

Resident Evil is another series that cycles through protags, Chris is actually one of the most frequent as well as being one the OG protags. Jill Valentine is a lot more recognizable as a character than Chris is. Leon seems to be, while still a popular character in his own right no doubt, a lot more popular with Nintendo fans specifically. I dunno if people remember but when it comes to Final Fantasy character pretty much everybody had their money on Black Mage, and people actually requested him to bring Final Fantasy to Smash. Instead we got Cloud who is without a doubt a much more popular Final Fantasy character.

It is really tough to decide which character out of Chris Redfeild, Jill Sandwich, or Leon Kennedy would be THE Resident Evil character. As all three of them have their own reasons for being the character to represent the series. I feel like Clair would also be be up there as well if it didn't take so long for Capcom to make another game with her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom