• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Disney is the Frieza to Konami's Pilaf.
Gotta love a good old "BUT X IS WAY WORSE THAN Y SO X BAD" argument. Spoiler: It doesn't make Y any better. Y is still bad.

Need I also remind you that Nintendo actively worked with a homophobic Japanese war-crime denier for this game? His name's Koichi Sugimiya and his music is 8/8 of the Dragon Quest tracks in this game. Nintendo still worked with him for DQ's music, either because they can separate art from artist for the sake of business, or they don't care too much about their morale image for the sake of business (as in they'll get more positive press for DQ's inclusion than negative press for working with Sugimyia).

You can't be this selective with your moral stances.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Smash Bros isn't a soap-box for people to express their dissatisfaction with corporate entities.

It's a crossover fighting-game.
It lives and dies by what characters people like, not how benevolent or malevolent the companies that made them are.

Besides Lingering Will and Roxas are both way cooler than Sora anyways, but I'm never going to see them in a fighting game so I'll take what I can get.

D

Deleted member

Disney is the Frieza to Konami's Pilaf.
So that means Disney is powerful and popular but evil? Not kidding ourselves, I would say again that MS is worse gaming wise and is already involved in Smash. I feel that this attribute of Disney being evil is just like someone mentioned before, just ridiculous ways to say they don't want Sora.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
the idea of a bloody mii costume being the biggest announcement in ultimate's lifecycle is just...sad. all these legendary characters in one game and the meme skeleton is what really set off waves?
Welcome to the internet. But yeah, for better or for worse, it's definitely one of those eye opening things (or not).

Personally the Undertale fandom/memes do keep my interest in the game itself low but more outside representation is always cool as is more bang for your buck. So far the only costumes I've purchased are Sans & Inkling, both games I have not played nor have interest in, but hey more collectables.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
So that means Disney is powerful and popular but evil? Not kidding ourselves, I would say again that MS is worse gaming wise and is already involved in Smash. I feel that this attribute of Disney being evil is just like someone mentioned before, just ridiculous ways to say they don't want Sora.
I think the point is more that if it is hard negotiating with Konami, they are like child's play compared with Disney, which I think can be a fair point Disney can't even hash things out with Sony without drama.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Honestly I'd vouch for Dunban as a Shulk echo. Could be released to promote the HD remaster of Xenoblade Chronicles.
That really wouldn't work that well. It's very much an explicit point in Xenoblade that Dunban can barely use any powers of the Monado, and that its use heavily cripples him. I'd love to see him playable somehow, but his one-armed "main game" state would be much better.
Also, for Shulk there's better options in the form of
Zanza and Alvis. Zanza would obviously be a huge spoiler and require some different animations like Dark Samus. Alvis would obviously be also a spoiler, but the point where he effortlessly wields the Monado is before what seems to be the spoiler "cutoff point" for Sakurai, considering that Mechon Fiora appears.
And of course, beyond characters from the original, Malos could also work as an echo. He'd also be a simple villain to add to the game, akin to Dark Samus.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Nintendo and Disney have worked together many times before: from the Magical World games published by Nintendo, to the Art Academy crossover, to the 3DS themes and Disney-themed Switch to their presumable involvement in Ultimate Alliance. Sora isn't Mickey or Elsa or some other character Disney keeps under heaviest lock and key, they delegate this guy to his creators at SE and almost never use him otherwise.

Were they open to discussions of him in Smash, I don't see them making Nintendo bend over backwards for a character like Sora. I don't think Disney sees him as the monumental bargaining chip he's being portrayed as. They may ask for a lot of money, they may be particular about how the character is represented, but there is an active working relationship between the two already, and I imagine they would see this deal simply as an extension of the ongoing business between the two companies.

I know people bring up, "well, what would they get out of it, then?", as they did for Banjo... but the answer is pretty much the same. Probably a **** ton of money, and definitely a bunch of brand awareness.

Phil Spencer acknowledging the demand for Banjo-Kazooie in Smash most likely helped. Maybe have Bob Iger himself acknowledge the demand for Sora?
You do know that Phil Spencer isn't the CEO of Microsoft, right? Not exactly parallels. I doubt Bob Iger can even name Sora.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I think the point is more that if it is hard negotiating with Konami, they are like child's play compared with Disney, which I think can be a fair point Disney can't even hash things out with Sony without drama.
In the current context, the talk was about the companies being bad not regarding negotiations. If Disney is considered bad, in all honesty you could say that pretty much every company involved in the game has skeletons in their closet.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
My stance on Sora is simple, I don't see it happening until Disney wants something substantial from Nintendo. If Nintendo is the one wanting something from Disney, then Disney holds the power in those negotiations. The absolute best position you can be in is to have Disney want something from you, because they will get it so long as the other party is willing to negotiate.
It may be a mutual conversation. I can’t say that Disney has all if any leverage in this situation. What I feel like people fail to understand is that despite how big you may be as a company, chances are you lose leverage in the fields that you have little to no stake in. I’m this case, Disney and the Video game industry.

Super Smash Bros is a tremendously successful and popular series compared to most games. There are benefits to both parties on the table. This opportunity to have one of your characters cameo in a title of this caliber really can’t be offered by anyone else. Even if Sora were to cameo in another series like Dissidia or Soul Caliber, his appearance wouldn’t have the same impact considering those series being more niche than Smash.

Disney loses leverage here, because the game industry isn’t an area that they hold a big stake in. They also lose leverage in the simple fact that there are plenty of other candidates for any future roster.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Did you played Birth by Sleep or...?
Oh I did. I like Roxas and co well enough but none of them are really stand-outs.

Kingdom Hearts doesn't sell for the original characters, I can say that with confidence, it sells for the same reason that Smash does. The novelty of your favorite characters and worlds of a specific brand being explored in a single product.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I was wondering when someone would bring that up. Time to deal with this false equivalence once and for all.

Negotiations with Sony =/= Negotiations with Nintendo

I guess you could say both are similar in that they're negotiations for a character to appear in the largest crossover (both cinematic and gaming) in history, but:
  • One is with a direct competitor, and the other is with a business partner. The other side of the table is important to note here.
    • Sony and Disney hate each other, and therefore negotiations between the two will be hostile. Nintendo and Disney have worked together many times in the past, and therefore negotiations will go smoother than with Sony.
  • They also differ in industry, as movies are a much larger part of Disney's overall revenue structure than video games, which Disney is largely staying out of, instead focusing on licensing their properties to existing game studios.
  • Scale should be mentioned as well, as the MCU is huge for Disney, whereas Smash Bros. would be a relatively smaller, low-stakes affair.
    • Disney has something to lose if they don't bring Spiderman back to the MCU (but they'll still make buku bucks anyway and **** over Sony until they come running back), but they can only gain from including Sora in Smash.
While one might be indicative of the other, I doubt it signifies anything more than how difficult Disney can be to negotiate with to the highest degree. Negotiations for Sora with Nintendo, while still difficult, would very likely be much easier.
Oh I did. I like Roxas and co well enough but none of them are really stand-outs.

Kingdom Hearts doesn't sell for the original characters, I can say that with confidence, it sells for the same reason that Smash does. The novelty of your favorite characters and worlds of a specific brand being explored in a single product.
Doubt.jpg

I know a lot of people bought KH3 to see the Xehanort saga (the original story) come to an end, and I know a lot of people who've stayed for Normura's Wild Ride too. The mass hype that built up as a result of these two is partly what contributed to KH3's massive success.

It seems like what you're saying largely comes down to a matter of opinion, because it can be argued that the characters in the series are strong, and while the overall writing is erratic, that's part of the charm of Kingdom Hearts, and is the reason why people play it.

Last edited:

TriggerX

Smash Ace

I’d have to agree with this. The story is kind of messed up and seems to be made up as each title is produced.
However you bring up a good point as to why I believe Sora is likely.

He could potentially bring in a large audience of people to increase sales.
Disney is a world wide phenomenon. If that translates into KH at all, then Sora is the perfect character to increase the pool of players that will become interested in the other series that are represented in smash.

Although I do expect quite a bit of overlap with Disney/ Nintendo fans.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I'm still confused as to why people keep acting like Nintendo and Disney don't already have a pretty close working relationship. Allow me to present Exhibits A-D:

Epic Mickey had the distinct honor of being a Wii exclusive that re-introduced Oswald back into the world:

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 somehow ended up as a Nintendo Switch exclusive despite how absolutely huge the Marvel movies are right now and how much it would seem like just a good idea to release it on all possible systems:

A Nintendo produced game with Disney IPs as reference for art was released as a 3DS exclusive

A Disney Tsum Tsum Festival themed Switch is in production and Disney Tsum Tsum Festival is an exclusive to the Switch right now as far as has been announced (Also, you literally have Mickey Mouse and friends physically imprinted onto a Switch, you don't get much bigger of a partnership than that).

Those are just four major examples of Disney on Nintendo consoles in kind of massive ways when you think about it that shows the companies working excellently together. Disney may be expensive to license Sora from or strict about his inclusion, but this sort of stuff proves them to be a company willing to work with Nintendo on kind of big projects and ideas. And I mean, even more direct to Sora, 4 Kingdom Hearts games (and they're all mainline canon titles by the way) have debuted as exclusive Nintendo titles.

Disney isn't some great beast of evil to be feared and they aren't impossible for Nintendo to work with, so there's no reason to push this idea Sora can't get in because of the Disney factor.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
However people find their way to KH is beside the point to the fact that Sora has wound up a generally popular character in gaming. If he hadn't, we probably wouldn't be here.

And the supporting cast, frankly, doesn't really matter that much at this point. Maybe if this was base, but we're not getting an ATs, we're not getting any bosses. I don't think there are going to be a lot of people going "this isn't proper Kingdom Hearts!" just because Donald Duck isn't a Mii costume. It'd still get more content than Final Fantasy anyway.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
View attachment 238764

I know a lot of people bought KH3 to see the Xehanort saga (the original story) come to an end, and I know a lot of people who've stayed for Normura's Wild Ride too.

It seems like what you're saying largely comes down to a matter of opinion, because it can be argued that the characters in the series are strong, and while the overall writing is erratic, that's part of the charm of Kingdom Hearts, and is the reason why people play it.
No I'm actually talking from experience. Everyone I've ever talked to about the game has sited Frozen, Toy Story, etc. for their reason for wanting the game.

If my personal experience doesn't do it for you, you can simply look at numbers. The original Kingdom Hearts life time sales kick out around 7 million, Kingdom Hearts II's sales kick out around 5 million, and Kingdom Hearts 3; which is undoubtedly the best selling game in the franchise, kicked out it's first WEEK at 5 million units. Meaning that anything past that point had a near 100% probability of being players brand new to the franchise.

I respect your dedication to Sora, and admire your admiration for the series, but just remember that the hardcore fanbase will almost always be the minority, vocal or not. Doesn't have to be 100% accurate but a lot of Kingdom Hearts 3's sales came from the casual, "I want to explore some Disney Worlds!", audience.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
No I'm actually talking from experience. Everyone I've ever talked to about the game has sited Frozen, Toy Story, etc. for their reason for wanting the game.

If my personal experience doesn't do it for you, you can simply look at numbers. The original Kingdom Hearts life time sales kick out around 7 million, Kingdom Hearts II's sales kick out around 5 million, and Kingdom Hearts 3; which is undoubtedly the best selling game in the franchise, kicked out it's first WEEK at 5 million units. Meaning that anything past that point had a near 100% probability of being players brand new to the franchise.

I respect your dedication to Sora, and admire your admiration for the series, but just remember that the hardcore fanbase will almost always be the minority, vocal or not. Doesn't have to be 100% accurate but a lot of Kingdom Hearts 3's sales came from the casual, "I want to explore some Disney Worlds!", audience.
This seems overly reductive of Kingdom Hearts as a notable gaming franchise though. The series itself has gained a relatively major reputation over the years as a video game and not necessarily a crossover. People want to know what that’s all about and experience it as a game. In my own anecdotal experience, I’ve seen a great deal of people say they tried Kingdom Hearts because of its overall reputation and not because of those Disney worlds. Hell, at one point earlier this year, I couldn’t find any copies of The Story So Far on PS4 because it was sold out everywhere within 50 miles of my location in North Carolina (around the Charlotte area mind you, so a very populated area, and this was through checking GameStop and other retailers prior to KH3’s release) and the one copy I had found had over 10 people on a waiting list for it.

People don’t flock to an entire complication of games like that unless they’re also seriously interested in the game itself, which includes all the OCs and the rest of the universe. If you just wanted to play Disney, you’d just buy 3 and move on with things, not the entire game saga. Furthermore, Kingdom Hearts 3 was a massive gamer desire for years and had massive showings at multiple E3 events, and that again speaks to the game’s reputation as a franchise beyond the Disney crossovers. The Disney crossovers may be the bait for the series, but there’s a pretty clear interest in the game and it’s OC world on its own merits as well.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Regardless of whether Kingdom Hearts sells because of Disney, Square Enix or its original properties, it's obvious Sora himself would be enough for most of the fans. You play as him. Even if you aren't a fan of him, he still appeals to the people who played the games.

Non-playable characters are mostly a bonus. I don't think not many people would refrain from purchasing him as Smash DLC just because he doesn't come with Riku or Goofy/Donald.

ze9

Smash Ace
Good thing I also said that I don't want Sora because his design is atrocious and I'm sick and tired of swordsmen/long-legged weirdos.
My stance towards Disney still stands.

Also, you can't really compare Konami or Sugiyama to Disney. Sugiyama is an individual person, and as such he's entitled to his opinions, no matter how ****ty they are. It's not like his music contains propaganda.
Konami is a ****ty company in a sea of ****ty companies.
Disney is monopolistic, and has the power to back its ambitions. That's where I personally draw the line. I don't want their filthy hands nowhere near Smash, which is something very close to my heart. If you draw the line somewhere else, well... Good for you. You're probably not going to change my opinion. Certainly not with the arguments I've seen up until now.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
While I think that was true of the original game, I think that, as the series continued, the people who continued to be into the series are the people that cared about the OCs and their original storyline more than the "time to do a beat-by-beat redo of a Disney movie in a section that has nothing to do with the overall story" parts of the game.

Mind you, I think those people are crazy because Nomura is a terrible writer and everything he's made after FF7 has been complete nonsense. But that's beside the point.

Last edited:

KatKit

Smash Lord
We're popping the BIGGEST bottles when Ruby Heart returns and brings the MvC2 character select screen music with her!!

That's a great list, and it isn't even (outside of Zero) getting into the other potential great Mega Man reps that would be cool to have in like Roll, Tron Bonne, Geo/Omega-XIS, Bass.EXE...

People may say "you want too many Capcom characters!" but man, maybe Capcom should stop making so many awesome franchises then!
Crazily enough, I mentioned Ruby Heart last year in a Capcom rep thread. It's never going to happen in Smash, but Ruby Heart and Yellow Iris (from Battle Circuit) need to be in some Capcom Vs. game together at the very least.

How can they create a French speaking, anchor/whip wielding, ghost-throwing pirate captain (who casually managed to assemble a team of some of Marvel and Capcom's best) that uses magical artifacts and pilots a giant flying ship just for one fighting game? Or a Latina bounty hunter who's also a model, that's somehow part cat (because downloadable superpowers from a floppy disk), who also uses a whip and fights alongside her pet fox that can burst into flames.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Good thing I also said that I don't want Sora because his design is atrocious and I'm sick and tired of swordsmen/long-legged weirdos.
My stance towards Disney still stands.

Also, you can't really compare Konami or Sugiyama to Disney. Sugiyama is an individual person, and as such he's entitled to his opinions, no matter how ****ty they are. It's not like his music contains propaganda.
Konami is a ****ty company in a sea of ****ty companies.
Disney is monopolistic, and has the power to back its ambitions. That's where I personally draw the line. I don't want their filthy hands nowhere near Smash, which is something very close to my heart. If you draw the line somewhere else, well... Good for you. You're probably not going to change my opinion. Certainly not with the arguments I've seen up until now.
Your priorities are pretty ****ed up if 'company makes too much money' is worse than 'dude supports war crimes'. If you can separate art from the artist, then you can certainly separate art from the company that funds the artist.

It's fine, you don't like KH and you're entitled to have that opinion, but don't kid yourself and pretend there's something else going on.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Konami cancels all its series and gives the fans nothing, while Disney milks all its series and inundates the fans with enough to give them series fatigue.

I'd rather have the latter. You can select a few of many, but you can't make something out of nothing.

And as for SE, I'm not going to hold one old man's old man opinions against the entire company.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Your priorities are pretty ****ed up if 'company makes too much money' is worse than 'dude supports war crimes'. If you can separate art from the artist, then you can certainly separate art from the company that funds the artist.

It's fine, you don't like KH and you're entitled to have that opinion, but don't kid yourself and pretend there's something else going on.
To be fair Sugiyama's gonna croak in a few years or so and the person speculated to inherit the music rights isn't just a decent person but he also thinks Sugiyama's stingyness with music is ****ed so I can see why that's considered the lesser of the two evils

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
So here's a question for yall

Are there any characters you want in Smash that's from a game you don't like or necessarily enjoy?
Crash Bandicoot is far from my favourite platformer but I think he's more than justified as an inclusion. I'm a far bigger fan of Spyro so maybe that is my ulterior motive for wanting the more popular Crash in first.

Lara Croft too. She's a gaming icon but I don't really enjoy Tomb Raider myself. I'm a big advocate for Lara despite only playing two games and not really enjoying either.

Isaac. Personally not a fan of JRPGs at all outside of Pokémon and Paper Mario (although I'm attempting more traditional JRPGs to try and find one I get on with) but Golden Sun absolutely deserves a larger role in Smash and a fourth game.

On the flip side I adore No More Heroes but don't think Travis would be a great choice...mostly because they'd have to nerf what makes him, him.

Also I quite enjoyed Kingdom Hearts 1(and only KH1) but Sora isn't very appealing to me as a Smasher, again because what I like would have to be stripped out, that being the Disney content. I pretty much hate 80% of the KH OCs.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
It's a perfectly valid opinion to not want a character in Smash because you don't like their home company, but let's keep the politics of that type of opinion out of this thread. Honestly it should be a thread in: https://smashboards.com/forums/serious-discussion.206/

Sora I think makes a lot of sense, but the potential questions surrounding his license make Banjo Kazooie look like they were never bought out by Microsoft/rival company. Square Enix itself is a potential roadblock, not just Disney. Beyond that, we also don't know how much budget Sakurai has left; which does apply for all future characters, but it especially applies in this case.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I don't really get not wanting character/series just because companies/people behind them are scummy.

What happened to judging a video game character's/franchises's worth based on the video game character's/franchises' itself merits? Konami is up there as one of the worst in the gaming world and yet the Castlevania stuff in Ultimate is some of the most hype stuff Ultimate has gotten so far imo.

And as others have probably said, many companies have done s***ty things before; Nintendo themselves have been repsonsible for BS. maybe some companies have done worse than others, but that doesn't make the what the lesser bad companies did less bad.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I don't really get not wanting character/series just because companies/people behind them are scummy.

What happened to judging a video game character's/franchises's worth based on the video game character's/franchises' itself merits? Konami is up there as one of the worst in the gaming world and yet the Castlevania stuff in Ultimate is some of the most hype stuff Ultimate has gotten so far imo.

And as others have probably said, many companies have done s***ty things before; Nintendo themselves have been repsonsible for BS. maybe some companies have done worse than others, but that doesn't make the what the lesser bad companies did less bad.
Yeah I hate Activision's business practices and how Call of Duty's annulisation has erroded any ID it had but I'm still hype for Crash Bandicoot and Spyro. And Tracer would be neat too. Pitfall Harry perhaps?

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion

I've gotta disagree with both of your points here. While everyone you've talked to only mentioned being interested, everyone I've talked to about Kingdom Hearts III wanted the game to see how the current storyline ended..even if they only played Kingdom Hearts & Kingdom Hearts II (I advised these poor souls to at least watch story synopsis for the other games..).

Now did a lot of people discuss wanting this world or that world in the game? Absolutely, of course they did. Much like Super Smash Bros, speculation on what worlds or characters may appear is fun, but unlike Smash, the crossover isn't what people tend to care the most about. Most people care about Sora, Riku, Kairi, Roxas, Axel, Xion, Aqua, Terra, Ven, and all the other original characters. If people only cared about the Disney content, well, the series would likely have already died since they are typically beat for beat retellings of their original movies..heck, a lot of Kingdom Hearts fans are actually a bit annoyed that the Disney Worlds rarely add anything to the main storyline itself.
Mind you, I think those people are crazy because Nomura is a terrible writer and everything he's made after FF7 has been complete nonsense. But that's beside the point.
To be fair..Nomura was only in charge of Final Fantasy VII's art..he wasn't in charge of a game's storyline until Kingdom Hearts (though I disagree..but I could understand your view considering how confusing and convoluted the storyline of Kingdom Hearts can be..)
Sora I think makes a lot of sense, but the potential questions surrounding his license make Banjo Kazooie look like they were never bought out by Microsoft/rival company. Square Enix itself is a potential roadblock, not just Disney. Beyond that, we also don't know how much budget Sakurai has left; which does apply for all future characters, but it especially applies in this case.
Honestly, there's really not any questions about Sora's license, just a lot of confusion. Sora, and all Kingdom Hearts' original content, is entirely owned by Disney. Square-Enix only develops the games and creates the storyline while owning all Final Fantasy & World Ends with You content in the games (though Disney half-owns rights to any unique designs, such as Kingdom Hearts I's version of Cloud).
Disney has explained before that they own all of Kingdom Hearts' original content but when making big decisions regarding the series, they always consult Nomura out of respect.
So, if Sakurai & Nintendo contacted Disney about including Sora in Super Smash Bros, Disney would likely contact Nomura to ask for his opinion on it.
It really wouldn't be any different than any other 3rd Party in regards to difficulty and I'm quite honestly still of the opinion that it wouldn't be as difficult as working a deal with Microsoft was. Aside from consulting Nomura, Square-Enix wouldn't be involved in the deal at all.
In addition, since the new DLC Characters following the Fighter's Pass weren't considered in the original DLC Budget, chances are that Sakurai has a new oe increased budget with which to make them..so there's really not an issue there.

ze9

Smash Ace

But there is something else going on. I don't even go to watch Marvel movies or anything of the likes. I kinda have a beef with Disney.

Also I don't think a megacorporation and an individual are really comparable on any level, but that's going into really off-topic territory so let's leave this at that.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
If Sora isn't a Square Enix character, then he's not (intra-company) competition for Neku. Neku confirmed for Smash!

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Anyone else appreciate the irony of a dude with a Pokemon avi saying annualisation is awful?
Ugh. It's awful for Pokémon too. Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield could be amazing games given the time and budget but instead we get another set of Pokémon games that throw out the things we liked from the previous games and adds a gimmick of the week that will survive two games tops regardless of how fun it is. Gotta keep things surprising amirite? *sigh* What kills me is that pretty much everything the new games need to be awesome has already been done before within it, just not at the same time.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Anyone else appreciate the irony of a dude with a Pokemon avi saying annualisation is awful?
Gen 3 pokemon. Honestly it suffered nearly as much as COD for it.

I think GF reached the end of their rope in Gen V

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
All this Sora talk is pointless since theres only 1 Square character that should be in but none of you have the guts to admit it.

Gex should and will be in.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
As a fan of Metroid, the Prime Trilogy and Dark Samus...And as a big supporter of the character during Smash 4's DLC. And as someone who's pretty much made her a dedicated secondary.

I can say that while being an echo isn't ideal because she has a vast array of abilities that Samus can't even touch, the only real complaint I have regarding Dark Samus in Smash Ultimate is the lack of her theme and her iconic laugh as a taunt or victory screen.
yeah same. The absence of his own theme (which would be a banger and an ideal song for Smash) is almost offensive, in my opinion, when she's playable.
I would have like to see some new moves for her, like the one she did when she was an assist. I don't know why Sakurai and his team didn't give her that move.

I'm glad she's in the roster because I think the Prime trilogy deserved some more representation, but at the same time I felt they put her without much time of develpment or even without knowing a lot about the Prime games with the lack of things like his own theme or the laugh.

Maybe this is unrelated but I also feel the Metroid music selection is very strange... I mean, I like it but there's a strong lack of not only Prime music but also other music from other games like Fusion or Zero Mission. The fact they chose the song of the multiplayer of Prime 2 to represent it never ceases to amaze me... in a bad way, I mean.
Besides Metroid I also feel that the Donkey Kong music selection could be quite better.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Besides Metroid I also feel that the Donkey Kong music selection could be quite better.
How many remixes of Jungl Hijinx are there? Apparently not enough for Sakurai

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
How many remixes of Jungl Hijinx are there? Apparently not enough for Sakurai
To be fair, I believe Sakurai stated that he gives the musicians free reign to choose whichever songs they want to remix. Which is why there where particularly many Castlevania and Fire Emblem remixes in this game.

I guess Jungle Hijinx was a particularly popular song to remix multiple times over anything else from the DK series for some reason...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

the idea of a bloody mii costume being the biggest announcement in ultimate's lifecycle is just...sad. all these legendary characters in one game and the meme skeleton is what really set off waves?
Yeah, unfortunately meme characters get more attention because, well... they're memes, it's really unfortunate but that's how things work here. When a influential character outside the circlejerk gets revealed people get pissy and whine.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Yeah, unfortunately meme characters get more attention because, well... they're memes, it's really unfortunate but that's how things work here. When a influential character outside the circlejerk gets revealed people get pissy and whine.
Welcome to the hive mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom