• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
Yup, right after Steve was announced:
why was he vague about this?
unless he was talking about when than speculation, people are going to think was talking about DLC pack 8.

i do think Hayabusa has a good chance for a reveal, but TGAs feels too much of a longshot compared to the current Fortnite & Crash speculation tussle, as much i'm still on the boat for his inclusion for ages.

sorry for responding on something super old, i don't post here much. -.-

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
A hot dog stand at the end of time and space
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131
Pretty sure 3/4 of those were DLC Mii Costumes in the previous game. Besides, the Lloyd costume isn't in Ultimate at all, so there's nothing saying he can't be added here. I really don't think a Mii Costume from a previous game would stop a character from getting added. Heck, they could even add both Lloyd and his Mii Costume assuming there wouldn't be any work in porting the costume.
Pretty sure 3/4 of those were DLC Mii Costumes in the previous game.
I don't think that changes much, if anything about third-party costumes who have yet to become fighters. (other than the possibility, of course)
Heck, they could even add both Lloyd and his Mii Costume assuming there wouldn't be any work in porting the costume.
I'd be down for that especially if the Mii Costume gets shown off first.
Crackhead prediction time: it's gonna be 2B. Shower me with internet points if I'm right
Gotcha.

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
Last meme I have concerning the Jonesy shenanigans:
protecc.jpg

Most people will just look at Jonesy as the "funny meme guy", try him out, and then move on with their day. And Nintendo would be none the worse. Because at the end of the day, it's the money that matters. As for me personally, I would love to see him get in, but I understand why others wouldn't. Just as long as we act civilly, then we're all good.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Everyone calm down. We're getting Big Smoke and that's final.View attachment 294907
His final smash is his epic order

I’LL HAVE TWO NUMBER NINES
A NUMBER NINE LARGE
A NUMBER SIX WITH EXTRA DIP
A NUMBER SEVEN
TWO NUMBER FORTY FIVES
ONE WITH CHEESE
AND A LARGE SODA.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Last edited:

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Kids would like Jonesy in Smash but the audience they're presenting it in front of would be none too pleased.

You'd hope Nintendo would be cognizant of the demographic the event skews towards since the days of Cranky Kong reveals. In the last few years they've proven to be more attuned with showings like Bayonetta, Zelda, Marvel, and Joker in Smash. Meanwhile the game awards has to add canned applause whenever Fortnite wins something.

Also worth keeping in mind is that Byleth was probably intended to be revealed a month-ish earlier than came to fruition, and, judging by the trailer's ambiguous opening, was probably going to be in a non-Smash-specific overall presentation. It would line up with the game awards... but that didn't end up happening. Which ultimately was probably the right call, the audience wouldn't have been overly receptive.

Now, Fire Emblem is no Fortnite, the gap between the two is monumental, but you've got to wonder what the strategy for reveal would be if the latter was to come to Smash. Seems like of all the audiences, the game awards would be among the worst in which to debut the character.

dream1ng

Smash Lord
Gosh, Joker's reveal at TGA 2018 was fantastic. So, so good. The way there was no Smash intro, letting the context appear unclear - damn, what a fantastic job that was. Can't really do it this time, what with an existing announcement that there will be Smash stuff there.
People will be on the edge of their seat thinking every new trailer might be related to Smash, but that doesn't preclude them trojan horsing the reveal again. Because presumably, only one trailer will actually be the Smash one.

Aerospherology

Smash Lord
Gosh, Joker's reveal at TGA 2018 was fantastic. So, so good. The way there was no Smash intro, letting the context appear unclear - damn, what a fantastic job that was. Can't really do it this time, what with an existing announcement that there will be Smash stuff there.
Except if you noticed the ESRB rating thing

I have to imagine if a Dark Souls rep happened, their invitation letter would be super grimy, like it got lost in the mail and sat in a puddle for a couple days.

When it gets handed to them an old lady goes on a monologue about how the undead was chosen to battle against monoliths of other worlds.

No mention of why the invitation is so dirty.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Uhhh Linus tech??? I need context for this
I was going to joke how Linus Tech = putting a blanket on technology like the kid from Peanuts but I looked it up and it seems to be a channel with 10 million subscribers?

Yeah I don't know either.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
It's the month of Mario theme

Mad Piano would be the biggest wtf in the history of Smash Bros

Bet on it

ZelDan

Smash Master
Honestly, I find all this Jonesy talk to be pretty silly, because I'm pretty sure the ONLY reason he blew up this much in serious discussion, and not just meme discussion, is just because of Minecraft Steve being included.

Which, you know, does kind of ignore the fact that Minecraft and Fortnite aren't even entirely comparable when you remember that Minecraft has a MUCH longer legacy behind it than Fortnite, and that we've known Microsoft has been working with Sakurai even before Steve whereas it's unknown if Fortnite's company is working with Sakurai.

Like, if you thought Jonesy was not all that likely before Minecraft Steve, I don't think Steve should really change that stance, or atleast not do so by anywhere near as much as it clearly has.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Honestly, I find all this Jonesy talk to be pretty silly, because I'm pretty sure the ONLY reason he blew up this much in serious discussion, and not just meme discussion, is just because of Minecraft Steve being included.

Which, you know, does kind of ignore the fact that Minecraft and Fortnite aren't even entirely comparable when you remember that Minecraft has a MUCH longer legacy behind it than Fortnite, and that we've known Microsoft has been working with Sakurai even before Steve whereas it's unknown if Fortnite's company is working with Sakurai.

Like, if you thought Jonesy was not all that likely before Minecraft Steve, I don't think Steve should really change that stance, or atleast not do so by anywhere near as much as it clearly has.
That, and Kratos in Fortnite. Think there was something else in there too, but I don't quite remember what it was.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
A second positive thing about Jonesy being in, is that the pass might make so much money that making a third pass is too good to pass up.
I think Nintendo's plenty aware of the money they're leaving on the table by capping the DLC after a second pass, and they still have chosen to regardless.

We weren't even always destined to get the second pass, despite the profits that have come from it.

As ever, Nintendo gonna Nintendo. Remember that MK8D has sold like 30 million units and has no paid DLC.

Cyberfire

Smash Journeyman
I'm reluctant to go all in on any character beyond the idea that I think it'll be one of some significance to a broad audience. Smash has thrown too many curveballs for me to definitively say it would be a Crash or a Dante. It is Nintendo, and the possibility of some dark horse choice that's still a delightful surprise to many is very much a possibility to me.
I'm with you there. Whilst my gut says Crash, my outside pick is Chosen Undead for that Joker-like WTFness.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Then again if they make bank from the likes of Steve and Jonesy, that means we'll be getting more fighters of their ilk.
At least the rest of FP2 wouldn't be based off of Steve and Jonesy's success and would have to be cheaper to license since those two would drain their budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom