• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

walugurl

Smash Journeyman
I posted it over on the Isaac thread, they're getting all defensive about it, claiming it's fake.

SKX31

Smash Master
This is gonna sound weird to ask but are they legally allowed to do this? lol

Like, a company posting another company's IP, even as just a meme, how does that work exactly?
Thinking fair use, and Riot simply using the meme to spread the message. Riot's also backed by Tencent (Nintendo's Chinese partner at the moment), so it'd be very unlikely that Nintendo would sue anyhow.

Gentle reminder that the Strider franchise started out with the most stereotypically Яussian level (and boss) possible:

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I sincerely doubt the Mario IP committee would allow that lol
Yeah, something changed in the Mario series after New Super Mario Bros Wii came out.

Speaking of older games, it occurs to me that Xenoblade Chronicles X is the only big Nintendo WiiU game left to port that doesn't have a massive "this one actually used the gamepad, how the crap do we port this?" hanging above it's head.
Unless you count Devil's Third. Wasn't Ivan a spirit in the code?

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I mean... this comes from Zippo. Not really the most reliable guy when it comes to leaks like, at all.
Maybe he's right though, but not trusting what he says is understandable considering his track record.
Yeah, I hear he doesn't have the best reputation. I'm pretty iffy on leaks regardless, so if he doesn't have much credentials to back himself up... Yeah, I'm not buying it.

To clarify, how much has he gotten right and how does that stack up to what he's gotten wrong?

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Yeah, I hear he doesn't have the best reputation. I'm pretty iffy on leaks regardless, so if he doesn't have much credentials to back himself up... Yeah, I'm not buying it.

To clarify, how much has he gotten right and how does that stack up to what he's gotten wrong?
To be fair I don't have a full list of his track record. but I can't remember any prediction or leak of his that ended being true.

If I'm not wrong I think admins on Reset Era confirmed he had some sources back then. I might be wrong but I always got the feeling he's one of those "leakers" that if anything, they pretend to know info when in reality, they don't really know that much, but they're smart or vague enough to look like people with actual info.
Not that he's constantly leaking things, but as I said, as far as I remember I don't remember anything that he has gotten right.

PacificFun

Smash Ace
Huh...the next chatacter probably won't have any headwear, eh? And the Square Mii costumes are still missing.

HMMMMMMM

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
....So like, aside from TGA being relatively soon, why is everyone going full ham about "NEXT FIGHTER SOON QUESTION MARK"

We're approaching the 2 month gap since Steve came out sure, but I'm kinda expecting the next fighter to not drop til January tbh.
Do we need a reason to go full ham?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
....So like, aside from TGA being relatively soon, why is everyone going full ham about "NEXT FIGHTER SOON QUESTION MARK"

We're approaching the 2 month gap since Steve came out sure, but I'm kinda expecting the next fighter to not drop til January tbh.
Wishful thinking pretty much. Despite the next fighter likely not being announced until January or at latest February.

Especially given Steve was announced just last month.

Shroob

Sup?
Wishful thinking pretty much. Despite the next fighter likely not being announced until January or at latest February.

Especially given Steve was announced just last month.
Yeah, but Steve's release last month was already 43 days ago, and come the first week of December, it'll be 50. We easily get close to 80 days by the end of December. :4pacman:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Don't know, honestly. I think somebody mentioned a possibility? Though at this rate, if we WERE getting a reveal soon, it'd probably have to be the week before TGA. Assuming it isn't at the Awards, of course.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
How does everyone feel about Lloyd at this point?

Reactions: QQS

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Fairly decent, but I don't have any real investment in him or his series, plus the fact that I've not as invested in Smash in general, so I don't usually focus on him that much. I am confident that he'd be the character chosen if Tales ever gets a fighter, though.

Last edited:

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
In terms of wants, I would be super happy to see him or any other Tales rep get playable representation. Tales was a big JRPG series for me growing up, so I would love to see it in Smash, whether through Lloyd, Yuri, Velvet, heck I'll take Asbel.

As for likelihood, he's certainly possible. Namco only having Pac-Man so far always felt weird, and the Lloyd Mii costume in Smash 4 shows that Tales is on Smash's radar. The Mii costume is also one of Lloyd's biggest potential barriers, since the other Namco Mii costumes coming back leads to the very real possibility that Lloyd is next on the chopping block. I'm hoping that Lloyd Irving can take inspiration from Lloyd Bannings and get over that barrier though.

There's also that Tales of 25th Anniversary live stream coming up, but Smash has never really gone out of its way to line up characters with anniversaries, so it's only relevant in the sense that Bandai Namco is using that as a way to actively push/celebrate the series.

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
Lloyd Bannings from Zero and Ao no Kiseki (Trails) would be cool if a bit boring, If he came with a Juna alt that would be really cool.

I'm sure that is the Lloyd you were talking about not some guy from a series that rhymes with Trails
I love Lloyd, unfortunately he's stuck behind a Japanese only PSP game.
One day, it'll come to the West and we'll get over the barrier.
Actually, now that you bring up Lloyd Bannings, something like his Burning Heart craft could be a neat mechanic. Unlike Monado Arts where each power-up comes with a related drawback, or Aura where powering up is tied to your damage, with Burning Heart you could activate a period of stat increases, with the caveat that when it's done, you deal with a corresponding period of stat decreases and lowered mobility. (I specify lowered mobility because I don't want it to be easy to approach during the boost period and run away during the aftermath.)

Idk, maybe it would be hard to balance in a way that would be usable but not obnoxious, but it could be an interesting mechanic.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
I'm wondering if Nintendo feels that Bamco co-developing Smash and getting their share of the sales is enough for them. No other company has that kind of influence; The highest we've gotten is Sega, with three series having playable representation, and even then I doubt they get as much money back as one of the companies that's co-developing the game. Perhaps Nintendo is hesitant to give a company too much power over the profits.

In other news, Tales of Symphonia couldn't have a more fitting song for Smash.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
If you're referring to how likely his chances are, I'd say things aren't going in his favor right now.

If Heihachi and Gil were still missing, that'd help his case (or any Namco character really). Unfortunately, with both of those back, it makes me doubt we're getting Lloyd or any other Namco character in this pass. There's always the possibility that Tales will take up the entire wave of Mii costumes like DQ did, but that's only happened one out of seven times so far.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I'm wondering if Nintendo feels that Bamco co-developing Smash and getting their share of the sales is enough for them. No other company has that kind of influence; The highest we've gotten is Sega, with three series having playable representation, and even then I doubt they get as much money back as one of the companies that's co-developing the game. Perhaps Nintendo is hesitant to give a company too much power over the profits.
At the same time, Namco loves using their games to reference their other games. All the cars in Ridge Racer are sponsored by other Namco games, Tekken has plenty of customization items based on games like Pac-Man, Taiko no Tatsjin, and The iDOLM@STER, even in Pac-Man they did this with the Galaxian being one of the bonus fruits. While Smash does give Pac-Man a taunt that summons a random Namco sprite, Namco doesn't stop adding cross-company references when it's time to make DLC.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I dropped his game because it bored me and I hated Colette because her themes hit too close to home
I posted it over on the Isaac thread, they're getting all defensive about it, claiming it's fake.
Makes sense, last time I remember Zippo being involved is him going "I know who the next character is but I don't know who owns them" when it was Byleth and Isaac fans are convinced they're getting a new game for reasons they can't explain without linking a video

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Actually, now that you bring up Lloyd Bannings, something like his Burning Heart craft could be a neat mechanic. Unlike Monado Arts where each power-up comes with a related drawback, or Aura where powering up is tied to your damage, with Burning Heart you could activate a period of stat increases, with the caveat that when it's done, you deal with a corresponding period of stat decreases and lowered mobility. (I specify lowered mobility because I don't want it to be easy to approach during the boost period and run away during the aftermath.)

Idk, maybe it would be hard to balance in a way that would be usable but not obnoxious, but it could be an interesting mechanic.
Yeah I had a Lloyd Bannings moveset on the backburner for a while.
Burning Heart would be his Down B and basically give him increased percentile damage, speed, and weight (making him harder to KO), but only for, say 5 seconds. Once that time limit runs out, he goes into shield break animation. On the flip side however, he can repeatedly do it to constantly be in a superpowered state.

The animation, of course, takes time to do, so Lloyd has to make his openings where he can and decide whether to risk everything in a continued frontal assault or stay back and proc his buffs again. In a way, it represents all those little story choices Lloyd makes that give him more Detective Points if he makes the right call.

StarBot

Smash Lord
NNID
TheStarBot
They (Camalot) better not be working on a Golf game

Only because I don’t want Billybae10K Billybae10K to go into a Dangaropa-est breakdown

especially, after his whole conspiracy theory that they are making a new game... somehow

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Basically:
  • Zippo has a shaky track record. Apparently, the last thing he got right was Mewtwo in Smash 4. Yeah...
  • NateDrake has stated that Camelot's next game isn't Mario Golf. He may have slipped up during the 35th anniversary leadup, but his track record is a lot better than Zippo's.
  • There's the Golden Sun trademark that we've harped on and on about. The new, non-renewal trademark that's been turned down twice and finally passed. If it's finally passed, chances are it's in a good spot at the moment.
  • And, most importantly: If there's a new Mario thing coming up, why wasn't it in the 35th anniversary livestream?
That last part is what cinches it for me

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'm not worrying about deciphering these rumors. The people involved aren't that reliable in the first place.

• And, most importantly: If there's a new Mario thing coming up, why wasn't it in the 35th anniversary livestream?
That last part is what cinches it for me
To be fair, they could announce it at any time until March when the anniversary event ends.

I mean, we're bound to get more Mario news soon regardless because of 3D World.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom