• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
From what I can gather, Guilty Gear is older, but BlazBlue came to prominence first. For a while, GG was stuck in cult classic-ville, and the rights were stuck with Sammy. This forced ArcSys to make a spiritual successor instead, which they did by taking their RPG idea and turning it into what is now BlazBlue. Apparently, it help revitalize interest in fighting games, alongside Street Fighter IV. That being said, Guilty Gear has been rapidly gaining in popularity, thanks to Xrd, ArcSys gaining popularity through FighterZ, and the reveal or Strive. From the looks of it, BlazBlue's receding for Guilty Gear to take hold. My bet's on SOl, but it's possible ArcSys and/or Nintendo could decide the era of BlazBlue isn't over just yet.
Huh, interesting. Thanks for the input. In this case Ragna does perhaps have a possibility getting in over Sol.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
From what I can gather, Guilty Gear is older, but BlazBlue came to prominence first. For a while, GG was stuck in cult classic-ville, and the rights were stuck with Sammy. This forced ArcSys to make a spiritual successor instead, which they did by taking their RPG idea and turning it into what is now BlazBlue. Apparently, it help revitalize interest in fighting games, alongside Street Fighter IV. That being said, Guilty Gear has been rapidly gaining in popularity, thanks to Xrd, ArcSys gaining popularity through FighterZ, and the reveal or Strive. From the looks of it, BlazBlue's receding for Guilty Gear to take hold. My bet's on SOl, but it's possible ArcSys and/or Nintendo could decide the era of BlazBlue isn't over just yet.
I'm pretty sure this is only the case in the west because I'm pretty sure that Guilty Gear has always been more popular than Blazblue in Japan but I'm gonna need some clarification there.

There also hasn't been a main series Blazblue game since 2015 but I digress

Last edited:
One thing to note about SNK and Terry: SNK was one of the early adopters of the Switch. I mean super early. It took a while for them to put a new title on the system, but for a good while about 50% of titles on the eshop were old Neo Geo titles. They've also ported a lot of their titles they've made since then. It wouldn't surprise me at all if corporate Nintendo saw that good faith as a good reason to push an SNK character through in DLC. Not the only reason, of course, but a good one nonetheless.

spicynun

Smash Journeyman
This might not be true at all but it is possible that Sakurai has more of a hand in picking the dlc than we think. They frequently mention that Nintendo picks the characters which seems to be the case for the ARMS rep and Steve. It is possible that they frequently state that to the public so the angry smash fans don't target Sakurai personally and instead target Nintendo which is a company and not an individual person. I mean Sakurai rarely talks about games he plays anymore due to the rabid smash fans. Again, this is probably not true at all. No one really knows except Sakurai and the heads at Nintendo.

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
One thing to note about SNK and Terry: SNK was one of the early adopters of the Switch. I mean super early. It took a while for them to put a new title on the system, but for a good while about 50% of titles on the eshop were old Neo Geo titles. They've also ported a lot of their titles they've made since then. It wouldn't surprise me at all if corporate Nintendo saw that good faith as a good reason to push an SNK character through in DLC. Not the only reason, of course, but a good one nonetheless.
On that same topic, Atlus was one of the best supporter of the 3ds. In the first year of the 3ds, they released a enhanced port of SMT Devil survivor. They then released Etrian odyssey 4 in 2012 (2013 in the West), SMT 4 in 2013 Persona Q in 2014, Etrian mistery dungeon in 2014 (2015 in the West), Etrian odyssey 5 in 2016 (2017 in the West) and many, many more. Even when the console was pretty much dead, they did Persona Q2 in 2018 (2019 in the West). I know none of those games are linked to Joker (aside from Persona Q2), but I feel like this huge quantity of games lead to Nintendo having a great relationship with Atlus. They also worked with Nintendo on Tokyo mirage sessions FE (despite selling badly it was a pretty big deal for the Wii u) and they have SMT 5 planned for the Switch. Joker was more than just a promotionnal pick, he's here to celebrate Atlus/Nintendo relationship.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
This might not be true at all but it is possible that Sakurai has more of a hand in picking the dlc than we think. They frequently mention that Nintendo picks the characters which seems to be the case for the ARMS rep and Steve. It is possible that they frequently state that to the public so the angry smash fans don't target Sakurai personally and instead target Nintendo which is a company and not an individual person. I mean Sakurai rarely talks about games he plays anymore due to the rabid smash fans. Again, this is probably not true at all. No one really knows except Sakurai and the heads at Nintendo.
Unless they've been lying, I don't think Sakurai has more input than picking a character from whatever category Nintendo chooses, and even then it seems like he tends to just go ask someone else.

For example, from Sakurai's statements, it's clear that Nintendo didn't want Min Min specifically, but rather, someone from ARMS. That was likely what the proposal to Sakurai was. Instead of picking one himself though, he asked Yabuki, and that's how we got Min Min as a pick.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
It’s like nobody reads anything I’ve said about the Vergeben/Minecraft things.

The source for Verg was somebody who, at the time, would have made sense to listen to. However, that person was also an attention seeker.

They said there was an Enderdragon boss. There is not an Enderdragon boss.

It was made up and not real. We got Minecraft content, yes, but that does not mean that leak was real.

Please, read comments. This is like the 5th time I’ve spoken on the subject. Folks talk about leakers as if they know all the deets. I am privy to the person who “leaked” it, and therefore know about the situation.

Sure, go ahead and talk about stuff like that. But what some folks are saying is inaccurate to my knowledge.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
For example, from Sakurai's statements, it's clear that Nintendo didn't want Min Min specifically, but rather, someone from ARMS. That was likely what the proposal to Sakurai was. Instead of picking one himself though, he asked Yabuki, and that's how we got Min Min as a pick.
Also from Sakurai, he wanted Hero but he mentionned he was open to the Slime if Square didn't want Hero in Smash. I do think that Nintendo give themes or franchises (like Arms or Dragon quest) and let Sakurai choose the characters with the exception of Min min who was apparently a request of the director of the game with Sakurai considering Ninjara for the spot.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
It’s like nobody reads anything I’ve said about the Vergeben/Minecraft things.

The source for Verg was somebody who, at the time, would have made sense to listen to. However, that person was also an attention seeker.

They said there was an Enderdragon boss. There is not an Enderdragon boss.

It was made up and not real. We got Minecraft content, yes, but that does not mean that leak was real.

Please, read comments. This is like the 5th time I’ve spoken on the subject. Folks talk about leakers as if they know all the deets. I am privy to the person who “leaked” it, and therefore know about the situation.

Sure, go ahead and talk about stuff like that. But what some folks are saying is inaccurate to my knowledge.
I must agree. I mean, we shouldn’t just listen to someone again because they said something about the subject long ago. The content mentioned back then was different too, as you said.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
My list of characters from different companies;

Nintendo- Captain Toad
Camelot- Isaac
TPC- Eevee
IS- Andy
Retro- Dixie

Netherealm- Scoprion (Mortal Komnat)
Konami- Frogger
Bandai-Namco- Agumon (Digimon)
Square-Enix- Lara Croft (Tomb Raider)
Blizzard- Tracer (Overwatch)
Activision- Crash Bandicoot {Eponymous games}
Bethesda- Doom Slayer {Doom}
Sony- Kratos {God of War}
Capcom- Jill Valenrine {Resident Evil)
Sega- Arle (Puyo Puyo)
Koei-Tecmo- Ryu Hababusa

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
This exactly. He's definitely in the ranks with characters like Hero, Banjo, and Terry in terms of legacy. Last of the NES icons, strong history and relationship with Nintendo notably starting off on a Nintendo console.
“Am I a joke to you?”
D1CBF7F9-175A-40A4-ADEB-0A0967D61814.jpeg

Umm. no. This is bias speaking. More people now-a-days recognize Sans. And people use these same arguemets for Double Dragon, Contra, so many other series. It is commonly just hind sight bias.
Just because something is old means that its history doesn’t matter anymore? That’s like saying “Yeah, Back to the Future shouldn’t be included on the list of important movies because people nowadays recognize Avengers: Endgame more”. You can celebrate both classic & new things.

This just seems like you have no knowledge of gaming history so you’re trying to write off these classic series. I have no personal bias for these games. I played SNES Contra for like 30 minutes & got filtered out by its difficulty. I haven’t played Double Dragon or Ninja Gaiden, though the modern Ninja Gaiden trilogy is in my backlog. But I know how important & influential these series are.

It’s okay if you’re not knowledgable on gaming history, but you should stop trying to talk down everyone trying to explain to you why Ninja Gaiden is important.

There’s really no set pattern for the DLC choices. The characters fit individual categories that make sense but each character has a different category/reason behind their inclusion. There’s no common theme between all 8 DLC characters we have so far.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I mean...

I've been saying the 3rd party choices in FP1 may have been partially chosen due to Nintendo wanting to improve or maintain relationships with certain third party companies for a while now.

I legit got laughed at.

Now others are saying pretty much the same thing and get treated like its valid speculation.

This really be a bruh moment.

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
This was shown on the Sakurai playlist on Youtube.

Smash Playlist 1.jpeg

And this was on the UK NIntendo playlist on Youtube just now.

Smash Playlist 2.jpeg

Could mean nothing, but just wanted to share. Got these from the Geno thread, by the way.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
The only common theme amongst all 8 DLC characters is that they bring unique gameplay and content to the game.

In terms of the Fighter Pass DLC, they are all protagonists, something that continues on a trend from Smash Wii U/3DS. Is Min Min an exception? Maybe, maybe not. But, the fact that Sakurai went out of his way to say, “Yep, she’s a protagonist!” Seems to reinforce that it is relevant to the character selection process in some capacity.

Does this narrow down choices? Potentially. It really depends on if the trend of protagonists continues, which frankly I don’t doubt it continuing.

Basically, does it outright disconfirm characters? No. But could it? Potentially, and that is the difference for a good handful of picks. The field of choices gets smaller if it’s revolving around protagonists, quite frankly.

I’m not saying that definitive. We could get somebody who isn’t a protagonist as our next pick. I would just say that based on the last 10 or so DLC fighters that might not happen.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I mean...

I've been saying the 3rd party choices in FP1 may have been partially chosen due to Nintendo wanting to improve or maintain relationships with certain third party companies for a while now.

I got legit laughed at.

Now others are saying pretty much the same thing and get treated like its valid speculation.

This really be a bruh moment.
You're totally wrong until everyone agrees, except by the time that finally happens, it was super obvious and you're not special for predicting something everyone knew would happen.

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
The only common theme amongst all 8 DLC characters is that they bring unique gameplay and content to the game.

In terms of the Fighter Pass DLC, they are all protagonists, something that continues on a trend from Smash Wii U/3DS. Is Min Min an exception? Maybe, maybe not. But, the fact that Sakurai went out of his way to say, “Yep, she’s a protagonist!” Seems to reinforce that it is relevant to the character selection process in some capacity.

Does this narrow down choices? Potentially. It really depends on if the trend of protagonists continues, which frankly I don’t doubt it continuing.

Basically, does it outright disconfirm characters? No. But could it? Potentially, and that is the difference for a good handful of picks. The field of choices gets smaller if it’s revolving around protagonists, quite frankly.

I’m not saying that definitive. We could get somebody who isn’t a protagonist as our next pick. I would just say that based on the last 10 or so DLC fighters that might not happen.
It's really more Protagonist and Mascot as being the interchangeable choices for a rep. Slime seemed to have been considered in Hero's sport and Pikachu got in over Pokemon trainer in the first Smash Bros. I guess you could say if we got something like Dark Souls got a rep, it would most likely be the Chosen Undead rather than Solaire.

Last edited:

cashregister9

Smash Hero
My list of characters from different companies;

Nintendo-
- Paper Mario
Camelot- Isaac
TPC- Eevee
IS- Andy
Retro- Dixie

Netherealm- Scoprion (Mortal Komnat)
Bandai-Namco- Agumon (Digimon)