• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
A hot dog stand at the end of time and space
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131
Wait... when was the last time the servers crashed when a fighter released? I don't recall it crashing for any of them except Joker. Hero, Burger King and Terry (also Peepee :ultpiranha:) I know didn't because I downloaded them immediately when they were released, and I can't tell for Byleth or Min Min because I didn't download them immediately.

One more thing... Another user may have pointed this out already (probably days or a week ago too), but I noticed lines on the banner on the official Smash website. I refreshed the page to check, so it isn't my connection. Have they always been there?

Boy, I sure hope somebody got fired for that blunder...
line1.png
line2.png
line3.png
line4.png
line5.png

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Wait... when was the last time the servers crashed when a fighter released? I don't recall it crashing for any of them except Joker. Hero, Burger King Terry I know didn't because I downloaded them immediately when they were released, and I can't tell for Byleth or Min Min because I didn't download them immediately.

One more thing... Another user may have pointed this out already (probably days or a week ago too), but I noticed lines on the banner on the official Smash website. I refreshed the page to check, so it isn't my connection. Have they always been there?

What could those lines mean?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It's really difficult to argue against Nintendo promoting Pokemon to death when it

* Has shown excellent results; Sw / Sh is the best selling Pokemon duo since Gold / Silver, and

* Still has a lot of room to grow, and not just other countries. Although that is a major part of it - sure, Nintendo won't get all 720 million gamers in China* to play Pokemon, but getting even a fraction of that would 100 % be worth it for Nintendo. Even if the Chinese state / regime is obstructionist as **** when it comes to video games and every skeleton in the closet that comes with that.
Still though, Pokemon doesn't need anymore newcomers for this game and underrepresented franchises or franchises not yet in deserve a rep more at the moment.

SirBillyBob

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5257-9274-9505
Wait... when was the last time the servers crashed when a fighter released? I don't recall it crashing for any of them except Joker. Hero, Burger King and Terry (also Peepee :ultpiranha:) I know didn't because I downloaded them immediately when they were released, and I can't tell for Byleth or Min Min because I didn't download them immediately.

It's just the Smash banner being a little glitchy. Same thing happened around October-November during the base game and people thought Isaac was in due to some green pixels. Don't think too much of it.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Have to say I’m really excited to get bomberman today
I had the same feeling about the Goemon Mii costume. He wasn't playable, but at least my most wanted was in the game as a freaking Mii costume. I would have never imagined it in million years beforehand.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I agree and disagree with this. I wouldn't throw away their current movesets, but I'd give them new movesets in addition to their current ones.
It wouldn't be worth it. Each moveset made is another character added, and I think most would agree that adding characters like Mario more than once for the sake of keeping their original movesets around is a bit of a waste, especially if the new movesets are way better or more interesting.

One thing to note though, is that even with a reimagined moveset, a lot of character's gameplans would remain the same since even the older movesets are good at portraying the character even if they aren't basically museums of the character's history like with Mega Man and Steve.

Also, there are definitely characters that shouldn't really be changed much at all such as Captain Falcon. You could give him some more utility off of what he has currently, but anything beyond that is just sacrilege. :p

Still though, Pokemon doesn't need anymore newcomers for this game and underrepresented franchises or franchises not yet in deserve a rep more at the moment.
It's really just a matter of what's more attractive to them. So far the 1st party characters were added to have someone from a then upcoming game (:ultcorrin::ultbyleth:), and presumably to keep ARMS in people's minds for the time being (:ultminmin). If Pokémon has something big planned for it's anniversary next year, we could see a character from it. Possibly even if not, but I wouldn't hold my breath in such a scenario.

Imo, a Xenoblade Chronicles character is more likely than a Pokémon one, but I wouldn't say Pokémon is out of the running at the moment. It won't be from Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield though. Those games's times have passed.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Yes, we need reps from underrepresented series like Mario and Fire Emblem.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Not what I'm talking about. Xenoblade, Donkey Kong, Kirby, Wario, ect.
You have Geno hats in your avatar for a reason. Not wanting any more Pokemon isn't about fairness. It's about not wanting to know the series has a Waluigi/Dee/Dixie.

SKX31

Smash Master
Pokemon doesn't really need any, no.

It's however been one of Nintendo's prime cash cows since the OG popularity spike during the Red / Blue days, so of course they have included new shiny 'Mons since Smash 64. It makes a lot of financial sense to do so, and it being promoted to death doesn't seem to harm it. To quote NonSpecificFrank on a related matter:

If the controversies surrounding the Let’s Go and SwSh didn’t kill Pokémon, nothing will.

Pokémon can’t even kill itself.
I don't think a Pokemon will be chosen for FP2 simply due to priority reasons (even if it could), but there's a major reason why many people believe "New Smash game = New Pokemon in base game". Doesn't mean it'll automatically happen, no, but the franchise is really bloody big and still can go places.

Edit: There's even an academic book titled "Pikachu's Global Adventure: The Rise and Fall of Pokémon" written in 2004. Hoo boy that book aged poorly.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So this is completely random and unnecessary to bring up, but remember when Color Theory was a pretty big thing going around during Vol 1 speculation? I'm surprised we haven't exactly seen Color Theory 2: Electric Boogaloo yet with Min Min and Steve having different colored backgrounds yellow and blue.

And since I brought it up anyways, Steve's background color is a very slightly different shade of blue in comparison to Terry's as we see on the site. Take that for what you will.

12343155.png

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So this is completely random and unnecessary to bring up, but remember when Color Theory was a pretty big thing going around during Vol 1 speculation? I'm surprised we haven't exactly seen Color Theory 2: Electric Boogaloo yet with Min Min and Steve having different colored backgrounds yellow and blue.

And since I brought it up anyways, Steve's background color is a very slightly different shade of blue in comparison to Terry's as we see on the site. Take that for what you will.

View attachment 289190
Piranha Plant and Byleth are also both green, but different shades. Same with Banjo and Min Min

D

Deleted member

Piranha Plant and Byleth are also both green, but different shades. Same with Banjo and Min Min
Back when we were sitting around on FP5, people were thinking orange was the next color linking to Crash.

In a way, Color Theory wasn't proven to be wrong since all the characters ended up having different colored backgrounds in Vol 1; it was just people's expectations that were.

Aerospherology

Smash Lord

View attachment 289190
geno with another shade of green lol

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

View attachment 289190
Pretty sure the color backgrounds are just selected from different parts of the character's body. The plant's leaves, Joker's gloves, luminarys shirt, either part of kazooies wing or banjos muzzle, Terry's jeans, Byleyhs green hair, min min's yellow hair, and Steve's light blue shirt

its cant be that deep

Last edited:

Spongeboob

Smash Ace
A hot dog stand at the end of time and space
Switch FC
SW-5063-7952-1131
Yes, we need reps from underrepresented series like Mario and Fire Emblem.
I agree unironically. They're in desperate need for more characters.

View attachment 289190
Blame it on Blyat. He/she/they is green when every other character was a color of the rainbow. (NOTE: Except orange.) Off-topic: I know they are different, but am I the only one who thinks Terry's blue and Steve's blue are too similar? (Same with Peepee's green and Blyat's Green.)

Last edited:

DX_E

Smash Apprentice
If there's going to be another Pokemon....I'm actually still rooting for Sceptile. He's probably number 23 on my list of wants though

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Man I can't believe they didn't add a Gen 7 rep to the Ultimate base game just because Gen 8 was right around the corner and Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee came out that same year /s

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I wonder what Steve’s internal code name is...

quick refresher: Joker was Jack, Hero was Brave, Banjo was Buddy, Terry was Dolly, Byleth was Master and Min Min was Tantan
This is the first time I'm hearing about Min Min's codename. What's the reference this time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom