• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I always find it odd how much core gamers hate popular games.
I don't hate popular games...

...I just only like games that were popular 30 years ago.

Look, no one wants Minecraft Story mode to be represented in Smash, and especially no one wants Jesse.
Uh, I'll take a Patton Oswalt voiced character over Steve any day. Please and thank you.

I still think a Guilty Gear rep in Smash is going to happen. There's no way Sakurai would just go to ArcSys for some Kunio-kun spirits.
If it removes Sol from Kunio's path for Smash 6(or Smash Ultimate Deluxe), then I'm all for it.

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
The cool thing about Ryu Hayabusa is that he is playable in every single Dead or Alive fighting game, and not even as some secret unlockable character, Ryu is always playable from the get go.

Terry Bogard is technically representing Fatal Fury, but there is still a lot of references to King of Fighters, the same could be done with Ryu by having him represent Ninja Gaiden while also referencing Dead or Alive...

On second thought, seeing how Smash is for good boys and girls maybe they wouldn’t want to reference Dead or Alive.

Shroob

Sup?
I honestly expect a Game Awards reveal for FP8 with a January release date.
Not impossible, since this could be the last Game Awards that could be in line with Smash's DLC schedule(I do not think we'll be waiting until December of next year to finish the pass)

But my big question is would we get a reveal due to how our last 3 characters have all played out? Our last 3 characters were all revealed only a week before they were made playable. Considering that TGA's is the 10th, I dunno.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I honestly expect a Game Awards reveal for FP8 with a January release date.
That's what the optimist in me says.

But I found a Byleth situation more likely. No reason, just a hunch. A December reveal feels too soon after Steve.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero

But I found a Byleth situation more likely. No reason, just a hunch. A December reveal feels too soon after Steve.
Of course, Min Min and Steve are both incredibly complex characters. We could get a reveal sooner if CP8 is simpler.

Shroob

Sup?

I mean, you're not wrong, but it is 58 days when TGA launches.

I feel like if we push into mid January, then we're going to match Steve wait times of 100 days, which is a bit concerning.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero

I feel like if we push into mid January, then we're going to match Steve wait times of 100 days, which is a bit concerning.
I don't see that happening unless CP8 is as complex as Steve is, or more.

osby

Smash Obsessed

That's fair. I think I'm just too used to long waits, haha.

I wonder if we do end up getting a TGA reveal, an M-rated franchise character is more likely. Joker alone was hardly a pattern but I can also see a fighter that appeals to more mature audiences having a warmer reception at that event.

Shroob

Sup?

I wonder if we do end up getting a TGA reveal, an M-rated franchise character is more likely. Joker alone was hardly a pattern but I can also see a fighter that appeals to more mature audiences having a warmer reception at that event.
Say it with me.

Ha-ya-bu-sa :4pacman:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero

I think that there won't be any characters that appeal to mature audiences.

Shroob

Sup?
Truthfully, I don't really 'expect' a character reveal at TGAs, but it 'would' be fitting, since it'll probably be the last time TGA could realistically have a character shown off at it.

I'm 'personally' banking on very early January.

When December ends, it'll be 79~ days since Steve

But around January 20th-21st, it'll have been 100~ days since Steve

Somewhere in-between that feels good.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Truthfully, I don't really 'expect' a character reveal at TGAs, but it 'would' be fitting, since it'll probably be the last time TGA could realistically have a character shown off at it.

I'm 'personally' banking on very early January.

When December ends, it'll be 79~ days since Steve

But around January 20th-21st, it'll have been 100~ days since Steve

Somewhere in-between that feels good.
I honestly expect a TGA reveal with a release in early January.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master

Shroob

Sup?
I honestly expect a TGA reveal with a release in early January.
Again tho, considering our last 3 reveals have been "Reveal, release a week later", I'm a touch doubtful on that. Seems like that may be 'the norm' going forward, maybe as a way to cut down on potential leaks?
Don’t mind me, I just want to laugh at a dumpkoff.
You really don't, trust me.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Again tho, considering our last 3 reveals have been "Reveal, release a week later", I'm a touch doubtful on that. Seems like that may be 'the norm' going forward, maybe as a way to cut down on potential leaks?

You really don't, trust me.
Leaks would really only be a problem if they did a guessing game again, that at least unless Nintendo has a brain fart and leaks it themselves.

Shroob

Sup?
Leaks would really only be a problem if they did a guessing game again, that at least unless Nintendo has a brain fart and leaks it themselves.
Not really. Remember how Banjo leaked several days before he was shown off? Notice how aside from Terry, which was all on them, no character has leaked but a couple minutes before they went live since?

If they handed off a trailer to TGA, you bet your ass it'd leak online in today's world. We were 'very' lucky that Joker didn't leak. Having to work with a 3rd party to reveal your stuff runs the risk of leaks happening, and Banjo flat out leaked due to that probably.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Not really. Remember how Banjo leaked several days before he was shown off? Notice how aside from Terry, which was all on them, no character has leaked but a couple minutes before they went live since?

If they handed off a trailer to TGA, you bet your ass it'd leak online in today's world. We were 'very' lucky that Joker didn't leak. Having to work with a 3rd party to reveal your stuff runs the risk of leaks happening, and Banjo flat out leaked due to that probably.
TGA is a public event and would probably be livestreamed, especially in an age of social distancing.

Shroob

Sup?
TGA is a public event and would probably be livestreamed, especially in an age of social distancing.
....okay? There's still staff who have to set everything up.

Do you know how many people probably edit together the show, watch it over a couple times to make sure everything looks good and there's no technical hiccups?

When you have THAT many eyes on something, can you really trust all of them that they won't leak ****?

RileyXY1

Smash Hero

Do you know how many people probably edit together the show, watch it over a couple times to make sure everything looks good and there's no technical hiccups?

When you have THAT many eyes on something, can you really trust all of them that they won't leak ****?
Everything's bound to leak in the age of the internet.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

Didn't Geoff literally say in an interview that he was the only one who knew about Joker, due to Nintendo's own specifications?

We don't know how this year's TGA will function, but if Dorito Pope could do it once, he can probably do it again.

Shroob

Sup?
Didn't Geoff literally say in an interview that he was the only one who knew about Joker, due to Nintendo's own specifications?

We don't know how this year's TGA will function, but if Dorito Pope could do it once, he can probably do it again.
If only one guy knows, then that's entirely different.

But I still really doubt a TGA reveal. I'm not saying it's too soon, but I'm sticking to my guns of early January.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero

But I still really doubt a TGA reveal. I'm not saying it's too soon, but I'm sticking to my guns of early January.
I can't see a reveal then unless the character is as complex as Min Min and Steve.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

Oh, no, I agree. Just saying that there's a possibility that the character won't leak, is all.

Ngl, I'm gonna watch anyway because I still want to see some Steam news, but I hope we get something because it would be one of the best opportunities for a few characters I want.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
80~ish days is completely in the norm.

We had a couple characters in FP1 that hit around 70-ish days between reveals. Two and a half-ish months is very reasonable, especially in a work from home setting.
If there isn't a TGA reveal, then I expect a late January or February reveal.

Shroob

Sup?
If there isn't a TGA reveal, then I expect a late January or February reveal.
So you're then saying you expect the reveal to be 100+ days?

Mate, come on, where the hell did the first two weeks of January go? :214:

If the DLC ends up being roughly 2.5/3 months between each reveal, so be it, we don't need to start predicting 4+ months until the time comes.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
So you're then saying you expect the reveal to be 100+ days?

Mate, come on, where the hell did the first two weeks of January go? :214:

If the DLC ends up being roughly 2.5/3 months between each reveal, so be it, we don't need to start predicting 4+ months until the time comes.
I think that an early January reveal is honestly too soon. I don't expect a fighter showcase then unless the character was already announced at the Game Awards.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
If guards pratfalling and getting exclamation marks above their heads is all it takes for you to visualize the gritty war saga dealing with topics such as manipulation of information, deterrence as peace, and child soldiers as a cartoon, then I'm not sure why the game about the viking man who kills dragons is such a reach.
Sorry for bringing up an old argument but I was asleep so I have an excuse. Not only that you misunderstand my point again.

It's the way they portray the comical stuff. Like putting a bucket over someone's head is something you can do in real life. An exclamation mark suddenly appearing over your head with an accompanying sound cannot possibly happen in real life. That's what helps the Metal Gear Solid series ground itself back into the video game realm, at least that's what the first 3 solid games do. It might be all it takes to distract me from all the serious topics that Metal Gear brings but it's the little things that help remind me that it's a video game.

Still, that's not all I have a problem with. I even mentioned all the other things I have a problem with the Dragonborn in Smash Bros in my original post.

Shroob

Sup?
Like, I feel like I'm having a stroke. :054:

Between Min Min's ARMs trailer guessing game and her initial reveal, it was 91 days

And between Min Min's initial reveal and Steve's reveal it was 101 days, but we also know he was held back like 2 weeks(Probably to coincide with Minecon) due to the missing Tournaments and news, so if had been revealed when he was supposed to before delays, it would have been like 87.

Yeah, the first 2 weeks of January are pretty much on schedule with the other 2, they're in no way 'too soon'. Anything later is freakin' later than Steve.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Like, I feel like I'm having a stroke. :054:

Between Min Min's ARMs trailer guessing game and her initial reveal, it was 91 days

And between Min Min's initial reveal and Steve's reveal it was 101 days, but we also know he was held back like 2 weeks(Probably to coincide with Minecon) due to the missing Tournaments and news, so if had been revealed when he was supposed to before delays, it would have been like 87.

Yeah, the first 2 weeks of January are pretty much on schedule with the other 2, they're in no way 'too soon'. Anything later is freakin' later than Steve.
This is part of the reason why I think a TGA reveal would be just a teaser, like Joker or Terry. If it happened, chances are we'd only get a full gameplay reveal in January.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
This is part of the reason why I think a TGA reveal would be just a teaser, like Joker or Terry. If it happened, chances are we'd only get a full gameplay reveal in January.
That's honestly what I think a TGA reveal would be like. Just a trailer with the gameplay showcase happening later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom