• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I'm thinking of the idea of Jesse (from Minecraft Story Mode) being a Steve echo. He/she could be a more "traditional" alternative to Steve by having more fluid animations, speaking, and having an actual personality (albeit a generic one). It's not everyone's cup of tea, but I'm just throwing the idea out there.
Look, no one wants Minecraft Story mode to be represented in Smash, and especially no one wants Jesse.

CrenTIScO

Smash Apprentice
Have you guys seen this poll? It's differently set up to most, but I like it. You should vote in it, or cheer rather
Hey, I'm one of the mods at Global Smash Roster. Glad you like the site, it's gone through some major improvements in the past couple days. Come check it out if you haven't been here in a while or at all, and feel free to ask me anything about the site you like. Thanks!

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Hey, I'm one of the mods at Global Smash Roster. Glad you like the site, it's gone through some major improvements in the past couple days. Come check it out if you haven't been here in a while or at all, and feel free to ask me anything about the site you like. Thanks!
Oh, nice. I recently added a character.

I hope that the description for Brian is good enough. ...I might need a better picture. First one I uploaded didn't translate well as is. Made an error when I used the erasure tool in Paint.net. Any tips for the images? Like the specific proportions of the image(as in what height and width)?

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
I still think a Guilty Gear rep in Smash is going to happen. There's no way Sakurai would just go to ArcSys for some Kunio-kun spirits. Speaking of, it's nice to get a release date for Guilty Gear Strive and a sick-looking newcomer in the form of Giovanna.

Shroob

Sup?
I still think a Guilty Gear rep in Smash is going to happen. There's no way Sakurai would just go to ArcSys for some Kunio-kun spirits. Speaking of, it's nice to get a release date for Guilty Gear Strive and a sick-looking newcomer in the form of Giovanna.
I mean, we have Koei stuff in the game with no playable character(yet), so it's not entirely impossible.

Zeb Nasaki

Smash Apprentice
Hi, I have a question

Do any of you think an indie character is likely, not as a miii costume but as a playable fighter. And if that is the case which character do you think would be the chosen one.

My favourite is the knight from hollow knight and recently he has got a lot of popularity in the smash fandom, although he is not in the same level of other request like reimu or shantae, I think sans, shovel knigth and cuphead are very unlikely now, but Hollow kniht has beeen a massive succes on the switch, and to this day it still scores in the top indie games sales of the e-shop. Since his realaese on switch in 2018 the game's popularity has increased a lot, and if the speculation is coreect and the volume 2 was indeed decided in the beggining of 2019. Then hollow knight could have been in the percect position to be considerate as an indie rep.

Also Nintendo has constantly been supporting Hollow Knight and team cherry since 2018, advertising Silksong in the e3 2019 with a playable demo, and also in PAX Australia 2019 later that year and considering team cherry as one of their most prominent supporters. Even in a conference in china when they where talking about companies they worked with Team cherry was mentioned among them, and pretty much they were the onoy Indie company mentioned there, (maybe wayforward was there too now that I remember.)

I am not saying that this proves that a Hollow Knight rep is coming, is still highly unlikely since is an indie, and is outside from Japan, although not necesarily western since it comes from australia. And all this hints could just indicate a mii costume or a spirit event, but seeing that Hollow Knight has also donde well in Japan to the point that a japanese version was anounced in march 2019 and realeased later this year, and the fact that Silksong is still brought up as one of their major tittles for the coming next year, this could indicate that there is a very strong relationship between team cherry and Nintendo, and the fact that Sliksong will be a timed console exclusive for the switch just brings up more hints that something with Hollow Knight could happen more than a mii costume. Since a game that by february 2019 has sold over 2 800 000 copies, to put in perspective the entire Shantae franchise in 18 years has sold over a 3 million units by june of this year, has been critically aclaimed both by the press and the fans as one of the best metroidvanias and indies of this decade, could have a shot to have a foghter in the greatest crossover of gaming history.

Regardless this is just my speculation, but what are your thoughts?

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Hence my belief that a character from them (namely Ryu Hayabusa) is also coming.
I mean, thing to remember though is that stuff was in since the base game. We had Fatal Frame and Hyrule Warriors stuff in the base game, and had a 2nd pass not happened, we may have never gotten a Koei character.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I'm the first one who would like to see that to happen but a new game coming doesn't mean a character in Smash. The Kunio spirits are definitely a sign of Nintendo and ArcSys talks, if those talks were not just only about Kunio, we don't know.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I mean, thing to remember though is that stuff was in since the base game. We had Fatal Frame and Hyrule Warriors stuff in the base game, and had a 2nd pass not happened, we may have never gotten a Koei character.
Wait, what Hyrule Warriors stuff do we have?? Or am I misreading that.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Ever since 2017, Nintendo has been dropping sizable news at the game awards. We're getting something, it might not be smash though
What was that sizable from Nintendo at 2019? NMH3? BD2? I don't mean any disrespect to them, but it felt very underwhelming to only get trailers for these games, which are third party, and get nothing first party. Just a little more info on BoTW2 or Bayo 3 would have been enough, as would Byleth's reveal, at least for me. That heavily soured The Game Awards in my eyes, so it's gonna be a no from me as far as tuning in this year goes. Especially since I have even less reason to expect much because of covid.

Last edited:

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
Considering that KT was involved in developing some big games recently for Nintendo (i.e. Marvel's Ultimate Alliance 3, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, and now Hyrule Warriors: AoC) and appear to have a strong working relationship with them, it wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo asked Sakurai to implement a KT character.

Ryu Hayabusa's name was flowing around for a while in rumor and speculation circles (beaten only by Steve), and with Steve getting in, I have to think that Hayabusa's really plausible now.

Hayabusa was undoubtedly discussed, but with Ninja Gaiden being a dead franchise and Ryu himself not being too recognizable, I wouldn't be shocked if he was a mii costume
Even though Ninja Gaiden hasn't gotten a new game in a long time, Hayabusa is still KT's most prominent figure (rivaled only by Dynasty Warriors' Zhao Yun and recent newcomer Atelier's Ryza).

Team Ninja has expressed interest in working on a new installment of Ninja Gaiden after Nioh 2, so KT is definitely examining how to resuscitate the series.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Huh, could have sworn Lana was a spirit.

Ah well, we still have the Fatal Frame AT so my point stands lol.
I'm sad we lack HW stuff too. There's tons of cool spirits alone they could use. Including giving us more versions of various Zelda characters. Or even repeated spirits of some. Though I forget which Tingle spirit we have, WW design or MM design.

Though Tingle in there is a great example of how awesome he could work in Smash. A lot of the movesets could help inspire a fun one. Ganondorf, Great Fairy, Agitha, etc.

Shroob

Sup?
Considering that KT was involved in developing some big games recently for Nintendo (i.e. Marvel's Ultimate Alliance 3, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, and now Hyrule Warriors: AoC) and appear to have a strong working relationship with them, it wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo asked Sakurai to implement a KT character.

Ryu Hayabusa's name was flowing around for a while in rumor and speculation circles (beaten only by Steve), and with Steve getting in, I have to think that Hayabusa's really plausible now.

Even though Ninja Gaiden hasn't gotten a new game in a long time, Hayabusa is still KT's most prominent figure (rivaled only by Dynasty Warriors' Zhao Yun and recent newcomer Atelier's Ryza).

Team Ninja has expressed interest in working on a new installment of Ninja Gaiden after Nioh 2, so KT is definitely examining how to resuscitate the series.
I mean, I definitely think Hayabusa's likely(If not probably coming due to all the leak stuff around him).

If anything, I'd say the rumored collection would be a good point in his favor.

latsmash

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5085-9089-2026
What was that sizable from Nintendo at 2019? NMH3? BD2? I don't mean any disrespect to them, but it felt very underwhelming to only get trailers for these games, which are third party, and get nothing first party. Just a little more info on BoTW2 or Bayo 3 would have been enough, as would Byleth's reveal, at least for me. That heavily soured The Game Awards in my eyes, so it's gonna be a no from me as far as tuning in this year goes. Especially since I have even less reason to expect much because of covid.
You're talking about BD2 and NMH3 being underwhelming because they're third party trailers, meanwhile asking for more Bayo 3 info.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
Hi, I have a question

Do any of you think an indie character is likely, not as a miii costume but as a playable fighter. And if that is the case which character do you think would be the chosen one.

My favourite is the knight from hollow knight and recently he has got a lot of popularity in the smash fandom, although he is not in the same level of other request like reimu or shantae, I think sans, shovel knigth and cuphead are very unlikely now, but Hollow kniht has beeen a massive succes on the switch, and to this day it still scores in the top indie games sales of the e-shop. Since his realaese on switch in 2018 the game's popularity has increased a lot, and if the speculation is coreect and the volume 2 was indeed decided in the beggining of 2019. Then hollow knight could have been in the percect position to be considerate as an indie rep.

Also Nintendo has constantly been supporting Hollow Knight and team cherry since 2018, advertising Silksong in the e3 2019 with a playable demo, and also in PAX Australia 2019 later that year and considering team cherry as one of their most prominent supporters. Even in a conference in china when they where talking about companies they worked with Team cherry was mentioned among them, and pretty much they were the onoy Indie company mentioned there, (maybe wayforward was there too now that I remember.)

I am not saying that this proves that a Hollow Knight rep is coming, is still highly unlikely since is an indie, and is outside from Japan, although not necesarily western since it comes from australia. And all this hints could just indicate a mii costume or a spirit event, but seeing that Hollow Knight has also donde well in Japan to the point that a japanese version was anounced in march 2019 and realeased later this year, and the fact that Silksong is still brought up as one of their major tittles for the coming next year, this could indicate that there is a very strong relationship between team cherry and Nintendo, and the fact that Sliksong will be a timed console exclusive for the switch just brings up more hints that something with Hollow Knight could happen more than a mii costume. Since a game that by february 2019 has sold over 2 800 000 copies, to put in perspective the entire Shantae franchise in 18 years has sold over a 3 million units by june of this year, has been critically aclaimed both by the press and the fans as one of the best metroidvanias and indies of this decade, could have a shot to have a foghter in the greatest crossover of gaming history.

God, I'd love to see Hollow Knight get in. Those things you listed definitely highlight how Nintendo views Team Cherry in high regards, but I don't see them getting in this pass unfortunately. A spirit event is our best bet for Hollow Knight content. I hope a Mii costume is never added cause it would look awful.
Hayabusa was undoubtedly discussed, but with Ninja Gaiden being a dead franchise and Ryu himself not being too recognizable, I wouldn't be shocked if he was a mii costume
What. Are we doing the whole "you wouldn't know where they came from if you already didn't know" thing again?

Shroob

Sup?
......By whose judgement? Terry exists and Fatal Fury is 100% a dead franchise. The last Fatal Fury came out in 1995, he's pretty much kept alive via King of Fighters, which isn't even 'his' game.

And like, Ninja Gaiden is considered an iconic NES game, hell, it's considered iconic enough to be on the NES Mini. Not only that, but there's a rumor of an HD collection coming next March.

CrenTIScO

Smash Apprentice
Oh, nice. I recently added a character.

I hope that the description for Brian is good enough. ...I might need a better picture. First one I uploaded didn't translate well as is. Made an error when I used the erasure tool in Paint.net. Any tips for the images? Like the specific proportions of the image(as in what height and width)?
Thanks for adding someone! I'm asking the developer, but most PNGs should be fine. In my experience the crop tool has worked perfectly for all the characters I've uploaded.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Hi, I have a question

I have a gut feeling that we'll get an indie fighter (Not counting Steve, who shed his indie shell and ascended to the big leagues via Microsoft). It'd be a major statement for an indie to be able to duke it out with Nintendo's all-stars and allies, and Nintendo's been pretty friendly to indies in general as of late.

My money's on Reimu due to the Touhou Project being one of, if not the biggest indies around (i.e. Has an entire convention all to itself big), as well as the fact that it's a long-running Japanese indie. Seeing as all the indie representation so far are recent Western indies, perhaps Nintendo's looking for something different. It helps that it's owned solely by ZUN, so the rights should be pretty easy to get a hang of.

That being said, this is all a gut feeling. Said gut feeling will probably get me slammed, a scenario that would precede me suing my gut for all it's worth (Don't question it). But eh, I have a low bar of entry anyways. It's not like this is anything new for me. :drshrug:

(It should also be noted that Australia, while located in the Pacific Islands, is considered culturally Western. Generally, the West is considered to be Europe, the Americas, and Australia. Latin America and Eastern Europe are sometimes grouped apart, I think. I'll have to double-check that one, so don't quote me).

ZelDan

Smash Master
I always find it odd how much core gamers hate popular games.
I mean, some might hate them for genuine reasons or actually gave them a fair shake before deciding they dislike it. I'm sure some out there hate stuff solely for being popular, which is silly, but I'm sure that's not the case for all people.

popular stuff can still have flaws or not appeal to everybody.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Thanks for adding someone! I'm asking the developer, but most PNGs should be fine. In my experience the crop tool has worked perfectly for all the characters I've uploaded.
Ah. Maybe I should just take a screenshot to look at the ideal setup. Brian's image is a bit stretched.

Nonetheless, good options so far. Now if only poor Fulgore would get some love...

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
You're talking about BD2 and NMH3 being underwhelming because they're third party trailers, meanwhile asking for more Bayo 3 info.
Well yeah, because Bayo 3 is at least a pretty big game that we know literally nothing about. I don't consider BD2 and NMH3 to quite be of that caliber, and taken all together, would have been satisfying enough. But three hours and all we got was BD2 and NMH3... It just left me feeling empty. I'm sure I'm not the only one who felt that way, looking at the Nintendo side of things, at least.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
View attachment 288967

Well, Nintendo did update the direct archive recently, which usually points to something happening between now until the next 1-2 weeks.
Ehhhh.

Take the archive with a huge grain of salt. It's not the most trustworthy source of info, since it's been very, very wrong in the past.

I do think a partner showcase is coming this week though to keep the news train rolling, but the archive's proven itself shaky in the past.

D

Deleted member

Hi, I have a question

I'm going out on a limb and saying Cadence from Crypt of the NecroDancer sounds pretty likely for an Indie Character. It's possible Sakurai has wanted to incorporate a rhythm based moveset off of soundtracks, and with Cadence of Hyrule, this would be the best opportunity to do so.

Yeah it's far out there since the combat doesn't really look to be in line with Smash's, and incorporating a moveset based on soundtracks sounds like a huge collective nightmare since there's almost 1000 music pieces in Ultimate. However, if Sakurai can rework every stage to fit with Steve's moveset, maybe he could do the same for the songs with Cadence's moveset.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Hi, I have a question

I think an indie character will happen in Smash at some point whether it be this pass or the next game I think the most likely are:
-Frisk, They might not be in this pass but they have a decent shot at joining smash 6/ultimate deluxe or whatever
-Shovel Knight, Another one that probably won't be in the pass but at some point I could see him joining
-Cadence, Someone already mentioned her but Nintendo and the devs have been very friendly...
-Reimu, Touhou is a massive franchise in japan and has shaped anime culture online and defined the Shoot em up genre, Whether or not nintendo sees value in the series is entirely different
-Shantae, Shantae has a history on Nintendo and is consistently a fan favorite

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Then Again, Considering Ubisoft got bodied despite Helping out Nintendo heavily too, There's a Chance Koei Character might not even been picked (Heavily Considered, yes, but it's stiff competetion here). Koei has more in it's favor, but you know...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom