• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I've seen this before, and I'd like to know what track record this dude has. Because it's the first I've ever heard of them and "Sora is disconfirmed" is one hell of an opener.
Yeah. I went to the Era thread to see if someone could verify him or something, but I didn't found anything.

I just read some answers in the following pages about this guy's post, and judging by the reactions, they seemed to know MondoMega, also believing what he said, so I assumed this guy might have legit sources?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Just give it a few more years before Disney finds a way to buy Nintendo. That'll solve the problem!

What? Have you guys SEEN Disney's legal team? Those guys have gotten laws MADE, y'know...
Idk I doubt that

cause Nintendo signed a deal with Disney’s competitor, Universal, to do their theme park and no doubt Disney is PISSED about that

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

toonito

Smash Ace
While Dante has definitely a lot of material and possibilities for a moveset, that doesn't mean he will get everything he has in his games if he gets into Smash. I mean, Bayonetta also uses multiple weapons and she doesn't have any in Smash beyond her signature guns.

It will depend in how Sakurai decides to approach Dante, assuming he's in. Maybe he believes that his sword and his guns are enough to represent the basics of Dante (with a Smash moveset it's very difficult to cover everything he has), and he decides to focus in other things instead, like Devil Trigger, which would probably be the potential gimmick of Dante easier to translate into Smash.

I mean, in my headcanon it's pretty obvious. People always have talked about Dante and Bayonetta making a crossover, and with both being big hack n slash characters, it's a natural thing. Plus both characters were created by Kamiya.
The funny thing is that Bayo would probably be the dominant in their relationship, while there's a constant meme of Dante not knowing what is sex, which is funny when you think of Bayo's attitude and all lol

Also. Joker LITERALLY uses Rain Storm in Smash Ultimate. which is a Dante move, reinforcing my headcanon lmao. Bad quality gif incoming:

I don't really have headcanons for Smash characters but Dante & Bayo being Joker's "parents" is also one of my favorite ones that took off

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I just found this "Sakurai Answers 100 Questions" link in the Geno thread, I was reading all the questions (which are from different fans), found this one and then I shed a tear.

Q64: Mr. Sakurai, do you break girls’ hearts? Or do they break yours?

Sakurai: They break mine.

This is from the Brawl era, mind you. I don't know if this has been already brought up, but I just thought it would be funny to share this.
Other questions that caught my attention:

Q37: What games have you bought on the Wii Virtual Console?

Sakurai: Though It may not be too useful, “Donkey Kong”, “Mario Brothers”, “Solomon’s Key”, “Kid Icarus”, “The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past”, “Ninja Gaiden”, “Super Mario Brothers 2”, “Super Mario Brothers 3”, “Life Force”, “Dungeon Explorer”, “Moto Roader”, “Comix Zone”, “Ys I & II”, “Zanac”, “Glory of Heracles III”, “Fist of the North Star”, “Super Picross”, “The Adventure of Link”, etc.

Q36: Are you a member of Club Nintendo?

Sakurai: I am not, because I receive a lot of the software as gifts.

Q39: Which entries in the Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest series do you like?

Sakurai: Final Fantasy 3, and Dragon Quest 3. I remember those days.

Q58: I’ve fallen in love with a game designer. I know it’ll never work out, but still… What should I do? By the way, their initials are “S. M.”

Sakurai: Ah, it’s Shinji Mikami, isn’t it? You should give it up. Huh? It’s not him? Then, possibly, Shigeru Miyamoto!?

Q82: What is the first thing you do when you wake up?

Sakurai: I immediately think about breakfast. Incidentally, there’s a 7-Eleven next to my apartment.

:ultlink:: https://sourcegaming.info/2015/05/25/sakurai-answers-100-questions-from-fans/

Last edited:

Playstation Guy 1000

Smash Journeyman
For anyone curious, here's what the mii costume trailer looks like without the ESRB's policies that think kids can't handle being shown a name that has had blood on it while it's A-ok for them to gamble their parents monies on fifa cards.

it's kinda sad when esrb would want kids to gambling than seeing blood witch is safer than the former if I have to be honest here.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
About Sora, again:
If you take a look at the recent posts of HMK he is showing a lot of companies making super WEIRD looking toys of KH, literally putting naysayers on a laughable spot when they brag on the whole "muh disney would never -insert whatever here- with KH". It's so funny, but my god some of those toys are scary haha

SKX31

Smash Master
Restock Theory... Is this the successor to Amiibo theory now? Hope they can fill those shoes...
Amiibo theory may be dead... but its spirit lives on!
The craziest timeline would be something like the next restock being announced for October 31st... right in time for the LoL Worlds Grand Final.

3BitSaurus 3BitSaurus faints out of happiness, while significant portions of the Smash fanbase asks "Whyyyyy.".

Isn't there a law in Japan that literally makes it illegal for non Japanese Companies to own Japanese companies?
I'm going to have to look into this because SNK's owned by the Chinese browser / mobile game company 37 Games (primarily)... Found this:

Japan detailed an array of companies that will be subject to new rules restricting foreign investment, moving to protect industries it says are core to national security from the influence of foreign state interference.

The Foreign Exchange and Foreign Trade Act requires some foreign investors to report in advance when they plan to buy a more than 1 percent stake in the designated firms, versus a previous threshold of 10 percent. The steps add restrictions to investments in more than half the listed companies in the country, though a series of blanket exemptions apply for registered investors, including most financial and asset management firms.
The list announced on Friday groups companies into one of three categories: those exempt from the restrictions entirely, a group of around 500 companies operating in so-called core industries including nuclear power and defense, and a broader group of more than 1,500 companies in noncore industries including broadcasting and transport, subject to less stringent rules.

The law came into force on Friday with full implementation set to begin on June 7 after a 30-day transition period. Blue chips such as Toyota Motor Corp., Sony Corp. and SoftBank Group Corp. are part of the group operating in core sectors, while the likes of Nintendo Co. and Fanuc Corp. make the the broader, “noncore” list.
Nintendo would not - in the scenario Disney attempts to buy them - be subject to super-stringest rules, but the Japanese government would likely be eyeing that very carefully and intervening if they thought the buy-out was "too much". It's worth noting that JP Morgan Chase owns ca. 8 % of Nintendo's shares - Nintendo's shares are intentionally super-divided. Sony however, is in that "stringest" category, probably because its still a multi-media presence within Japan. SNK would probably not fall into either "stringest" or "non-core" categories.

Q82: What is the first thing you do when you wake up?

Sakurai: I immediately think about breakfast. Incidentally, there’s a 7-Eleven next to my apartment.

:ultlink:: https://sourcegaming.info/2015/05/25/sakurai-answers-100-questions-from-fans/
So that's why 7-11 is so important to Smash speculation! Now I need to get a slurpee. :4pacman:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan

So the guy that I think is said to have connections at Disney, went into more detail of Sora not being in. That Nintendo wanted Sora in Volume 2 but Disney unsurprisingly were being ***es.
I have to imagine that Nintendo got another character on Sora’s scale to make up for this. Sucks that Sora can’t get in though... atleast for now.

As for who I’d round out the roster with to get to 100 characters:

Fighters Pass 2:
Ryu Hayabusa
Mipha
Master Chief
Dante

Fighters Pass 3:
Ring Fit Adventurer
Crash Bandicoot
Leon Kennedy/Jill Valentine
Akira Howard

The Rest:
Doom Slayer
Sora
2B
Frisk
Commander Shepard
Chell
Ezio
Waluigi (Or Captain Toad if ATs are out)

I made Fighters Pass 3 its own section since I’m still holding out hope that we’ll get 4 final characters lol

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
About Sora, again:
I'm not sure if I understand the point here. Looking at the screenshot, the issue that's being said about Sora isn't that Disney is worried about Sora's image, the issue is that the licensing costs may be more then what Nintendo's willing to pay. Those toys looking bad don't change that issue, it just means they paid a lot of money for some bad looking toys.

Granted, I'm not saying the rumor is true as I don't know MondoMega's track record, but Sora being skipped over due to costs isn't something that's impossible to believe. Many of us have speculated on that being a potential roadblock for a long time, it's just a question of whether Nintendo and Disney could work out a deal.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Pretty sure the law protecting Japanese companies requires that the government sign off on acquisitions by foreign companies, not that they're outright outlawed.
Idk I doubt that

cause Nintendo signed a deal with Disney’s competitor, Universal, to do their theme park and no doubt Disney is PISSED about that
You don't need companies to like you if you have enough cash
Sakurai: Incidentally, there’s a 7-Eleven next to my apartment.
Well well well, looks like we've found your weak point Sakurai

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
The craziest timeline would be something like the next restock being announced for October 31st... right in time for the LoL Worlds Grand Final.

3BitSaurus 3BitSaurus faints out of happiness, while significant portions of the Smash fanbase asks "Whyyyyy.".
I mean, depending on who was chosen, significant portions of the LoL fanbase would ask "Whyyyyy."

Looking at you, Yasuo. ;)

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I mean, depending on who was chosen, significant portions of the LoL fanbase would ask "Whyyyyy."

Looking at you, Yasuo. ;)
Broke: getting pissed about Yasuo
Woke: getting pissed about Teemo
GALAXY BRAIN: getting pissed about Ekko

on God Ekko is a mid’s worst nightmare

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Idk I doubt that

I’m not too sure if that’s the reason. I think Disney is trying to consolidate the parks into solely having Disney IPs (besides something irreplaceable like Tower of Terror), it’s probably a reason they replaced The Great Movie Ride which featured movies from every major studio.

I just think it was Disney foolishly thinking that Sora is worth more than Steve, Cloud or Sonic. I love Sora & really want him in Smash, but I get why Nintendo walked away.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I’m not too sure if that’s the reason. I think Disney is trying to consolidate the parks into solely having Disney IPs (besides something irreplaceable like Tower of Terror), it’s probably a reason they replaced The Great Movie Ride which featured movies from every major studio.

I just think it was Disney foolishly thinking that Sora is worth more than Steve, Cloud or Sonic. I love Sora & really want him in Smash, but I get why Nintendo walked away.
Nooooo not the Great Movie Ride 😭

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Broke: getting pissed about Yasuo
Woke: getting pissed about Teemo
GALAXY BRAIN: getting pissed about Ekko

on God Ekko is a mid’s worst nightmare
Eh, tbh I don't think it's so bad. Skill floor is decently high, despite Ekko's popularity.

How would they react to Amumu? If we have to get a LOL rep, I want it to be the sad mummy boy.
Hard to say. But Amumu is decently popular in lower elo - to the point where some call him "the king of Bronze".

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
So pretty much, just wait for Amiibo restocks.
If the amiibo restock is an indicator for the next amiibo date, certainly! If we're counting the amiibo restock date on its own, just like min-min... imo... I think there'd be so many exceptions that the theory is probably dead at that point. But again, we will see.

7NATOR

Smash Master
It seems Sora might be too expensive that Nintendo is not willing to Pay (I Don't know if that's because of Sora himself, or because of all the OG Disney References in Kingdom Hearts, like Mickey, Donald, Goofy)

Do you guys feel this could be the same thing with Characters like Crash and Master Chief, especially since it seems Chief got no Costume, and i don't know if we'll get 2 Microsoft Characters in the Same pass. I do think Crash will appear, but I don't know as Costume or character....

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
It seems Sora might be too expensive that Nintendo is not willing to Pay (I Don't know if that's because of Sora himself, or because of all the OG Disney References in Kingdom Hearts, like Mickey, Donald, Goofy)

Do you guys feel this could be the same thing with Characters like Crash and Master Chief, especially since it seems Chief got no Costume, and i don't know if we'll get 2 Microsoft Characters in the Same pass. I do think Crash will appear, but I don't know as Costume or character....
Crash wouldn’t work as a Mii. Way I see it if he can’t be playable his next best option is a Spirit Event

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I remember finding the regular P1 Cloud amiibo a long time back. I had the P2 one, and gave it to my nephew. I prefer his design from the game I played(though not much of it). I never watched Advent Children, so.

Similar reason why I prefer the classic Wario amiibo. That's the only two I kind of directly went for in a specific way. I just had the regular FE Chrom, so I didn't get the new amiibo. Same with Daisy. I can't remember if Chrom has a slightly different outfit or not. Daisy looks more or less the same, just a different pose. I did however pick up Super Mario Mario, Super Smash Bros. Mario, Mario Silver Edition, and Mario Gold Edition. The latter two are clearly based upon his metal forms, so they felt worth it. I otherwise have like 2 of his 8-Bit forms. I also wish I grabbed a BOTW Link.

Flik

Smash Journeyman
Are you guys still accepting "perfect roster" (or rather "dream roster") posts? Here's mine, in no order:
Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden)
Adol Christin (Ys)
Geno (Super Mario RPG)
Sakura Shinguji (Sakura Wars)
Cinderace (Pokemon)
Isaac (Golden Sun)
Kazuma Kiryu (Yakuza)
Miriam (Bloodstained)
Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong Country)
Waluigi (Mario)
Gran/Djeeta & Lyria (Granblue Fantasy)
Alm & Celica (Fire Emblem)
Tifa Lockhart (Final Fantasy)
Lu Bu (Dynasty Warriors)
Alucard (Castlevania)
X (Megaman)
Captain Commando
Scorpion (Mortal Kombat)
Siegfried Schtauffen (Soulcalibur)
Crash Bandicoot
Kyo Kusanagi (King of Fighters)
Agnès Oblige (Bravely Default)
Kazuya Mishima (Tekken)
Bomberman

Phoenixio

Smash Apprentice
Well, Amiibo theory being dead is slightly vexxing, if only due to it giving some stability in the speculation field.
It's not 'dead', I feel like people jumped way too ahead of things.
Maybe take your time before posting two completely opposite opinions within 5 minutes?

People don't understand Amiibo theory anyways. It was never stated in the theory that every amiibo release/restock has to be accompanied by a fighter, or vice versa. There's just strong correlations between usual release time of both. There's obviously some variance, there might be exceptions, it might even be a pure coincidence because the cycles for amiibos usually take 3-4 months, same for fighters, and so currently they are mostly overlapped. But yeah if you were to make a scientific study on the thing, there's simply too little data to conclude much, and you'd be slapped in the face by any serious scientific journal. Which means: don't take it too seriously, it's a pattern, nothing more solid than that. Nintendo will release fighters and amiibo whenever they damn please.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
There's a difference between Disney approaching a company for a collab and a company approaching Disney for a collab. Disney is known to be controlling in deals. Look at the majority of the collabs they did with game companies. The disney related content in those were 99.9% of the time always time limited.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
There's a difference between Disney approaching a company for a collab and a company approaching Disney for a collab. Disney is known to be controlling in deals. Look at the majority of the collabs they did with game companies. The disney related content in those were 99.9% of the time always time limited.
Cries in WoFF

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
For the record, while we don’t necessarily have a track record for this dude who is claiming that info on Sora, I don’t exactly find it surprising.

Not only is Disney a multi-media company (and a multi-million dollar one at that), they’re one of the largest in the world. This goes beyond video games.

Think of the licensing costs Nintendo could face:

1) Sora
2) Any Disney characters that would have any potential to show up
3) the music, which, who even knows?

It’s just a mess. Sora would be arguably the biggest character not yet in Smash but I don’t think it’s all that “out there” for him to be beyond their reach financially.

It takes me back to the sports team analogy (everyone’s favorite!). If you’ve gotta sign 6 players within a certain amount of money, and one of them costs a great amount compared to the rest, it just might not seem like a great deal when the larger package would suffer.

I wouldn’t doubt it whatsoever.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Maybe take your time before posting two completely opposite opinions within 5 minutes?

People don't understand Amiibo theory anyways. It was never stated in the theory that every amiibo release/restock has to be accompanied by a fighter, or vice versa. There's just strong correlations between usual release time of both. There's obviously some variance, there might be exceptions, it might even be a pure coincidence because the cycles for amiibos usually take 3-4 months, same for fighters, and so currently they are mostly overlapped. But yeah if you were to make a scientific study on the thing, there's simply too little data to conclude much, and you'd be slapped in the face by any serious scientific journal. Which means: don't take it too seriously, it's a pattern, nothing more solid than that. Nintendo will release fighters and amiibo whenever they damn please.
We know

But making dumb theories is fun.

7NATOR

Smash Master
So I'm on Gamefaqs, and there is a topic talking about Sora

According to the topic, apparently Disney wanted Mickey when Nintendo approached about Sora. Disney considered a "Compromise" with Sora and Mickey with Bunch of stages and music and stuff, for like 2/3 of the Fighter Pass (Price of Pack). Nintendo didn't want that

According to the guy, the source saying this is the same one that leaked Disney having a massive layoff

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
There's just a ridiculous amount of factors to deal with when working with Disney. Even something like Nintendo's use of DLC characters for advertising and marketing would likely fall under a decent mount of the Mouse's scrutiny. It wouldn't surprise me in the least hypothetically that they may have determined that the money and number of hoopes to deal with getting Sora in might not worth it, especially given that a figure like Steve will already sell a lot Fighter's Passes himself.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Disney is incredibly stubborn because they want to ensure that all of their properties are handled accurately and does not conflict with their image or their properties' images. They want things to be accurately represented, and thus they want things done their way.

If Nintendo were to approach them for a collaboration, Disney would definitely want to call all of the shots and will breath down Nintendo's neck to ensure everything remains accurate. I'd also imagine there would be a hefty price tag. Surely Disney views themselves as a respect-worthy empire in the media industry, and that self-importance could lead to a scenario such as "you're approaching us, Disney, one of the most successful companies in existence, so yeah, no duh we're going to charge expensive fees for using our likeness."

I could also imagine that there would be a dispute between Nintendo and Disney over whether or not Disney characters should appear in Smash. Disney would definitely want that, but that's more hypothetical territory compared to the rest of my post.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I want to pose the question: If making the Smash Roster an even 100, your “perfect” roster, who would need to be there?
I already answered, but everyone else gave way more answers, so I guess I did it wrong.

78. Ryu Hayabusa [Ninja Gaiden]
79. Bill Rizer/Lance Bean [Contra]
80. Arthur [Ghosts ‘n Goblins]
81. Kunio/Riki [River City Ransom]
82. Bub/Bob [Bubble Bobble]
83. Nathan Spencer [Bionic Commando]
84. Rash/Zitz [Battletoads]
85. Shantae [Shantae]
86. SV-001 Metal Slug [Metal Slug]
87. Kazuma Kiryu [Yakuza]
88. Jill Valentine [Resident Evil]
89. Morrigan [Darkstalkers]