• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Does anyone else find it concerning that this is now the 3rd time in a row where Nintendo producers asked for the character and not something genuine
I don't because that we were told when the pass was introduced that Nintendo chose the characters. And even if we ended up getting Sakurai's genuine picks instead, I'd prolly be adverse to all of them instead of just like 1 or 2.

SKX31

Smash Master
Does anyone else find it concerning that this is now the 3rd time in a row where Nintendo producers asked for the character and not something genuine
TBF, Sakurai ****ing loves Minecraft. he showed a lot of his own creations in the message bit too. So there is genuine love coming from him too.

That said, in return Sakurai got the biggest luxury any employee could get: Free room to complain about his bosses on stream. That's the truest sign of being a VIP. :p

BernkastelWitch

Smash Ace
...Sorta? He's more or less a Microsoft character now. He doesn't give much credence for or against other indies since he's no longer one; We'd need Nintendo to deal with an indie developer for a full celebration. Still, a win's a win, no matter how big or small.

In other news I'm getting kinda paranoid that the Miis are gonna slaughter a bunch of indies, which is kinda sorta really problematic seeing as my most wanted is an indie. Hopefully he'll just stick to Western indies...
If it's gonna be indie mii skins, it's likely gonna be Western Indies or more Microsoft related skins. I doubt it'd be someone like Reimu getting Mii skinned in a Minecraft based video.

Of course Vault Boy was in Min Mins trailer so I guess that doesn't change things.

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
As stated earlier, I am totally fine and understand the Steve pick but here is the controversy right now that I think people have with the character:

Steve comes from a low-budget, low-quality series that turned into a massive hit. It isn't your traditional platforming gaming series but is rather more like Angry Birds, Fortnite, etc. It represents the divide and changes in the video fame series. You have people that prefer high quality console games that appear on Microsoft, Nintendo, and Sony consoles as well as PCs and then you have these games slew of games that started free for play on online websites or as phone apps that have taken off and are now more popular than the console games due to accessibility.

This shows the divide in Smash fanbase. Most fans, especially older generations, want to stick with classic platform characters like Crash, etc. However, those characters are not as well known in the mainstream market or by younger generations. I personally think MasterChief is bigger than Steve but I maybe totally wrong when you look at sells, etc. MasterChief comes from a higher quality franchise with tons of fan support in the West but isn't universally popular like Steve. My generation will likely scoff at the Steve pick but overall it was a good decision. Btw, I loved MissClickGamers response. I watched her, Aaronitmer, and PapaGenos responses. PapaGenos was who I went with live.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Sudden thought

what if Steve comes with a boss rush mode? What if the Ender Dragon in the base game code really WAS referring to THE Ender Dragon and not Rathalos?
I think it would be kind of hard to misinterpret that on the dataminers part since it would have some data string or something else indicative for them to conclude it's him.

I would love a boss rush mode though. Bosses as a whole were kind of underutilized aside from Classic Mode and WOL and even then there are some obvious missed opportunities with Classic Mode and some outright baffling decisions. Why does Roy fight Master Hand again when Ganon literally has two swords?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
People can say Steve isn't their cup of tea, and that's fine because not everyone will see Steve the same way. It gets a little ridiculous though when people try to rationalize why Steve, "Didn't deserve to get in over (Insert character)."

I get the disappointment, but I think people are letting their own bias influence their feelings too much. The franchise is iconic as heck, the moveset is clearly unique, and obviously a decent number of people legitimately wanted Steve. It's just that people feel the need to invalidate all of those things to convince themselves that, yes, everyone would be way happier with their characters instead.

D

Deleted member

The fact they had to make the building mechanic work for every stage in the game, during a pandemic no less, no wonder the wait for the reveal was so long...
I am excited to see how that will work with Palutena's Temple, the Great Cave Offensive, and Hyrule Temple.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I won't be able to see Saturday's presentation live, but here's hoping that the Mii costumes are relatively painless (a few minor Nintendo characters, maybe a premium Ori costume or some Rare-associated ones), rather than some kind of gut punch like the K. Rool costume in Smash 4 or the Heihachi costume in Ultimate

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
I won't be able to see Saturday's presentation live, but here's hoping that the Mii costumes are relatively painless (a few minor Nintendo characters, maybe a premium Ori costume or some Rare-associated ones), rather than some kind of gut punch like the K. Rool costume in Smash 4 or the Heihachi costume in Ultimate
Watch us get a Master Chief costume.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Anyway I had a feeling that Sakurai and his team would have lots of trouble trying to get Steve to work. I also knew he would look out of place and that he'd look like a cardboard box. He even looks out of place on the mural like they photo shopped him onto it. It's actually pretty hilarious.

So there you go. Have some negativity. Free of charge. No take backs. Let it stain your "pure and clean" mind like a turd that flew right into your open cranium and let it slump down onto your membrane like a couch potato.
I just wasted five minutes for the banner to scroll on the website, and missed Steve.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

Time to go looking for the Smash Bros seed

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
My costume predictions:

• Master Chief (regular)
  • Gil from Tower of Druaga (regular)
  • Monster Hunter (regular, not the Rathalos armor)
  • Kyoko from River City Girls (regular)
  • Ori (PreMiium, comes with Light of Nibel)

and if there’s a sixth costume:

• Hollow Knight (PreMiium with Sealed Vessel remix, soft confirming the LoL rep happening later)

yeah. TWO PreMiiums. Go big or go home

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Lara Croft has the issue of her franchise not being huge in Japan. Now, its not that Tomb Raider doesn't do decent in Japan (Rise of the Tomb Raider sold like 21,000 copies in its first couple of weeks in Japan) but its not huge in Japan. Though, maybe Lara Croft could be a reverse-Hero situation. Where Nintendo and Square attempt to put more attention on the Tomb Raider IP in Japan. Idk.
Don't forget the sales of the movies. My quick internet scan showed a million made in Japan, which seems pretty solid. There are 3 movies, going on 4, which makes the media presence even stronger.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Okay, but what the hell is Daisy and what does it has to with Shante, especially with the moral art?
Could she easily go anywhere else?
The Daisy theory refer to Daisy's pose on the mural of characters. Basically her pose (direction of her eyes, face, and body) looks like she's interacting with a character who some think could most likely be Shantae.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
That said, in return Sakurai got the biggest luxury any employee could get: Free room to complain about his bosses on stream. That's the truest sign of being a VIP. :p
I havnt seen yet if Japan got the same announcement. Honestly, I took his entire direct complaining about "Nintendo" wanting too much to be a substitute for "You Americans" want too much, it takes more than you realize. Of course Nintendo knows what goes into development, they finance it.

D

Deleted member

Time to go looking for the Smash Bros seed
I remember when they found the Minecraft title seed.
Also this is neat.

7NATOR

Smash Master
I think Steve Proves that Miiverse was onto Something. I mean Considering that Sakurai actually used Miiverse, it's likely he took notice of the huge amount of Steve Fan Support and Such.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Let's just remember, there's six costumes from last game still missing, and they only have five chances for them to pop up. As far as bets go, I believe the Monster Hunter armours will be revealed this Monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom