• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
There doesn't seem to be much hope for Phoenix Wright getting into Smash anymore, apparently Capcom's letting Ace Attorney die.
What context is there to this? As far as I know, this is some gimmick account that wouldn't really have any authority on what's going on with AA.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
There doesn't seem to be much hope for Phoenix Wright getting into Smash anymore, apparently Capcom's letting Ace Attorney die.
I vaguely remember the writers for 6 saying that they wrote that game with the intention of being a potential ending for the series as a whole so technically it wouldn't be dead. It would be complete like the Mother series

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I mean realistically Capcom has put various series in hibernation before (ask the Mega Man fans) and with the portable market largely gone outside mobile games, they may be trying to decide what form various smaller franchises should be taking. Given that Street Fighter hasn't reached the same full renaissance that Monster Hunter, Resident Evil, & Devil May Cry have, it I suspect that and other bigger IP's are likely getting the big focus right now.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
In unrelated news, we got an update on one of Level-5's upcoming titles:

Say, weird question, but does anybody know the full extent of Level-5's "management problems"? I've heard the term thrown around a bunch, but I haven't seen anybody elaborate on it. Granted, I doubt it would affect their chances of appearing in Smash, but I just wanted to make sure.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Ace Attorney is dead in the sense that Yamazaki left and Capcom has no idea what to do with the IP since no one is around to carry the mantle. A similair thing happened after Apollo Justice released and Takumi left which caused the mainline series to go into hibernation for like 6 or so years. I expect a similair thing to happen where we won't see Ace Attorney for a long while until someone big at Capcom shows interest in the series again. Just don't be surprised if this goes on for longer than usual, outside of crossovers and ports Mega Man stayed dead for like 8 years.

Now...does this mean Phoenix Wright's chances of appearing in Smash are also dead? Nope, we've seen multiple dead third party characters appear in Smash despite their inactivity, including Mega Man who I mentioned earlier. I don't see Ace Attorney's inactivity as a big shot against Wright, if anything I see Dante and Monster Hunter as the bigger threats to Wright than the current status of his own series.

EmperorCoal

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-5396-2021-6143
There's only one way to spark this thread up again

Let's talk about a new Fire Emblem character
Back to Oliver?
Or gatekeeper?
If we feel like going out of our comfort zones we can talk about someone a little more niche like say Lyn or even Byleth.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I mean, Takumi's still working there.
I don't know how I missed that lol
I didn't see Takumi's name in the credits of any of the mainline AA games after AJ so I figured he wasn't there anymore.

Still, I don't see us getting a new AA game for a while, and I've already said this doesn't impact Smash regardless of the series status.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I vaguely remember the writers for 6 saying that they wrote that game with the intention of being a potential ending for the series as a whole so technically it wouldn't be dead. It would be complete like the Mother series
I never really got this sentiment. A death from old age is the result of a complete life, but it's still a death.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
There's only one way to spark this thread up again

Let's talk about a new Fire Emblem character
Or we can discuss whether or not Geno will be FP7. :p
Or we can even talk about Pokemon!
We literally just got reasons to talk about Dixie Kong (DKC2 on NSO), Bandanna Dee (Kirby Fighters 2), and Impa (Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity), but this thread wants to return to fighting about the same old same old lol.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I mean realistically Capcom has been various series in hibernation before (ask the Mega Man fans) and with the portable market largely gone outside mobile games, they may be trying to decide what form various smaller franchises should be taking. Given that Street Fighter hasn't reached the same full renaissance that Monster Hunter, Resident Evil, & Devil May Cry have, it I suspect that and other bigger IP's are likely getting the big focus right now.
That could be true. I'd imagine they'd keep Monster Hunter, Devil May Cry, and Resident Evil going, and beyond that, I would forsee them trying to pick Street Fighter and Mega Man back up. Street Fighter will take a bit, as it will require Street Fighter 6 to be good without a redemption arc that doesn't completley save the game's reception, and Mega Man could go either slow burn, or a ton at once. Hopefully the latter happens, as iirc Mega Man's biggest issue was having like, 5 or so subseries out on the market at once. The next game will probably be for the Mega Man X series since I think that was stated to be in the works already, and I can see it being higher in budget than Mega Man 11 out of necessity, and because Mega Man 11 did pretty well (I think). After that, my bets are on Mega Man 12, and if they're feeling good about the series going forward by then, we may see a Mega Man Legends collection (perhaps including The Misadventures of Tron Bonne) followed by a Mega Man Legends 3 if that does well.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Now...does this mean Phoenix Wright's chances of appearing in Smash are also dead? Nope, we've seen multiple dead third party characters appear in Smash despite their inactivity, including Mega Man who I mentioned earlier. I don't see Ace Attorney's inactivity as a big shot against Wright, if anything I see Dante and Monster Hunter as the bigger threats to Wright than the current status of his own series.
I think the problem there is that the likes of Mega Man and Banjo-Kazooie got in due to being two of the biggest fan requests of all time. I'm just not sure how Phoenix really stacks up that regard.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
We literally just got reasons to talk about Dixie Kong (DKC2 on NSO), Bandanna Dee (Kirby Fighters 2), and Impa (Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity), but this thread wants to return to fighting about the same old same old lol.
They were kidding.

Though I'm not sure what can be said about those three that we haven't already just said.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I mean, what else are we supposed to talk about?

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
That could be true. I'd imagine they'd keep Monster Hunter, Devil May Cry, and Resident Evil going, and beyond that, I would forsee them trying to pick Street Fighter and Mega Man back up. Street Fighter will take a bit, as it will require Street Fighter 6 to be good without a redemption arc that doesn't completley save the game's reception, and Mega Man could go either slow burn, or a ton at once. Hopefully the latter happens, as iirc Mega Man's biggest issue was having like, 5 or so subseries out on the market at once. The next game will probably be for the Mega Man X series since I think that was stated to be in the works already, and I can see it being higher in budget than Mega Man 11 out of necessity, and because Mega Man 11 did pretty well (I think). After that, my bets are on Mega Man 12, and if they're feeling good about the series going forward by then, we may see a Mega Man Legends collection (perhaps including The Misadventures of Tron Bonne) followed by a Mega Man Legends 3 if that does well.
The various MM collections in the past couple years all feel like Capcom putting out less expensive projects while also testing the market to see interest in further follow-ups to them. It would not surprise me to see at least one or more of the three remaining franchises (Legends, Battle Network, Star Force) get similar ones put out in the next two years.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I think the problem there is that the likes of Mega Man and Banjo-Kazooie got in due to being two of the biggest fan requests of all time. I'm just not sure how Phoenix really stacks up that regard.
I think you're largely underestimating how popular he is among the Nintendo fanbase, he's pretty much an icon of the DS (which is literally their best selling system among both consoles and handhelds, far outpacing the NES and especially the N64, the consoles that Mega Man and Banjo are most famous for) and is seen as an honorary Nintendo character just like those two were in some circles.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
The various MM collections in the past couple years all feel like Capcom putting out less expensive projects while also testing the market to see interest in further follow-ups to them. It would not surprise me to see at least one or more of the three remaining franchises (Legends, Battle Network, Star Force) get similar ones put out in the next two years.
Battle Network huh...On the one hand, I could see them porting it for the fans of the series, but on the other hand, the series is finished, so there's just as good a chance that they'll leave it alone since they can't likely continue it. I mean, unless they decided to make a new story that focuses on new characters or something.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
That is true, but Phoenix is a popular fan request from what I've seen. Every fan poll I've seen had him doing well, and I'm sure he did well in the ballot as well, so Sakurai and Nintendo would know about his popularity as well. The only problem is that Monster Hunter is also a popular fan request, wherever Phoenix polled Monster Hunter wasn't that far off behind. Dante's popularity sadly nurtured too late to impact FP2's selection. But regardless, all these characters have things in their favor besides popularity, including Phoenix.

I can see any of the three getting in for a myriad of different reasons, but it's hard to truly decide which one is more likely. IMO if I had to rank the three it would be Monster Hunter > Dante ≥ Phoenix Wright. I'd argue there isn't a huge gap between the characters that justify underestimating them. It's not a Ryza/Ryu Hayabusa situation where yes, one is obviously and clearly standing on stronger grounds compared to the other. We'll just have to wait and see when it comes to Capcom.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I just kinda view characters like Phoenix Wright and Rayman in the same light

As in, they seem to have notable Smash followings...but I'm just not sure if they're notable enough to be noticed by Nintendo/Sakurai, as Ridley, Mega Man, Banjo, K. Rool, etc were.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I honestly think these 3 are all the most deserving to get into Smash. Along with Isaac.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Spent the morning watching The Angry Beavers, my favorite childhood show. Anything I missed in my absence aside from Age of Calamity?

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I honestly think these 3 are all the most deserving to get into Smash. Along with Isaac.
All out of them deserve it. Most likely gonna be the next big reps for Smash 6 if they don’t make this one. That’s something to hold onto

Put her in Smash and the rest of the cast just became irrelevant. :4pacman:
id rather her over Byleth. She makes the Dark Knight her *****

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom