• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Hey i'll gladly (well maybe not gladly but still) eat my **** sandwich if it turns out Spirits were the death sentence for any character in the base game. Not saying that they'll absolutely be in but I at least have a reason for believing it's not a hard deconfirm.
I can't say it's a hard deconfirm either, I just think some aboard the "Spirits don't deconfirm" train of thought will distance themselves from it if and when it proves contrary to what we get.

Not to start bringing leakers into the this, but that's basically how Vergeben's detractors act about everything he says.

When he said Simon was going to happen: "He's a legend, anyone could've guessed that" (despite the character not being as wanted as others). When he called Base Goku and Vegeta: "FighterZ was already filled with different Gokus and Vegetas" (even though he mentioned a month prior to the game's release, not to mention everyone was hella angry when they found their data in a datamine). When he called Groh in SCVI: "I can call concepts too" (do I even have to point out all the flaws in that argument?). People have to be revisionist and think everything goes their way despite being obvious that things don't work likee that.

But moving on to Smash itself, there's nothing I have to be revisionist about. I stand when I say everyone will be a third-party and there's hardly any room for that to fail, and if it does, well, I'll just move on. Most things people have claimed about Smash go downhill eventually. It happened with Ridley, King K. Rool, Incineroar, Hero, Banjo, and even just the Fighters Pass in general (anyone here remembers when people thought the whole line-up would be just a bunch of promotional characters?); and because of that, I know my claims aren't immune to being wrong.
Oh man, I can't belieeeeeeve how much revisionism there's been in regards to Simon. Him and Cloud, it's ridiculous. Prior to Vergeben, Simon was seen as, at best, a dark horse. So many more people were giving Bomberman the odds, and even he wasn't like... topping the expectation lists.

Actually, Bayonetta too, but in the opposite sense. Now everyone goes on about how Nintendo rigged the ballot towards someone nobody wanted and all that. But if you go back, she was a regular staple of top tens for exit polls. It's just that she was divisive, scapegoated, and looked upon with disdain by the competitive crowd, all of which clouded how she was a popular choice - even if not the most popular choice. Inkling as well, to some degree. Based on the entire Ultimate speculation cycle, you never would suspect that going into this, she was a top five, maybe top three popularity pick.

But as to your point, I don't deny the things I was off the mark about either - I didn't think Ultimate would be such a distinct iteration, nor did I ever in a million years anticipate characters like Young Link and Pichu returning. But, truthfully, I think a lot of the revisionism stems from a genuine distorted memory. The exception might be when a leaker gets invoked, because people love trying to discredit them, but I think most of it is an innocuous if incorrect recollection of events, not necessarily to create a narrative. Like Isaac and Ashley basically swapped from longshot to frontrunner (and vice versa) halfway through the wait to release, but retrospectively only the former is seen as the frontrunner, and only the latter as the longshot.

You know, it's funny how the pendulum swings. I remember during the Smash 4 DLC there was a lot of crowing about how "we don't need any more Nintendo characters, all the important ones are in, the third party DLC is fine." When it was initially announced that Nintendo was involved in picking the characters, people feared it would be all first party advertisements. Now I'm noticing more resentment over the inevitability of the DLC being all third party. I know that's not necessarily the same people complaining, and I would wager it's because the Nintendo newcomer list was so much smaller in Ultimate (unless you were a diehard K. Rool/Ridley fan you didn't have a lot to chew on), but I am slowly but surely seeing more pushback against guest characters despite them initially being so exciting. I think the novelty has worn off for a lot of people.

But you're 100% right. I feel like three out of five characters in, some things are pretty safe to call, and I think your assessment rings true.
The key is always balance. With the pass, there isn't any in the first/third-party sense, and that's why it's beginning to wear a little thin. Just a little though. It'll be hard for the complaints regarding an overabundance of third-parties to really take over, given the pool of Nintendo hopefuls keeps draining while the third-parties just seem to get swapped out with new favourites. Especially since the third-parties are at a greater risk of being cycled out going forward.

However I totally get why Nintendo is relying on third-parties. They've basically played almost all if not all their aces at this point, but there are still many waves to be made with third-party reveals. The writing has been on the wall since at least Smash 4.

Speaking of, I don't remember when people were maligning Nintendo additions during the DLC phase, given choices like K. Rool, Isaac, Wolf and Inkling were very popular. I do recall the observation of "there's an official fan poll being conducted and we haven't gotten a single fan-favourite Nintendo newcomer yet". This is back when we'd no idea there'd only be a sole "ballot choice" for DLC.

Last edited:

OrpheusTelos

Smash Lord
Talking of Resident Evil, the more I look into it the more I think Chris might be the most slept on choice.

Technically Leon and Jill both have stronger Nintendo roots with Leon's game being the Gamecube's darling crown jewel and Jill being the protagonist on the surprisingly successful 3DS game, but Chris seems to be the overall main protagonist to me what with Jill making her last appearance two games ago, and Leon being more the star of his own story within that world.

Chris is there in Resident Evil 1, he is the main reason for both Jill and Claire's arcs("Gotta find Chris"), a lot of the central conflict was between him and series villain Albert Wesker, has major leading roles in Resident Evil 5 and 6 and he's even the one chosen to link the seemingly stand alone Resident Evil 7 to the main story. That's not including his appearances in other Resident Evil franchises.

I see a lot of support for Leon and Jill but not much for ol' Fists of Fun Chris Redfield and I'm not sure why...
I like Chris and wouldn't mind seeing him in Smash, but compared to Jill or Leon he's definitely the least interesting out of the three. Hell I'd even argue that his sister Claire is a more interesting character despite being less prevalent. It also doesn't help that he's more associated with the action-heavy Resi games such as 5 and 6, and while those games are fine pieces of entertainment (at least for 5, can't speak for 6), most fans would prefer the older survival horror games be prioritized in terms of representation. I still think the best case scenario would be Jill, Leon, Chris, and Claire as alts with their REmake/RE2 designs. I don't think proportions would be that much of a problem since RE1 Chris ain't that much of a beefcake compared to his RE5 counterpart and Smash has taken creative liberties with character height before, but I can understand the animation concerns due to the vastly different personalities
Yeah, some people have suggested that (though some have doubts about their body types not fitting well). The survival horror mechanics could be unique.

But I meant other stuff too - a transforming stage? Is there any location that could reference multiple RE games? Other tyrants besides Nemesis? Would Jill or Leon have some special "battle end" effect or animation, like Joker?

I don't know if I'm able to get the idea across well enough, but... what would Jill or Leon bring besides... the basic stuff we know all DLCs will bring?
As far as locations go, Raccoon City is very prominent location in the original trilogy (moreso RE2 and RE3) and could have various references to those games. Plus a burning city really isn't something that's been done in Smash before, so at the very least it'd make for a unique stage. Aside from Nemesis, I think any tyrant that isn't too explicit is fair game. Mr. X and T-A.L.O.S. could definitely work as is, though some such as T-002 might need to be toned down a bit to fit E10 standards. The issue with tyrants is that a lot of them are naked humanoid creatures with a ton of body horror elements, and I can't really see that flying in Smash. Nemesis is about as far as I see them pushing things in terms of grotesqueness, and even then he isn't that much worse than some of the Castlevania monsters imo. I'm almost certain Resident Evil will get some sort of special treatment if it came to Smash. All the DLC characters so far have gotten a little extra something and I doubt RE would be an exception

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
The key is always balance. With the pass, there isn't any in the first/third-party sense, and that's why it's beginning to wear a little thin. Just a little though. It'll be hard for the complaints regarding an overabundance of third-parties to really take over, given the pool of Nintendo hopefuls keeps draining while the third-parties just seem to get swapped out with new favourites. Especially since the third-parties are at a greater risk of being cycled out going forward.

However I totally get why Nintendo is relying on third-parties. They've basically played almost all if not all their aces at this point, but there are still many waves to be made with third-party reveals. The writing has been on the wall since at least Smash 4.

Speaking of, I don't remember when people were maligning Nintendo additions during the DLC phase, given choices like K. Rool, Isaac, Wolf and Inkling were very popular. I do recall the observation of "there's an official fan poll being conducted and we haven't gotten a single fan-favourite Nintendo newcomer yet". This is back when we'd no idea there'd only be a sole "ballot choice" for DLC.
It wasn't super pronounced, but I definitely remember people looking down on characters like K. Rool, at least, saying he would never get in if he didn't get in after four games, and that Ryu/Cloud were obviously better and smarter picks and the "vocal minority" didn't matter.

And yeah, I've basically accepted the third party gravy chain, there's no point swimming against that tide. I feel like Banjo-Kazooie on the Fighters Pass was a choice to keep the peace among the diehard Nintendo Smash crowd, since he's basically a Nintendo character as far as old fogeys like us are concerned. The last two will shock some people when they aren't "fan favorites" like they might have predicted post-Banjo.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
The last two will shock some people when they aren't "fan favorites" like they might have predicted post-Banjo.
The next two will be neither common fan requests, third-party, nor promotions for an upcoming/recent game.

Maximum unexpected.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Question for y'all. If the last two are indeed unhyped/anti-climatic picks if every end reveal is to go (Brawl::olimar:, Sm4sh::4shulk:Ultimate (Base)::ultken::ultincineroar:) by who do you see fitting that bill?

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Question for y'all. If the last two are indeed unhyped/anti-climatic picks if every end reveal is to go (Brawl::olimar:, Sm4sh::4shulk:Ultimate (Base)::ultken::ultincineroar:) by who do you see fitting that bill?
Byleth/Edelgard and the Sword/Shield starters. You can't go more anticlimatic and anti-hype-inducing as that.

KatKit

Smash Lord
Ending the pass with a Style Savvy rep and the Astral Chain twins would literally be the hypest thing for me, but I imagine that making the general Smash population very salty.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
I don't think a new Kirby character is necessary. It's a mediocre C-list franchise with its main characters already in the roster.
Yup, That's a C-Tier Character alright.

Don't get me wrong, FE has found massive success in the Mobile sphere, but Kirby is far above the level of stuff like Star Fox or F-Zero considering how it is one of the most consistently released IPs in Nintendo's library.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It wasn't super pronounced, but I definitely remember people looking down on characters like K. Rool, at least, saying he would never get in if he didn't get in after four games, and that Ryu/Cloud were obviously better and smarter picks and the "vocal minority" didn't matter.
Mmm, yeahhhhh, but I would say that kind of behaviour is more symptomatic of people just defending whatever winds up on the roster at any given time rather than an anti-Nintendo sentiment being contained solely in a DLC phase abundant in everything but Nintendo newcomers. Especially popular ones. Let's not forget that Ryu and Cloud were not conventional nor widely embraced choices prior to their inclusions. You can bet if we had got K. Rool instead of Cloud people would've been saying "well, obviously - K. Rool is popular, this is a ballot, and Cloud barely has anything to do with Nintendo".

Whoever gets included will have people justifying that choice over others. Look at Piranha Plant.

And again, that didn't really stop several Nintendo characters from being among the most requested of that era. If you look at that massive exit poll with 40k votes, seven of the top ten are Nintendo characters.

And yeah, I've basically accepted the third party gravy chain, there's no point swimming against that tide. I feel like Banjo-Kazooie on the Fighters Pass was a choice to keep the peace among the diehard Nintendo Smash crowd, since he's basically a Nintendo character as far as old fogey like us are concerned. The last two will shock some people when they aren't "fan favorites" like they might have predicted post-Banjo.
Well keep in mind that even though the ratio keeps tipping more towards third-parties, after the pass concludes, assuming all five are third-parties, the Nintendo newcomers will still boast the higher count. Plus people really against third-parties have the option to pass on five of them. And that's without counting how they prioritized bringing back the cut vets, all but one being first-party.

Though in terms of new original movesets, the third-parties will eke ahead by one. The tide is changing. Though if the sea change has to happen at any point, after almost all the long-time Nintendo requests have been added is as good a time as any.

Last edited:

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
Undertale did come out longer than either. But Cave Story is practically forgotten nowadays and Shantae is really niche (in addition to already being deconfirmed). Undertale is also HUGE in Japan whereas both Shantae and Cave Story are less popular than 2Hou is here (which of itself is extremely niche).
That extremely niche indie happens to consistently trump Sans and especially Frisk in sincere requests within the Smash fandom, arguably ever since the ballot started. On top of being the hands down most requested 3rd party female (outside of currently 2B in Japan) ever since Bayonetta was revealed. Every large unofficial ballot test spanning to just before Banjo's reveal shows that she has staying power and just keeps climbing.

Dismissing Shantae because of Undertale would be like dismissing Banjo and Kazooie because of Crash Bandicoot. (A significantly more iconic and relevant 90's platformer character) The only real edge he had against Crash was being more requested by the Smash fandom. Yet, that edge has proven to have made the difference. That edge is even sharper for Shantae against other indies. (Hence why the first thing most supporters of other indies do is start mudslinging this character as "inferior" or niche.)

She's by no means a lock and I do believe spirits are off the table for the Fighter Pass. Yet, I think if indies were considered, Shantae would definitely have a serious shot. More than what I bet many would care to give credit for.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Well keep in mind that even though the ratio keeps tipping more towards third-parties, after the pass concludes, assuming all five are third-parties, the Nintendo newcomers will still boast the higher count. Plus people really against third-parties have the option to pass on five of them. And that's without counting how they prioritized bringing back the cut vets, all but one being first-party.

Though in terms of new original movesets, the third-parties will eke ahead by one. The tide is changing. Though if the sea change has to happen at any point, after almost all the long-time Nintendo requests have been added is as good a time as any.
I think base games going forward will still be mostly first party characters with a drop of third parties. That won't change. Nintendo will always have an interest in using the game partially to promote their own titles and characters.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
That extremely niche indie happens to consistently trump Sans and especially Frisk in sincere requests within the Smash fandom, arguably ever since the ballot started. On top of being the hands down most requested 3rd party female (outside of currently 2B in Japan) ever since Bayonetta was revealed. Every large unofficial ballot test spanning to just before Banjo's reveal shows that she has staying power and just keeps climbing.

Dismissing Shantae because of Undertale would be like dismissing Banjo and Kazooie because of Crash Bandicoot. (A significantly more iconic and relevant 90's platformer character) The only real edge he had against Crash was being more requested by the Smash fandom. Yet, that edge has proven to have made the difference. That edge is even sharper for Shantae against other indies. (Hence why the first thing most supporters of other indies do is start mudslinging this character as "inferior" or niche.)

She's by no means a lock and I do believe spirits are off the table for the Fighter Pass. Yet, I think if indies were considered, Shantae would definitely have a serious shot. More than what I bet many would care to give credit for.
Shantae is definitely popular and has a shot, but I wouldn’t cast Undertale aside, either. A lot of people still like Sans, Papyrus, Frisk, and the others, even ignoring memes.

Heck it and Deltarune have been showcased in the main Nintendo Directs instead of with other indies, and have a couple of video playthroughs on their channel like others do. It’s also very popular as well. Yet some people bring up fanmade rules like “Nintendo history” against Undertale (not just as an opinion) as if Sakurai has said anything relating to that regarding his criteria except for considering a Nintendo appearance as a courtesy. I can understand using Nintendo in an argument if they give a game attention and seem to like it, but it’s not like other stuff is barred from entry because “yeah Nintendo likes it but it hasn’t been on their systems for over ten years” as if that reason hasn’t already been thrown in the trash and burned.

Last edited:

MeteoRain

Smash Journeyman
Shantae is definitely popular and has a shot, but I wouldn’t cast Undertale aside, either. A lot of people still like Sans, Papyrus, Frisk, and the others, even ignoring memes.
Nah, I wouldn't dare dismiss Undertale as a possibility. Sans does sit as the most requested (Or is it predicted?) indie in Japan's Smash fandom. On top of being quite the craze during the ballot.

Heck it and Deltarune have been showcased in the main Nintendo Directs instead of with other indies, and have a couple of video playthroughs on their channel like others do. It’s also very popular as well. Yet some people bring up fanmade rules like “Nintendo history” against Undertale (not just as an opinion) as if Sakurai has said anything relating to that regarding his criteria except for considering a Nintendo appearance as a courtesy. I can understand using Nintendo in an argument if they give a game attention and seem to like it, but it’s not like other stuff is barred from entry because “yeah Nintendo likes it but it hasn’t been on their systems for over ten years” as if that reason hasn’t already been thrown in the trash and burned.
I've never said or implied anything about "Nintendo history". I'm personally with you on that poor excuse. That logic was destroyed with Cloud and a dead horse beaten by Joker.

It's why I stated Banjo's only edge on Crash was Smash requests.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Nah, I wouldn't dare dismiss Undertale as a possibility. Sans does sit as the most requested (Or is it predicted?) indie in Japan's Smash fandom. On top of being quite the craze during the ballot.
Undertale came out in the last month of the Smash Ballot. I seriously doubt many people were voting for Undertale characters.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Yeah I don’t expect Undertale to get in because of the ballot; if it gets in it’s gonna be because of fan demand they’ve seen since its release maybe from twitter and whatnot or Nintendo and Sakurai may just choose it.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well between Undertale and Shantae, I would give the edge to the former. Shantae's inclusion rested largely on the ballot, because otherwise the route to inclusion, through recent diehard demand, sees her below several alternatives. However, Shovel Knight outclassed her during the ballot and wound up with the bigger role for it. She really can't rely on the prestige or stature of her series, because it doesn't have very much.

Undertale's Smash popularity seems sporadic and partially tongue-in-cheek, not in a way totally dissimilar to Steve, so it's difficult to gauge genuine volume, but outside of Smash the series clearly resonates loudly and across all the pertinent regions. Again, sort of like Steve. Still, I wouldn't say its chances are good... just better than Shantae's.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Undertale's Smash popularity seems sporadic and partially tongue-in-cheek, not in a way totally dissimilar to Steve, so it’s difficult to gauge genuine volume.
I’m sure there’s people that seem kinda rude and treat them only as memes, like fake fans on 4chan, but most supporters and popularity I’ve seen are genuine, like that Steve animated moveset video with a very high like count. I guess “partially tongue-in-cheek” could still be used, but it seems insignificant enough to not matter, since others could be treated the same way especially with even big fan-wants we all know getting memed to death even before their inclusions. Steve was wanted even in Smash 4 days like on Miiverse.

Though I haven’t seen as much Undertale Smash-related stuff, but there are some genuine moveset videos with decent likes and of course the fans on this site and elsewhere.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I’m sure there’s people that seem kinda rude and treat them only as memes, like fake fans on 4chan, but most supporters and popularity I’ve seen are genuine, like that Steve animated moveset video with a very high like count. I guess “partially tongue-in-cheek” could still be used, but it seems insignificant enough to not matter, since others could be treated the same way especially with even big fan-wants we all know getting memed to death even before their inclusions. Steve was wanted even in Smash 4 days like on Miiverse.

Though I haven’t seen as much Undertale Smash-related stuff, but there are some genuine moveset videos with decent likes and of course the fans on this site and elsewhere.
Steve had the benefit of Vergeben legitimizing the support. With less of a stigma, it helped bring the genuine fans out of the woodwork. Beforehand it seemed a muddy affair anywhere that wasn't dedicated solely to Steve himself. To me at least. That's what I was drawing my comparison from.

Undertale hasn't really had that moment, so past a thread dedicated to Undertale representation, it's difficult to hone in on what exactly lies past the memes in terms of volume.

Though frankly I don't think either fanbase is large enough to get in on that basis. It would obviously be due to the impact of the games.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
So what exactly does it mean to be a "lock"? Just extremely likely to be included?
More or less. I think the only character in Smash Ultimate that could ever be reliably considered a lock was the Inklings, though I'll include Isabelle if I'm being generous, only her implementation (semi-clone) was unlikely.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
So what exactly does it mean to be a "lock"? Just extremely likely to be included?
Pretty much yes, I think the only character you could really have considered a "lock" from the start where Inklings.

You could probably put Isabelle and Ken in there too, though people where iffy on the former despite how much Nintendo promoted her and the latter didn't really become apparent until the whole Echo Fighter concept was first introduced. (Not to mention him getting leaked with a screenshot as well)

Beyond those, I don't think there is really any character that was a definite "lock" though.

Last edited:

ze9

Smash Ace
As much as I'd love Dixie, if the choice for DLC has to boil down to promotional characters VS 3rd party characters, I think we live in the good timeline.

Undertale getting in Smash I think would be a very big deal, that game is crazy popular and beloved. It also shares a lot of DNA with Mother, a Nintendo series. I'm not sure they'll go in that direction, but if we get an indie series, I'm pretty sure it will be Undertale.
And come on, who doesn't want to play Smash with Spider Dance in the background?

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I always felt in the past that the closest we'd get to an indie in Smash would be an Assist Trophy. And one year ago I saw Shovel Knight appear.

Anything is possible and I could be wrong but I kind of feel like that's the best we're going to get in regards to indie characters.

AntagonisticGalaxyCetacea

Smash Journeyman
I think people are forgetting that if they were to hypothetically do Chris and Jill (or Leon and Claire), that means they would have to make a new base body and recode hitboxes and the like because clearly the two don't match at all. So I don't think that's really happening

I feel like this idea only sprung up because it worked with Hero, but people are forgetting the fact that the other 3 are glorified skins, nothing is different aside from the character designs and the voice clips.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I think people are forgetting that if they were to hypothetically do Chris and Jill (or Leon and Claire), that means they would have to make a new base body and recode hitboxes and the like because clearly the two don't match at all. So I don't think that's really happening

I feel like this idea only sprung up because it worked with Hero, but people are forgetting the fact that the other 3 are glorified skins, nothing is different aside from the character designs and the voice clips.
I think we were talking about it before Hero's reveal actually. Also, I don't think they're body types are so different that they can't share hitboxes like the male and female variants of the Wii Fit Trainer do. I mean, yes Chris's current design is an outlier but it's not necessarily the design they'll go with (Smash likes using the older designs anyway) and he could also be toned down in the muscle department to make it work.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Byleth/Edelgard and the Sword/Shield starters. You can't go more anticlimatic and anti-hype-inducing as that.
Those would unironically be the best parts of the Fighters Pass for me.

I'm expecting things like Doom and Resident Evil which, to me, are more like Dragon Quest in the "I think that makes sense but it's still kinda boring" department.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Those would unironically be the best parts of the Fighters Pass for me.

I'm expecting things like Doom and Resident Evil which, to me, are more like Dragon Quest in the "I think that makes sense but it's still kinda boring" department.
Lol. Meanwhile I’m sitting here, with those same thoughts towards most third parties, but also hoping for first parties with possibly an even smaller chance of making it in.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Steve had the benefit of Vergeben legitimizing the support. With less of a stigma, it helped bring the genuine fans out of the woodwork. Beforehand it seemed a muddy affair anywhere that wasn't dedicated solely to Steve himself. To me at least. That's what I was drawing my comparison from.

Undertale hasn't really had that moment, so past a thread dedicated to Undertale representation, it's difficult to hone in on what exactly lies past the memes in terms of volume.

Though frankly I don't think either fanbase is large enough to get in on that basis. It would obviously be due to the impact of the games.
How many fans took part in the K. Rool and Ridley stuff?

Dunno about Undertale’s tbh but Steve has thousands based on the video I mentioned. Over 100k at least; https://youtu.be/akMjMxXEpTY
Other videos have decent likes but they’re still always much more popular than they are unpopular.

Steve’s fanbase isn’t small, some fans are just quiet. I agree Vergeben helped but it’s not like there weren’t already vocal fans or fans that feared trolls with some superiority complex bashing them before Vergeben.

Last edited:

blackghost

Smash Champion
if we are going to get a normal human character with a gun make it laura croft instead of chris or default jill. I prefer the third party more possibilities. if you dont like it just dont buy it.

only first party characters id like are astral chain or edelgard. edelgard is a popular enough character and a very significant character not just in the newest fire emblem game but the series as a whole.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
The one character I think we’re getting is somebody from Resident Evil. Other than that, most guesses would be as good as mine.

I would be down for Edelgard too. I just don’t expect 1st party picks at this point.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Isn't Frisk supposed to not fight in Undertale?
That depends on how you play the game, though being peaceful didn't stop Villager, Isabelle, Wii Fit Trainer, or Rosalina from being included.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
That depends on how you play the game, though being peaceful didn't stop Villager, Isabelle, Wii Fit Trainer, or Rosalina from being included.
Those characters didn't have the opportunity to fight. Frisk gets attacked and is supposed to choose not to fight.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Those characters didn't have the opportunity to fight. Frisk gets attacked and is supposed to choose not to fight.
Again it depends on how you play the game. You can attack in Undertale there's nothing stopping you. The game just treats it as morally wrong (or at least not without consequences). A proper Frisk moveset would probably use both styles of play.

Nquoid

Smash Ace
But how would you implement the pacifist play style? Undertale goes out of it's way to emotionally punish you if you go about a genocide route. And I don't see how a character built around dodging would work with the playstyle that Smash has.

Obviously we can't doubt that Sakurai might think of something. But he does like to honour the core mechanics of the games that the characters come from, and the memorable parts of the battles in Undertale are the unique minigames for dodging and being able to win without fighting, neither of which would fit in seamlessly.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
But how would you implement the pacifist play style? Undertale goes out of it's way to emotionally punish you if you go about a genocide route. And I don't see how a character built around dodging would work with the playstyle that Smash has.

Obviously we can't doubt that Sakurai might think of something. But he does like to honour the core mechanics of the games that the characters come from, and the memorable parts of the battles in Undertale are the unique minigames for dodging and being able to win without fighting, neither of which would fit in seamlessly.
It's not as if you NEED to make the playstyle be a 1:1 copy of the game he came from. Look at Joker, there is no persona switching in his moveset and his down b is a Smash Bros original. Sometimes compromises can be made for characters. For Frisk you don't need to implement the Genocide/Pacifist mechanics as faithfully as possible. One idea you can do is make his specials based on when his heart changes color in battle. A green heart for example gives him a shield that can defend him from projectiles, that's a possible idea for a down b. A yellow heart makes him fire a projectile, that can be made as his neutral b.

There is potential with the character and I believe that focusing purely on the pacifist aspects of the character is missing the point. Undertale doesn't force you down any particular path, it gives you different options and lets you choose what to do.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
That and there's consequences for Fighting in Undertale so long as you don't kill. You can't kill in Smash, so it's a moot point.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
There is potential with the character and I believe that focusing purely on the pacifist aspects of the character is missing the point. Undertale doesn't force you down any particular path, it gives you different options and lets you choose what to do.
I think it's the choice that makes Undertale unique. If Frisk were to get into smash, then I think he'll have aspects from both pacifist and genocide. You could FIGHT, causing Frisk to act like a normal character (with the unique mechanic of becoming more oppressive the more damage its dealt) or ACT, changing your attacks to silly things that don't do damage and instead make your opponent lose it's will to fight. Once the enemy starts flashing or glowing yellow (or something) you can spare them (which is effectively an instakill that looks like mercy).

There's probably an issue with this scenario and would need tweaking but I think the point still stands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom