• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Or as some have predicted these so-called partner directs are actually a general direct/E3 split into parts. Perhaps FP7 could be presented in that partner direct supposedly next week assuming the character is 3rd party.
That won't happen because Smash is a first party Nintendo franchise. These Partner Showcases are exclusively meant for third party games and you should not expect any first party announcements whatsoever.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Given how busy this month has been already and Nintendo typically likes to space things, October is becoming more and more likely IMO. Time will tell, I suppose, but I don't know if I feel it happening next week. I'm thinking end of this month or early next, honestly.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
That won't happen because Smash is a first party Nintendo franchise. These Partner Showcases are exclusively meant for third party games and you should not expect any first party announcements whatsoever.
Which is why I said assuming FP7 is 3rd party.

Staarih

Smash Master
Can you really blame us though, with their radio silence several times throughout the year
You'd think that people would have gotten used to it by now as the "silence" is the new normal as of now. Better to have no exceptions, potential surprises will feel all the more better.

"Enjoy life" should also be a no-brainer. Being obsessed with video games is s thing, sure, but anticipating for news every day must get exhausting.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
You'd think that people would have gotten used to it by now as the "silence" is the new normal as of now. Better to have no exceptions, potential surprises will feel all the more better.

"Enjoy life" should also be a no-brainer. Being obsessed with video games is s thing, sure, but anticipating for news every day must get exhausting.
Yeah, and obsessing over something like video games can be mentally unhealthy, too, especially if people focus on other things in life.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Next week is the Mario 3D collection, y’all are silly if you think they’re gonna talk about anything other than that all week.
They literally announced Age of Calamity last Tuesday.

Given how busy this month has been already and Nintendo typically likes to space things, October is becoming more and more likely IMO. Time will tell, I suppose, but I don't know if I feel it happening next week. I'm thinking end of this month or early next, honestly.
We're not even halfway through September.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I mean, it's not like you're wrong but at the same time the first Partner Showcase opened with Cadence of Hyrule DLC. Which obviously isn't developed by Nintendo and it could be considered an indie game, but it's still a Zelda title.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

Which is exactly why I haven't been posting as much in here. Pretty much ran out of things to speculate on.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
We just got a Mario anniversary Direct and the announcement of a new Zelda spin-off which will receive a follow-up presentation on the 26th. Now I can understand why some of these announcements wouldn't be exciting to some people, but "radio silence" outside the context of Smash isn't true anymore (and even then, it really hasn't been that long since Min Min).

I'm content for now. Was hoping for a general Direct just like everyone else, but I feel like this will hold me over for a bit. Smash is hype, but that's not the only game I care about.

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
We're not even halfway through September.
Eh, just a gut feeling I have, tbh. I was feeling pretty confident in a September release and I still fully believe it might happen, but I don't know, something just feels off about it. I'm starting to think Shroob Shroob might be right on the money thinking it'll be early October sometime.

Is it being pessimistic? Perhaps, but I'm fine waiting however long it takes regardless, so whether it's this month or next, I'm good. :drshrug:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I still think the next character will be revealed in within the last two weeks of September and then released in the first week of October.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Something I am loathe to admit given how much I liked General Directs is that it has been a little nice to typically have a an announcement to look forward to every week. I'm not going expect happen consistently for the rest of the year, but the past month has felt more forthright with announcements than most of the summer was.

Shroob

Sup?
We just got a Mario anniversary Direct and the announcement of a new Zelda spin-off which will receive a follow-up presentation on the 26th. Now I can understand why some of these announcements wouldn't be exciting to some people, but "radio silence" outside the context of Smash isn't true anymore (and even then, it really hasn't been that long since Min Min).

I'm content for now. Was hoping for a general Direct just like everyone else, but I feel like this will hold me over for a bit. Smash is hype, but that's not the only game I care about.
I mean, this has still very clearly been Nintendo's worst year since the WiiU.

We've had only a handful of actually 'big' releases, and the rest are ports.

I'm excited for the Mario Collection as anyone else, but am I 60$ excited? 60$ excited for 3 games that aren't worth 60 bucks? 60$ excited for 3 games that aren't worth 60 bucks when Crash and Spyro both got full on remakes for their trilogies and are 40 bucks? On top of being a Limited time offer forcing people to have forced FOMO?

Eh, nah, my nostalgia ends with my wallet tbh.

RetroBro

Smash Ace
I mean, this has still very clearly been Nintendo's worst year since the WiiU.

We've had only a handful of actually 'big' releases, and the rest are ports.

I'm excited for the Mario Collection as anyone else, but am I 60$ excited? 60$ excited for 3 games that aren't worth 60 bucks? 60$ excited for 3 games that aren't worth 60 bucks when Crash and Spyro both got full on remakes for their trilogies and are 40 bucks? On top of being a Limited time offer forcing people to have forced FOMO?

Subjective opinion incoming

But the mario games are premium games. Extremely high quality games that literally defined a genre, and also continued to improve its own landscape. Some people might exclude Mario 64 from this I guess because of its age. But it was basically the game that started 3D for every other game.

The Spryo/Crash trilogies are literally from the same system and are small incremental improved games over one another (for the time anyways, many people would look at each game as if they were the same if they weren't familiar with 'em). They're beautifully reskinned, but it was pretty easy for them to implement this and just apply the new art assets to each game because they are literally the same games with some mild variation.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

Don't worry, in six months, it won't be $60 anymore.

It'll be a couple thousand dollars instead. :troll:

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Subjective opinion incoming

But the mario games are premium games. Extremely high quality games that literally defined a genre, and also continued to improve its own landscape. Some people might exclude Mario 64 from this I guess because of its age. But it was basically the game that started 3D for every other game.

The Spryo/Crash trilogies are literally from the same system and are small incremental improved games over one another (for the time anyways, many people would look at each game as if they were the same if they weren't familiar with 'em). They're beautifully reskinned, but it was pretty easy for them to implement this and just apply the new art assets to each game because they are literally the same games with some mild variation.
Premium is a completely arbitrary label. Mario 64 was being sold for 10 bucks on the Wii/WiiU, and Galaxy 2, which is the best substitute I can find for Galaxy 1, is 20 bucks on the Eshop.

That means you're effectively paying an extra 10 bucks for convenience and 'slightly' better graphics if you consider that Sunshine would probably share Galaxy 1's pricetag.

I get being a fanboy, I ****ing love Sunshine, but to say that the Collection isn't overpriced and made even worse by the timed exclusivity is hilariously wrong.

RetroBro

Smash Ace
Premium is a completely arbitrary label. Mario 64 was being sold for 10 bucks on the Wii/WiiU, and Galaxy 2, which is the best substitute I can find for Galaxy 1, is 20 bucks on the Eshop.

That means you're effectively paying an extra 10 bucks for convenience and 'slightly' better graphics if you consider that Sunshine would probably share Galaxy 1's pricetag.

I get being a fanboy, I ****ing love Sunshine, but to say that the Collection isn't overpriced and made even worse by the timed exclusivity is hilariously wrong.

The business practice behind it is questionable but I don't think comparing it across the board to Crash/Spyro is 100% fair. Like I said, I think art assets being changed for Spryo/Crash was extremely easy compared to changing art assets for the 3 main games in Mario 3D Allstars --- Not that Nintendo even made any attempt to begin with.

My major point, as you put it, the arbitrary label I applied to Mario can be debated. But Galaxy is leagues ahead of any of the Spyro/Crash in relative terms of quality, it's not even a contest. I can't speak for Sunshine as I've only sunk a few hours into it over the years. And as far as Mario 64 goes... well again, it's not the best aged game, but it set a high bar for 3D games in the 90s and the early millennium.

The reason I'm deciding to debate this is because I feel there is common ground to meet here. People have brought up Crash and Spyro quite a bit in the past week or so. But I just don't agree with the point all the way. 40$ for the trilogies is a great price. Hell, I have both of them for the Switch lmao. But they just don't really compare to Mario across 3 generations of gaming consoles.

Again, the business side of it is sketchy. The development side of it is... lazy. But I'm not ready to lump Spyro/Crash into the same corner as god damn Mario lmfao.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
There hasn't been radio silence but news and announcements have been sporadic. I like that the Hyrule Warriors trailer told us a date to expect more news.

What a novel idea! Letting us know when they plan to tell us stuff instead of doing it randomly. Who would've thought? (This is obviously sarcasm.)

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
To be perfectly frank I'm not impressed at them finally offering the likes of a fairly unavailable game like Sunshine as part of a collection when it was Nintendo's refusal to ever re-release it either physical or digital format in the last 18 years that caused it to be so unavailable to begin with. Finally somewhat catching up to the rest of the industry when it comes to market distribution of older games doesn't exactly have me rushing to offer praise.

Last edited:

XorahnGaia

Smash Journeyman
It just bonkers to me that Activision of all companies put more love and effort into their collections of two franchises that they didn't even create compared to what Nintendo did for the anniversary of its flagship series.

Shroob

Sup?
Tbf the convenience isn’t just having em all on one system, but having them on a handheld as well.
There's definitely something to be said about paying an extra fee for convenience.

But then you take a step back and look at what you're paying for and realize, "Wow, this game looks kinda lazy."

I ****ing LOVE Sunshine, but I'm not a graphics *****, I can barely tell the difference in the better graphics, and if it's there... does it really matter. If you're a die hard fan of these games, more power to you... but at the same time, 60 bucks for this seems very rough, and the only reason I'd bite is pure nostalgia.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
They are premium games quality-wise, but if someone gave me the best five NES games in a bundle, I wouldn't pay $60 for it, because over time the retail value of older games diminishes. In 2040 they aren't still going to charge you $60 for Odyssey, unless they totally remake it.

That said, I don't think the price of the collection is so ridiculous as to be indefensible, but its limited nature is upsetting and the fact that they didn't do much to go above and beyond for an anniversary collection other than upscale the games and provide some music is a bit underwhelming.

To be fair though, a bundle should be cheaper than the sum of its parts, and the Mario collection isn't (or at least, wouldn't be had they ever actually released Gamecube titles digitally), so I won't challenge those who say it's overpriced.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
The 3D collection would have been worth the money if Super Mario 64 was remade from the ground up, displayed in 1080p 60fps with DS remake features and made Mario Sunshine run at 60fps with full GameCube controller support.

Then it'd be 100% worth buying.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The 3D collection would have been worth the money if Super Mario 64 was remade from the ground up, displayed in 1080p 60fps with DS remake features and made Mario Sunshine run at 60fps with full GameCube controller support.

Then it'd be 100% worth buying.
If they remade Mario 64 from the ground up with the DS feature they 100% would've charged full price for it as a standalone game.

Shroob

Sup?
The business practice behind it is questionable but I don't think comparing it across the board to Crash/Spyro is 100% fair. Like I said, I think art assets being changed for Spryo/Crash was extremely easy compared to changing art assets for the 3 main games in Mario 3D Allstars --- Not that Nintendo even made any attempt to begin with.

My major point, as you put it, the arbitrary label I applied to Mario can be debated. But Galaxy is leagues ahead of any of the Spyro/Crash in relative terms of quality, it's not even a contest. I can't speak for Sunshine as I've only sunk a few hours into it over the years. And as far as Mario 64 goes... well again, it's not the best aged game, but it set a high bar for 3D games in the 90s and the early millennium.

The reason I'm deciding to debate this is because I feel there is common ground to meet here. People have brought up Crash and Spyro quite a bit in the past week or so. But I just don't agree with the point all the way. 40$ for the trilogies is a great price. Hell, I have both of them for the Switch lmao. But they just don't really compare to Mario across 3 generations of gaming consoles.

Again, the business side of it is sketchy. The development side of it is... lazy. But I'm not ready to lump Spyro/Crash into the same corner as god damn Mario lmfao.
I think it speaks volumes when Activision, a company that's notoriously scummy, is able to get someone on board who not only shows an extreme love and care for the IPs that they're handling, but frankly turns them into some of the most gorgeous games out there right now. I'm not a graphics *****, but I've seen what 4k HD Spyro Reignited looks like, and that game is stunning.

Likewise... Nintendo upscales some graphics and gib 60 bucks.

Would I still buy the HD Collection? Probably, and I probably will. Do I think that it's an extremely lazy port and that they're forcing people into a "BUY NOW OR IT'S GONE FOREVEEEEEEEEEEER" mindset? That much is obvious.

Animegamingnerd

Smash Ace
If they remade Mario 64 from the ground up with the DS feature they 100% would've charged full price for it as a standalone game.
Especially considering Sunshine and Galaxy play nothing like 64 and were built with entirely different assets on different hardware. With Crash and Spyro the original three games in their respective series played and looked so similarly to each other that it wouldn't cost too much to remake all 3 of them at once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom