• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I'm kinda hoping one of the remaining third parties is either Ragna or Sol. Entirely because it's going to bug me that Arc system works got involved in smash yet didn't have their fighting game guy fight in the same arena as Capcom, Sega (assist), Namco (Mii) and SNK's fighting game guys
Sakurai: "So here are the command inputs for this character." shows graphic
  • Gun Flame: :GCD::GCDR::GCR::GCB:
  • Volcanic Viper: :GCR::GCD::GCDR::GCB:
  • Bandit Revolver: :GCD::GCDR::GCR::GCA:
  • Bandit Bringer: :GCD::GCDL::GCL::GCB:
  • Night Raid Vortex: :GCD::GCDL::GCL::GCA:
  • Fafnir: :GCL::GCDL::GCD::GCDR::GCR::GCB:
Smash Fans: "Oh no...It's the return of the dreaded quarter circle forward!"

D

Deleted member

If I cannot even play Terry that well, I am scared to imagine how well I will do in games like Street Fighter...

The funny thing is I won SFV in a raffle, but I am not good at the game.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
What if we got Lu Bu with the Dynasty Warriors controls?
I think that was suggested a while back after Min Min came along and shook up the formula. It would be interesting to have the Dynasty Warriors combos, though it might get repetitive from a fighting game standpoint. I'd imagine we could just give his normals combo strings and have his specials double up as specials.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
What if we got Lu Bu with the Dynasty Warriors controls?
Sooo...normal Smash controls?

I think that was suggested a while back after Min Min came along and shook up the formula. It would be interesting to have the Dynasty Warriors combos, though it might get repetitive from a fighting game standpoint. I'd imagine we could just give his normals combo strings and have his specials double up as specials.
Oh he meant the combo system? That'd actually be really cool! It'd be super fun to see a character that could whip out some really stupid hitboxes after using a few of their normals.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Well Since nothing much is going on, I want to provide a Theory i thought of yesterday concerning Fighter Pass 2 and it's characters

I Don't know the Name to call this Theory, So I'll call it Extra Theory (However, this theory is not about Bonus Fighters, you'll see what I mean if you read the Theory)

TL;DR: There was always gonna be 2 Extra characters after FP1 (even without FP2) and it’s likely Ryu Hayubusa and Reimu were those characters. When FP2 was decided, 4 extra characters (Including Min-Min) was decided. One of the 3 other extra characters is likely RPG Related.

A Theory about how 2 of the characters in FP2, were decided earlier on than the other 4

Sakurai mentioned that he thought “1 or 2 more” were sufficient in the Byleth Presentation. It’s possible that there were only gonna be 2 More characters at most, but Nintendo decided on a Full Pass.

Who were the 1- 2 extra characters supposed to be...my Guess: Ryu and Reimu

-Both are very easy to license

-Ryu Appeals to Western Audience, Reimu appeals to Japanese audience

-Rumors have been circulating around these 2 for awhile. The Doujin leak with Reimu, and the stuff with IamShifty and Brew with Ryu

-Koei has presence in game with Fatal Frame Spirits, and Byleth (since they were involved in creation of 3H, even if they don’t own Byleth). No Fully owned Koei content is in the game though.

-Ryu (Street Fighter) Had his Announcer Call changed in the German version of the game. He was the only Character that was in Smash 4 to get this distinction. It might have something to do with Ryu Being Planned or something

-Indie content has been increasing, however Reimu is still absent. Shovel Knight, Shantae, Sans, Cuphead are already in the game in some form, but Reimu, who’s especially popular in Japan and has the most legacy of all these indies is still absent can be considered bizarre

-A Trademark for “Hakurei Shrine” was given ownership in February of this year (Keep in mind being granted ownership is not the same as Filing. Filing is the start of the process, and being given ownership is the end of it). Considering Negotiations for Characters in the FP not only include the character themselves, but also what stage, I think that this could be indicator of Reimu coming

So what was the Initial plan if this theory is true

Well it goes like this

-FP1 Characters are decided and Finalized

-Sometime shortly after or during, Ryu and Reimu are also Decided on for any extra characters in the future. This period occurs somewhere from November 2018 to April of 2019 (or May).

-DLC Seems to sell extremely well, perhaps way above Nintendo’s Expectations. Decides to Greenlit a 2nd Season Pass in June of 2019, or around E3

-Extra 4 Characters are decided on between the Time of June of 2019 to November of 2019. Min-Min is one of these characters

-Once the characters are all decided, All the characters are Finalized and the order of characters release is decided upon as well. Min-Min is decided as the first character to be released

-More Mii costumes also have to be negotiated for, since an Extra 4 characters means more Mii Costumes needed

Now what do Mii Costumes also have to do with this Theory

-In total, there are 25 Mii Costumes in FP1

-With Heihachi not Included (who did come back in FP2) there are still 6 Remaining veteran costumes left), and with Heihachi, ups the total to 32 Costumes. However there is still more

-Sans, Cuphead, and Vault Boy were likely decided around the Time of FP1. Remember that Bethesda talked to Nintendo as E3 of 2018. Sans I believe took 6 Months to make, and there was a Megalovania Music Takedown 9 Months before he showed up. Cuphead probably was discussed when Banjo was in talking phase (even if Microsoft doesn’t own Cuphead). Brings the total to 35 Characters

-Even if FP1 Went in a 6 Costume format per pack, there will still be 5 Left over. Also take into account that if There more 2 more Fighters after this, and that they were Ryu and Reimu, they would come with New costumes that represent their Series or Company, so the number is certainly higher than 35

-No Koei Costume has been added, Especially since Byleth is associated with Koei due to Involvement in 3H. Suspicious

-Level-5 also has been absent in general in Smash Ultimate, and Considering how close they are to Nintendo, it’s very suspicious. It’s entirely possible for Level-5 to have a character, but a also likely scenario is that they are getting Mii Costumes (which may be why we haven’t gotten Spirit event or anything so far). If this scenario is true, would also add to number of Mii Costumes added in this scenario

-Considering Ubisoft got Costumes, despite them only having Spirits in base game, it’s possible Shovel Knight might also get Mii costume, since he does have an Assist Trophy in base game and such.

So this is what the Scenario looks like

Added Between November 2018- April (or May) of 2019 (before a Full FP2 was decided)

Ryu
Reimu

Added Between June 2019-November 2019, when Full FP2 was being Decided

Min-Min
???
???
???

So who could be the other 3 Fighters, well.

-All of the Missing Costumes (Geno, Chocobo, Lloyd, Gil, Both Monster Hunter Armors) are RPG related. My guess is that one of the 3 Characters left is an RPG Character

-As for the Other 2, Your guess is as good as mine. Yes

Shroob

Sup?
Well Since nothing much is going on, I want to provide a Theory i thought of yesterday concerning Fighter Pass 2 and it's characters

I Don't know the Name to call this Theory, So I'll call it Extra Theory (However, this theory is not about Bonus Fighters, you'll see what I mean if you read the Theory)

TL;DR: There was always gonna be 2 Extra characters after FP1 (even without FP2) and it’s likely Ryu Hayubusa and Reimu were those characters. When FP2 was decided, 4 extra characters (Including Min-Min) was decided. One of the 3 other extra characters is likely RPG Related.

A Theory about how 2 of the characters in FP2, were decided earlier on than the other 4

Sakurai mentioned that he thought “1 or 2 more” were sufficient in the Byleth Presentation. It’s possible that there were only gonna be 2 More characters at most, but Nintendo decided on a Full Pass.

-Rumors have been circulating around these 2 for awhile. The Doujin leak with Reimu, and the stuff with IamShifty and Brew with Ryu

-Koei has presence in game with Fatal Frame Spirits, and Byleth (since they were involved in creation of 3H, even if they don’t own Byleth). No Fully owned Koei content is in the game though.

-Ryu (Street Fighter) Had his Announcer Call changed in the German version of the game. He was the only Character that was in Smash 4 to get this distinction. It might have something to do with Ryu Being Planned or something

-Indie content has been increasing, however Reimu is still absent. Shovel Knight, Shantae, Sans, Cuphead are already in the game in some form, but Reimu, who’s especially popular in Japan and has the most legacy of all these indies is still absent can be considered bizarre

-A Trademark for “Hakurei Shrine” was given ownership in February of this year (Keep in mind being granted ownership is not the same as Filing. Filing is the start of the process, and being given ownership is the end of it). Considering Negotiations for Characters in the FP not only include the character themselves, but also what stage, I think that this could be indicator of Reimu coming

Well it goes like this

-Sometime shortly after or during, Ryu and Reimu are also Decided on for any extra characters in the future. This period occurs somewhere from November 2018 to April of 2019 (or May).

-DLC Seems to sell extremely well, perhaps way above Nintendo’s Expectations. Decides to Greenlit a 2nd Season Pass in June of 2019, or around E3

-Extra 4 Characters are decided on between the Time of June of 2019 to November of 2019. Min-Min is one of these characters

-Once the characters are all decided, All the characters are Finalized and the order of characters release is decided upon as well. Min-Min is decided as the first character to be released

-More Mii costumes also have to be negotiated for, since an Extra 4 characters means more Mii Costumes needed

-With Heihachi not Included (who did come back in FP2) there are still 6 Remaining veteran costumes left), and with Heihachi, ups the total to 32 Costumes. However there is still more

-Sans, Cuphead, and Vault Boy were likely decided around the Time of FP1. Remember that Bethesda talked to Nintendo as E3 of 2018. Sans I believe took 6 Months to make, and there was a Megalovania Music Takedown 9 Months before he showed up. Cuphead probably was discussed when Banjo was in talking phase (even if Microsoft doesn’t own Cuphead). Brings the total to 35 Characters

-Even if FP1 Went in a 6 Costume format per pack, there will still be 5 Left over. Also take into account that if There more 2 more Fighters after this, and that they were Ryu and Reimu, they would come with New costumes that represent their Series or Company, so the number is certainly higher than 35

-No Koei Costume has been added, Especially since Byleth is associated with Koei due to Involvement in 3H. Suspicious

-Level-5 also has been absent in general in Smash Ultimate, and Considering how close they are to Nintendo, it’s very suspicious. It’s entirely possible for Level-5 to have a character, but a also likely scenario is that they are getting Mii Costumes (which may be why we haven’t gotten Spirit event or anything so far). If this scenario is true, would also add to number of Mii Costumes added in this scenario

-Considering Ubisoft got Costumes, despite them only having Spirits in base game, it’s possible Shovel Knight might also get Mii costume, since he does have an Assist Trophy in base game and such.

Added Between November 2018- April (or May) of 2019 (before a Full FP2 was decided)

Ryu
Reimu

Min-Min
???
???
???

-All of the Missing Costumes (Geno, Chocobo, Lloyd, Gil, Both Monster Hunter Armors) are RPG related. My guess is that one of the 3 Characters left is an RPG Character

Hakurei Shrine trademark?

Haven't heard of that, but that sounds like a lot of nothing tbh.

While yeah, that'd probably be her stage, why would they trademark it of all things? You don't see any other 3rd party companies going out and trademarking the name of Smash stages.

Last edited:

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman

Well it goes like this

Ryu
Reimu

Min-Min
???
???
???

Hmmm, that was an interesting read. Jury's out on whether those Hayabusa or Reimu rumors held any water, but it'd be really cool to see something like this actually pan out.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
This seems like a pretty awful base to use for an argument. Just like "new to the series" and "new worlds" before it, I highly doubt a comment like this is indicative of anything.

That and if Reimu and Ryu were decided first then one of them would have been the first character, not Min Min.

Shroob

Sup?
Yeah the big :Hmmst: here is this supposed Hakurei Shrine trademark.

I don't see why they'd trademark a stage name when no other 3rd party company does this to my knowledge.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Yeah the big :Hmmst: here is this supposed Hakurei Shrine trademark.

I don't see why they'd trademark a stage name when no other 3rd party company does this to my knowledge.
If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say it's because it hadn't already been trademarked. Companies trademark their stuff right away but iirc, The Touhou Project getting trademarks and stuff is a fairly recent occurrence.

7NATOR

Smash Master
Hakurei Shrine trademark?

Haven't heard of that, but that sounds like a lot of nothing tbh.

While yeah, that'd probably be her stage, why would they trademark it of all things? You don't see any other 3rd party companies going out and trademarking the name of Smash stages.
I think the Situation is that Hakurei Shrine has never been Trademarked. The fact that it wasn't a Trademark renewal (because it said the Trademark was given ownership, meaning First time Trademark has been filed) is why i think it's interesting

I assume with The Other Companies, their Locations are already Trademark when it comes to negotations. It seems to not have been the case with Touhou. If Touhou was getting a character in Smash, the would need Official Trademark in Negotations, so yes

This seems like a pretty awful base to use for an argument. Just like "new to the series" and "new worlds" before it, I highly doubt a comment like this is indicative of anything.

That and if Reimu and Ryu were decided first then one of them would have been the first character, not Min Min.
I just thought the comment was interesting. It might have meant nothing, but with Speculation, there could be more under the surface

and I go over the "Min-Min was first" Point in the theory. The First Characters negotiated aren't the First characters Made and Released. They probably decide the order after all the characters are negotiated for. It's kind of like there's stuff suggesting Hero was actually supposed to be the First character, but Joker was decided to be first after all.

Shroob

Sup?
If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say it's because it hadn't already been trademarked. Companies trademark their stuff right away but iirc, The Touhou Project getting trademarks and stuff is a fairly recent occurrence.
Well, that's partially due to the nature of the series where it's a "You can do whatever you want with it as long as you cite your work as non-canon".

I really still doubt this means anything though. Reimu would be sick as hell, but...ehhhhhhhh?

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Another thing that was suggested over on her support thread was that it could just be because there's an actual Hakurei Shrine out there that Touhou's Hakurei Shrine is based off of, and ZUN might want to try and differentiate them. If Reimu's coming to Smash I could see why ZUN might want to trademark his properties fully, but at the same time I could see him wanting to do that regardless.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
The First Characters negotiated aren't the First characters Made and Released. They probably decide the order after all the characters are negotiated for. It's kind of like there's stuff suggesting Hero was actually supposed to be the First character, but Joker was decided to be first after all.
But if they had been decided on so early in advance they would have already have work done on them no?

Shroob

Sup?
I think one thing to note is that the game had an official mobile game launch in late April in Japan.

Don't get your hopes up TOO high.

Evanosha

Smash Rookie
Who else just stopped caring completely about this game? Radio silence, the community controversies, and the last two picks really killed all of my hype remaining.

Shroob

Sup?
I think one thing to note is that the game had an official mobile game launch in late April in Japan.

Don't get your hopes up TOO high.

This game also uses Doujin Music, so, yeah.

7NATOR

Smash Master
But if they had been decided on so early in advance they would have already have work done on them no?
Depends on when it was decided

It's said that a Full FP2 was decided in June of 2019, and Finalization occurred sometime between then and November of 2019.

If we go with the fact that 3 Characters are worked on at once, by that time, Hero and Banjo were still being worked on, along with Terry. Hero releases in July and Productions ramps up on Terry and Production starts on Byleth. I think sometime right before Banjo releases (as Releases are delayed from when the actual character is finished) is when the First Post pass character starts production. By then they probably already had good idea of who's gonna be in and what type of order they want

That's also assuming they didn't take any type of break before they resumed work. Considering that it's likely that the Staff grew smaller and Reshifted after work on FP1 was done, there could have been a intermediate period.

This game also uses Doujin Music, so, yeah.
Interesting. I guess it could be for that, Though I do think it could be an interesting point towards a Smash Inclusion. I also did hear about the Real Hakurei Shrine Situation thta Sharklord was talking about. yes

SNEKeater

Smash Master
It just bonkers to me that Activision of all companies put more love and effort into their collections of two franchises that they didn't even create compared to what Nintendo did for the anniversary of its flagship series.
I mean... not only Activision.
Almost everyone that makes collections or remakes sell the game at a lesser price. Not only this gen but also during the previous gen. I mean, you could find a lot of HD Collections of franchises for 40 bucks, including 2-3 games. The Metal Gear Solid Collection, Tomb Raider Collection, ICO & Shadow of the Colossus HD, God of War Collection, Devil May Cry 1-3, and more examples.

Then you have other examples, such as the remaster of Okami. I literally bought the game for 20€ when it came out on PS4. Or big ass remakes such as the Shadow of the Colossus PS4 for 40, being essentially 1:1 to the original, or Resident Evil 2 and Final Fantasy VII Remake, which came out at 60 bucks but as a high budget games, changes and additions.
In the end, the Mario Collection being 60 dollars is the least of it's problems in comparison to other examples.

TL:DR Most companies handle remasters/remakers like 20 times better than Nintendo, with games such as Metroid: Samus Returns being the exception.

I kinda feel like Guilty Gear is hella slept on. We already know that ArcSys gave Sakurai the rights to River City Ransom for a Spirit event, so the relationship is there.
GG TALK??? I'M COMING

I don't know if it's hella slept on, but not gonna lie, I felt that an ArcSys character seemed somewhat more likely after the spirits they added, which were included not that long after they announced Pass 2, by the way.

Sol or Ragna are still unlikely in my opinion, but definitely not impossible.

Shroob

Sup?
I mean... not only Activision.
Almost everyone that makes collections or remakes sell the game at a lesser price. Not only this gen but also during the previous gen. I mean, you could find a lot of HD Collections of franchises for 40 bucks, including 2-3 games. The Metal Gear Solid Collection, Tomb Raider Collection, ICO & Shadow of the Colossus HD, God of War Collection, Devil May Cry 1-3, and more examples.

Then you have other examples, such as the remaster of Okami. I literally bought the game for 20€ when it came out on PS4. Or big ass remakes such as the Shadow of the Colossus PS4 for 40, being essentially 1:1 to the original, or Resident Evil 2 and Final Fantasy VII Remake, which came out at 60 bucks but as a high budget games, changes and additions.
In the end, the Mario Collection being 60 dollars is the least of it's problems in comparison to other examples.

TL:DR Most companies handle remasters/remakers like 20 times better than Nintendo, with games such as Metroid: Samus Returns being the exception.

GG TALK??? I'M COMING

I don't know if it's hella slept on, but not gonna lie, I felt that an ArcSys character seemed somewhat more likely after the spirits they added, which were included not that long after they announced Pass 2, by the way.

Sol or Ragna are still unlikely in my opinion, but definitely not impossible.
Dustloops in Smash would be a hell of a sight.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Where was this said? To my knowledge, that's just when the announcement of more fighters was filmed.

I suspect that they decided to do a second fighter pass much earlier than that.
I think Imran Khan said it was decided around one of the E3’s but I don’t remember if it was E3 2018 or 2019.

I guess it had to be 19

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Where was this said? To my knowledge, that's just when the announcement of more fighters was filmed.

I suspect that they decided to do a second fighter pass much earlier than that.
Imran Kahn I believe said that FP2 was Greenlit around the time of E3 2019. The guy that recently just Predicted the Hyrule Warriors Game that got shadowdropped

Last edited:

Powerman293

Smash Ace
At this point, just give me a list of the rest of the characters. The hype train has been derailed way too much and Smash can't recover from it.

And considering the competitive community are afraid to even think about hosting locals even after the last FP2 character comes out and there's multiple vaccines available, this game is dead to me.

D

Deleted member

I mean, there haven't been any leakers since MinMin was very subtly leaked.
My apologies. I totally understand. No more failures from me. May you have a nice day. I think I should improve. Nobody is going to care about this post.

Last edited by a moderator:

7NATOR

Smash Master
Since there's mention of Characters people are Sleeping on

When it Comes to Nintendo Franchise, there may be some merit to Rhythm Heaven perhaps getting a Character in FP2, Considering they were considered for Smash 4 if the Datamine and Gematsu is to be believed. and them feeling like a Base roster character is a little void considering alot of people would have said the Same for ARMS. Rhythm as a Gameplay mechanic is also something complete new to Smash

The thing is that i wonder why they were scrapped, and also is their Music Rights issues with the Franchise and stuff?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think Imran Khan said it was decided around one of the E3’s but I don’t remember if it was E3 2018 or 2019.

I guess it had to be 19
Imran Kahn I believe said that FP2 was Greenlit around the time of E3 2019. The guy that recently just Predicted the Hyrule Warriors Game that got shadowdropped
Can someone get me the source?

Despite what he said, I have a hard time believing that Nintendo, who is always four and a half steps ahead of what they actually announce, would record a video talking about there being additional fighters so close to the decision.

Now, granted, that doesn't mean they decided on another actual fighter pass until around then, but I still find it tough to reconcile the intention for a second pass not predating E3 2019 (which is when it'd have to be) by quite a while.

Where I'll concede is by E3 2019, maybe they hadn't finalized every choice, perhaps they hadn't added the sixth, "extra" character, but I can't get behind the idea that that's when the plan for a second pass came together. If that's what Imran is claiming, despite him being generally credible, I don't believe him.

SKX31

Smash Master
Sakurai: "So here are the command inputs for this character." shows graphic

Smash Fans: "Oh no...It's the return of the dreaded quarter circle forward!"
Meanwhile, shoto mains learn Ragna in 15 minutes and one of them posts a youtube video detailing a 75 % true combo involving cancelling jab into Gun Flame and then F-Air into Fafnir.

95 % of the Elite Smash playerbase: ****.

At this point, just give me a list of the rest of the characters. The hype train has been derailed way too much and Smash can't recover from it.

And considering the competitive community are afraid to even think about hosting locals even after the last FP2 character comes out and there's multiple vaccines available, this game is dead to me.
That honestly sounds a bit too pessimistic. Especially given that there's this:

Yes, it was rather small in terms of player size, but there are still (masked) locals taking place here and there. Recent highlight vids from YEET Smash and Dragon Smash feature clips from those masked offline tournaments (mostly locals). This video for example which features a clip from a recent French local.

That said, the competitive scene's also going to be extra cautious not just due to the pandemic, but also since the allegations have made the remaining community leaders adamant about needed changes. The Smash Community Panel recently had a 3 hour Twitch stream where they discussed how to move forward. And honestly, those changes are neccessary, and it's a good thing that the remaining community leaders have pretty much rallied around this (commentators like Coney and TKBreezy for example).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Who else just stopped caring completely about this game? Radio silence, the community controversies, and the last two picks really killed all of my hype remaining.
I’m still like mildly invested in speculation but my true focus is on card games: I literally haven’t touched Smash in months. Just no interest really. I’m more invested in the who rather then the game itself :terryhat:

Last edited by a moderator:

Shroob

Sup?
After watching some of that Touhou Gameplay, while I can't say for sure that the Hakurei Shrine trademark is for that game, I'm fairly certain that the doujin music trademark is.

The game uses a lot of Doujin songs from a lot of the high profile circles in the scene like IOSYS and Cool&Create, some of the biggest Doujin music circles that regularly do Touhou-related content.

I can't necessarily pin the Shrine to it, since, the game covers a lot of locations in the world, and seemingly none of those were trademarked, but the music seems like a lock in that regard.

The Shrine however, is still an enigma.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom