• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Newcomer/DLC Speculation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

cosmicB

Smash Ace
I'm gonna call bull on anything that brings up quote-unquote "toxic characters." That's just gonna keep the cycle going on. The only characters that are toxic are the ones that actually use poison in their moveset; Any toxic discourse comes from the people discussing them.
People can be toxic too, and at least some of those toxic people will exit the speculation scene entirely when they get who they want (or who they want gets hard deconfirmed). This isn't an indictment on the character but rather all sizable character fanbases. The bigger you are, the more people you're going to pull in, and that's going to include less than savory personalities.

Don't get me wrong, there will absolutely be toxic discussion post-Geno (whatever his fate may be), but I imagine they'll be a dip in it, even if it builds back up again later on.

SKX31

Smash Master
Imagine if we actually do get another Sega character and it's not any of the ones were talking about lol
Aaaw yeah, we're gettin' Shoguns.

Time to wage Total War.

(Edit: Yes, Total War is one of the franchises I really enjoyed as a teen, and as incredibly, ludicrously unlikely as it would be, I'd welcome it.)

Last edited:

Monue

Smash Apprentice
Some people are saying a private video was added to the Smash youtube playlist last night? I don't know which one, but it's what I'm hearing. Might be good news coming!

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Imagine if we actually do get another Sega character and it's not any of the ones were talking about lol

BD Joe would be fun but I wouldn't be okay with him unless Nintendo could license All I Want by the Offspring

Zobio and Zobiko could be fun house of the dead is relatively popular I think

We only talk about Kiryu and not my boy Majima...

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
Real talk, Monkey Ball would be hecking sick.

Like, I have so many fond memories of playing minigames like billiards and Monkey Target with my folks, I'd absolutely adore Monkey Ball in Smash Bros.
I'd also be for it, but one of my main questions is how they'd handle the ball opening / closing. Would the ball be closed most of the time (for movements etc.) and then open up when attacking? If so that could pose some difficulties with animating the thing (and I've voiced my complains about Olimar in the past due to him being small and difficult to see what he's doing*). Or would the ball be open most of the time and close for certain attacks? That would look kinda strange IMHO.

*(Yeah, I know, it's also difficult to portray Olimar in any other way since he's a commander, but I'd welcome some animation changes to make his attacks more distinct.)

Monue

Smash Apprentice
First I'm hearing of it.

Go on.
I don't know. I looked, it looked like there were a few private videos there. I'm not sure where I'm supposed to be looking. Some people on a discord I follow are discussing it. Just said that Nintendo privated a video on the Smash Bros Ult page.

Shroob

Sup?
I don't know. I looked, it looked like there were a few private videos there. I'm not sure where I'm supposed to be looking. Some people on a discord I follow are discussing it. Just said that Nintendo privated a video on the Smash Bros Ult page.
1599421020204.png

Color me skeptical, because if this were a thing, surely more people would have noticed and been losing their **** by now.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
wait whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

can anyone check real quick?
I checked on it there are quite a few private videos but I remember that Nintendo privated a bunch of videos because of the situation earlier this year and Japanese exclusive tourneys. I can't tell unless there is information about how many videos were privated earlier this year

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
I find it hard to think of how AiAi would work in Smash, and I don't think having him outside the ball at all would be effective since that ruins the whole point of Monkey Ball

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Can we just get a pack of six Sega characters, please?

You could easily fill a whole pass with them and it'd be 10/10.
Oh, I got it!

1. Sonic & Knuckles
  2. & Knuckles
  3. & Knuckles
  4. & Knuckles
  5. & Knuckles
Sounds good.

. . .That reminds me though, why hasn't the "+ Bowser's Fury" part for the 3D World port been added to this common game cover additions yet. . .?

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Oh, I got it!

1. Sonic & Knuckles
  2. & Knuckles
  3. & Knuckles
  4. & Knuckles
  5. & Knuckles
Sounds good.

. . .That reminds me though, why hasn't the "+ Bowser's Fury" part for the 3D World port been added to this common game cover additions yet. . .?
i mean they do add "Bowser's Minions" from Superstar Saga 3D to those memes so

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Interestingly, a lot of the Sega characters have something in the design of their OG games that would pose a challenge (in a good way) for Sakurai when it comes to adapting them. NiGHTS always flies and controls in a very specific way, AiAi stays inside the ball an moves as the stage tilts, Billy Hatcher is pretty much defenseless without rolling an egg or hatching an Egg Animal. B.D. Joe is always inside his taxi, and so on.

Not gonna lie, I would love to see what crazy stuff Sakurai would come up with to represent the elements of their original games. Unorthodox fighters are often fun to play.

Last edited:

SirCamp

Smash Ace
someone brought up which companies we might see in the rest of the pass earlier in the thread and most people seem to dismiss Konami, but I’ve been thinking about it and I think we might be sleeping on Bomberman a bit. Now I know he’s an AT, but hear me out.

It strikes me that, particularly in the case of third party characters, a character becoming an AT seems to, at least on Nintendo’s side of things, indicate some degree of importance associated with the character. I mean Nintendo went to the trouble of negotiating rights for that character to be in the game while knowing there were no plans to make them playable. They wouldn’t do that for just any character. It seems to me that, knowing a character wouldn’t make the game based on their current plans, a third party character getting AT is Nintendo throwing them and their fans a bone.

But things have changed and now more characters are being added. So why wouldn’t they revisit them? It still doesn’t make sense that an earlier decision to make them an AT would hold them back, especially as like I said, these are clearly characters that Nintendo felt important enough to include at all to begin with.

On top of this, they already negotiated the rights to that character. While I’m sure the change would require further negotiation, it stand to reason that this implies the dev is willing to play ball and I assume the process would be much easier.

And a fun little thing about Bomberman in particular is that him appearing on stage as both an AT and playable character at the same time wouldn’t even be weird canonically. Just make them different colors and you’re good.

Same goes for Monster Hunter tbh. MH got significant content on release knowing that it wasn’t in the cards for base game or DLC. But like I said things have clearly changed and we got more DLC. So, given that, why wouldn’t Nintendo revisit that once new plans are being made? Clearly MH and Bomberman are important enough to go through the trouble of negotiating for. It stands to reason that they would be at least considered now.

Of course it’s possible they got the AT status because they were deemed unworkable for playable for whatever reason. But we certainly don’t have any insight on that and from our perspective it could have just been that they had time and resources for x characters and they unfortunately got sidelined due to happenstance.

Goombaic

Smash Ace
Not expecting anything until next month at best. It seems that the Mario anniversary will be making up most of their major announcements for the rest of the year, but I can see a general presentation giving updates on games we already know about like Bravely Default 2 and BotW 2 happening this year. The Ninji event was delayed a long time thanks to the pandemic as well, so they probably aren't in a hurry to make announcements.
This would be great. No Kiryu? Thank go-
We only talk about Kiryu and not my boy Majima...
Never mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom